Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

The Gaunt Family

Old June 19th, 2008, 5:16 pm
Secret Keeper

The Gaunt Family

I only just remembered to check the Suggestion thread from Legillemency Studies about this thread, so here it is. We don't really know much about the Gaunt family, just that they're descendants of Slytherin and the second Perevell brother and the three last Gaunts.

Starter Questions:

1. Did the Gaunts have any living relatives? They said they married their cousins but are they related to other pure blood families like the Blacks, the Malfoys, the Weasleys, the Lestranges, etc.?

2. What were family relations like? (Merope and Morfin, Marvolo and his kids)

3. What happened to Mrs. Gaunt?

4. Were Merope and Morfin homeschooled?

5. What were the conditions of the family like? (living, money, etc.)

Discuss

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2008, 5:53 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: The Gaunt Family

Quote:
1. Did the Gaunts have any living relatives? They said they married their cousins but are they related to other pure blood families like the Blacks, the Malfoys, the Weasleys, the Lestranges, etc.?
The pureblood families are all interconnected. However, the Gaunts would most likely be more distantly connected to those families since they did have a custom of marrying their blood relatives (descendants of Slytherin).
Quote:
The only scene we see of the Gaunt family is telling enough. Marvolo despised his daughter, Merope, and liked Morfin only a little more. He enjoyed his two remaining heirlooms more than he did Merope and just as much as Morfin. Clearly family relations were not dear if Marvolo cherished his family heirlooms more than his children.

Morfin's and Merope's relationship is hardly the traditional one between brother and sister. Certainly they get into their feuds, but Morfin seems to have inherited his father's dislike for Merope. Morfin did not care about her any more than he did Tom Riddle Sr. He tattled on Merope (which could have severely injured her, if not for Bob Ogden) and enjoyed watching her suffering no less than the Muggle he attacked.

Morfin seemed to respect Marvolo, but I believe he did so contemptuously, and only so he could inherit the Slytherin heirlooms.
Quote:
We can only speculate, though I do not think it beyond possibility that Marvolo killed her. After seeing Marvolo mistreat Merope, I believe he saw some of her mother in her, which is a main reason for his hate of Merope.

Since Merope died giving birth, I also think it is possible that that is how Mrs. Gaunt died. This would only add to Marvolo's delirium, since he would see that as a sign of weakness, and he treated Merope as if she were her "weak" mother.
Quote:
I highly doubt they attended Hogwarts or Durmstrang. Marvolo despised and belittled all other humans, for he thought he was the best human alive, since he was Salazar Slytherin's descendant. He would not send his children off to school, like any "common" wizard. He was above that.

Thus, I think Marvolo "home schooled" his children, though he was not a successful teacher (and he would clearly be biased in his lessons and with what magic he taught).
Quote:
Dumbledore answers this. The Gaunts were left in squalor, with all of Slytherin's riches having been squandered before Marvolo was born. Marvolo had only two things of value (in his mind): Slytherin's locket and Peverell's ring.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 19th, 2008, 6:19 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I'm sure they did, just very distant cousins, probably. Clearly, the Potters were cousins of the Gaunts, both lines having descended from siblings.

Quote:
I think Bob Ogden's memory clearly illustrates the family relations.

Quote:
I have no idea.

Quote:
I don't know. I certainly can't imagine Marvolo sending them to a Muggle school until they were of age for Hogwarts.

I also doubt they went to Hogwarts. I'm sure Dumbledore would have done at least a cursory search of school records for past students named "Tom Riddle" or "Marvolo", as a courtesy to young TMR, to see if he had identifiable magic roots. That implies Marvolo didn't go to Hogwarts and if his children had, he would be listed on their records.

I can't imagine Marvolo taught them much, himself. Perhaps Mrs. Gaunt did. Or, perhaps Morfin and Merope went to some other school (legacys at Durmstrang, maybe?)

Quote:
Squalid.

Old June 19th, 2008, 6:44 pm
Always Indy's Girl

I think they must be related to almost all the pure bloods in the WW; but they probably thought themselves superior because they were directly descended from Slytherin.

Very poor! The daughter was thought of as useless and the son was clearly preferred. The daughter would get beaten or shouted at for breathing, while the son would probably get away with anything. Not a united or a loving family IMO.

She probably died of a lack of everything. But I wonder if she was as deranged as Morvolo Guant, from a pureblood family, but so inbred that she too was alsmost insane; or was she a nice girl, who married for love and suffered until she thankfully died?

Morfin, I think so. Homeschooled in the sense that old Morvolo would have taught him all that he knew; Merope, I think she learned what she knew on her own or perhaps her mother taught her before she died. I don't know if Morvolo would teach her.

Very poor. They were lacking in almost everything IMO. I don't know what work Morvolo did and how he took care of their basic needs; because it looks like even their basic needs were not met always IMO.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old June 19th, 2008, 7:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Thus, I think Marvolo "home schooled" his children, though he was not a successful teacher (and he would clearly be biased in his lessons and with what magic he taught).

Quote:

Dumbledore answers this. The Gaunts were left in squalor, with all of Slytherin's riches having been squandered before Marvolo was born. Marvolo had only two things of value (in his mind): Slytherin's locket and Peverell's ring.
Number 5 is pretty much answered by Mrsleepyhead here, now about number four and the homeschooling theory.I think it is the most possible thing we can assume.
I don´t think Marvolo would have sent his children to hogwarts.He strikes me as those persons who think outside inlfuence wont reach his own standards.

I dont believe he would have been a good teacher,he seemed too harsh and enjoyed humiliating his daughter. Nevertheless he seemed to have taught the basics effectively. At least intoduced them to magic. I think , with Merope , he did not continue becasue he thought she was a squib.

I dont think his approach was the best also. Proof is that when Merope saw herself delivered from that burden,she was able to perform magic like a normal witch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
What were family relations like? (Merope and Morfin, Marvolo and his kids)

Very poor! The daughter was thought of as useless and the son was clearly preferred. The daughter would get beaten or shouted at for breathing, while the son would probably get away with anything. Not a united or a loving family IMO.
IMO,the Gaunts lacked love from generations behind.This was an inheritance passed on to Riddle by genetics. From what we learn about Marvolo, Merope, and Morfin, love was not found in that home. Just Pride and arrogance.

Merope and her so called love for Tom Senior ,strikes me as that infatuation Voldemort says Snape had for Lily. I dont think it was love.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 19th, 2008, 9:08 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivetHedge View Post
Squalid.
and Tonks said SHE was bad at home cleaning spells.

it could have been a nice home. a Turgio here, another Turgio there because i can't remember the other cleaning spells.

"There is a room in the Department of Mysteries," interrupted Dumbledore, "that is kept locked at all times. It contains a Force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than Death, than human intelligence, than Forces of Nature. It is also perhaps the most mysterious of the many subjects for study that reside there. It is the Power held within that room that you possess in such quantities, and which Voldemort has not at all."

LASIK Decision.com ~ About the Transition from Potter Reader to Potter Listener
Old June 19th, 2008, 9:17 pm
I want to believe

I'm sure there are ties with one or more of those other families, since all the pureblood families are interrelated if you look back far enough.

Strained, I assume, judging from the small glimpses we were afforded in HBP. The most apt word I can come up with to describe this family is 'dysfunctional' - and abusive for Merope. The children feared Marvolo, I think, and didn't seem to like one another very much (this is especially true of Morfin's regard for Merope).

Good question. I'd say she either died, left, or was abandoned by Marvolo.

Probably, if they were even taught at all, except for their family history. I'll bet that was the only subject he taught at length. I'd have to agree that it's unlikely for Marvolo to have taught Merope.

I'd have to echo PrivetHedge on this one: squalid.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old June 19th, 2008, 9:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
What happened to Mrs. Gaunt?
Good question. I'd say she either died, left, or was abandoned by Marvolo.
she probably died, but I assume she was as nice as Mrs. Black.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 19th, 2008, 9:48 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

Marvolo probably strangled her to death with the locket

Old June 19th, 2008, 11:30 pm
Secret Keeper

If it was about anyone else, i would find it amusing, but i wouldn't put it past Marvolo

Well, I think i'll voice my opinions now.

They're definitely related, but probably far more distantly than most pure blood families. I'm thinking that most of the Slytherin descendants married with their cousins but a few had to have branched off a bit. It doesn't have to be like Merope, but there have to be a few cases.

Marvolo probably loved the heirlooms more than his children. I doubt Morfin really loved Marvolo and simply wanted the heirlooms. As for Merope, she was obviously constantly bullied and growing up in those conditions she obviously didn't feel anything for her father and brother.

I have absolutely no idea. She could've died giving birth to Merope, ran away, or Marvolo could've killed her. I personally think the first two are the most possible. she was probably just as crazy as Marvolo and ran away or the bad conditions at their home could've affected Merope's birth's aftereffects too. I wouldn't put it past Morfin to kill her, but I can't think of a really good reason why he would

Most likely. Marvolo probably wouldn't want to have Slytherin's descendants mingling with "Mudblood filth". He probably wasn't a good teacher either, except for maybe the Dark Arts. As for Merope, he thought she was almost a Squib, so I doubt he taught her much.

I asked this because it doesn't seem like witches and wizards buy certain Muggle things but besides the fact that they were poor....

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Last edited by Voldemorts8thHorcrux; June 20th, 2008 at 3:13 pm.
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:32 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I have absolutely no idea. She could've died giving birth to Merope, ran away, or Morfin could've killed her. I personally think the first two are the most possible. she was probably just as crazy as Marvolo and ran away or the bad conditions at their home could've affected Merope's birth's aftereffects too. I wouldn't put it past Morfin to kill her, but I can't think of a really good reason why he would
Actually, this makes me wonder if Merope was the first person in her family to try to get a spouse by unconventional means--it's possible that Marvolo somehow forced some unsuspecting witch into marriage, by a love potion, an imperius curse, or some other coercive method. (after all, Marvolo was not quite a particulary desireable husband, I would think--so how did he get someone to marry him?) If so, said witch may have indeed run away if she was able to break out at some point. This could also be a reason for Marvolo to hate Merope so much, if she resembles her mother who left him. Maybe her mother's "courtship" was what inspired Merope to try a love potion with Tom Riddle.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:40 am
Second Year

Probably somewhere along the lines. Harry was distantly related to them through the Perevell brothers.

Marvolo loved his heirlooms more then his kids, IMO. Though of his two children Morfin was the preferred child.

Either ran away for Marvolo killed her.

ITA with Marvolo homeschooling them. Believed he was better then the rest.

Worst off then those barely passing by with money.

Pottermore name: AshJinx7349
Old June 20th, 2008, 2:11 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux
I have absolutely no idea. She could've died giving birth to Merope, ran away, or Morfin could've killed her.
I believe it would be more likely for Marvolo to have killed her than Morfin (especially since I think she died soon after Merope was born - whether during childbirth, when she did not produce a male, or because she began to act weaker/more emotional). Marvolo certainly seems to despise emotion, so if his wife began to become more so, he would most likely try to put a stop to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda
Actually, this makes me wonder if Merope was the first person in her family to try to get a spouse by unconventional means--it's possible that Marvolo somehow forced some unsuspecting witch into marriage, by a love potion, an imperius curse, or some other coercive method. (after all, Marvolo was not quite a particulary desireable husband, I would think--so how did he get someone to marry him?)
I do not think that is as plausible as other theories. Marvolo was one of the proudest men we will ever read of, so having to force someone to marry him would be despicable for him. No, I believe Mrs. Gaunt was another descendant of Slytherin, so it was almost a prearranged marriage - they were both too proud to marry anyone whose heritage was less than their own.

Again, I think it is most likely that Mrs. Gaunt died giving birth to Merope. It would explain why Marvolo hated Merope so much. Merope demonstrated weakness and timidness that seemed to truly outrage Marvolo. I think he connected this weakness to her mother's death during childbirth (Tom Riddle considered Merope weak for dying giving birth).
Of course, it could also be that Mrs. Gaunt was the one exception to Marvolo's hate of humans (possibly being a Slytherin descendant herself, since they all intermarried). Thus, Marvolo would blame Merope for bringing about the death of his beloved wife.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 20th, 2008, 3:13 pm
Secret Keeper

Oh sorry, I meant Marvolo could've killed her. I keep getting the two mixed up , I'll go edit that

My Deviantart Account

Old June 21st, 2008, 1:40 am
Third Year

1. Did the Gaunts have any living relatives? They said they married their cousins but are they related to other pure blood families like the Blacks, the Malfoys, the Weasleys, the Lestranges, etc.? They probaly had a few distantly related relatives that were alive.

2. What were family relations like? (Merope and Morfin, Marvolo and his kids) From what we saw they seemed pretty sad. The daughter was veiwed as stupid, useless, and worthless while the son was highly valued.

3. What happened to Mrs. Gaunt? She probaly died or left.

4. Were Merope and Morfin homeschooled? I never thought they went to Hogwarts. If they went to school at all I always saw them going to Durmstrang (at least the son did).

5. What were the conditions of the family like? (living, money, etc.) They seemed extremely poor and lived in a very unclean house. Money was obviously tight.

Old June 21st, 2008, 2:11 am
First Year

imo they were related to all the pureblod families as they are all so inbred. However, they were the only direct descendents of Slytherin so they would have married brothers/sisters etc. but probably once or twice there wouldbe an extra who would have been married off for the family's gain.

Marvolo was a pretty angry person, I think having to live in squalor and being the heir of Slytherin was repulsive ot him, but he was too proud to go and get a job. Merope and Morfin would have been brought up on this, and as Marvolo persecuted Merope from an early age her magic was probably suppressed, as women aren't weaker than men in magic only physically, I think Marvolo was aware of that and took a very muggle approach to keep her under control.

Died most likely in childbirth I think - and it may be some sort of hereditary thing considering Merope's death. Or she may have left Marvolo, as Marvolo obviously wanted to run the household and being brought up as an heir of Slytherin may have made her angry in having to submit to Marvolo and thus she may have run away, but imo death is the best option.

Yes, too many mudbloods and blood traitors at Hogwarts.

They lost all of their money a few generations before according to the canon. So their living conditions were pretty bad, probably lived mainly off magic perhaps used parseltongue to kill and eat snakes (i'm judging this from the snake on their front door) they could have cleaned it up, but I think being so inbred and also so proud they probably thought they should have a house elf or something similar - Merope was forced to do the bare minimum.

Last edited by Opaleye_Draco; June 21st, 2008 at 3:43 am.
Old June 21st, 2008, 2:37 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFluerDelacourx
The daughter was veiwed as stupid, useless, and worthless while the son was highly valued.
I would not say that Morfin was highly valued. He was tolerated and appreciated, largely because he would be the successor and appeared to respect Marvolo, to an extent. However, I think that, if posed the decision, Marvolo would choose any of his highly valued heirlooms over Morfin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaleye_Draco
They lost all of their money gambling a few generations before according to the canon.
I do not think they gambled the money away. They simply spent it all. As Slytherin's only remaining descendants, the Gaunts and their Slytherin relatives would have lived a "superior" life and flaunted their wealth and heritage. However, the combination of boastfulness and stupidity led to poverty (in every sense).

WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 21st, 2008, 3:43 am
First Year

Sorry, I just said that from memory... I 'll edit that.

Old June 21st, 2008, 3:56 am
Banned

Just a small point that nags at me.

Marvolo was proud of being descended from Salazar Slytherin. Why wouldn't he want to go (I assume he himself didn't attend) to Hogwarts? He'd have been top honcho in Slytherin House, being the Heir of Slytherin.

And why didn't he send his children there? They'd have been a lot better housed and fed than staying in that dilapidated shack.

I find it curious that it took another generation, for someone (a Half-Blood at that) to claim the title "Heir of Slytherin".

Old June 21st, 2008, 4:07 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
Just a small point that nags at me.

Marvolo was proud of being descended from Salazar Slytherin. Why wouldn't he want to go (I assume he himself didn't attend) to Hogwarts? He'd have been top honcho in Slytherin House, being the Heir of Slytherin.

And why didn't he send his children there? They'd have been a lot better housed and fed than staying in that dilapidated shack.
Those are really good points to bring up. I wonder if Marvolo was arrogant and didn't want the teachers at Hogwarts telling his kids what to do. It would be a "my kids are too good for that riffraff" kind of attitude.

Just a thought. I think it was the way that Marvolo treated Ogden that made me think that Marvolo wanted to avoid everyone, Muggle and Wizard. It reminds me a little of the Appalachian mountain clans , proud but poor, at war with neighbors (like the famous Hatfields and McCoys feud) just because they were always feuding and they will continue to be like that, generation after generation.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak