Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why is an Inferi so feared?

Old November 27th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Second Year

Why is an Inferi so feared?

An inferi is a body, animated by dark magic, to walk once more and do the bidding of a dark wizard. So what? It shambles, it moans, you stun it, it falls. You shoot it, it falls. You hit with a cricket bat, it falls. It has no magical ability, and is already rotting, so why would it be a threat?

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Australian, and Damn proud.
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Second Year

Re: Does the Marauders Map still work?

Well, yes, but is an Inferi still considered human? Or is it an object?

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Old November 27th, 2007, 9:36 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Why is an Inferi so feared?

To be honest I walking body controlled by a dark wizard sounds pretty scary to me. There is also the fact that they would be fearless and totally ruthless. Also there is a psycological aspect with the dark wizards using the body's of people's loved ones to get at them

Old November 27th, 2007, 9:38 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Does the Marauders Map still work?

I suppose if you want to be totally cold hearted a dead body is not really human any more, at least not in a technical sense so it would act like an object in terms of reaction to magic.

Last edited by Lash Dresden; November 27th, 2007 at 10:17 pm.
Old November 27th, 2007, 9:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced View Post
To be honest I walking body controlled by a dark wizard sounds pretty scary to me. There is also the fact that they would be fearless and totally ruthless. Also there is a psycological aspect with the dark wizards using the body's of people's loved ones to get at them
If we're looking at it from an objhective standpoint, it is really no different than a psychotic on pcp, except much, much slower. Plus, once its started rotting, the whole family member thing wouldn't really work.

And even when it gets you, then what? Its no stronger than a human being, and most wizards are pretty weak physically, so whats it gonna do, punch you?

Old November 27th, 2007, 10:01 pm
Defender of Dogs

Didn't Dumbledore say that the only thing that would destroy them was fire? When a dead body is coming after you, you probablt can't even think straight and wouldn't remember what do to it, as Harry di, but it's not like I know this from personal experoence. As for what you said about it rotting, I really doubt that it would rot, because of the Dark Magic enchantment on it. Voldemort wouldn't be as stupid as to have his Inferi decompose like a normal dead body. The chances are, all the people he used to cover the Horcrux Lake were people he killed long ago, before he fell to Harry, and from what we heard in HBP, they were probably pretty intact. Intact enough to try to strangle Harry, anyway. I think Inferi actually are pretty frightening, but I'm going to agree with you that the Inferi wouldn't be recognized after the Dark Curse was placed upon them, so no one would realize that they were being killed by someone they knew (if that was the case.)

Old November 27th, 2007, 10:08 pm
Second Year

One more thing - how the hell would an Inferi turn a person into a pool of remains? (Picture in Snapes classroom). I mean, in a group of about 100 to 1 person, they might be a threat, but if it was them vs a Muggle - they're zombies without the transferrance.

Old November 27th, 2007, 11:03 pm
First Year

Inferi will withstand anything, anything save fire. And, seeing as so many people die, you can have tons of it. Also, many, many people are frightened of zombies, which is what an Inferus is.

Old November 27th, 2007, 11:06 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheElves View Post
Inferi will withstand anything, anything save fire. And, seeing as so many people die, you can have tons of it. Also, many, many people are frightened of zombies, which is what an Inferus is.
Yep, and also something like that would also represent another human fear: the fear of death. Rather ironic in a way, since that was what Voldemort was afraid of.

My first ship, Perry Mason and Della Street .

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X-Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old November 28th, 2007, 1:39 am
Third Year

I think the idea is pretty scary, especially if it was someone I knew. I mean, say people saw Voldemorts body walking down the street. I think it would be frightening. I see where you are coming from though, it is pretty defenseless, and in that aspect it is a little dull, but its a dead body....creepy.

Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:41 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
And even when it gets you, then what? Its no stronger than a human being, and most wizards are pretty weak physically, so whats it gonna do, punch you?
I always imagined that the strength of an inferus depended on the strength of the dark wizard controlling and it takes it's strength not from itself but from that wizard. Since it's pretty much a puppet shooting or punching it wouldn't do much good as it wouldn't feel pain or be that much troubled by loosing an arm. That's why fire would be the only way because that would consume the inferus completely rather than just attacking parts of it.

Old November 28th, 2007, 12:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Anything un-dead is pretty creepy to me

Old November 28th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
ive never really been scared of dead bodies, i have no problem seeing a dead body, (except there was this one mummy on tv, and it was like screaming, that was actually really scary, but the thrill wore off afterwards). the psycological aspect is the thing im not as sure about. I could definitely scare the body of a loved one with fire, or stun them or soemthing, so that isnt as much of a problem, and if i really needed to, i could convince myself that the body is dead, and i shouldnt care, but it would probably be hard. but if it was just a regular dead inferi, i think only the fact that its dead that confuses a wizard on how to hurt it that makes it hard to defeat.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 28th, 2007, 10:29 pm

Another thing I just realized -- it looked as if the inferis themselves, were a way for Voldemort to control death.

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old November 28th, 2007, 11:09 pm
Secret Keeper

that really is a major symbol, but still

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:22 am
Unspeakable

I've never been that disturbed by funerals (sad, yes) or the dead, but using bodies like that isn't what a lot of people are used to seeing. They're not supposed to be weapons, they're typically treated with dignity as objects of ceremony. To use them to attack is a corruption of how people are used to seeing and thinking of them, and being such a sensitive subject makes it all the more powerful.

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:25 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Yep, and also something like that would also represent another human fear: the fear of death. Rather ironic in a way, since that was what Voldemort was afraid of.
If everyone remembers correctly, Dumbledore mentioned the fact that Voldemort's lake of inferi was what he thought would be the scarriest thing. He was terrified of death.
I agree with Fawkesfan! Most humans aren't as strong as Harry, most humans don't come to terms with death, they do fear it...and zombies.
Personally, I think that having a bunch of possesed dead people come at me would scare the crud out of me!

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:47 am
Second Year

It's a reanimated corpse with the soul purpose to do you damage. Isn't that scary enough? Maybe it's the ongoing reminder of death or the disgust and revoltion created by the presense of a festering body.

Dead people don't frighten me, so long as they arn't moving. If they get up and start the whole zombie walk I think i'd be running for the hills. Good for Harry, he could stomach a lake full of them. I don't think there is anything quite so frightening as having something from beneath a watery surface trying to drag you down. Ick.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Old November 29th, 2007, 2:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecardina View Post
It's a reanimated corpse with the soul purpose to do you damage. Isn't that scary enough? Maybe it's the ongoing reminder of death or the disgust and revoltion created by the presense of a festering body.

Dead people don't frighten me, so long as they arn't moving. If they get up and start the whole zombie walk I think i'd be running for the hills. Good for Harry, he could stomach a lake full of them. I don't think there is anything quite so frightening as having something from beneath a watery surface trying to drag you down. Ick.
I don't blame you for feeling that way. I'd do the same thing myself . The whole zombie/reanimated thing creeps me out .

Old November 29th, 2007, 11:01 am
Second Year

Quote:
I always imagined that the strength of an inferus depended on the strength of the dark wizard controlling and it takes it's strength not from itself but from that wizard. Since it's pretty much a puppet shooting or punching it wouldn't do much good as it wouldn't feel pain or be that much troubled by loosing an arm. That's why fire would be the only way because that would consume the inferus completely rather than just attacking parts of it.
You misunderstood me. I meant shooting a shotgun at the shoulder, taking the whole arm off.
If you reduce the thing to pieces, what the hells it gonna do, groan at you?

Maybe its just me, but the maccarbe has never held much fear for me. I simply take a moment, and look at it logically. And when I do, I come to the outcome of, to quote Slayer, Piece by Piece. A Zombie is not better off than a brain damaged human, and it is to be given no more fear.

Factoid - Early "Zombies" were actually people who had had their higher brain functions severed by severe drugs. Now, honestly, would you be afraid of that?

Last edited by thewbacca; November 29th, 2007 at 11:12 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives