Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Cooking & Recipe Exchange

The ultimate CHOCOLATE thread

View Poll Results: What is the best kind of chocolate?
Milk chocolate 21 53.85%
Dark chocolate 18 46.15%
White chocolate 10 25.64%
Are you kidding? White chocolate isn't really chocolate! 6 15.38%
Other (explain in thread) 1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:31 pm
She Who Walks Behind

The ultimate CHOCOLATE thread

We know it, We love it. It's the undeniable source of all happiness (you know Serotonin level) - Chocolate!!!

There are many different kinds of chocolate: dark chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, cacao powder ...
It can include many different things like, nuts, raisins, fruits, creams ...
And it comes in many different sizes, from tiny winy pieces to kg-heavy big bars.

All in all is chocolate awesome and it deserves it's own thread.

Share your recipes which contain chocolate (the more the merrier), learn how to make your own chocolate, talk about chocolate in general and much more.

Converters:
Mass Conversion (ounces, pound, kg etc.)
Volume Conversion (liter etc.)
Temperatur Conversion (Fahrenheit, Celcius)

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; October 25th, 2007 at 10:46 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Rex's Mummy

Re: The Ulimate CHOCOLATE Thread

Oh you should have seen my rection when I saw this thread. Chocolate =

I have two recipies involving chocolate. One for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and the other for Chocolate Chip Cookies, with or without Oatmeal. Both are from an old cookbook of my mom's, (and by old I mean it still refers to the microwace as "your revolutionary new kitchen helper") so the recipies aren't with all the low-everything trends, but they're super delicious, if anyone wants them.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:50 pm
She Who Walks Behind

What is that for a question? Post them ASAP!!!

The End of the Dream.
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:05 am
Rex's Mummy

Well I have the bread one memorized, but the cookies I'll have to get later.

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:

2 medium bananas (perferrably ones that are rather old and mushy)
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter (I believe that's 8oz, 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup milk (any type, but I think 2% is best)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the first 6 ingredients in the mixer first. (I find it works best to start with the butter and subar, then add the mashed banans, then the eggs, vanilla, and milk, but you can do it in any order.) Once those are well mixed, add the four, soda, and salt slowly, to prevent flour poofs. (I've also been taught to put the soda and salt into the same measuring container as the flour, and mix them in with it before adding them, to prevent icky clumps.) Once the flour, soda, and salt are completely mixed in, add the chocolate chips. Do not put the chocolate chips into the mixer! Mix them in by hand. You can put in as many as you like, but I usually find that about 2 large handfulls work best. Then pour it all into greased bread pan. I always use the wrapper from the butter to grease the pan, if dog hasn't stolen it, that is. Cook for 45-60 minutes. My oven is really powerful, so it can cook it completely in about 45-48 minuites, but our old oven it took an hour, sometimes more. It also depends on gas, electric, etc., how long it takes. Enjoy!!!

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:35 am
Eldest Gruff

* I'll post recipes later. Just busy with being happy right now.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 11th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Auror Emeritus

Don't let the name fool you. These scones have a consistency somewhere between a cake and a brownie.

Double Chocolate Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (quality counts - so use the best)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 8-oz plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces

Powdered Sugar Glaze:
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or 2 knives) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center.

2. Combine egg yolk and yogurt: add to dry ingredients. Add chocolate pieces. Stir mixture until moistened.

3. On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 10-12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Roll or pat dough into an 8-1/2 inch circle; cut into 10 wedges. Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

4. Bake in a 350 F oven about 18 minutes. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Drizzle with Powdered Sugar Glaze. If desired, dust tops with additional powdered sugar. Serve warm.

Makes 10

To reheat in microwave: HIGH for 10 seconds.

Best with a glass of ice cold milk. I have friends who make these and hide them from their family.

Old October 11th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Fifth Year

To do chocolate fondue without being duped into buying one of those sets, you can just stick a pot in a bigger pot with boiling water. There's your double boiler effect. It's a good thing anything can be dipped into chocolate.

Old October 11th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Ordo Lebes

...I'm practically drooling here! Those recipes look so delicious!

And now I really want a chocolate fondue. I've been having a massive chocolate craving today (I just went and bought myself a couple of bars of Golden Alps milk chocolate - they taste like Christmas chocolate!) and this thread isn't helping! Now I need strawberries dipped in chocolate...

I'll post my recipe for chocolate truffles later, I'll have to dig it up. My mother and I make a few batches every Christmas, and it's gotten to the point where people call dibs on certain flavours because they're SO GOOD. I'm not bragging here - it's all in the recipe. I dunno where my mum found it, but no matter how badly we screw it up, the truffles taste amazing. Dark chocolate banana flavoured ones... *drool*. And raspberry liqueur. Oooh man.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old October 12th, 2007, 3:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Okay first let me say

I started thinking about this thread and then I had to go get some chocolate

Okay one of my favorite chocolate treats is made around the holidays. I take Chow Main noodles and them into a bowl full of melted chocolate and Peanut Butter chips. Then when they are all covered I spoon out chunks onto wax paper and let them dry. They can be stored in a plastic container in the fridge and they are oh so yummy

Old October 12th, 2007, 10:09 am
Caninophile

This is the richest, gooiest, chocolatey-est thing I have ever tasted!
Plus, it's great for people (like me) who are gluten-intolerant!

Flourless Bittersweet Chocolate Cake

9 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
½ cup unsalted butter
²/³ cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine or regular granulated sugar
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Large pinch of salt
5 large eggs, separated
2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

Heat oven to 350F. Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan. Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; whisk until smooth. Let cool until tepid. In a bowl, whisk sugar, cocoa, and salt until blended.

In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar mixture for 1 to 2 minutes, until combined and very slightly thickened. Whisk in vanilla. Blend in chocolate mixture until smooth.

In a large bowl, with electric mixer, beat egg white until they begin to mound. Add cream of tartar; continue to beat until stiif, yet billowy, peaks form when beaters are lifted. Stir 2 or 3 large spoonfuls into chocolate mixture to loosen; fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.

Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until just set. The baked cake will puff and crack in spots. Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack (it will sink and collapse at the cracks). Remove side of pan, then, if desired, sift cocoa powder and/or confectioner's sugar over top of cake.
Store in an airtight container up to 2 days.

Like most wheat-free things, it doesn't keep for long, so it's a good excuse to eat it all quickly!

Introducing the father & son team of Ricky and Jasper! (They might be related to the Malfoys, possibly maybe)

Ricky: One day you shall be a pretty as I, my boy.
Jasper: Yes father!

I'm just Slytherin' around...
Old October 19th, 2007, 1:00 am
Third Year

Re: The ultimate CHOCOLATE thread

For those who don't know me, my avatar pic is of a tea set I made out of white chocolate!
I used a candy mold to make the pot & cups, then painted them w/ edible paints made from luster dust. The cups are filled with raspberry truffle filling & topped with raspberries or almonds.
The tiny cakes are my own invention of Boing! cakes, which is a super-rich, super-sick, super-huge version of petit-fors, in this case chocolate cake filled w/ raspberry jelly, raspberry truffle, topped with thinned out chocolate fondant.
Hungry?

"I really feel sorry for people who think things like soap dishes or mirrors or Coke bottles are ugly, because they’re surrounded by things like that all day long, and it must make them miserable."

Robert Rauschenberg 1925-2008
Old October 19th, 2007, 8:32 am
Caninophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeandtv View Post
chocolate cake filled w/ raspberry jelly, raspberry truffle, topped with thinned out chocolate fondant.

Introducing the father & son team of Ricky and Jasper! (They might be related to the Malfoys, possibly maybe)

Ricky: One day you shall be a pretty as I, my boy.
Jasper: Yes father!

I'm just Slytherin' around...
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:36 am
Eldest Gruff

That's awesome, coffeeandtv! Slightly hungry, yep.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:37 am
Gwen's Auntie

Coffeeandtv, that is AMAZING! I'm guessing you do that professionally? Have you ever competed or sold your stuff or anything like that? You could be pulling in a pile!

I made my mom this cake for her birthday. Chocolate is her most favorite, so I made a triple chocolate cake, with chocolate frosting, and her favoriet chocolate treat (sixlets) sprinkled on top!

It was quite the adventure, my bundt cakes don't usually stay in one piece so I'm proud of this one! (It got a little messy though!)

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:30 pm
Mad Hatter

How did I just find this thread??? I love that recipe too

I wonder, has anyone tried to make their own truffles? I tried once but it was so hard...

Old October 24th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Third Year

Mac Attack-that looks great! I love sixlets!

Tonks: I use this recipe both when I make truffles & also for a ganache-filled cake. It is easy, wonderful, and I get raves everytime!

10 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (try 12 oz id using white cocolate)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

1. heat cream in heavy-bottomed sauce pan/candy pan on low heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning on bottom
2. when cream is hot enough to melt chocolate (I generally throw in one or two chips to see if it melts), remove from heat & stir in (or whisk if you have one) chocolate until completely melted
3. pour mixture into a pie plate & refrigerate until firm but workable, about 2 hrs.
4. Roll mixture into balls and roll in any variety of coatings, then place into candy cups (I find mini-muffin cups are perfect & come in a variety of colours & themes)
5. Truffles will spoil. If not serving that day, keep in refrigerater. Take truffles out at least 2 hrs before serving so they will be nice & soft!

Flavouring tip: any extract or non-water based flavour may be added before mixture is put in fridge to set. Start with 1 tsp, all flavourings intensify immensly over time!

Coating ideas: you can use virtually anything to roll the balls in-jimmies, sanding sugar, cocoa, those fine-powedered coffee mixes like International Coffees, instant cocoa mixes, mini-chocolate chips-I love going to the store & getting creative!

Let me know if you have any questions!

"I really feel sorry for people who think things like soap dishes or mirrors or Coke bottles are ugly, because they’re surrounded by things like that all day long, and it must make them miserable."

Old October 25th, 2007, 10:43 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I want to try out the Chocolate-Banana-Bread recipe but they always throw away the old bananas here. How bad is that?

I added a converter in the opening post. As not all people use American units.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 26th, 2007, 7:56 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
I added a converter in the opening post. As not all people use American units.
Cool! I'll have to bookmark that-a lot of my cake decorating books are written in British!

Old October 27th, 2007, 4:11 am
Second Year

My mom make THE BEST peperment torte ever (no trying to brag but it is TRUE) It's three layers of chocolate cake with peperment filling in between them with a chocolate icing-type-thing drizzled on the top. I'll put it on here if you people want.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/PJO_Forum/index.php?

Old October 27th, 2007, 4:28 am
Rex's Mummy

YES!!!! Did you really think we wouldn't want it?? But seriously, it sounds amazing!!! And this coming from soneone who's not all that big a fan of peppermint.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Cooking & Recipe Exchange