Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Should the movies have been made after all of the books were written?

Old July 30th, 2011, 4:01 pm
Third Year

Re: Should the movies have been made after all of the books were written?

I thought it worked out regardless of the few inconsistencies in the films. I hated that we didn't see more of Sirius and Severus, but everything came together in the end.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2011, 7:03 pm
Fifth Year

The books would have been different. I think the movies did influence the books, though perhaps in just minor ways. There is a character in HBP named Demelza, probably due to the fact that Demelza House is a charity supported by Dan Radcliffe. And Slughorn would not have mistakenly called Ron "Rupert" if the actor who played Ron was not named Rupert.

Old July 30th, 2011, 7:35 pm
First Year

I couldn't believe they started making the films when the book series hadn't been finished. To my eleven year old mind this was the worst travesty I could imagine. I wanted the whole lot written on paper before starting to watch it on screen.

But I thought that give or take minor details it worked out okay.

Old July 30th, 2011, 8:23 pm
Second Year

I don't think the movies have to wait until after the books are all out because the movies were undoubtedly going to be flawed anyway so it doesn't really matter.

YewSpirit36 is waiting for Pottermore
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:11 pm
Third Year

Part of me thinks it may have been better to wait so they could have known what would be important later on. I really with they'd made more of Snape, Sirius and Ginny.

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:28 pm
Second Year

It would have helped a little bit but most of the actors would be different and thatd be soooo weird

Old October 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Third Year

We will never know but I think that the movies would be better if it was all created after all the books were written.

Old October 29th, 2011, 9:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

No, I like the idea of having the books and movies made almost together.

Old October 29th, 2011, 11:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclonePrefect8 View Post
It would have helped a little bit but most of the actors would be different and thatd be soooo weird
How would they be different?

"When I was about twelve, I used to think I must be a genius, but nobody's noticed. Either I'm a genius or I'm mad, which is it? 'No,' I said, 'I can't be mad because nobody's put me away; therefore I'm a genius.' Genius is a form of madness and we're all that way. But I used to be coy about it, like me guitar playing. But if there's such a thing as genius - I am one. And if there isn't, I don't care." - John Lennon
Old October 30th, 2011, 3:43 am
First Year

I think the timing was fine itself, because everyone would then be complaining that it was taking too long for the movies (or not everyone, but most people). Although, I think Jo should have told the writers some stuff that was mentioned in the earlier books that effects the later ones, just so they would know what more to have included and excluded. Then that would have solved every problem that everyone complains about (even though they would probably still mess it up.

Old October 30th, 2011, 2:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie330 View Post
How would they be different?
The movies would be made after the books so that would make Daniel radcliffe, emma Watson, and Rupert grint not harry Ron and hermione as they'd be to old.

Old October 30th, 2011, 4:48 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Although not having experienced the original cast in their roles there would be no basis for comparison.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 31st, 2011, 4:37 am
Second Year

We probably would have complained about having to wait so long for the movie series and really, another decade of JUST HP MOVIES, no more books, might've gotten a tad old.

Pottermore: ShadowMagic
And because everyone loves a bit of Disney blog magic: Just a Spoonful of Sugar
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:45 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

I really liked it when the movies started coming out between books. It was like having two really neat things to look forward to instead of just one. For over ten years we were able to anticipate either a new book or the movie version of an older one. I miss that, now.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old October 31st, 2011, 5:05 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
I really liked it when the movies started coming out between books. It was like having two really neat things to look forward to instead of just one. For over ten years we were able to anticipate either a new book or the movie version of an older one. I miss that, now.
Yes exactly! I do wish we had more time to enjoy new releases of stuff, as I'm sure evyone does, but if we waited for the books and then the movies it just would've been an obscene amount of time for the world to be enraptured with HP releases. Plus, Pottermore would've been delayed.

Pottermore: ShadowMagic
And because everyone loves a bit of Disney blog magic: Just a Spoonful of Sugar
Old October 31st, 2011, 5:05 pm
Snidget of Champions

For the consistency and accuracy of the films' storylines, I think making the movies after all the books were completed would have been enormously helpful. There would have been much more cohesion, and I think the plotlines would have flowed more smoothly if the director(s) knew the direction the plot was heading. As it were, the filmmakers continuously had to guess what aspects of the books were significant, which ones could be cut, which to be emphasized, etc. until HBP. And this problem would have been avoided if the movies were produced after the books were written.

But, in hindsight, I think that route would have sacrificed the popularity of Harry Potter. Although Harry Potter was growing wildly before the first movie was announced, I do not think the series would have ever reached the popularity it garnered with the help of the films. The movies opened up a completely new audience to the series and introduced many of those to the books/fandom. Who knows if the books would have continued to be successful without the advertisements that were the films? Thus, I think the films' production coinciding with the books' releases had, overall, a positive effect on the success and ubiquity of Harry Potter.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old October 31st, 2011, 6:37 pm
Registered Animagus

I agree. I don't think that the series would have become as popular as it is without the films, so if the books weren't coming out at the same time i just don't know if there would ever have been films. The books would have come out to a lot less popularity and it would have been a lot less likely that there would ever be films.

I think the decision to make the first film increased the popularity of the series. I had never heard of Harry Potter until the first film came out and then i read the first four books. I read a lot too so i think it would easily have been possible for Harry Potter to never gain the popularity it has without the films.

Old November 15th, 2011, 5:15 pm
First Year

Yes, because almost all the important things came in the end though the producers have done really well and the movies are very successful.

It is our choices... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.

Of course this is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

Albus Dumbledore
Old November 15th, 2011, 5:55 pm
First Year

Hopefully in the future we can look forward to a mini-series (three episodes per book) or a television show made out of the Potter books. I think so long as they could keep the mini-series completely true to the storyline, it would be a great way to properly pay homage to the books.

I mean, Lord of the Rings got a couple of movies before Jackson's version, as did Narnia. I can only hope, it would be a great re imagining of the series, and you could always get the trio to play older characters

Old November 15th, 2011, 11:35 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
Part of me thinks it may have been better to wait so they could have known what would be important later on. I really with they'd made more of Snape, Sirius and Ginny.
Good point! A lot of scenes seem to be condensed as well so they don't get to the important aspects. For example, Snape's Worst Memory didn't even include Snape's exchange with Lily- the actual reason why it remains his worst memory.

Hufflepuff Pride
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies