Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows



View Poll Results: What do you think of Jo's revelation that Dumbledore is gay?
Well done, Jo. This is great news. It explains a lot. 227 15.87%
Great news though not surprising. We had a few good hints in the books. 214 14.97%
I was very surprised, but it doesn't change my views on how great Dumbledore is. 522 36.50%
I'm glad it was kept out of the books. It meant you were able to judge Dumbledore on merit. 271 18.95%
I'm disappointed it wasn't included in the books but I'm happy she's said something. 129 9.02%
I admire Jo's ability to keep surprising us, but I do question her timing. 100 6.99%
I'm not sure it was necessary, but I'm not bothered. 375 26.22%
It does trouble me. However, I still think her stories have a strong moral message. 59 4.13%
I'm disappointed. It reshapes my view of Dumbledore in a way I am not comfortable with. 78 5.45%
I was very shocked and will probably not read the books again. 19 1.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1430. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 6:44 pm
Morgoth's Avatar
Morgoth  Male.gif Morgoth is offline
Genius Loci
 
Joined: 5995 days
Location: Fons et Origo
Posts: 7,285
JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

WARNING: Bashing the author, slander and any other form of aggressive criticism will not be tolerated. You will have your post removed and be warned.

This is NOT. Repeat: NOT - A religious debate. Homosexuality as a religious debate can be done elsewhere on this site.

Any homophobic comments will be removed and the user warned.

Debates on homosexuality as a cultural issue, can be done here. That thread is subject to monitoring, so bigoted or aggressive attitudes will be clamped down on.


Since the release of the final book, Jo has revealed lots of new bits of information whilst performing public appearances. Some of these revelations have been well received, whilst some others, namely Dumbledore's gay... sssshhh have had a mixed reaction.

This thread is to debate the issue of Jo revealing information that otherwise needn't have been released or could have been told in story. We'll also explore the impact on fans.

There is a multiple-choice poll you can answer. Answers are to be private, to avoid hostilities.

Questions:

Post-Series Revelations and their impact on the fans

1. Do you believe JK Rowling is doing the right thing in revealing bits and pieces of information in the manner she has?

2. When an author reveals a lot of information in this manner, it is referred to by some fans as The Word of God. Is this always the case or can authors slip up off the page as much as they can, on it? Can we rely on their off-the-cuff remarks or should we take it with a pinch of salt?

3. Do you think JKR should expand the functionality of her website to allow for fans to vote more frequently on key issues of the series?

4. Do you think authors like JKR should restrict official canon information to named outlets such as personal websites, chosen fansites and certain media groups so that people can filter out the wishful thinking from the actual plot points, or would that be too difficult to achieve?

5. Do you agree or disagree that JKR reveals information rather too liberally and should she restrain herself for the sake of not upsetting the apple cart?


The Dumbledore Revelation and the way it was handled

6. The revelation concerning the sexuality of Dumbledore has split many fans, and not all down a pro-gay/anti-gay line. There are those who consider it to be something of a literary faux pas. That in revealing something that could have been included in the story, after the series has finished, suggests there was possibly another motive for keeping the information quiet. With all that in mind, please look at the following:

Do you believe that she should have:
  1. Revealed Dumbledore's sexuality to the reader during the writing of the series?
  2. When asked about Dumbledore's 'true love', kept quiet and revealed it in a more official capacity (through her website / encyclopedia) at a later date?
  3. Avoided revealing anything about his sexuality altogether until a much later date?

Or do you believe she was right in the way she revealed it?

7. Do you believe that in revealing a gay character, it will harm the Harry Potter franchise?

8. Do you think JKR kept Dumbledore's sexuality private because it wasn't a key plot device or because there was a danger she wouldn't be able to get it either passed her publishers or that she was personally doubtful it would hold amongst all her fans?

9. What are the merits in having a gay character in the books and what do you think the negatives of that could be?

10. Had Dumbledore been revealed as gay from the beginning, do you believe the books would have done as well? Would they have been classed as children's books by many? Would you have bought them?


What's to come?

11. Do you believe that JKR will announce any more big revelations in years to come? If so, do you have any theories on what that big revelation might be?

12. If a Harry Potter encyclopedia is released, what would you like to see in it ? Would you buy it?


WARNING: Bashing the author, slander and any other form of aggressive criticism will not be tolerated. You will have your post removed and be warned.

This is NOT. Repeat: NOT - A religious debate. Homosexuality as a religious debate can be done elsewhere on this site.

Any homophobic comments will be removed and the user warned.

Debates on homosexuality as a cultural issue, can be done here. That thread is subject to monitoring, so bigoted or aggressive attitudes will be clamped down on.


__________________
Brave New World
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:03 pm
Xaquin  Undisclosed.gif Xaquin is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4066 days
Posts: 9
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

While I don't feel like touching on every single point made above (excellent post though), I'd like to voice that the whole 'outting' of Dumbledore was done in a silly way.

It would be like George Lucas all of a sudden talling everyone that Chewbacca was, in fact, gay.

ok?

He's been with us through 3 movies and many years with no mention of his sexuality one way or another. But now, 10 years after the fact, he's gay.

now lets (for a fun experiment) all suppose that she had flat out said 'Dumbledore is straight'. It would be silly because in the book he is, for lack of a better term, sexless.

It honestly sounds like a publicity stunt (though I don't think it is).

Just my opinion on the matter

(personaly I don't really care what sex he likes (especially since it wasn't important enough to get a single word in the books))


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:16 pm
LudwigVan's Avatar
LudwigVan  Male.gif LudwigVan is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4146 days
Location: Room 21 A, Leaky Cauldron
Age: 29
Posts: 330
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaquin View Post
While I don't feel like touching on every single point made above (excellent post though), I'd like to voice that the whole 'outting' of Dumbledore was done in a silly way.

It would be like George Lucas all of a sudden talling everyone that Chewbacca was, in fact, gay.

ok?

He's been with us through 3 movies and many years with no mention of his sexuality one way or another. But now, 10 years after the fact, he's gay.

now lets (for a fun experiment) all suppose that she had flat out said 'Dumbledore is straight'. It would be silly because in the book he is, for lack of a better term, sexless.

It honestly sounds like a publicity stunt (though I don't think it is).

Just my opinion on the matter

(personaly I don't really care what sex he likes (especially since it wasn't important enough to get a single word in the books))
I will have to disagree with you. Jo didn't interrupted the interview and stated to the whole world that Dumbledore was gay. She was asked a simple question that (I think) it was never asked, so she answered it. There are many hints of this in the book (although, to be honest, I missed them all) and it's clearly not publicity stunt, it's all the way around, a lot of families will think it inappropriate for a child to read them now they now there is a gay character in it (like there is a lot of religious people who ban them from their family for "encouraging witchcraft" ).

Although, I don't think it was that brave for her (like a lot of fans state) to say that. I mean, the series are already finished, it's a huge success and it got millions of fans all over the world. IMHO it would be extremely brave if she had revealed this after the series were finished (although to me this news aren't changing my feelings for the book nor for Dumbledore).


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:24 pm
Xaquin  Undisclosed.gif Xaquin is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4066 days
Posts: 9
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
I will have to disagree with you. Jo didn't interrupted the interview and stated to the whole world that Dumbledore was gay. She was asked a simple question that (I think) it was never asked, so she answered it. There are many hints of this in the book (although, to be honest, I missed them all) and it's clearly not publicity stunt, it's all the way around, a lot of families will think it inappropriate for a child to read them now they now there is a gay character in it (like there is a lot of religious people who ban them from their family for "encouraging witchcraft" ).

Although, I don't think it was that brave for her (like a lot of fans state) to say that. I mean, the series are already finished, it's a huge success and it got millions of fans all over the world. IMHO it would be extremely brave if she had revealed this after the series were finished (although to me this news aren't changing my feelings for the book nor for Dumbledore).

The question was "Did Dumbledore love anyone?" not "Did Dumbledore love any men?"

/shrug

I just think if it was so important to her she would have mentioned it in the 10 years he (and indeed the Potter universe) has been under scrutiny. Coming out, (teehee) now it just seems like a stunt.

I hope I don't come off as disliking DD or JK, because I really think she has done the world a service by getting millions of kids reading in ernest.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:27 pm
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4891 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

1. Do you believe JK Rowling is doing the right thing in revealing bits and pieces of information in the manner she has?
JKR has been giving us (in the fandom) extra bits and pieces of information through intereviews and her website since there was a fandom. So I am not surprised that the information about Dumbledore's sexuality came out this way. I think it shows that JKR just saw it as another piece of character history she created and lived with for 17 years. I don't think she thought it was a big deal.

I think we in the fandom are so hungry for each and every nugget of info that we have been constantly begging Jo for anything we could get. She has answered every question she could answer that didn't spoil a plot, not based on if it was controversial or not, just based on if the question was asked.

I think the fandom eats up the information that Dd is gay the same way that we eat up information that Neville married Hanna Abbot, or what Draco's wand core is, or what James and Lily did for a living. I think it is just that the American media doesn't care about these other nuggets of gold, only the one that could create a public reaction.


12. If a Harry Potter encyclopedia is released, what would you like to see in it ? Would you buy it? I would buy it in a heartbeat. All I ask for is the notes she has kept to herself for so long published - it doesn't even have to be organized.


__________________
is totally awesome!

Last edited by HMN; October 22nd, 2007 at 7:33 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:28 pm
LoonyMagic's Avatar
LoonyMagic  Female.gif LoonyMagic is offline
Beauxbatons Champion
 
Joined: 4221 days
Location: Dreaming
Age: 27
Posts: 1,899
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

1. Do you believe JK Rowling is doing the right thing in revealing bits and pieces of information in the manner she has?

I see nothing wrong in what she is doing. Some pieces of information that she has given us would have seemed out of place if it had been revealed in the books. However, sometimes I am a little disappointed that we didn't see everything in the books and have to later find out details in interviews.

2. When an author reveals a lot of information in this manner, it is referred to by some fans as The Word of God. Is this always the case or can authors slip up off the page as much as they can, on it? Can we rely on their off-the-cuff remarks or should we take it with a pinch of salt?

I think as long as she knows what she is saying, receiving information like this should be reliable. I don't think that JKR would make up everything that she is saying in these interviews. However, sometimes with some remarks I do take them with a pinch of salt. I don't believe that everything Jo says is necessarily correct.

3. Do you think JKR should expand the functionality of her website to allow for fans to vote more frequently on key issues of the series?

Yes, definitely. Not just to make it more interesting, but to get the fans more interactive on her site. Also, with a loss of news to put on there she does need something to keep it going.

5. Do you agree or disagree that JKR reveals information rather too liberally and should she restrain herself for the sake of not upsetting the apple cart?

I disagree. If she believes that the fans should know something that she wasn't able to put in the books, then she has a right to say it.

6. The revelation concerning the sexuality of Dumbledore has split many fans, and not all down a pro-gay/anti-gay line. There are those who consider it to be something of a literary faux pas. That in revealing something that could have been included in the story, after the series has finished, suggests there was possibly another motive for keeping the information quiet. With all that in mind, please look at the following:

Do you believe that she should have:

Revealed Dumbledore's sexuality to the reader during the writing of the series?


I admit that I was disappointed that she didn't reveal the information about Dumbledore in the books, but I must also stress that this would have been highly controversial and may not have fit into the plot line. Also, I doubt her editors would have allowed her to write in Dumbledore as homosexual, as after all this is a children's series and they wouldn't want to rock the boat.

When asked about Dumbledore's 'true love', kept quiet and revealed it in a more official capacity (through her website / encyclopedia) at a later date?

Perhaps she could have kept it quiet, but she was asked a question and felt like she should answer it accordingly. I remember reading somewhere that she said she had never - to her knowledge - lied to a fan, and in the current circumstance of having all the books out there she couldn't have avoided it without being questioned further.

7. Do you believe that in revealing a gay character, it will harm the Harry Potter franchise?

I hope it won't, and if it does I think that's a very sad thing.

8. Do you think JKR kept Dumbledore's sexuality private because it wasn't a key plot device or because there was a danger she wouldn't be able to get it either passed her publishers or that she was personally doubtful it would hold amongst all her fans?

I don't think she was doubtful of the fans, I think she believed that it was not key to the plot and that by the time book seven was ready there wasn't really a place for it. Homosexuality is just a huge subject and I think it would have deviated the central plot. Also, I don't believe her publishers would have let her do it, which bothers me.

9. What are the merits in having a gay character in the books and what do you think the negatives of that could be?

Well Dumbledore wasn't what you would call the stereotypical gay guy, which will hopefully encourage less homophobia and help people realise that being gay isn't a bad thing. Also, the fact that Dumbledore was such a wise and powerful man shows readers that your sexuality doesn't matter in life and that you can achieve anything you want.

10. Had Dumbledore been revealed as gay from the beginning, do you believe the books would have done as well? Would they have been classed as children's books by many? Would you have bought them?

I believe people would have classed them as more adult, as sexuality can be seen as an "adult theme". I would have bought them regardless, although at the time I received the first book I was only 8. Perhaps my gran who bought it for me would have deemed it inappropriate, so I may not have even read the books. However, I think the books will have done well. People would have been curious about one of the characters being gay.

11. Do you believe that JKR will announce any more big revelations in years to come? If so, do you have any theories on what that big revelation might be?

I'm not sure really. I haven't got any ideas. And if she springs any more revelations they will probably be completely out of the blue for me, like this one has been.

12. If a Harry Potter encyclopedia is released, what would you like to see in it ? Would you buy it?

In the encyclopedia I would just like to know a lot more background information on characters, and mainly what happened to everyone after the Battle of Hogwarts


__________________
Voted Noobie of the Year in The Hogsmeade Awards.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:32 pm
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4891 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaquin View Post
The question was "Did Dumbledore love anyone?" not "Did Dumbledore love any men?"

/shrug

I just think if it was so important to her she would have mentioned it in the 10 years he (and indeed the Potter universe) has been under scrutiny. Coming out, (teehee) now it just seems like a stunt.
But if the one person Dumbledore loved was a man, doesn't she have to answer honestly?
I think it is the point exactly that it wasn't important to her - that is why she said it so casually. I don't understand what kind of stunt she would be trying to pull. She doesn't need to sell another book, she doesn't need more press, she doesn't need more money - so I just ask what the purpose of the stunt would be? The only crusade she seems to be on is one of teaching tolerance.


__________________
is totally awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:33 pm
Blackcatsmeow  Undisclosed.gif Blackcatsmeow is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4157 days
Posts: 130
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

I actually like that it was revealed after the fact. And I would hope it would make its way into the Encyclopedia, should she ever write one. Perhaps a website update might be nice. But I do think Jo has the right to break news in what ever manner she feels most comfortable.

I like that it was revealed after the fact, because if it had been revealed in the story I think it would have unfortunately hampered a lot of people's ability to see the Harry/Dumbledore dynamic for what it was. But after the fact, after the story is done; and Harry is happy, healthy and much wiser in large part due to his exposure to Dumbledore. It stands as this nice little nuisance; and shows that sexuality doesn't define a person.

It will hurt the franchise in some populations; but it will also help it in others. I know that it makes me more likely to give the books too my nieces. But you can bet there are going to be some more conservative populations that are going to be fit to be tied that a beloved character is in fact gay.

In all I think it is a good plot revelations, it makes Dumbledore more of a human, which I think DH did a great job of in general.


__________________

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:38 pm
LoonyMagic's Avatar
LoonyMagic  Female.gif LoonyMagic is offline
Beauxbatons Champion
 
Joined: 4221 days
Location: Dreaming
Age: 27
Posts: 1,899
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
But if the one person Dumbledore loved was a man, doesn't she have to answer honestly?
I think it is the point exactly that it wasn't important to her - that is why she said it so casually. I don't understand what kind of stunt she would be trying to pull. She doesn't need to sell another book, she doesn't need more press, she doesn't need more money - so I just ask what the purpose of the stunt would be? The only crusade she seems to be on is one of teaching tolerance.
I agree. JKR doesn't need to gt anything out of this - she doesn't need anything. She said it casually and openly, and I think one of the reasons she didn't include it in the books was that it would deviate too much from the actual plot. She didn't want readers to pick up the book because the old man with the beard was gay. She wanted readers to become immersed in Harry's world. And IMO I don't think sexuality is a big deal to her and she didn't want to make a big deal about it in the series.


__________________
Voted Noobie of the Year in The Hogsmeade Awards.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:38 pm
Xaquin  Undisclosed.gif Xaquin is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4066 days
Posts: 9
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
But if the one person Dumbledore loved was a man, doesn't she have to answer honestly?
I think it is the point exactly that it wasn't important to her - that is why she said it so casually. I don't understand what kind of stunt she would be trying to pull. She doesn't need to sell another book, she doesn't need more press, she doesn't need more money - so I just ask what the purpose of the stunt would be? The only crusade she seems to be on is one of teaching tolerance.
thats a good point, but I also think she knew this would stir up contraversy (but in reality, I have no clue why this was put out there all of a sudden). Knowing Hannah Abbots wand core is one thing, but (what should have been?) a major point about a major character being tacked on as a footnote seems .... well, strange.

How would you (or any of you) have felt if she just said "he liked some girl once, but never followed up" or something equally as generic?

Would it have changed the way you view him?

I keep seeing people triumphing this like it's a big thing (which it could have been) but in reality it was a whooping 2 second response to a question with no evidence in the books and no real follow up in the context of the question.


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:40 pm
Neptune's Avatar
Neptune  Female.gif Neptune is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5644 days
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,706
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaquin View Post
The question was "Did Dumbledore love anyone?" not "Did Dumbledore love any men?"

/shrug
If she would have just answered that question with a simple "Yes Dumbledore loved someone" she would have been asked "Who" and she would then answer "Grindelwald" and we still would have gotten the answer that Dumbledore is Gay, because in her mind, she always imagined him as a gay man who love Grindelwald.

Why is this so controversial? If she would have said he fell in love with a woman it would never have been a big deal, but because he loved a man it is? Isn't that intolerance? Didn't the Harry Potter books teach us that intolerance and prejudice are bad? Just because Hagrid is a half giant doesn't make him a bad evil person. Just because Hermione is muggle born doesn't make her any less able to perform magic. Just because Dumbledore is gay and loved another man doesn't make him any less of a human. He's still powerful, noble, great and wise, just like he was when we never questioned his sexuality.


__________________

Emotional Landscapes
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:43 pm
Lillbet's Avatar
Lillbet  Female.gif Lillbet is offline
Offishul Fan Girl
 
Joined: 4314 days
Location: Azkaban
Age: 47
Posts: 1,084
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Thanks for this. I don't have the time to address each point now, but I will later because some of these questions are thought provoking and worth a response.

I will say that I wasn't totally shocked, but I found the reveal to be a little bit too coy for my liking.


__________________

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:44 pm
dark_latte  Undisclosed.gif dark_latte is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4066 days
Posts: 5
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

So what about people who don't use internet, don't read interviews with JKR - do you think they have completely different perception of Dumbledore's character? Or maybe not perception, because his sexual orientation doesn't really change his character - he's what he was pre-revelation.

Personally, I don't think that what writer says has such a big meaning - those characters are already ours.



Last edited by dark_latte; October 22nd, 2007 at 7:46 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:44 pm
PrezLeefun  Female.gif PrezLeefun is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4919 days
Location: Bronx, New York City
Age: 31
Posts: 430
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

I was surprised but not angry at all. I still think highly of DD and any reservations I have about his character have nothing to do with his homosexuality.

The story is still full of wonderful moral issues and I prefer to focus on the aspect that Jo said the series is Christian in nature because that is far more important IMO.

I do feel a bit odd about it only because that revelation was so out of left field for most poeple and to be frank but not disrespectful; Jo didnt seem to think of the parents of small children who share the series with their kids. Homosexuality is still a touchy subject and some people prefer to handle it with more descretion and conservatism; and there is nothing wrong or homophobic about that.

As I said it ultimately doesnt change anything for me, I wish just Jo had been a bit more restrictive about it.


Post-Series Revelations and their impact on the fans


1. Do you believe JK Rowling is doing the right thing in revealing bits and pieces of information in the manner she has?

I have not had a problem with it until the revelation about DD's sexuality. I explained this in full in the Area above^^^^

2. When an author reveals a lot of information in this manner, it is referred to by some fans as The Word of God. Is this always the case or can authors slip up off the page as much as they can, on it? Can we rely on their off-the-cuff remarks or should we take it with a pinch of salt?

Jo is creator of the HP world. Its her book its her choice. But things not in the books themselves I think can be up for debate, especially if they weigh in on the plot.

3. Do you think JKR should expand the functionality of her website to allow for fans to vote more frequently on key issues of the series?

Sure why not? I think it would be more fun that way. I think it would make fans who cant go to events feel a bit more like they have contact with the author.

4. Do you think authors like JKR should restrict official canon information to named outlets such as personal websites, chosen fansites and certain media groups so that people can filter out the wishful thinking from the actual plot points, or would that be too difficult to achieve?

To difficult.

5. Do you agree or disagree that JKR reveals information rather too liberally and should she restrain herself for the sake of not upsetting the apple cart?

I think some things call for descretion. Sexuallity being one of them.

The Dumbledore Revelation and the way it was handled


6. The revelation concerning the sexuality of Dumbledore has split many fans, and not all down a pro-gay/anti-gay line. There are those who consider it to be something of a literary faux pas. That in revealing something that could have been included in the story, after the series has finished, suggests there was possibly another motive for keeping the information quiet. With all that in mind, please look at the following:

Do you believe that she should have:


Revealed Dumbledore's sexuality to the reader during the writing of the series?
No.

When asked about Dumbledore's 'true love', kept quiet and revealed it in a more official capacity (through her website / encyclopedia) at a later date?
Yes. It would have been much more appropriate, if she really wanted to tell us.

Avoided revealing anything about his sexuality altogether until a much later date?


Thats a tricky one. Some people feel that it wasnt harmful because the series is done with...but there are two more movies to go and now the actors are subject to blacklash/ or unwarrented and excessive praise from more extreme groups.

Or do you believe she was right in the way she revealed it?
No. I just have doubts it was appropriate.

7. Do you believe that in revealing a gay character, it will harm the Harry Potter franchise?
That remains to be seen. As I said I still love HP and I wont "Let nothing tarnish [my] memories of Albus Dumbledore!"

8. Do you think JKR kept Dumbledore's sexuality private because it wasn't a key plot device or because there was a danger she wouldn't be able to get it either passed her publishers or that she was personally doubtful it would hold amongst all her fans?
I think she kept it under wraps because of her fans.


9. What are the merits in having a gay character in the books and what do you think the negatives of that could be?

There are no merits. Some people think Jo is brave and a hero of sorts. I dont, not for this. For getting kids into reading... yes she is hero. For having a gay person in the books but not revealing it until now, no. Even if she had revealed it, that doesnt make her a hero. He is gay.... that just one aspect of his feelings. Whats heroic about revealing that?

10. Had Dumbledore been revealed as gay from the beginning, do you believe the books would have done as well? Would they have been classed as children's books by many? Would you have bought them?
No. I doubt they would have done as well. I also doubt they would have been considered children's books because it would have purposely pointed out sexuality. I had doubts purchasing the books before this! I had been fed the "witch craft occult" thing and was hesistant until I saw the first movie, which sparked my interest. Even as a fan I have minimal reservations about this.


What's to come?

11. Do you believe that JKR will announce any more big revelations in years to come? If so, do you have any theories on what that big revelation might be?

I have no idea. But if she does, I doubt it will be as controversial or surprising as this.

12. If a Harry Potter encyclopedia is released, what would you like to see in it ? Would you buy it?

I dont know that I would buy it. I love the books. My goal is to have the books in the sets I read, and two for display Paperback and Hardcover.... just for show to look pretty.


__________________
Harry Potter and The Case for Christ:
http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/...gneura01.shtml

I am a Harry and Luna Fan. My ship may have sunk but my love goes on.

Ya know Daniel Radcliffe is really good at fake drowning.

Last edited by PrezLeefun; October 22nd, 2007 at 8:12 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 7:47 pm
LoveWeasleys's Avatar
LoveWeasleys  Female.gif LoveWeasleys is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4238 days
Location: The Water Gardens
Age: 34
Posts: 2,487
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

I will read over and answer the questions later, but I voted for the first options:

First off, I said well-done to Jo and it explains a lot, because I am happy that she came out and told us about Dumbledore, I really didn't think she ever would so I was pleasantly surprised.

Second, Great news and not surprising, I think we did have a few good hints in text and I have been discussing the possibilities of a romantic relationship between DD/GG with friends before DD was outed. I think there are a few hints in the text that really can be viewed either way and that can be discussed on another thread. But that is what I voted and I will be back with answers to the questions later .


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 8:07 pm
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4698 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 36
Posts: 6,435
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Post-Series Revelations and their impact on the fans

1. Do you believe JK Rowling is doing the right thing in revealing bits and pieces of information in the manner she has?

Yes, why not? If anybody dislikes them, they should just disregard them and stick to the text of the books.

2. When an author reveals a lot of information in this manner, it is referred to by some fans as The Word of God. Is this always the case or can authors slip up off the page as much as they can, on it? Can we rely on their off-the-cuff remarks or should we take it with a pinch of salt?

I hink it's entirely a matter of personal choice. If you believe (as I do) that a literary text is an integral and self-sufficient whole, the of course your established view of it won't be influenced by anything that's happening outside the literary work. If you view the Harry Potter books as an organism, a separate world, then these comments add to it.

3. Do you think JKR should expand the functionality of her website to allow for fans to vote more frequently on key issues of the series?

Yes! Yay for any update on that site.

4. Do you think authors like JKR should restrict official canon information to named outlets such as personal websites, chosen fansites and certain media groups so that people can filter out the wishful thinking from the actual plot points, or would that be too difficult to achieve?

I don't see the point. Are the hardcore fans that many?

5. Do you agree or disagree that JKR reveals information rather too liberally and should she restrain herself for the sake of not upsetting the apple cart?

I think she is at perfect liberty to say whatever she wants about her own inventions, in whatever manner, place or time she chooses.

The Dumbledore Revelation and the way it was handled

6. The revelation concerning the sexuality of Dumbledore has split many fans, and not all down a pro-gay/anti-gay line. There are those who consider it to be something of a literary faux pas. That in revealing something that could have been included in the story, after the series has finished, suggests there was possibly another motive for keeping the information quiet. With all that in mind, please look at the following:

Do you believe that she should have:

Revealed Dumbledore's sexuality to the reader during the writing of the series?


I don't see the point of doing that. The books seem fine to me as they are. The lack of this piece of information is not a flaw in any of the books as far as I can see.

When asked about Dumbledore's 'true love', kept quiet and revealed it in a more official capacity (through her website / encyclopedia) at a later date?
Avoided revealing anything about his sexuality altogether until a much later date?


I think what she did was fine. The casula manner in whih it happened rather hints (for me at least) that she has no issues of any sort with homosexuality. The manner in which it was revealed places it on the same level of significance and impact as all the other bits, such as Neville and Hannah's marriage, Harry's job and so on - which means no discrimination of any sort.

Or do you believe she was right in the way she revealed it?

That's the one.

7. Do you believe that in revealing a gay character, it will harm the Harry Potter franchise?

I lack the competence to make this guess.

8. Do you think JKR kept Dumbledore's sexuality private because it wasn't a key plot device or because there was a danger she wouldn't be able to get it either passed her publishers or that she was personally doubtful it would hold amongst all her fans?

It just didn't come into the flow of the story. I think it's as simple as that.

9. What are the merits in having a gay character in the books and what do you think the negatives of that could be?

I want to believe that, since Harry Potter is extremely loved and popular, it will have a postive impact in terms of tolerance and acceptance, especially among the young. The fact that it's Dumbledore is teriffic, because he is one of the three main characters, he embodies virtue, and is an extremely complex and well-written character. I don't see any possible negative effects. Unaccepting people would be unaccepting with or without that fact.

10. Had Dumbledore been revealed as gay from the beginning, do you believe the books would have done as well? Would they have been classed as children's books by many? Would you have bought them?

Yes, I believe they would have been just as popular - it was the unique, vastly imaginative world Jo created, and her clever mystery writing, that got the books this far, not their family-friendliness. And yes, I would definitely have bought them and loved them just as much, and would have been even prouder to be a fan, because I would have had something else to be proud of - that I am a fan of a cultural phenomenon that supports and upholds tolerance and is actually making waves (I'm sure it would have been).

What's to come?

The trial of time.

11. Do you believe that JKR will announce any more big revelations in years to come? If so, do you have any theories on what that big revelation might be?

I have no idea.

12. If a Harry Potter encyclopedia is released, what would you like to see in it ? Would you buy it?

Oooh, I would like to see every bit of side information that Jo has about her characters, all backstories, the history of Hogwarts and the Ministry of magic, numerous facts about the Wizarding world and its history and so on ad infinitum. I would most definitely buy it!!!


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 8:09 pm
aespejo104  Female.gif aespejo104 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4768 days
Location: So. California, USA
Age: 32
Posts: 23
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

If you think about it, Jo has put in a whole lot of different issues of prejudice:
Race (Pure-blood vs. Half-blood and Muggle-born; Wizards vs. Muggles)
Age (yes, Harry is seen as a sign of hope, but even some of the people closest to him harp on how young he is, even though it's out of concern)
Social groups (Neville and Luna are outcasts because they're strange)

So why not sexuality? It's not an issue in the series, but it's become an issue to some of the fandom, which I'm not surprised, but disappointed. Some people have allowed their love for the series to be tarnished by one little tid-bit that has no effect on the series whatsoever. There is absolutely no hint to Dumbldore's sexuality in the series.

Jo answered a question honestly and straight-forward. What did you want her response to be?
"Oh, I can't tell you that because it might cause a stir."
- That answer would already be a big hint and people would start coming up with their own off-the-wall theories
"Dumbledore never loved anyone"
- That would make Dumbledore seem un-human and would seem odd considering this came from the man who kept emphasizing on "love"

Dumbledore's sexuality is not key to the plot. It's only a tid-bit of his character. I admire Jo for the thought process she had in writing this series.


__________________
Love,
Angel

http://myspace.com/randomangelmonkey
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 8:22 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4997 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

Post-Series Revelations and their impact on the fans

1. Do you believe JK Rowling is doing the right thing in revealing bits and pieces of information in the manner she has?

In general I wished that she would reveal bits from time to time as special token for the fans and not wait till she gets interviewed. But otherwise I am satisfied with the way she handles it.

2. When an author reveals a lot of information in this manner, it is referred to by some fans as The Word of God. Is this always the case or can authors slip up off the page as much as they can, on it? Can we rely on their off-the-cuff remarks or should we take it with a pinch of salt?

Well she's also human and makes mistakes, personally I believe it till she claims it to be otherwise.

3. Do you think JKR should expand the functionality of her website to allow for fans to vote more frequently on key issues of the series?

Ehmm I am for using her website more often to answer questions and to give infos. But how do you view what the "key issues" are? For some fans are this informations more relevant for other fans other infos. I doubt you can please anybody then.

5. Do you agree or disagree that JKR reveals information rather too liberally and should she restrain herself for the sake of not upsetting the apple cart?

I mean who can blame her that she reveals too much? Fans asking for it.
She said herself that we probably won't give up till we know every, another such so unimportant detail.

The Dumbledore Revelation and the way it was handled

6. The revelation concerning the sexuality of Dumbledore has split many fans, and not all down a pro-gay/anti-gay line. There are those who consider it to be something of a literary faux pas. That in revealing something that could have been included in the story, after the series has finished, suggests there was possibly another motive for keeping the information quiet. With all that in mind, please look at the following:

Do you believe that she should have:
  1. Revealed Dumbledore's sexuality to the reader during the writing of the series?
  2. When asked about Dumbledore's 'true love', kept quiet and revealed it in a more official capacity (through her website / encyclopedia) at a later date?
  3. Avoided revealing anything about his sexuality altogether until a much later date?
Or do you believe she was right in the way she revealed it?

a. Maybe, but then she said that she would have revealed it earlier, when she knew of the positive reaction (the applause) before. I think that she didn't include it in the books, because she feared that it would cause problems. And I quite agree.

b. + c. Would there be a difference if she would have revealed it today, next week or in one year? Not at all. The reactions will be still the same.
Maybe there will come more about it, maybe not. Personally I don't care.

7. Do you believe that in revealing a gay character, it will harm the Harry Potter franchise?

My answer would include religious bits, but as you don't want to go there ...

to make it short: no

8. Do you think JKR kept Dumbledore's sexuality private because it wasn't a key plot device or because there was a danger she wouldn't be able to get it either passed her publishers or that she was personally doubtful it would hold amongst all her fans?

Not at all. revealing his sexuality would have changed nothing to the plot IMO, except that it's maybe clearer now why he was friend with Grindelwald. But in general gay or not gay, it doesn't matter for me and my view on him and his doings.

10. Had Dumbledore been revealed as gay from the beginning, do you believe the books would have done as well? Would they have been classed as children's books by many? Would you have bought them?

Yes, I would have bought them. But then I believe that they would be NOT labeled children books, as homosexuality is still an issue in a lot of countries.

What's to come?

11. Do you believe that JKR will announce any more big revelations in years to come? If so, do you have any theories on what that big revelation might be?

Fenrir's fav. way of manicure?
No honestly I have no clue at all, what a big theory could be. The Love Room, The Veil ... there are so many things. But I hope that she will reveal more stuff.

12. If a Harry Potter encyclopedia is released, what would you like to see in it ? Would you buy it?

Of course would I buy it. Even if its just to get more information and to be able to continue talking about HP here.


Uff I am done. Hurray


__________________


The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; October 22nd, 2007 at 8:24 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 8:40 pm
_Zd_Phoenix_  Male.gif _Zd_Phoenix_ is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4924 days
Location: Oxford/Herts UK
Age: 35
Posts: 768
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

1. Do you believe JK Rowling is doing the right thing in revealing bits and pieces of information in the manner she has?

Errrm... I don't know. Personally I felt the big recent revelation was good for the series, but it should have been in the book, as it added to it significantly in both plot and in what stance the book takes on tolerance as a whole, despite being for children and the traditional prejudice against gay people when creating children's literature/media.

2. When an author reveals a lot of information in this manner, it is referred to by some fans as The Word of God. Is this always the case or can authors slip up off the page as much as they can, on it? Can we rely on their off-the-cuff remarks or should we take it with a pinch of salt?

Well I'd take certain things to be more seriously that others ... for example, for DD it explains certain motivations in his back-story, and she did say she'd always thought of him in that respect, but as to who did what for a job, that could be any flight of fancy afterwards.

4. Do you think authors like JKR should restrict official canon information to named outlets such as personal websites, chosen fansites and certain media groups so that people can filter out the wishful thinking from the actual plot points, or would that be too difficult to achieve?

I think it would be a great shame to overly-regulate individual imagination.

Books are not meant to be complete universes, it blunts the point of them, there is meant to be room for individual thought and reaction and construction.

[Should JK have] Revealed Dumbledore's sexuality to the reader during the writing of the series?

Yes, especially to reinforce the idea of tolerance that so many seem to have mislaid recently.

7. Do you believe that in revealing a gay character, it will harm the Harry Potter franchise?

I don't see why. If someone doesn't accept such things then I'd suggest that it wasn't the best series for them as it stood in the first place.

10. Had Dumbledore been revealed as gay from the beginning, do you believe the books would have done as well? Would they have been classed as children's books by many? Would you have bought them?

Less liberal parents and media would have made a big issue over it, and there'd ahve been all sorts of trouble. besides, it didn't belong in the first few books, the overriding messages of what the series was about matured towards the middle and later on.

12. If a Harry Potter encyclopedia is released, what would you like to see in it ? Would you buy it?

Personally I really dislike the idea, I think it restricts individual imagination and also the worth of the main series as works of literature. You get guides for computer games, you should not get them with books.


__________________
- - -

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 9:28 pm
snuka  Female.gif snuka is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4550 days
Posts: 508
Re: JK Rowling: Revelations Since Deathly Hallows

1. Yes, it's only natural she gets a lot of questions in these interviews. I just hope all this makes it into the encyclopedia !

2. It's possible she slips up, ie well known maths issues in the books. Most of the time, unless she's obviously joking, I assume whatever she says IS canon.

3. No. She should be able to shape up the series any way she wants.

4. That would be difficult.

5. If she think the fans should know something, bring it on ! Although - I will explain later - some thought has to be invested in how what is delivered.

6. I think it had been relevant to the story, she would have done it in the books, and I'm not sure she'd tuck this info in the encyclopedia. My choice would be "none of the above" - that is, I don't really care for wizards' sexuality one way or the other. Was she going for shock value, perhaps ?

7. I'm curious what will happen with the last two movies, and the encyclopedia. I'm afraid some fans will get alienated, and some kids may not be allowed to read HP any more.

8. Probably all of those things.

9. As said above, I don't really care about this particular segment of HP characters.

10. I would read them. They may not have been labeled "children's books" though, and that would be much ado about nothing over Dumbledore.

11. Probably nothing as controversial as this, I'm hoping to find out exactly what the veil is, why Sirius died and why GH was treated differently in DH from what we have read in previous books.

12. As much info as possible ! Yes, I think I'd buy it.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Bookmarks

Tags
deathly hallows, interviews, revelations


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.