Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

How did you get into anime?

Old April 3rd, 2008, 8:02 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

How did you get into anime?

What made you start watching anime? What was the first anime you watched?

I actually started watching anime because of this Harry Potter forum. There is a thread on villains and someone was talking about Orochimaru. He sounded like an interesting villain so I decided to check out Naruto. I fell in love with from the very beginning! Then I decided to check out other animes and I have been an addict ever since.

Old April 4th, 2008, 7:08 am
Sixth Year

Re: How did you get into anime?

We have a gaming magazine in South Africa that at one time featured an anime section on its cover DVD. I watched the video clips of the different anime, liked what I saw of Gunslinger Girl, and the rest is history...

Old April 4th, 2008, 10:03 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I always like them, they were the things I watched every day after school when I was younger and on weekends. Can't say when it started, but it's a long long long fanish love.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 5th, 2008, 7:07 am
Registered Animagus

I used to sit in Borders for hours and read every day after school and eventually I decided to have a look at the manga section. Read a few short series and then I started reading Death Note which lead to me watching the anime for it and the anime for other series.

Old April 5th, 2008, 10:07 pm
Second Year

I can't remember o_O But the first anime I saw was Hellsing and Kino no tabi and after that I just continued watching more but now I've replaced anime with dramas.

Old April 11th, 2008, 11:59 am
Hogwarts Graduate

We used to get a fair few dubbed anime shows on TV when I was little, so I guess it really began there...that, and Sailor Moon on VHS. Manga came a little later for me, and even after I'd gotten into it, the lack of availability in bookshops was frustrating- I've learned not to depend on retail channels in India to find out what's going on wth my favourite mangas . Though even now, I wouldn't call myself a manga nut, since I only follow a few series..

Old April 11th, 2008, 2:15 pm
First Year

My first anime show was Pokemon. When I was nine, I was literally ADDICTED to it. After that, I started watching Beyblade, and I thought the anime toons were awesome!

Old April 11th, 2008, 6:07 pm
First Year

Actually it was my little brother! I always watched pokemon and digimon when i was younger i was hooked on those shows i remeber running home from school because Pokemon started at 3:00 and Digimon at 3:30, I still watch the re-runs, I also used to love SailorMoon but that was only on,on Saturdays, i would wake up at 7 so i could watch all the episodes! But My little brother is really into Manga, i know this because ive fed his addiction with my wallet, but its cool that hes into that stuff, so im glad to do it! its the only reading he does, and he got me into. after all if im gonna be buying them for him all the time, i wanna read it too! The library in our hometown didnt carry alot of the books, But we recently moved and theres a whole store here dedicated to Manga and Anime things! Its his world, he lives in that shop!lol So i guess through him i cant help but like it! Our favorite is Naruto,( he follows so many i cant keep up with all of them) which i watch with him every week,or when ever its on.( i gave him the Dvd collection for christmas last year, his face was priceless!)

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? - Albus Dumbledore
Old April 13th, 2008, 2:28 am
Sixth Year

I just always loved it. I didn't watch it much due to not having cable at the time, but Sailor Moon would once in a while come on tv...I was too young then to really get into it, but i did like the art...But I have to give all the credit to the beloved Pokemon. I saw it one morning and I just loved the style from then on.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old April 13th, 2008, 7:45 pm
First Year

Pokemon? Like everyone my age. Once I got into Pokemon there was DBZ and Gundam. Oh man! Those were some fun times.

Anime is just in me now.

<3, Tigga.

Old April 16th, 2008, 11:52 pm
Fourth Year

I was channel surfing as usual when I happend upon Carttoon Network. I saw a bit of Gundam Wing and was hooked.

Old April 26th, 2008, 5:49 am
First Year

i used to watch the original transformers when i was really little, and then a few years ago i would watch the ones that came on Adult Swim at like 3 in the morning and i got really into Fullmetal Alchemist. I stopped watching for a couple years and then on New Years my best friend literally forced me to watch Bleach to the point where i couldnt stop. After that it was just one anime after another. then i started reading the accompanying mangas...

Old April 27th, 2008, 1:25 am
First Year

Hmmm... way back when the BBC actually had some variety. BBC2 used to have a sort of Manga/anime night on Friday nights... probably about 10 years ago now. Well, I should say morning, since they'd usually play them after midnight (often after Space Above and Beyond, but that only ran for one season I think) but that gave me my first introduction to the likes of Space Battleship Yamato, Gundam and a few other well known anime shows. I eventually discovered Akira and Studio Ghibli and that's that. I still consider myself a relative newby to anime though... there are a lot of famous titles I've yet to get around to watching.

Old May 1st, 2008, 1:36 pm
First Year

I got into anime when my older sister let me watch Inu-Yasha. It was a few years ago and it came on AdultSwim.

Old May 1st, 2008, 8:23 pm
First Year

My first were Pokemon and Digimon! Then, I really got into shoujo manga and watched a few anime series. Unfortunately, I have more access to manga and anime DVDs are sooo expensive so I don't watch it enough!

Old May 10th, 2008, 6:03 am
Fourth Year

The first anime I ever saw was Speed Racer, which I was addicted to as a child, but I wasn't aware that it was Japanese at the time, and I had never even heard of anime. After that I watched Pokemon, Digimon, and DBZ, but I was only vaguely aware that they were Japanese, and I still hadn't heard of anime. The first time I actually knew I was watching anime was probably either Inuyasha or Gundam Wing, but I can't remember clearly.
BTW, thanks for starting this thread, Artemis. It's brought back some fond memories that I haven't thought of for years.

Last edited by WitchHunter; May 10th, 2008 at 6:08 am.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:10 pm
First Year

The first time I remember seeing a real anime, was when my mum brought home Fruits Basket on DVD from our local library.

As I got older my mum told me when I was little I use to watch Sailor Moon. Then I realized I spent half my life watching Pokémon and Digimon.

So I guess I've been watching anime all my life.

Last edited by Hyper_Steph; July 21st, 2010 at 4:29 am.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:18 pm
Zonko's Employee

My boyfriend was watching Bleach and Nauruto at the time. I was bored over the summer holiday, and missing him, so I thought I'd try one of them, I was talking to Tenshi on MSN and she said to try Bleach, so I started that. I started watching Deathnote later the same year. I've seen a couple of episodes of Nauruto too but Nauruto himself really annoys me so I only ever see it when my boyfriend is watching an episode

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old May 26th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Fourth Year

Inuyasha I never watched Pokemon or Digimon 'cause when that was the big thing, my parents were mean about how much TV they'd let us watch, and they definitely wouldn't let me buy Pokemon cards and stuff, so I kinda got left out of that craze. Couple of years ago, I started reading manga, and then Lunara got me into Fruits Basket and Inuyasha, and 'cause I couldn't find any early Inuyasha chapters (bookshops around me only started stocking non-Tokyopop manga like, six months ago, and Inuyasha's translated by Viz, and back then I didn't know where to get scanlations, or even that you could) I started watching the anime on YouTube instead.
And then I watched Bleach and got involved in that fandom, and it sort of spiralled out of control...it's been less than two years, and I'm a complete otaku

Last edited by BabyWerewolf; May 26th, 2008 at 7:15 pm.
Old June 13th, 2008, 4:17 pm
Third Year

While I first watched Pokemon, I wouldn't count it because it was definitely part of the fad. That was in about, let's see, fifth grade I think. By the time I got to Middle School, I didn't have many friends but my brother and I were really close, so I hung out with him a lot. He watches a lot of anime. I don't know why, but I sat down with him one afternoon and I watched DBZ. It was a late episode in the series, the one where Gohan is teaching Goten to fly...From then on, it came a momentary obsession between the two of us and we own about a couple dozen DBZ/GT tapes, Yu Yu Hakusho DVDs, and Inuyasha manga books. And though its not longer an obsession, we both still watch it and its definitely still "our thing" to do together.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream."

~ Vincent Van Gogh

Unrequited love is the curse that hurts the most.

I am a proud Potter addict.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime