Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Department of Mysteries

Old June 28th, 2003, 7:25 pm
Third Year

I agree that love does sound a little cheesy. Perhaps JKR will use a different word or a different concept. However, whatever is in that room is extremely important and the mystery of which I think will be the basis for Book 7 if not Book 6 also.

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:37 pm
First Year

Hey there!

The force locked in that room is pure love.

And I think there will be the place of the last fight between Harry and Voldemort. Just before that door..in the circular room.

We´ll have to wait ages....untill we finally know!

Regards,
Madelina

Old June 28th, 2003, 10:42 pm
First Year

Quote:
Perhaps JKR will use a different word or a different concept.
I hope so. She will probably make it so it is not too cheesy even if it is pure love. I reckon there will be a really cool battle, probably book 7. Book 6 could be the fight of dementors, giants and death eaters vs everyone else.

Old July 11th, 2003, 6:56 pm
Banned

Behind the Locked Door......

OK.... I was listening to Ootp for the first time... ive read 2wice.. but anywayz.. When Dumbledores explaing to Harry about the Propechy Harry askes how he could defeat voldy he dosnt have powers like him blah blah blah... Now DD said that Harry has the power of Love..right... yea but whats behind the door it confused me a little.... he said that whats behind the door harr y as alot of and voldy has none...Love? How can love be in a room I dono some smart ppl help me lol!:??:

Old July 11th, 2003, 8:25 pm
Second Year

behind what door?

Old July 11th, 2003, 9:13 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
How can love be in a room I dono some smart ppl help me lol!
well the room can be full of hearts, mystery of the heart but it could also be innocence behind that door something Voldemort lost before he ever got it

First The Rift, next The Hub. Now Hub 3

Insanity's a gradual process, don't rush it. Ford Prefect
Old July 11th, 2003, 9:26 pm
First Year

That room has something to do with emotions, compassion, love - it is a Mystery of Emotion/Love room. Remember how Ron got attacked in the Brain Room? That room was the Mystery of the Mind. And the planet room? The Mystery of the Planets/Universe/Heavens.

Old July 11th, 2003, 9:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm going to merge this with a similar thread.

Old July 11th, 2003, 10:03 pm
Member of the Order

Dumbledore says, "In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you."

In this same "tell all" conversation, Dumbledore mentions Harry's extraordinary bravery several times. Heart can also be interpreted as courage. And Dumbledore mentions more than once in the series, that death isn't something to fear. But Voldemort, seeking immortality, is afraid of death. Even Nearly Headless Nick's meager explanation of death hinges on the courage to move on vs the frightened decision to stay behind and become a ghost.

This force is more wonderful and terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature.

Sometimes intelligence would dictate different choices than courage. How often does Hermione tell Harry to be careful? I believe that self sacrificing love is a part of and motivation for heroic courage.

Of course, whatever is behind that door melts knives.

Old August 29th, 2003, 4:38 pm
Fifth Year

More relevant quotes from that chapter(hope it helps, I want to keep this going): "`On the contrary… the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength.'"
"`You do care,'....`You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.'"

Whatever it is, JKR better be careful with how she approaches this without sounding corny. She should build up to it like only she can. Make it sound 'technical' in the wizarding context. Like how a mother's self-sacrifice for her child is 'ancient magic' and how music(according to D'dore in book 1) is "beyond all magic we do here".

Old August 29th, 2003, 5:08 pm
Seventh Year

What if "the Power" that's hidden in that room is 'emotion'?

I know it doesn't totally fit the description DD gave about the room, because Voldemort is able to feel emotions, such as anger or happiness. But it souns less corny than 'love'.

Old August 29th, 2003, 5:11 pm
Member of the Order

music as in phoenix song?

Harry's ability to "feel" his emotions to that degree seems to be an important aspect of triggering the 'power' in him. Learning to harness these strong emotional rushes will bring this elusive and unknown power directly under his control and ultimately defeat Voldemort.
I've been flipping through book five and I hadn't realized how often Harry was actually in Voldemort's head. Hmmmmmmm...........

And then there's Time.

Old August 29th, 2003, 6:22 pm
Second Year

The key question, what’s in the locked room at the Ministry Of Magic, what is this powerful thing that Harry has and Voldemort does not? Love has something to do with it but there must be more than to it than that because Dumbledore says it is not only more wonderful than death it is more terrible too. Perhaps courage and skill and sacrifice and “old magic” and something else that’s hard to put a finger on; I guess you could say the room contains The Right Stuff. So why is it locked? I don’t think the wizards locked it and are in fact trying to unlock it but without success. I think in book 7 Harry will find a way to unlock it, something even Dumbledore couldn’t do. He knows that opening the door is the only way to destroy Voldemort but Harry also knows that if he does so he will die too; remember that powerful “old magic” involves sacrifice. I predict that in the second to last chapter of book 7 entitled “The Man Who Died”, the one just before the appendix where the lives of the surviving characters is described, he opens that door and Harry Potter is no more.

Eggplant

Old August 29th, 2003, 11:42 pm
Member of the Order

hmmmm.....
Well, lots of discussion on lots of threads are desperately trying to figure out what that 'power' is.
I hope Harry survives.

Old December 31st, 2003, 9:19 pm
Second Year

Throughout the book we are told that Harry Potter is the Boy who lived. In book 5 we learn about a locked door in the DoM. What is contained behind that door, Harry has large quantities of. Dumbledore also says something about it being Harry's heart that saved him..
"...this kepy locked at all times. It contains a fore that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, that human intelligence, than forces of nature. It is also, perhaps, the most mysterious of the many subjects for study that reside there..."

As soon as DD says it was Harry's heart that saved him, we assume it was love. But what if it was Life? Life is more wonderful than death obviously. It is also at times when a person is gravely ill, worse than death. Life is greater than human intellegence, and the forces of nature. It is THE most mysterious subject everyone studies. The mystery of life, why and how we got here. Harry's heart, litterally, his humanisitc qualities saved him. In many of the books, people state that Voldemort seems immortal, or that he was not human enough to die. Well, if he can't die, than he's not really living is he. He's just exisiting. It sort of makes sense...

What do you think?

Old December 31st, 2003, 11:44 pm
Sixth Year

If Harry's big power is "love" I'm going to be disappointed. It'll be like Ma-Ti and his stupid "heart" power all over again (anyone who was (un)lucky enough to grow up with Captain Planet knows what I mean).

*cough* And now for the theory that nobody but me believes, but will never truely die:

If the unspeakables are studying the power in the room (and it makes sense that they would be, because it's in their department) and they can't get into the room, then probably at some point they're going to want to study Harry instead.

Old January 1st, 2004, 7:59 am
Fourth year

The Department of love will help Harry defeat Voldemort nothing else. Not the Department of Mysteries

Old January 1st, 2004, 8:03 am
Fourth year

No that was called the room of requirement. That is if you are talking about the room that I think that you are talking about. The one where Dumbledor really needs to use the washroom and he can't find one then he does and he uses it and he looks for it and can't find it and realises the room only comes when you need it and has all the stuff you need. Was that the one that you were talking about Picko.

Old January 5th, 2004, 8:05 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angora
If Harry's big power is "love" I'm going to be disappointed. It'll be like Ma-Ti and his stupid "heart" power all over again (anyone who was (un)lucky enough to grow up with Captain Planet knows what I mean).

*cough* And now for the theory that nobody but me believes, but will never truely die:

If the unspeakables are studying the power in the room (and it makes sense that they would be, because it's in their department) and they can't get into the room, then probably at some point they're going to want to study Harry instead.
Oooooooh. Interesting.
So the door is locked and you don't thing the unspeakables can get in there, either. Hmmm....

I'm with you. I don't think the power is love, but the magic to use the power may require love the way a patronus requires happiness.

Old January 5th, 2004, 11:40 am
Seventh Year

I agree that the power is love but in what form? I mean it can't be just some brightly shining light or something. Whatever in that room must be extremely volatile I'd imagine bc it melted Harry's blade.

"Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business."

"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."
"Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor."

"Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies