Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:17 am
Auror Emeritus

The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! The ever popular HBP Movie Thread has spawned its 6th Version. Enjoy!

Some clarification before we dive in again:

To clear things upAt this stage there isn't a lot of official information that can be discussed, so there is necessarily more vague speculation. However, this has to be on topic, which is in this case the upcoming HBP film. Off-topic chatter will be deleted. If you want to talk about something else entirely and get to know your fellow posters better, please have a look at the Pitchside: Half-Time Chat.

The last couple of posts:

Montse:    

I dont want to cut all that ...i want to see some good fighting parallel to the snape chase ...remember we had discussed this bit LC?
all the fighting can be shown at the same time without giving the spotlight to anyone,the camera follows the deatheaters or the DA until they reach the tower where DD and Harry are ...then the Snape chase where the camera will follow them...but everybody is fighting simoultaneously...

about the hand of glory...and the peruvian dust...it would all go black and we need to see ...so me thinks it wont be included...it would be cool ...but me doubts it...in the book you can read about it ...in the film you need to see,if you dont see...its confusing ...things that work for books might not work for films no matter how cool they are...

iamwood:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22
Well, I would like to see it ALL, but that's just my opinion.

So, Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder and Hand of Glory anyone???

Like I said, I believe this will depend on WWW Joke Shop and B & B.
If we get to see the DE battle, then Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder for sure. And geez, i feel slow, but can you refresh me on what the Hand of Glory is?

lcbaseball22:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath
Oh no! You cannot cut away from the cave scene.. That would just be.....no.

We don't really need all that, do we? The movies are never as detailed as the books...the story of the battle is simple: Death Eaters have invaded the castle through the cabinet thanks to Draco and the DA who were roused up by Ron and Hermione and Ginny thanks to Harry's warning before he left, help the Order of the Phoenix battle them and protect the castle.

That's all the film needs, doesn't it?
Well, I would like to see it ALL, but that's just my opinion.

So, Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder and Hand of Glory anyone???

Like I said, I believe this will depend on WWW Joke Shop and B & B.

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:20 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Re: The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

Yay! new thread! What's next to discuss? More chapters lc?

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!

Last edited by ArryGrotter; April 18th, 2008 at 11:24 am.
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:52 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
Yay! new thread! What's next to discuss? More chapters lc?
Version 6! yea, LC bring on the Lightning Struck Tower and Flight of The Prince

What an experience this has been for
us all.
Old April 18th, 2008, 1:04 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwood View Post
All right, but don't you think we've already discussed these Ad-Nauseum?

Well, you asked for it, so here it is:

Chapters 27 and 28

BTW, I was just joking and feel free to comment on the previous chapters...

If you wish to view the Previous Chapters you can find them here:

Ch. 1 and 2

Ch. 3 and 4

Ch. 5 and 6

Ch. 7 and 8

Ch. 9 and 10

Ch. 11 and 12

Ch. 13 and 14

Ch. 15 and 16

Ch. 17 and 18

Ch. 19 and 20

Ch. 21 and 22

Ch. 23 and 24

Ch. 25 and 26

27. The Lighting-Struck Tower (17 pg.)- 4 minutes

- Return to Hogsmeade and see Dark Mark
- Fly to the Top of Astronomy Tower while DD undoes the Enchantments
- DD “immobilizes” Harry and Draco “disarms” Dumbledore
- Draco and Dumbledore’s “chat”
- Four DE’s burst through the door
- Snape emerges
-Severus… please/Avada Kedavra!

28. Flight of the Prince (13 pg.)- 8 minutes

- Snape, Malfoy, and the DE’s flee
- The spell on Harry has lifted and he chases after them
- There is a “skirmish” in the castle and Snape shouts
Quote:
“It’s over, time to go!”
- Greyback attacks Harry
- Harry takes the concealed shortcut with the “vanishing step” to overtake the DE's and catch Snape
- The DE’s attack Hagrid and his Hut is set ablaze
- Harry and Snape face off

I love this dialogue:

Quote:
“Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter! sneered Snape, deflecting the curse once more.

And of course the reveal and the reason for the title of the book:

“You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them… I the Half Blood Prince! And you’d turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you?”
- Harry helps Hagrid extinguish the flames
- Everyone is in the grounds surrounding DD body
- Harry discovers the locket was fake and finds a note by R.A.B???

NOTE: This is ALSO an OUTLINE of the Book in addition to being an estimated TIMESTAMP for the Film!

Thoughts on WHAT should/will be INCLUDED and HOW you want these Chapters FILMED???

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 18th, 2008 at 2:03 pm.
Old April 18th, 2008, 1:12 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
All right, but don't you think we've already discussed these Ad-Nauseum?

Well maybe you and me have ...but maybe this guys havent had their opinion shared yet...

I am only going to add...i want the Finale to take its time...not to be rushed to have time for the death of DD to sink in and to make me cry ...
I know Rickman will be great ,and i hope Gambon will not be too strong in this part...DD was not stong in this part after the cave...i hope i can see the DD i Imagined....

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old April 18th, 2008, 1:38 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwood View Post
Hey guys, in addition to my Outline portion that I posted:
27. The Lighting-Struck Tower (17 pg.)- 4 minutes

- Return to Hogsmeade and see Dark Mark
- Fly to the Top of Astronomy Tower while DD undoes the Enchantments
- DD “immobilizes” Harry and Draco “disarms” Dumbledore
- Draco and Dumbledore’s “chat”
- Four DE’s burst through the door
- Snape emerges
-Severus… please/Avada Kedavra!

28. Flight of the Prince (13 pg.)- 8 minutes

- Snape, Malfoy, and the DE’s flee
- The spell on Harry has lifted and he chases after them
- There is a “skirmish” in the castle and Snape shouts
Quote:
“It’s over, time to go!”
- Greyback attacks Harry
- Harry takes the concealed shortcut with the “vanishing step” to overtake the DE's and catch Snape
- The DE’s attack Hagrid and his Hut is set ablaze
- Harry and Snape face off

I love this dialogue:

Quote:
“Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter! sneered Snape, deflecting the curse once more.

And of course the reveal and the reason for the title of the book:

“You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them… I the Half Blood Prince! And you’d turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you?”
- Harry helps Hagrid extinguish the flames
- Everyone is in the grounds surrounding DD body
- Harry discovers the locket was fake and finds a note by R.A.B???

I'm re-posting MasterOfDeath's "Question Lists" for these Chapters from the last thread as a Supplement.

Don't by shy to Answer any of these, we've already discussed them but I'll reply again even if no-one else cares to!

Lightning Struck Tower-
-How are they going to shoot the Lightning Struck Tower scene in regards to Harry under the cloak? In previous films shots of people under the cloaks were usually reserved for close-ups and POV shots looking out from the cloak. How will Harry figure into the scene?

-How will they explain Harry being under Dumbledore's binding spell? Will audience's question why Dumbledore suddenly stunned Harry? Will they wonder why Dumbledore did not let Harry protect him from under the cloak? In the book, Rowling describes everything but a movie can only describe in visuals. Will audiences be confused why Dumbledore stuns Harry?

-Will people question why the spell binding Harry in place is immediately lifted when Dumbledore dies? Should the point that when a person dies, their magic will stop working be referenced earlier in the movie? Perhaps Snape could teach us this in one of the DADA lessons earlier in the film?

- How would you want the scene shot? Would you want to see most of the scene from Harry's POV under the cloak? Would you want Harry to only be seen in the beginning of the scene and then the rest of the scene would proceed between Draco and Dumbledore as if Harry is not there? Or a mixture of both?

-How would you want Dumbledore to die? Blown back off the tower into an open arms pose before he falls like in the book? Would you want to the camera to follow him down? Would you want a far wide shot of Dumbledore falling off the tower? If not, how would you frame this shot?

(This last one is for LCbaseball )

-How long does this entire scene from Harry and Dumbledore landing on the tower to Dumbledore being killed need to be?

Flight of the Prince-
1. How much of the Battle of Hogwarts would you show? Would you go all out or would you want this battle to be more of a teaser to the bigger battle in DH? Keep in mind we won't be getting the next Battle of Hogwarts for nearly 3 years in DH part 2.

2. How would you balance shots of the battle with shots of Harry chasing Snape through the castle? Should Harry chasing Snape be the focus of the scene, or should the battle take center stage? Which should be the narrative drive of the scene?

3. How long do you think this scene needs to be?

4. What do you think of a free fall shot tumbling down through the room with a thousand stairwells as people are fighting on the steps and falling down, etc with the pictures screaming and running for cover, the camera twisting and falling all the way down to Harry chasing Snape through the entrance?

5. What skirmishes do you think should be kept in and which should be cut? It's been confirmed that Greyback will attack Harry as in the book. Do you think the bits where Harry is hit by spells from the other death eaters and takes out a few himself should be in the film?

6. How far along the grounds of Hogwarts will Harry chase Snape? Do you think Mark Day will edit this scene so that we are immediately far out from the grounds or will he keep the entire run? Will it be similar to how they filmed Harry chasing Bella in OOTP with the shaky hand held camera effect?

7. Will Hagrid and Hagrid's hut be in this scene? Will we see Hagrid's hut on fire with Fang trapped inside?

8. How long or extravagant will the Harry/Snape duel be? Should it be long and epic or just a quick Snape smack down? Which spells will they use against each other?

9. How will they pull off the Prince reveal? Will the audiences understand the Prince is Snape's mother's maiden name?

10. Would you want Buckbeak back in this scene?

11. How do you see them cutting the scene after Snape leaves? Do you think we need to see Harry telling Hagrid what happened?

12. How do you think Dan will pull off the scene where Harry is kneeling over Dumbledore's corpse at the bottom of the tower?

13. How are they going to explain the R.A.B fake locket thing? R.A.B has been confirmed for the movie.

14. What type of music do you imagine for this scene?

15. How about the cinematography, lightning and colors/tones?

16. How much of the dialog will be kept enact from this book?

17. How awesome is Alan Rickman going to be in this scene?

(Sorry I had to ask the last one...I get chills just thinking of him in this scene in my head...)

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 18th, 2008 at 2:09 pm.
Old April 18th, 2008, 3:09 pm
Snidget of Champions

I am going to go back to the comments on Chapters 25 and 26 before I discuss the Lightning Struck Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaceball22
Hmm, I'm still unsure which of these LotR creatures the Inferi should look similar to, I'm thinking the 2nd because it's more human like:
I would not base the Inferi on the King of the Undead in LotR. They are much more ghost-like, and Inferi are simply corpses. Thus, I would think they would make a couple of extras have white, rubbery skin (and blank eyes) and that would suffice. The key to Inferi is their resemblance to humans (since they are deceased humans). I do not think this would be too gruesome.
Quote:
Slightly off topic but what is the, "it has unique qualities" and "one wouldn't want to see it falling into the wrong hands" object discussed in Borgin and Burke's Deleted Scene from CoS?

Is it the Cursed Necklace???
I believe this is the diary, since the Malfoys were selling it (and they do not have the necklace, at least in the book). This would have been a lead up to Lucius trying to get rid of the object in Flourish and Blotts.
Quote:
Oh, and iamwood the Hand of Glory is in this scene as well:
Yes, but the Hand of Glory in the film was not the same thing as that in the book (it did not give light only to the holder - at least, we know nothing of it).

How are they going to shoot the Lightning Struck Tower scene in regards to Harry under the cloak? In previous films shots of people under the cloaks were usually reserved for close-ups and POV shots looking out from the cloak. How will Harry figure into the scene?

It will be a mixture between watching it from Harry's perspective and zooming in to see his reaction. However, this does not need to be done excessively, just enough to make sure the audience remembers Harry is there. I would definitely include Snape reaching the tower and looking around, and as he stares at the spot where Harry is the camera zooms into the Invisibility Cloak.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old April 18th, 2008, 4:25 pm
Winning Teamster

The problem is how they'll show that harry can't actually move under the cloak. They don't have a chance to show him stuck there in a wide shot, becaue he is invisible, and from his perspective that won't be clear, either.

I also can't see them make Harry sort of try to move, not moving while making distressed noises or something - that would be prety pathetic. So what will they do?

Dumbledore shouting the incantation won't tell most of the audience anything, either.

I really think that this is a very difficult scene to pull off, and it has to be done right, because the audience has to understand exactly why Harry isn't helping Dumbledore!

It wouldn't be good if we only found out what exactly happened once Harry manages to tell someone or (even worse) if Dumbledore told him in advance that in such a case he would immobilise him - or something....

I can't think of a solution for this - especially not one that goes by the crucial rule of 'show, don't tell'.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; April 18th, 2008 at 4:28 pm.
Old April 18th, 2008, 6:25 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I am going to go back to the comments on Chapters 25 and 26 before I discuss the Lightning Struck Tower.
Fine with me, I won't object

Now I suppose I'll comment on a few things:

Quote:

I would not base the Inferi on the King of the Undead in LotR. They are much more ghost-like, and Inferi are simply corpses. Thus, I would think they would make a couple of extras have white, rubbery skin (and blank eyes) and that would suffice. The key to Inferi is their resemblance to humans (since they are deceased humans). I do not think this would be too gruesome.
Ahh yes, well I agree and disagree, I suppose I should have posted what I said when we discussed the Inferi earlier, here it is:

Quote:
Ok, back to the Inferi (can you tell I'm really curious to see how these look?)

Maybe they should look like "The King of the Dead" from LOTR except obviously NOT Transparent but Solid as Loony pointed out

So, you see, I agree that they are ghost-like and we absolutly DO NOT want this for the Inferi, however, I believe a SOLID form of "King of the Dead" would be PERFECT for the with the decaying corpse and the "blank eyes". I think somewhere inbetween ZOMBIE and SKELETON

I'm still confused by the Book description though, again I'll post what I said earlier and ask for your comments:

Quote:
Here's that passage from the DADA class again:

Quote:
"The Inferius is a corpse that has been reanimated by a Dark wizard's spells. It is not alive, it is merely used like a puppet to do the wizard's bidding. A Ghost, as I trust you are all aware by now, is the imprint of a departed soul left upon the earth..."
Now according to Snape, Inferi has the same definition as Zombie:

How Stuff Works-
Quote:
Many movies and video games have used Romero's concept of zombies. For the most part, zombies are:

Newly dead corpses reanimated by radiation, chemicals, viruses, sorcery or acts of God
Wikipedia-
Quote:
A zombie is a reanimated corpse...

I don't think I neccessarily want simply Zombies, that's un-original and cliche. I envision something like the "Cursed Pirate" skeletons in PotC but with some pale white skin and blank eyeballs.

Again, here is "The Cave" passage with the description of the Inferi:

Quote:
A slimy white hand had gripped his wrist, and the creature to whom it belonged was pulling him, slowly, backward across the rock. The surface of the lake was no longer mirror-smooth; it was churning, and everywhere Harry looked, white heads and hands were emerging from the dark water, men and women and children with sunken, sightles eyes were moving toward the rock: an army of the dead rising from the black water...

...their bony hands clawing at its slippery surface, their blank, frosted eyes upon him, trailing waterlogged rags, sunken faces leering...

...but though gashes appeared in their sodden rags and their icy skin, they had no blood to spill: They walked on, unfeeling, their shrunken hands outstretched toward him, and as he backed away still farther, he felt arms enclose him from behind, thin, fleshless arms cold as death...

Quote:

I believe this is the diary, since the Malfoys were selling it (and they do not have the necklace, at least in the book). This would have been a lead up to Lucius trying to get rid of the object in Flourish and Blotts.

Yes, but the Hand of Glory in the film was not the same thing as that in the book (it did not give light only to the holder - at least, we know nothing of it).
Hmm, that's an interesting idea!

Oh, just a small correction, they were NOT selling it, in fact, Lucius says, "That particular item is not for sale" but it's NOT SHOWN

There's just thing I don't understand though, how would Borgin know about the Diary having "unique qualities"?

It's not like he was able to recognize it as a HORCRUX?

I suppose at the time though Kloves wasn't knowledgeable about Horcruxes so that's still a possiblity.

You're right the Hand of Glory in the film appears to be different, but it may still give light to the holder and we didn't find that out, I believe that we did know it's purpose in CoS right?

Anyways, that's kind-of getting off-topic, so....

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 18th, 2008 at 6:55 pm.
Old April 18th, 2008, 9:23 pm
Banned

I wonder how they'll create the inferi. I am really looking forward to that. I hope they make me jump out of my seat in the theater when I see them! I love scary movies and to have some scariness included in one of my all time favorite movies would be awsome! Who knows how they'll create them? They could probally animate them like they do for the dementors. It would be cool I think if they animated them to look like the mutants from I Am Legend. Or perhaps they'll use real people for in the water. All the more better for it to be real!

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
The problem is how they'll show that harry can't actually move under the cloak. They don't have a chance to show him stuck there in a wide shot, because he is invisible, and from his perspective that won't be clear, either.

I also can't see them make Harry sort of try to move, not moving while making distressed noises or something - that would be pretty pathetic. So what will they do?
Well i don't see why DD shouting out the incantation wont work...either inmovilus or petrificus totalus is fairly remembered i think...my students play harry potter at recess and this are some of the spells they remember and play about...and the ones hit with the spell...thye pretend to be petrified...so why wouldn't the casting of the spell work...making clear why Harry doesn't move...

I can see it difficult from the point of view that it would be obvious for the DE that Harry is there if he says it aloud...

But the other options you propose Kilo are IMO not even a possibility ...Harry struggling to move wouldn't work...it would look really lame...
I cant find a solution either at least one that convinces me...

Anyone?

surprisingly swishy
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Quote:
I'm re-posting MasterOfDeath's "Question Lists" for these Chapters from the last thread as a Supplement.
I am yet to answer these, so I'll give these a crack...

Lightning Struck Tower-
-How are they going to shoot the Lightning Struck Tower scene in regards to Harry under the cloak? In previous films shots of people under the cloaks were usually reserved for close-ups and POV shots looking out from the cloak. How will Harry figure into the scene?

Have some shots with Harry's POV under the cloak and some wide shots with no Harry (since he's invisible)

-How will they explain Harry being under Dumbledore's binding spell? Will audience's question why Dumbledore suddenly stunned Harry? Will they wonder why Dumbledore did not let Harry protect him from under the cloak? In the book, Rowling describes everything but a movie can only describe in visuals. Will audiences be confused why Dumbledore stuns Harry?

For showing it, they showed Perticalus (sp) totalus quite well enough in PS and OotP (the effects) for it to be shown with out the words. I think they may understand if it is shot right. This is a difficult question

-Will people question why the spell binding Harry in place is immediately lifted when Dumbledore dies? Should the point that when a person dies, their magic will stop working be referenced earlier in the movie? Perhaps Snape could teach us this in one of the DADA lessons earlier in the film?

Perhaps...

- How would you want the scene shot? Would you want to see most of the scene from Harry's POV under the cloak? Would you want Harry to only be seen in the beginning of the scene and then the rest of the scene would proceed between Draco and Dumbledore as if Harry is not there? Or a mixture of both?

MIxture, the audience should remember Harry is there.

-How would you want Dumbledore to die? Blown back off the tower into an open arms pose before he falls like in the book? Would you want to the camera to follow him down? Would you want a far wide shot of Dumbledore falling off the tower? If not, how would you frame this shot?

Camera following him is how I see this. Lasting about 5 seconds.

-How long does this entire scene from Harry and Dumbledore landing on the tower to Dumbledore being killed need to be?

5 minutes?

Flight of the Prince-
1. How much of the Battle of Hogwarts would you show? Would you go all out or would you want this battle to be more of a teaser to the bigger battle in DH? Keep in mind we won't be getting the next Battle of Hogwarts for nearly 3 years in DH part 2.

Show bits of it as Harry passes and don't show much if a flashback in Phoenix Lamnent (anticlimactic)

2. How would you balance shots of the battle with shots of Harry chasing Snape through the castle? Should Harry chasing Snape be the focus of the scene, or should the battle take center stage? Which should be the narrative drive of the scene?

Harry chasing focus, battle in background.

3. How long do you think this scene needs to be?

2-3 minutes

4. What do you think of a free fall shot tumbling down through the room with a thousand stairwells as people are fighting on the steps and falling down, etc with the pictures screaming and running for cover, the camera twisting and falling all the way down to Harry chasing Snape through the entrance?

Cool idea, but I kinda want the staircase fight in DH.

5. What skirmishes do you think should be kept in and which should be cut? It's been confirmed that Greyback will attack Harry as in the book. Do you think the bits where Harry is hit by spells from the other death eaters and takes out a few himself should be in the film?

The Greyback fight is at the Burrow. I think Harry's main focus is Snape, though I hope he stuns that Death Eater trying to kill Ginny.

6. How far along the grounds of Hogwarts will Harry chase Snape? Do you think Mark Day will edit this scene so that we are immediately far out from the grounds or will he keep the entire run? Will it be similar to how they filmed Harry chasing Bella in OOTP with the shaky hand held camera effect?

I don't think the shaky effect will be use as this is a STRONG scene. As for editing, who knows with Mark Day.

7. Will Hagrid and Hagrid's hut be in this scene? Will we see Hagrid's hut on fire with Fang trapped inside?

I kind of doubt it.

8. How long or extravagant will the Harry/Snape duel be? Should it be long and epic or just a quick Snape smack down? Which spells will they use against each other?

I doubt it will be too extravagant. Not a quick smack down either. Just stick to the book here and me happy.

9. How will they pull off the Prince reveal? Will the audiences understand the Prince is Snape's mother's maiden name?

Well I understood it in the book, and I think that Hermione should tell Harry afterwards, like in the book.

10. Would you want Buckbeak back in this scene?

No, Buckbeak was last seen flying towards the moon 3 movies ago. No.

11. How do you see them cutting the scene after Snape leaves? Do you think we need to see Harry telling Hagrid what happened?

Probably Not.

12. How do you think Dan will pull off the scene where Harry is kneeling over Dumbledore's corpse at the bottom of the tower?

OK, hopefully.

13. How are they going to explain the R.A.B fake locket thing? R.A.B has been confirmed for the movie.

With the note...

14. What type of music do you imagine for this scene?

One that won't disappoint me!

15. How about the cinematography, lightning and colors/tones?

Um...

16. How much of the dialog will be kept enact from this book?

Ask Steve Kloves...

17. How awesome is Alan Rickman going to be in this scene?
The awesomest he's been.

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:20 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
Well i don't see why DD shouting out the incantation wont work...either inmovilus or petrificus totalus is fairly remembered i think...my students play harry potter at recess and this are some of the spells they remember and play about...and the ones hit with the spell...thye pretend to be petrified...so why wouldn't the casting of the spell work...making clear why Harry doesn't move...

I can see it difficult from the point of view that it would be obvious for the DE that Harry is there if he says it aloud...

But the other options you propose Kilo are IMO not even a possibility ...Harry struggling to move wouldn't work...it would look really lame...
I cant find a solution either at least one that convinces me...

Anyone?

Yes, I agree, my suggestions were all bad - that'w why I am so curious what others will think....

But even the shouting out of the spell.... I think one could perhaps sort that out by having the tower empty when they arrive (isn't it in the book), and Dumbledore quickly shouting the spell when he hears Draco coming up the stairs.

The problem is that yes, many kids know 'petrificus totalus' - but not enough people in the audience will know it. They have to make this intelligible for non-readers, especially such a crucial point in a crucial scene.

The thing is even more complicated, because Harry is in theory already wearling the cloak when DD immobilises him, so we wouldn't even see the effect.

I wonder.... this isn't great, but it could be done like that: Harry and DD land on the tower, Harry for some reason isn't under the cloak - e.g. it slips when they land. They hear steps up the stairs. Harry turns towards the door and is about to draw his wand, when DD (shouts Harry and they look at each other? and) Dumbledore stuns Harry in a way to make him fall into a corner, then magically waves the cloak over him.

That way we see that Harry can't move, and we have a good idea of where he is. We might get some sort of a reminder if we get to see some parts of the scene from his POV (under the cloak - they've established the look for that).

Anyway - just as DD is making his last move to conceal Harry, Draco comes in and the rest of the scene runs like in the book.

I still don't like it, but that's the best I can think of so far. Any better ideas?

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
The problem is that yes, many kids know 'petrificus totalus' - but not enough people in the audience will know it. They have to make this intelligible for non-readers, especially such a crucial point in a crucial scene.
well...as i see it ,it could be the inmobilus one ...and that one is easily guessed what it does due to its similarity to the word inmobilize...and i think it could happen like you suggest that DD casts it before Draco appears on the scene ,it could be cast as he hears the footsteps on the stairs...

I would trust the people to understand Harry cant move if the spell is shouted and Harry doesn't do anything to prevent what he is witnessing

I think even movie goers know by know Harry cant avoid wanting to help others..so if he doesn't act ,they can infer he was inmobilized ..(.if they don't get the spell shouted was cast with this intention.)..I would avoid the DD part when he covers him cause that would be too much streched...

surprisingly swishy
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:39 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I wonder.... this isn't great, but it could be done like that: Harry and DD land on the tower, Harry for some reason isn't under the cloak - e.g. it slips when they land. They hear steps up the stairs. Harry turns towards the door and is about to draw his wand, when DD (shouts Harry and they look at each other? and) Dumbledore stuns Harry in a way to make him fall into a corner, then magically waves the cloak over him.
That's exactly what i was thinking of just now in fact, when i was catching up on old posts.

On the Infari, would you want pieces of skin and such missing, or just a perfect body? (that's directed to everybody).

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
On the Infari, would you want pieces of skin and such missing, or just a perfect body? (that's directed to everybody).
I never do see a perfect body when I picture them, so probably stuff missing.

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:46 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I am yet to answer these, so I'll give these a crack...

Lightning Struck Tower-

Have some shots with Harry's POV under the cloak and some wide shots with no Harry (since he's invisible)
I agree, that should work well!

Quote:

5 minutes?
Yeah, that sounds about right, considering Master directed this question at me I'll post what I said on the last thread:

Quote:
I would say 3 min. and certainly not more than 5.

There is about 7 pages of dialogue in the book once Harry is "frozen" and this can be condensed into a few minutes. Draco and DD's chat, although from what we've heard the "Vanishing Cabinet" will have already been seen and talked about!

Once Snape emerges it should be less than 15 sec.(Severus Please and Avada Kedavra) I DON'T want any dialogue added here or the shock will be lost I'm afraid!

Quote:

The Greyback fight is at the Burrow. I think Harry's main focus is Snape, though I hope he stuns that Death Eater trying to kill Ginny.
Actually, no offense ArryGrotter, but I believe the Greyback attack confimed IS during the "Skirmish"

Again, I'll re-post my response from the last thread when someone else brought this up:

Quote:
Actually, there is a brief scuffle with Harry and Fenrir in Flight of the Prince Chapter and I believe this is the "Battle" he is referring to:

Quote:
As Harry plunged after them, one of the fighters detached themselves from the fray and flew at him: It was the werewolf, Fenrir. He was on top of Harry before Harry could raise his wand: Harry fell backward, with filthy matted hair in his face, the stench of sweat and blood filling his nose and mouth, hot greedy breath at his throat-
"Petrificus Totalus!"
Harry felt Fenrir collapse against him; with a stupendous effort he pushed the werewolf off and onto the floor as a jet of green light came flying toward him ...
I know it's not much of a "battle" but maybe they will spice it up in the movie.

And when Dave Legeno says that "He is a lovely guy but let's just say he will have his hands full when I get hold of him", I think he is referring to how he jumps on Harry and then Harry has to muster all his strength to push him off!

But it could very well be the Burrow scene but there wasn't anything in the script leak from Phoenix unless that was only part of the scene?

Quote:

I doubt it will be too extravagant. Not a quick smack down either. Just stick to the book here and me happy.

Well I understood it in the book, and I think that Hermione should tell Harry afterwards, like in the book.
I AGREE, they should stick to the Book for both of these,
Quote:
EXACTLY as in the Book:

Harry tore past Hagrid and his opponent, took aim at Snape's back, and yelled, "Stupefy!"
He missed; the jet of red light soared past Snape's head; Snape shouted, "Run, Draco! and turned. Twenty yards apart, he and Harry looked at each other before raising their wands simultaneously.

"Cruc..."

But Snape parried the curse, knocking Harry backwar off his feet before he could complete it...

"Cruc..." yelled Harry for the second time, aiming for the figure ahead illuminating in the dancing firelight, but Snape blocked the spell again. Harry could see him sneering.

Quote:
"No Unforgivable Curses from you, Potter!"
"You haven't got the nerve or the ability..."
"Incarc..." Harry roared, but Snape deflected the spell with an almost lazy flick of his arm.

Quote:
"Fight back!" Harry screamed at him. "Fight back, you cowardly..."
Quote:
"Coward, did you call me, Potter?" shouted Snape. "Your father would never attack me unless it was four on one, what would you call him, I wonder?"
"Stupe..."

Quote:
"Impedi..."

But before he could finish this jinx, excruciating pain hit Harry; he keeled over in the grass. Someone was screaming, he would surely die of this agony, Snape was going to torture him to death or madness...

Quote:
"No!" roared Snape's voice and the pain stopped as suddenly as it had started; Harry lay curled in the dark grass, clutching his wand and panting; somewhere overhead Snape was shouting, "Have you forgotten our orders? Potter belongs to the Dark Lord... we are to leave him! Go! Go!"
Pushing himself to his feet again, he staggered blindly toward Snape, the man he now hated as much as he hated Voldemort himself...

"Sectum...!"

Snape flicked his wand and the curse was repelled yet again; but Harry was mere feet away now and he could see Snape's face clearly at last; He was no longer sneering or jeering; the blazing flames showed a face full of rage. Mustering all his powers of concentration, Harry though, Levi...

Quote:
"No, Potter!" screamed Snape.

Quote:
"Kill me then," panted Harry, who felt no fear at all, but only rage and contempt. "Kill me like you killed him, you coward..."
"DON'T..." screamed Snape...
"CALL ME COWARD!"
And he slashed the air: Harry felt a white-hot, whiplike something him hit across the face and was slammed backward into the ground.

Although there was an interesting suggestion, what do you think of this ArryGrotter?

Quote:
Charli2205 had an idea which I liked that omits the James notion:

Quote:
Snape: You dare use those spells against their creator?

Harry: You! YOU'RE THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE??!
She said having Harry guess it would be more epic, and I'd say I agree!

It would make it more concise and dramatic I think, the IRONY of Harry never in a million years believing it could be Snape

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 18th, 2008 at 11:53 pm.
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:03 am

Quote:
Actually, no offense ArryGrotter, but I believe the Greyback attack confimed IS during the "Skirmish"

Again, I'll re-post my response from the last thread when someone else brought this up:

Quote:
Actually, there is a brief scuffle with Harry and Fenrir in Flight of the Prince Chapter and I believe this is the "Battle" he is referring to:

Quote:
As Harry plunged after them, one of the fighters detached themselves from the fray and flew at him: It was the werewolf, Fenrir. He was on top of Harry before Harry could raise his wand: Harry fell backward, with filthy matted hair in his face, the stench of sweat and blood filling his nose and mouth, hot greedy breath at his throat-
"Petrificus Totalus!"
Harry felt Fenrir collapse against him; with a stupendous effort he pushed the werewolf off and onto the floor as a jet of green light came flying toward him ...
I know it's not much of a "battle" but maybe they will spice it up in the movie.

And when Dave Legeno says that "He is a lovely guy but let's just say he will have his hands full when I get hold of him", I think he is referring to how he jumps on Harry and then Harry has to muster all his strength to push him off!

But it could very well be the Burrow scene but there wasn't anything in the script leak from Phoenix unless that was only part of the scene?
I forgot about that, but I thought I read a Greyback attack scene in the leaked script. Maybe not...

Quote:
Although there was an interesting suggestion, what do you think of this ArryGrotter?
Quote:
Charli2205 had an idea which I liked that omits the James notion:

Quote:
Snape: You dare use those spells against their creator?

Harry: You! YOU'RE THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE??!

She said having Harry guess it would be more epic, and I'd say I agree!

It would make it more concise and dramatic I think, the IRONY of Harry never in a million years believing it could be Snape
No, I want to see the shocked look on Harry's face as SNAPE says it.
And BTW, what's the James notion?

Last edited by ArryGrotter; April 19th, 2008 at 12:07 am.
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:15 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I never do see a perfect body when I picture them, so probably stuff missing.
Yeah, that would be cool. Not huge, massive chunks, but bits here and there.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:22 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:

No, I want to see the shocked look on Harry's face as SNAPE says it.
And BTW, what's the James notion?
Fair enough, ok sorry, I forgot to explain the James notion, here it is (underlined):

Quote:
My point is, this part would NOT MAKE SENSE,

because in OotP SWM he didn't use LEVICORPUS or the Prince's Spells, he used something that sounded like Imperimento or whatever

I don't know, just an observation

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 19th, 2008 at 12:26 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives