Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Should the movies have been made after all of the books were written?

Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:19 pm
Sixth Year

Should the movies have been made after all of the books were written?

I've been thinking about this recently. Ignoring the present cast and everything, and thinking hypothetically only, would it have been better to have made the movies after all the books were written?
I think there have been some problems with choosing to make the films before the actual story ended, for example leaving out sub-plots that seemed non-essential at the time but have become vital towards the end of the series.

~ Eric Northman ~

Because real vampires don't sparkle.

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2008, 6:24 pm
First Year

Re: Should the movies have been made after all of the books were written?

I disagree. Jo has worked alongside the filmmakers all this time and has had the final say as to what is and isn't in a movie. Subplots that WE feel were important, weren't necessarily important to Jo. Remember that movie versions of books will never capture the depth of characters and subplots.

Said Hufflepuff, "I'll teach the lot, and treat them just the same."

Hufflepuff students are friendly, fair-minded, modest, and hard-working. A well-known member was Cedric Diggory, who represented Hogwarts in the most recent Triwizard Tournament.

BEWARE THE BADGER!
Old March 24th, 2008, 6:44 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lynz_ View Post
I've been thinking about this recently. Ignoring the present cast and everything, and thinking hypothetically only, would it have been better to have made the movies after all the books were written?
I think there have been some problems with choosing to make the films before the actual story ended, for example leaving out sub-plots that seemed non-essential at the time but have become vital towards the end of the series.
I can see that point. If they had waited until all of the book were complete then they would have had the full series and would have known which parts of the earlier books would make an impact on the later books. However, I like the fact that fandom seems to have increased because of the films. I wasn't interested in the books at all until I heard about Philosopher's Stone being made. I can see for the subplots and for satifaction of fans why it would have been better to have waited until the series had been written, but I would like to see a remake in about 20 years time anyway.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old March 24th, 2008, 6:44 pm
First Year

Hmmm...that's a very good question. I think they were right to make the movies alongside the books because, first of all: it would take ages for the books to finish. I mean, 10 years (97-07)! Also, by the time all the books came out, the craze would've died down a little. The movies also gave fans something to do while they were waiting for the next book.

Old March 24th, 2008, 6:45 pm
Sixth Year

I think they most definitely be remade in about 20 years or so, most classic books do have a lot of adaptations. I know Harry Potter isn't a classic yet, but it will be in about 50 years!

~ Eric Northman ~

Old March 24th, 2008, 7:08 pm
First Year

Quote:
I think they most definitely be remade in about 20 years or so, most classic books do have a lot of adaptations. I know Harry Potter isn't a classic yet, but it will be in about 50 years!
Of course it will! Keep your hopes up! *crosses fingers*
If they will be remade, they'll be remade into more modern versions. Like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:47 pm
Winning Teamster

I think you have a point. I followed the making of the LotR films, and having the books well established and finished made a difference, I think.

Moreover, I always wonder how much impact the films had on the writing of the later books (there are a few passages where I am sure that they did make a difference). I'd rather have had the books complete without having to ask this question.

On the other hand, JKR's co-operation with the filmmakers was a bonus. I heard somewhere that Alan Rickman, for example, knew Snape's true loyalty long before anyone else did - watching the films with the knowledge of DH I think one can see that. It would have been very hard to play some of the characters without SOME advance knowledge, but in Snape's case this problem is of course particularly tricky.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:48 am
Second Year

Quote:
I agree 100%. Especially after the 4th book, the first 3 didn't have any major cuts that become important later in the series.

Old March 25th, 2008, 1:34 am
Second Year

Quote:
They almost left out Kreacher in OOTP but JKR said that things would get very hard for them in movie 7

Old March 25th, 2008, 1:54 am
Banned

I don't think it really would have mattered if they did the movies before or after. Just as long as all the major parts of the books are put into the movies and that the movies are good.

Old March 25th, 2008, 2:39 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I don't think it really would have mattered if they did the movies before or after. Just as long as all the major parts of the books are put into the movies and that the movies are good.
Yes - but how could you tell what *major* parts were without knowing the end? Some things only became relevant much later.....

Ultimately, I think the most difficult thing is still to get the characters right without knowing everything about them - particularly Snape and Dumbledore, of course!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old March 25th, 2008, 3:14 pm
Seventh Year

To be honest, of they were made after the books were finished, then it would have been easier to cut things out that weren't necessarily needed for DH, and make sure they have to keep things in for the last one if you know what i mean, because they would know from the first film what the series has to include for the final film. But then to me that wouldn't be as good, i don't think we would have had these i guess foils and parallels in the films, such as POA where JKR said in that film there were hints of the final book and such which were done without realising what they were...i don't think we would have has those little quirks, and if we did they wouldn't have been the same, tey would have been added on purpose rather than accidentally....My opinion, i don't think it would have been better, if they were done after the books were all out, i don't think it would have had the same feel to it...also JKR has been helping the directors throughout the film making, she has made sure that important things are kept in so it would be easier i guess to do the last one..I.E she told them to keep in Kreacher.

Quote:
Ultimately, I think the most difficult thing is still to get the characters right without knowing everything about them - particularly Snape and Dumbledore, of course!
for me this is a good thing, not knowing everything about the character at first until the last film. It means the actors/actresses are able to build up the knowledge fo their character and learn more about them as time goes on, which for me means that their acting is able to develop as their character develops. If the actor /actress already knows everything about their character then there will be no character building ir what not in the films, which i think wouldn't make the films as effective

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old March 25th, 2008, 5:53 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
I think you have a point. I followed the making of the LotR films, and having the books well established and finished made a difference, I think.
This is exactly what I was thinking of, (the LOTR films), when I made this thread.

~ Eric Northman ~

Old March 25th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

In a word, YES!

I think Rowling did help things along by advising the filmmakers, but I get the sense that she may have been a bit hamstrung by not wanting to leak information from whatever book was being released next.

Best business practices aside (yes, I get that concurrent releases were a good business decision because you want to strike while the iron is hot, blah blah blah) I feel that the movies were compromised somewhat what with folks not knowing that cuts made in earlier films would affect later films, or even knowing what was going to happen in the next book. For example, I doubt they would have cut Lily out of the Marauder's scene if they'd known she would figure as prominently as she does in the last book (although that's an argument that could go either way).

And frankly it would have been really cool if they'd been shot one right after the other (just as "LOTR"), rather than there being a lag of a year or two between.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.

Last edited by Lillbet; March 25th, 2008 at 6:02 pm. Reason: example
Old March 26th, 2008, 5:39 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post
such as POA where JKR said in that film there were hints of the final book and such which were done without realising what they were
Do you mind saying what those were? All I can think of is the Ron and Hermione thing

Old March 26th, 2008, 11:15 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post
for me this is a good thing, not knowing everything about the character at first until the last film. It means the actors/actresses are able to build up the knowledge fo their character and learn more about them as time goes on, which for me means that their acting is able to develop as their character develops. If the actor /actress already knows everything about their character then there will be no character building ir what not in the films, which i think wouldn't make the films as effective
I think that this is true for the characters who actually develop - such as Harry and his friends. But it is a real problem with characters who ARE already developed in the books.

JKR knew which side Snape was on from the very beginning, and she hid it carefully without contradicting the basic facts. The problem is, that in a film you have to do the same thing by very different means. As it happens, even JKR seems to have thought this important and she seems to have given Alan Rickman some hints. If you watch the films you can see it, IMHO. However, I think they could have made Snape even more interesting if they had really known the full details about his character!

Funnily enough, Dumbledore always had a touch of the flamboyant in the films, and yet I don't assume that JKR told anyone about his sexuality before she mentioned it in that famous interview. I guess the character as written in the books just invites a certain interpretation.

I am curious how HBP will play out, now that they DO know everything.

I wonder whether in POA they would have left out the little detail about who the authors of the Marauders' map were if they had known how important that story-line would become later on. I think that omission in POA is probably the one thing I find most problematic.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old March 26th, 2008, 4:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicks View Post
Do you mind saying what those were? All I can think of is the Ron and Hermione thing
I think she was referring to the fact that Snape jumps in front of Harry and Hermione when Lupin transforms into the werewolf. Its been a long time since I watched the movie so this could have not even happened.

Old March 26th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Interesting question. But I don't think so. I think they gave Jo enough room on the set to put her two sense worth if something would affect later movies. We have heard of her doing such. Also, she informed Rickman of his characters loyalties early on so the actors that were on a need to know basis were informed accordingly. The directors and producers had free reigns, but I think they all wanted to make sure that they stayed within the story line that may come.

I for one also love that they made the movies alongside the books coming out because that is how I got hooked on the world. I think they brought in a bunch of people that may not have picked up the books normally. If they waited to make the movies, I probably would have never been that curious about the books I thought were kid books.

Old March 26th, 2008, 6:40 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicks View Post
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....eathly+Hallows

not just he Ron/Hermione thing, Lupins comment about Lily being able to see the best in others (snape), snape standing in front of Harry, etc, also the one that i found interesting when Sirius and Harry are having their sould sucked at the end two streams of...um soul come from harrys mouth, only one from sirius horcruxes

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old March 26th, 2008, 6:48 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I think that it was a good thing that they made the movies while the series was being written because then we wouldn't have anything to entertain us while the other books were being written. Without the movies, the anticipation for the next book would've been even worse if we didn't have movies to watch......Potter Movies.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies