Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Family & Parenting

All in a Name: Stories Behind How Names Were Chosen

Old May 7th, 2009, 2:28 am
Seventh Year

Re: All in a Name: Stories Behind How Names Were Chosen

I was going to be named Alex whether I was a boy or a girl .... go figure!

But I don't like Alex anymore, so I get called Ally

Old July 23rd, 2009, 7:54 pm
Second Year

My name came from where my parents went on their honeymoon. Victoria. So yeah, easy enough I guess.

Me and my man have talked about it a bit, and when we have kids, we want to name a girl Ava Jade, simply because we both love the name Ava, and Jade is just a name that has lots of memories tied to it for us. For a boy, we'd want the first name to be Dallon. We haven't thought of a middle name yet, but I love Dallon as a first name. It's unique, and just... suits things well.

Old August 5th, 2009, 9:51 am
Sixth Year

I was going to be called Michael, because my dad likes the name (it's of an archangel, if you don't know). But when I turned out to be a girl, he called the priest, asking what's the feminine of Michael. The priest said Michelle, so that's how I got my name. For my Chinese name (we Chinese have a Christian name and a Chinese name), my mom asked a relative who was fluent in Chinese, so they picked it out for me.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:20 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

My mom liked how mine was... it's an Irish name and she thought it sounded pretty. And in the end, that's why I ended up with it . I don't mind it myself -- my middle name on the other hand, I'm not overly fond of .

My first ship, Perry Mason and Della Street .

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X-Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old August 6th, 2009, 5:16 am
Second Year

My story isn't interesting. My dad picked the name Megan and my mom liked it so that's my name. Same thing goes for the name I would've had if I was a boy (Corey).

Hufflepuff
Old August 9th, 2009, 6:23 am
Second Year

My name's Shin-Ning.

The first syllable was named after my brother's name, while the second syllable is the name of the street where I was born. Pretty boring, eh. ;P

Old November 7th, 2009, 11:48 am
Fifth Year

We are currently expecting number 3. We don't know if it's a girl or a boy. We have a name for a boy but can't decide between Amelia Grace or Amelia Faith for a girl. We are running out of time and it's driving us mad!

Old November 7th, 2009, 6:33 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I like the sound of Amelia Grace, but don't forget to do an initials check.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old November 7th, 2009, 6:59 pm
Second Year

Even though I am a girl, my name is Dylan. I was named after Bob Dylan. My dad claims that they got the name from Bob Dylan. but I'm not named after Bob Dylan. I personally don't see the difference, but what can you do.
I used to get really angry about my name, because kids would always ask me, "Isn't that a boy name?" Or at least, they did that until, in 5th grade, I punched a kid in the nose. No one asks me about my name anymore.
Now I actually like my name. I read a study that girls with more masculine names do better in law careers, and that's what I want to do, so it's perfect.

Brought to you with help from the eternally awesome DarkLord7.

Future Ruler of the ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!!! *Dramatic lightning*

I lost The Game.
Old November 10th, 2009, 1:56 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I like the sound of Amelia Grace, but don't forget to do an initials check.
We'll probably go with Grace, although all this over the girls name it's probably going to be a boy

I always check initials even with nicknames, hubby thought I was mad until I pointed out that if we called Dylan what he wanted to then the poor boys initials would have been COW!

Old November 10th, 2009, 6:25 pm

If you want a little girl, I hope you do get one - we're done at three boys. I'm not about to "try again" and be outnumbered 5-1 in my own home. As it is, I've decided any pets we get shall be female.

Amelia Grace does sound very nice, though. I hope you do go with that, and let us know when you find out! What are your choices for boys so far?

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old November 11th, 2009, 6:41 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
If you want a little girl, I hope you do get one - we're done at three boys. I'm not about to "try again" and be outnumbered 5-1 in my own home. As it is, I've decided any pets we get shall be female.

Amelia Grace does sound very nice, though. I hope you do go with that, and let us know when you find out! What are your choices for boys so far?
As long as Squirt has 10 fingers and 10 toes and is healthy I really don't mind either way! We're like you though this is it! I claim the fish is a girl to even things up a bit here.

The boy is going to be Noah James. Noah because we both just love it and James is a family name on both my mum and dad's sides.

Old November 11th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Those names sound fantastic together!

Good luck to you and yours. Healthy is of course the best blessing when babies are concerned, and I hope it extends to you as well.

Old November 12th, 2009, 9:57 pm
First Year

My name- not that interesting. However, I do have a friend whose middle name is Wright, after her mother's maiden name. Her older sister's middle name is also Wright. It's quite funny-- when we get in an argument, she can always say: "You're wrong, for heaven's sake my middle name is wright!"
Another interesting name thing: My brother shares the same first and middle name with his best friend's dad. Total coincidence.

Old November 30th, 2009, 8:57 pm
Fifth Year

Well it ended up being Noah James! He has kept us on our toes by arriving a month early! He's doing well and has made it out of the incubator now so hopefully he'll be home soon.

Old December 1st, 2009, 1:13 am

Oh, wow, congratulations! Noah James is a wonderful name. You're in my boat now; only female among four males! Cheers!

Old December 3rd, 2009, 5:04 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsRSkary View Post
Now I actually like my name. I read a study that girls with more masculine names do better in law careers, and that's what I want to do, so it's perfect.
That's it! I'm changing my name to a masculine name. Everyone, please call me Mike. Nah, not interested in law, but I sort of like masculine names. I don't think my name (Michelle) fits me very well, because I'm not feminine at all, and I feel Michelle's a really feminine name. Perhaps too feminine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83 View Post
Well it ended up being Noah James! He has kept us on our toes by arriving a month early! He's doing well and has made it out of the incubator now so hopefully he'll be home soon.
Congrats!

Quote:
Oh, wow, congratulations! Noah James is a wonderful name. You're in my boat now; only female among four males! Cheers!
At first, I was wondering if you had four brothers! I know, I'm so dumb...

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)

Last edited by MC2456; December 3rd, 2009 at 5:26 am.
Old February 10th, 2010, 7:03 am
Fifth Year

My step dad liked the name, so my mom went with it.
Simple as that.

I don't know what names I'll use when I have my kids, I plan on going with whatever sounds right.
I wont be like my older brother and his girlfriend they had to, just had to find a weird name, and name there son it, his names Ilias(Ii-lie-as), they got lucky and the name fit him, it is more the spelling that annoys me and the fast that even sometimes they pronounce the name with a uh sound instead of Ii.

My sister and her boyfriend went with a name she liked and felt that fit her baby(who is three months on the 16). She was going to use Lily/lilian, but I was glad she didn't, I think that they were forcing that name and I am glad they picked Alayna, I couldn't picture her a Lily/Lilian. Her middle names Rose(they wanted part of her name to be a kind of flower), her whole name flows really good. The funny thing is they got her name from our little brothers girlfriend(now ex), they had seen the name spelt Alaena, and didn't like it because the E, (I don't like the way it looks much either)when my brother told her his gf's name at the time she fell in love with it He was kind of annoyed that she used that name

Last edited by deathplce4myhed; February 10th, 2010 at 7:06 am.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 1:14 pm
Second Year

For myself, I was named after both of my grandfathers (James Edward and James Thomas).

As for my son, he was also named James after my grandfathers and William after one of my ex-wife's grandfathers.

My Daughter was named Mary Elizabeth Grace simply because we liked all three names. If she'd been a boy, she would have been John Michael Peter after the three uncles.

The greatest act can be one little vicotry
Old June 4th, 2010, 2:45 am
First Year

Well, my parent's claim my name was just one they chose and liked, but I'm not so sure. I found out from my grandmother that my dad used to have a guinea-pig named Timothy, my parent's haven't denied my theory that I'm named after a guinea-pig, therefore it must be right! So there you have it, I'm named after my dad's pet.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Family & Parenting