Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

Old April 19th, 2008, 7:01 am
Fifth Year

Re: The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

I don't even know if she is described...she's kind of this faceless entity that's too busy sucking face with ron or gossiping with parvati to actually have a real personality or appearance. she seems to go along with what parvati says/does.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2008, 7:04 am
Secret Keeper

In PoA this was the girl credited as Lavender:

So my question, is Lavender Brown ever said to be Caucasian (white) or African American (black) and what color hair does she have?

Because for HBP they've recast and we have Jessie Cave:

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 19th, 2008 at 7:12 am.
Old April 19th, 2008, 7:06 am
Fifth Year

i can't remember any actual description, but for some reason i've always imagined her as african american (british? i don't know what the PC term is for that...)

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old April 19th, 2008, 7:31 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

THere is NO description of lavender, though I've always picture something close to Jessie Cave

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old April 19th, 2008, 7:33 am
Zonko's Employee

Me too. I've always pictured a thin, soft, gentle girly girl with long brown hair.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old April 19th, 2008, 7:37 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
THere is NO description of lavender, though I've always picture something close to Jessie Cave
Yeah, I'm glad they have recast, I imagined her as a "dumb blonde" so this better than girl in PoA

Besides, Jessie Cave looks pretty hot and she's 20 yrs. old so I can actually say that without feeling guilty

Old April 19th, 2008, 7:39 am
Fourth Year

I always pictured Lavender as one of the pretty popular girls who hung with Parvati because they always seem described by Rowling as the popular ones while Harry and company are the in-the-middle types - they have their moments of popularity but they're also considered outcasts but they're not completely loners. I think Jessie Cave is the right type, but I pictured darker hair and maybe a more diva appearance. More like the witchy girl from the remake of A Little Princess who always has some girl brush her hair. She had the diva thing going on, and that's always more impressive when the girl is dark-haired.

Didn't I tell you all Severus was good and that he and Lily were friends???!!!
Alan Rickman is my God.
http://www.analyzing-the-evidence.blogspot.com/
Old April 19th, 2008, 7:51 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbashful18 View Post
I always pictured Lavender as one of the pretty popular girls who hung with Parvati because they always seem described by Rowling as the popular ones while Harry and company are the in-the-middle types - they have their moments of popularity but they're also considered outcasts but they're not completely loners. I think Jessie Cave is the right type, but I pictured darker hair and maybe a more diva appearance. More like the witchy girl from the remake of A Little Princess who always has some girl brush her hair. She had the diva thing going on, and that's always more impressive when the girl is dark-haired.
Or the girls from "Mean Girls"

God, this was a TERRIBLE movie, I was forced to watch it for a college class, and it was living HELL!!!

Old April 19th, 2008, 7:54 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer:

How is Lavender Brown described, appearance?

I haven't been able to find much description in HBP and I looked at Lexicon and HP Wiki, nothing
Lavender Brown was never given a description in the books - not even in HBP when she was dating Ron. I always found that rather odd actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Yeah, I'm glad they have recast, I imagined her as a "dumb blonde" so this better than girl in PoA

Besides, Jessie Cave looks pretty hot and she's 20 yrs. old so I can actually say that without feeling guilty
The girl from POA was basically an extra who was given a name from the books. She didn't even have any lines as far as I know.

I always pictured Lavender as somewhat of a ditzy blonde as well - no offense intended to any blondes! That's just what popped into my head with Harry noting things like her curling her eyelashes with her wand. Jessie Cave is really close to how I pictured her actually - I picture her more "made up" though. Perfect hair and make-up, etc... She should look like she spends hours on her appearance every day, IMO.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old April 19th, 2008, 12:04 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
I always pictured Lavender as somewhat of a ditzy blonde as well - no offense intended to any blondes
Me too,probably because its kind of stereo typed that gigly girls always turn out to be blonds in the movies...shrugs...I think Jessie Cave will be great and she will definetly be something for movie Hermione to worry about...not that an afro american type would not could have done that...but i do find Jessie cave very suitting for the role...

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:09 pm
Fourth Year

Does anyone know why they've cast Regulus Black for HBP? He's not in the book at all; we only see him in DH. I knew they were creating a new scence for HBP, but I didn't think it had to do with the past. I thought it had to do with the wizarding world being at war. If Regulus is in the movie, what part? Surely we won't find out about Kreacher's tale until DH, right? It's probably already explained and I'm just out of the loop. I don't follow this as closely as I used to since the DH release. And if no one knows why he's in the movie yet, perhaps some of you could speculate for me, because I have no clue where they would fit him in.

Old April 19th, 2008, 12:14 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDonna View Post
Does anyone know why they've cast Regulus Black for HBP? He's not in the book at all; we only see him in DH. I knew they were creating a new scence for HBP, but I didn't think it had to do with the past. I thought it had to do with the wizarding world being at war. If Regulus is in the movie, what part? Surely we won't find out about Kreacher's tale until DH, right? It's probably already explained and I'm just out of the loop. I don't follow this as closely as I used to since the DH release. And if no one knows why he's in the movie yet, perhaps some of you could speculate for me, because I have no clue where they would fit him in.
I understand he is going to appear in a photograph at slughorns...probably to give some sense to the locket paper...

Thats what i understand it going to be about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseelf25 View Post
mhm. actually, that's kind of what i said after reading the book
I know...i do find it similar in a way ...thats why i posted the comparison...For which i arleady have begged your forgiveness

surprisingly swishy

Last edited by Montse; April 19th, 2008 at 12:58 pm.
Old April 19th, 2008, 5:25 pm
Snidget of Champions

Perhaps the Jessie Cave as Lavender Brown discussion should be directed to Jessie Cave as Lavender Brown.

I apologize for going a couple of pages back (I cannot seem to keep up with this thread).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl
Anyways I thought about what the Inferni might look like for a while and I kind of just imagine them to look like regular humans, but just dead and floating around to kill you. Freaky...I know, but that's how I see it now.
This is how I picture Inferi. Pale (almost white), with oily, rubbery skin. Otherwise, they are the same as the living (but with blank eyes and the necessary touch-ups). I do not think the Inferi should appear like zombies. Instead, make it seem as if the cave's lake was a giant pickling solution, in which the Inferi were kept to be preserved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath
Will the audience question the logic of Voldemort assigning the seemingly impossible task of killing Dumbledore, easily the greatest, most powerful, formidable wizard of the century, a man even Voldemort fears, someone not even the dark lord can defeat to a 16 year old kid?
Of course the audience will doubt it, but it will be resolved at the Lightning Struck Tower. Dumbledore should tell Draco in this scene that Voldemort only assigned Draco this mission, hoping it would kill Draco (because of Lucius's mistake at the Ministry). This part should be included in the film:
HBP, The Lightning-Struck Tower, Ch. 27, Page 592, American, HB"Nobody would be surprised that you had died in your attempt to kill me - forgive me, but Lord Voldemort probably expects it....Come over to the right side, Draco...you are not a killer..."
"But I got this far, didn't I?" he said slowly. "They thought I'd die in the attempt, bt I'm here...and you're in my power...I'm the one with the wand...You're at my mercy..."
"No, Draco," said Dumbledore quietly. "It is my mercy, and not yours, that matters now."
Harry thought he saw [Draco's wand] drop by a fraction -

This passage is one of the key elements of the scene, and it will assuage the audience's skepticism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971
I think that will depend on how they present it in Spinner's End. That's where we learn that Draco being given the assignment was punishment for Lucius' mistakes. That was Narcissa's fear and why she went to Snape for help.
I do not think Draco's name (or any Malfoys) should be mentioned in Spinner's End, since it adds more mystery behind Snape's Unbreakable Vow. The audience should be just as ignorant as Harry is, merely guessing (like Harry) that Draco is trying to kill Dumbledore. However, merely have Narcissa (whose name [at least, surname] will not be revealed) say, "Will you, Severus, watch over my son as he attempts to fulfill the Dark Lord's wishes?"

The audience will possibly assume she is referring to Draco (especially after Harry starts suspecting him), but they should not be certain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter
I haven't given much thought into The Phoenix Lament, but it must be a good score!
I would prefer the score to mimic a phoenix's song - more specifically, Fawkes. This means no obvious orchestral presence. Instead, the score for The Phoenix Lament should be a bird's song (but the most beautiful, sorrowful, and fulfilling song you have heard from a bird).

As for the White Tomb, I would keep everything except the centaurs, merfolk (there is no flashback that fits, like there was in the book), and Scrimgeour (though I would like the "Dumbledore's man through and through" line to be included). Of course, the ceremony will be severely shortened, with the eulogy in the background as the camera concentrates on Harry's face.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old April 19th, 2008, 9:55 pm
Second Year

Is the african-american Lavender wearing a ravenclaw robe? That can't be her then. She's always been a Gryffindor. In CoS the trio have many classes with her, i believe, which means she's a Gryffindor. So basically Cuaron screwd overlooked that. Oh well, I honestly didnt remember Lavender having ever been in any other HP films, and i doubt the general audience will be like "hey she's white, that's not right!" when they see Lavender

What an experience this has been for
us all.
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwood View Post
Is the african-american Lavender wearing a ravenclaw robe? That can't be her then. She's always been a Gryffindor. In CoS the trio have many classes with her, i believe, which means she's a Gryffindor. So basically Cuaron screwd overlooked that. Oh well, I honestly didnt remember Lavender having ever been in any other HP films, and i doubt the general audience will be like "hey she's white, that's not right!" when they see Lavender
I don't ever remember JKR including in her storys what color skin her charectors have. I do remember though Lavender being in classes witht the trio, but that doesn't nessecarily mean that she's a Gryfindor. I do actually think that she is a Gryfindor though.

Old April 20th, 2008, 12:10 am
Zonko's Employee

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone November 16, 2001 Chris Columbus 152 min. $976,475,550
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets November 15, 2002 161 min. $878,988,482
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban May 31, 2004 Alfonso Cuarón 142 min. $795,541,069
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire November 18, 2005 Mike Newell 157 min. $896,016,159
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix July 11, 2007 David Yates 138 min.

Check this out from wikipedia. I found it interesting that the films released in the fall (November) were always longer than the ones released in the spring and especially the summer with POA and OOTP being the shortest films.

I also thought of something. This is our first time since COS that we are getting a returning directer. It gives some comfort to the fact that we know what to expect in terms of style so there won't be much different expectation.... I think this film, HBP, will be harder to disappoint since we know pretty much what to expect. The only question is will Yates improve. With Kloves back and a new DOP, I'm pretty sure he will. As long as Mark Day learned his lesson: TV and Film are two different beasts!

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old April 20th, 2008, 1:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I do not think the Infieri should appear like zombies. Instead, make it seem as if the cave's lake was a giant pickling solution, in which the Infieri were kept to be preserved.
Perhaps you can enlighten us with another view...to you ...what´s the difference between a zombie and an infieri?
Quote:
I would prefer the score to mimic a phoenix's song - more specifically, Fawkes. This means no obvious orchestral presence. Instead, the score for The Phoenix Lament should be a bird's song (but the most beautiful, sorrowful, and fulfilling song you have heard from a bird).
I had honestly not thought of it like this...it would be great if they did it like this ...instead of a score...a song from the phoenix,a sad cry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwood View Post
no there is a clip of her here and she is wearin a gryffindor robe

surprisingly swishy
Old April 20th, 2008, 1:45 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I also thought of something. This is our first time since COS that we are getting a returning directer. It gives some comfort to the fact that we know what to expect in terms of style so there won't be much different expectation.... I think this film, HBP, will be harder to disappoint since we know pretty much what to expect. The only question is will Yates improve. With Kloves back and a new DOP, I'm pretty sure he will. As long as Mark Day learned his lesson: TV and Film are two different beasts!
yay! your optimism's back!

Quote:
that sounds really neat, but how would they go about recording that? i mean, there might be some really good synthesizer or something like that, but that's the only thing i can think of that would make that kind of sound. i guess it's open to interpretation since it's a mythological creature, though...

Old April 20th, 2008, 3:30 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
This is how I picture Inferi. Pale (almost white), with oily, rubbery skin. Otherwise, they are the same as the living (but with blank eyes and the necessary touch-ups). I do not think the Inferi should appear like zombies. Instead, make it seem as if the cave's lake was a giant pickling solution, in which the Inferi were kept to be preserved.
I find this idea quite interesting, actually.

Aren't inferi simply corpses tat a dark wizard revives somehow magically to do his bidding when he needs them?

This migth mean that they don't have a defined 'look' - but raher that their looks depends on what happened to them after they died.

In which case the inferi in the water should probably look like bodies that have long been in water... and I'd say that the description above <shudder> pretty much fits the picture of that.....

I think that both version of undead people in the LotR films (dead marshes and paths of the dead) don't quite work for me... I think they look too supernatural. To me the nasty thing about an inferius is that it is just a dead body used to do a job.... no glamour, no bangs and whistles. That's how I imagine it.... no gostly light or supernatural appearance. Just bodies mindlessly doing their job. That would express how nasty and demeaning it is to do this with a dead body. <argh>

The concept would be even clearer if they just grabbed Harry and DD or the boat without even looking - just automatically guided like by remote control, in a way....

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 20th, 2008, 4:27 am
Banned

Does anyone know if the woman who plays Nymphodora Tonks is comming back for HBP to play Tonks again? Or is it going to be someone else?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives