Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why is an Inferi so feared?

Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:51 pm
Second Year

Re: Why is an Inferi so feared?

At the end of the day knowing that it is a dead body roaming around merciless would be enough to frighten the living daylights out of anyone!

Severus Snape
Heart of a Warrior, Blood of a Prince.
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2007, 6:11 pm
Second Year

As far as the killing curse is concerned, that is very true. When a person is hit they are only concious for a split second of what's happening and they're dead before they hit the ground.

I think the question why an Inferi is so feared is obvious... but it is interesting to discuss it.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 8:53 pm
Second Year

Still no-one adresses the picture in Snapes classroom. How on earth do you get does a non-cannibalistic dead body turn a person into a bloody stump?

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Australian, and Damn proud.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 8:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
Still no-one adresses the picture in Snapes classroom. How on earth do you get does a non-cannibalistic dead body turn a person into a bloody stump?
I did actually.

I answered it by saying 'teeth'.

They are relentless creatures and if there is a large amount of them, who don't eat, you can only imagine the results. I'd hate to come near a teething one. Agony on both parts.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
by me.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 9:39 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
No it's not. Like I said, Slayer got it right - Piece By Piece. For all the "rambling dead body" thing, its still no stronger than a human being. You blast off its arms and it is harmless (and quite amusing - think Black Knight in Holy Grail). You chop off its head and it is blind, and deaf. You shatter the pelvis and it is immobilised. A human can think, can plan, can call for help, can plead. An inferi can't. And once again, how does it turn someone into a bloody stump, like we saw in Snapes classroom?
cant the inferi parts try to kill you? thats why i say shred it to pieces, lets see those pieces of flesh wriggle around and kill you. but just to be safe, burn them. i think it could still be harmful if you took the individual parts off. it doesnt have to think, it doesnt have to hear, because the dark magic is all it needs. we don't even know if it can regenerate. thats what everyone is uncertain about, which just makes it all the scarier. but yes, it would be funny to see it try to kick you and fall over with its arms off, in a kind of cruel way, but i think it would be.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 2nd, 2007, 9:47 pm
Second Year

I wouldn't think so. Limbs don't just run after people, they have to be attatched to a body to work. Inferi or not.

Snape
by me.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:32 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecardina View Post
I wouldn't think so. Limbs don't just run after people, they have to be attatched to a body to work. Inferi or not.
its more of the dark magic controlling it. normal magic can make limbs levitate or something to hit people, why not dark magic on a more advanced level?

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:16 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
its more of the dark magic controlling it. normal magic can make limbs levitate or something to hit people, why not dark magic on a more advanced level?
Normal Magic requires concentration. An inferi is not a puppet, which requires that the master give a command before it does anything. Remember, Voldemort was unaware that two people had been attacked by the inferi in the cave after he left it (Harry and Regulus). Its more like a simple machine, given one command, and does that, and only that. Things like "Guard this" or "Attack that".

And how would the whole "falling over" thing be cruel? Have you seen Holy Grail? It was hysterical.

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:16 pm
Second Year

Because I can't imagine a strand of flesh wriggling over to someone in an attempt to kill them. Also, there is somewhere in the 6th book were Harry targets a Inferius and it basically crumples and doesn't resurface. It must have done enough damage to stop it in it's tracks.

Snape
by me.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
cant the inferi parts try to kill you? thats why i say shred it to pieces, lets see those pieces of flesh wriggle around and kill you. but just to be safe, burn them. i think it could still be harmful if you took the individual parts off. it doesnt have to think, it doesnt have to hear, because the dark magic is all it needs.
"Everybody Run!! The nose is trying to kill us!!"...Nup, I don't really see it. An arm can't move very well on its own, it doesn't have enough purchase. To those who will say "People can crawl on their stomachs" that is simply dragging the body towards the arm. The physics of it doesn't work.

And as for it doesn't need its senses, the Inferi did nothing until Harry broke the surface of the water. They felt the movement in the water. They also saw the burning whip, and fled that. They still use their senses. On dry land, it would require its sight, its hearing and its sense of smell, thing centralized in the head. To quote Scary Movie "I've got it. Without their heads they're powerless."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecardina View Post
I did actually.

I answered it by saying 'teeth'.

They are relentless creatures and if there is a large amount of them, who don't eat, you can only imagine the results. I'd hate to come near a teething one. Agony on both parts.
You ever tryed biting your own hand?

The jaws simply aren't strong enough to break through muscle tissue. Teeth could strip away a few layers of skin, sure, bu leaving a bloody stump? No. Also, teeth would break if they tried to get through raw bones.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:57 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
The jaws simply aren't strong enough to break through muscle tissue. Teeth could strip away a few layers of skin, sure, bu leaving a bloody stump? No. Also, teeth would break if they tried to get through raw bones.
it would hurt though. and people would definitely get freaked out

My Deviantart Account

Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:03 am
Second Year

Quote:

You would be pleasantly suprised. Although we do not use a lot of jaw power these days, we do have the strength to chew through tough meat. Now... i'm not saying it would take them five minutes but with 10+ inferi it could be done.

Snape
by me.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 1:52 am
Second Year

Quote:
"Everybody Run!! The nose is trying to kill us!!"...Nup, I don't really see it. An arm can't move very well on its own, it doesn't have enough purchase. To those who will say "People can crawl on their stomachs" that is simply dragging the body towards the arm. The physics of it doesn't work.

And as for it doesn't need its senses, the Inferi did nothing until Harry broke the surface of the water. They felt the movement in the water. They also saw the burning whip, and fled that. They still use their senses. On dry land, it would require its sight, its hearing and its sense of smell, thing centralized in the head. To quote Scary Movie "I've got it. Without their heads they're powerless."

I think you are overthinking this. We do not even know if the inferi can loose body parts, do we? They are held together by dark magic, right? Maybe that keeps them from loosing their body parts. If it was that easy, then Dumbledore would have said to Harry "Cut their heads off. They cannot see or smell without them."

Also, I thought the Inferi didn't do anything until Dumbledore had drank the water? It maybe the way it is written, but I thought the inferi only came out of the water after Dumbledore had drank the water.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 2:05 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo125 View Post
I think you are overthinking this. We do not even know if the inferi can loose body parts, do we? They are held together by dark magic, right? Maybe that keeps them from loosing their body parts. If it was that easy, then Dumbledore would have said to Harry "Cut their heads off. They cannot see or smell without them."

Also, I thought the Inferi didn't do anything until Dumbledore had drank the water? It maybe the way it is written, but I thought the inferi only came out of the water after Dumbledore had drank the water.
No, I'm quite certain that a hand had grabbed him when he scooped a cup of water. Thats why he could only throw the water on Dumbledores face.
As for the Inferi, well, we may not know that, but think logically for a second. If it was a force holding together every fiber of the dead body, why not just attack with that force?

Old December 3rd, 2007, 3:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
No, I'm quite certain that a hand had grabbed him when he scooped a cup of water. Thats why he could only throw the water on Dumbledores face.
As for the Inferi, well, we may not know that, but think logically for a second. If it was a force holding together every fiber of the dead body, why not just attack with that force?
You could very well be right about the water. I dont have the books with me.

Could you explain the second part again? I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 8:04 pm
Second Year

Obviously the inferi could sense water movement. The boat seemed to have some sort of protective spell over it but i'm guessing if anything else touched the water the inferi would automatically react.

Snape
by me.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 8:31 pm
Second Year

Thats another thing. Why didn't Dumbledore just conjure a cup, scoop out the potion, set it down, and conjure another cup?

Old December 3rd, 2007, 8:36 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Thats another thing. Why didn't Dumbledore just conjure a cup, scoop out the potion, set it down, and conjure another cup?
Because only the goblet that was provided could penetrate through the potion. Nothing else could get through to touch the potion - it was as though a barrier was there. Voldemort had thought of everything

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old December 3rd, 2007, 8:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
Because only the goblet that was provided could penetrate through the potion. Nothing else could get through to touch the potion - it was as though a barrier was there. Voldemort had thought of everything
There was no provided goblet. Dumbledore conjured it.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:11 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
There was no provided goblet. Dumbledore conjured it.
what i don't understand is that why dumbledore couldnt empty the goblet in another bowl and then set it aside, then he wouldnt have to face the inferi.

My Deviantart Account

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives