Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why is an Inferi so feared?

Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:13 pm
Second Year

Re: Why is an Inferi so feared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
what i don't understand is that why dumbledore couldnt empty the goblet in another bowl and then set it aside.
Because he was only able to get a goblet, nothing else. He wouldn't have been able to pour it either. There was only one way to do it.. drink. Riddle thought through it all.

And this is going slightly off topic.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:13 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
There was no provided goblet. Dumbledore conjured it.
Ooops, my bad! Well I have no idea then

On a side note, I'm quite interested to know what spell or Dark Magic you would use to enchant a dead body to become an Inferi. I don't think there were any hints in the books. Hopefully this kind of information will come with the Encyclopedia

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:26 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post

On a side note, I'm quite interested to know what spell or Dark Magic you would use to enchant a dead body to become an Inferi. I don't think there were any hints in the books. Hopefully this kind of information will come with the Encyclopedia
i always saw an inferi as a sort of imperius on the dead or an advanced form of dark magic wingarium leviosa on dead bodies.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:28 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post

It'll probably be something like 'mortacus revivantus'

Okay... so I made that up but it's latin-french-ish.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
by me.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:29 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo125 View Post
I think you are overthinking this. We do not even know if the inferi can loose body parts, do we? They are held together by dark magic, right? Maybe that keeps them from loosing their body parts. If it was that easy, then Dumbledore would have said to Harry "Cut their heads off. They cannot see or smell without them."

Also, I thought the Inferi didn't do anything until Dumbledore had drank the water? It maybe the way it is written, but I thought the inferi only came out of the water after Dumbledore had drank the water.
well, i think that inferi don't need to smell or see. the dark magic sort of is the senses.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:33 pm
The Godfather

I don't think that Inferi "sense" anything. They are martinets, puppets on a string. They are infused with a magical command to perform a task, and they do it, much like one would key in the speed on your cruise control and then the car just goes at that speed. It doesn't recognize other drivers, or curves in the road. The cavern was a pretty confined space, even more so in the boat, so all LV would have to do to "program" the Inferi would be to go after the boat. Period.

Thanks to cybobbie for the awesome sig pic!
Thanks to the best fanclub in the world!

My Fanfics:
A History of Magic: Part II - Beyond the Epilogue
Teddy Lupin and the Legacy of the Marauders ; A History of Magic: The Harry Potter Era (on hiatus); You Are Cordially Invited... (First Attempt)
Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:34 pm
Second Year

Well the Dark magic may aid to rise the senses to a slightly 'animal' level. Inferi may be able to sense humans but not act out unless the water is disturbed out of order. They are dead. There is no doubt about that. They can't breath and maybe they can't see as there is nothing to think about such images but they do work as they are supose to. They ain't people, just tools.

Snape
by me.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:42 pm
Secret Keeper

maybe the dark magic sort of puts like a magical magnet that makes the inferi to do its bidding. like to attract the inferi to a certain person or something.

My Deviantart Account

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:16 am
Fourth Year

Because they bring up memories of a loved one's horrible death. I stand to be corrected here, but didn't Snape see Inferi. If that is the case and he's seen as a cold-hearted, standoffish, "get away from me" Man, then the Inferi are pretty bad. Plus look at the way James and Lily died.
I also think they are kind of like the Wizarding World's version of "the People under the Stairs", Zombies, etc. The kind of creatures seen in horror movies. No feelings, not caring whom they grab, kill, etc.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old December 6th, 2007, 1:01 am
Secret Keeper

just to add on to previous posts, i think part of it is also that you can't trick an inferi, mentally anyways. you can't beg, you don't know how to stopthem, and its just the fact that they are so different. for example, if you are going against a foreigner in some sort of contest, you won't know how they think and how they act. if you are going against someone you know, you know their flaws and weaknesses, but you don't with an inferi. and the fact that theyre dead means that they don't feel pain. you can crucio them, and sever them, (as we saw with sectusempra) and they won't be stopped. a normal person would kick and scream or whatever, or at least stop for a while or just be weaker, but that's not the case with an inferi. and just that theyredead scares most people, as portrayed by this thread. most people here are saying they would be freaked out.

My Deviantart Account

Old December 7th, 2007, 2:25 am
Third Year

I also think that inferi are sort of "imperiused". They dark witch or wizard who bewitches them, gives them an assignment and that is all they can do. Like the ones in the lake, they have to drag the person that takes the water to the lake. Also that same spell or curse, prevents the body from rotting.

Old December 10th, 2007, 10:05 pm
Second Year

Well, we have some established things of Inferi

LV was unaware that the Inferi had been awoken (Twice) So he didn't have a direct hand in them. That rules out Imperius, or any spell that takes concentration.

The Inferi didn't attack when Harry tried to summon the locket. They only attacked after his hand disturbed the waters surface. that would indicate that they react on their senses. As they were underwater, they would rely on feeling to know where ripples are coming from (bank or island) and move towards it.

Inferi were also used by Grindelwald, so the spell was not developed by LV.

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Australian, and Damn proud.
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:25 pm
Secret Keeper

It's not that they are imperiused, just that they are controlled to do something. It's kind of like a cross from confundus and imperius.

Since when an inferius is only given one task to do, it probably just makes them a bit scarier, since they can't be deterred.

My Deviantart Account

Old December 11th, 2007, 12:21 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
It's not that they are imperiused, just that they are controlled to do something. It's kind of like a cross from confundus and imperius.

Since when an inferius is only given one task to do, it probably just makes them a bit scarier, since they can't be deterred.
Think of it as a simple computer. Its programmed to do one thing, and only one thing, at a time. It can't figure out a better way to do things, it doesn't learn from its mistakes. If you stood on one side of a chasm, with them on the other, each one would jump off the cliff to try and get you.

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Old December 13th, 2007, 8:22 am
Fifth Year

I saw them like Zombies...dead and being controled by another..mindless...unstopable, as Harry found out trying to curse them.

Old December 20th, 2007, 4:14 pm
Second Year

Ah. It says in HBP that Inferi are made to attack, not be controlled. In the cave, Dumbledore said that the Inferi would even atack LV, so he had to place it in the centre.

Old December 20th, 2007, 4:48 pm
First Year

Well to have a bunch of dead guys coming after you would be rather creepy, especially if you weren’t expecting it. Plus if it was a loved one, or someone you killed it would kind of add to that creepiness. I wonder if you have to kill someone to turn them into an Inferi or if they just have to be dead, if you don’t necessarily have to kill them yourself you could like go to a graveyard, use magic to dig up a bunch of graves, and then turn all the dead bodies into Inferi.

Old December 20th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Second Year

Creepy, yes. Eerie, sure. but as deadly as they are made to seem in the books? I can't see that one. Like i said, A cricket bat would be all yoiu need. Or, obtain a large scythe and start twirling that thing. Pureed corpses.

Old December 20th, 2007, 7:12 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
Ah. It says in HBP that Inferi are made to attack, not be controlled. In the cave, Dumbledore said that the Inferi would even atack LV, so he had to place it in the centre.

Quote:
"They are corpses," said Dumbledore calmly. "Dead bodies that have been bewitched to do a Dark wizards bidding...." HBP page 62
It sounds as though the Dark wizard controls them. SO I don't think Voldemort would have been worried about himself. He could control them because he bewitched them.

The idea of dead bodies walking around attacking people creeps me out. IT really does. It makes me a little bit sick to think about. I don't even think I would have enough sense to get a bat or something. I probably would haul it outta there though. Maybe not, it is hard to say I just know I would never like to find out just what I would do lol.

Old December 20th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I'm kind of creeped out too. It's kind of hard to reason with one - they're dead. It's also hard to stop one - after all, they're dead. Harry found that out the hard way.

Plus, there's just something creepy about dead things attacking you. The yuck factor is pretty high.

Dumbledore may have known the way to control them - "let there be light" - but it can be hard to think about when the moment arrives.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives