Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Old March 23rd, 2010, 9:27 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender v3

One last episode review, before I head off on my ten-day excursion to Italy? Since I have a feeling it's a good one.

Book Two: Earth
Chapter Six: The Blind Bandit

Lovely opening sequence of Sokka and the bag . . . little sneak peek into an earthbending class . . . Katara scares some earthbending bullies . . . the Boulder beats some people up . . . AND NOW, THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR . . .

TOPH!!!!!!

*ahem* So, Toph. I loved her right away. Her strong attitude, her skills at earthbending, and the fact that she didn't allow her blindness to cripple her are amazing. Her story is a very interesting one, and being repressed by her parents seems to have made her even more expressive, unlike Mai, who was faced with a similar situation but became silent and monotonic instead of loud and sarcastic.

Going back to the Boulder's battles for a second though, I was surprised that the Fire Nation guy was able to compete, especially during a war. He is an Earthbender though, so I wonder if the Fire Nation outfit is just a costume, and if so, why on Earth would he choose that one?

Now back to Toph. The way that she listens to the earth and uses it to help her see is amazing. It means that she must have incredible reflexes to be able to react to everything instantly. The camera slowed down for us, but for her everything is happening quickly. She is an excellent fighter, and she doesn't like losing.

And she behaves quite differently in front of other people, namely her parents. I can't imagine what that must feel like, to have to supress the anger and hurt that she must feel everyday. And I bet those earthbending "lessons" are just torture for her, being restricted to only the beginner's level for so long.

I can't believe how much Toph's father coddles her. I know that he thinks she is limited in what she can do because of her blindness, but he won't even let her do something as simple as blow on her own soup. In fact, I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that she's blind, but it's because he's so used to treating her like a helpless little girl that he's gotten it into his mind that she can't do anything on her own. It must be extremely frustrating for Toph, having to live with that.

I'm a little surprised that Aang would encourage Toph to run away from home. Even if she is miserable there, how can he think it's okay for her to just leave?

Toph's fight with the other Earthbenders was amazing, and I'm sure it must have been astounding for her father to see her fight like that. And yet, he still insists on supressing her, it's just unbelievable.

And now Toph has joined the gaang, and the Tokka-shipping begins!

Favorite Quote:
Amongst many Sokka moments in this episode:

Katara: This is just gonna be a bunch of guys chuckin’ rocks at each other, isn’t it*?
Sokka: That’s what I paid for.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:33 pm
Fifth Year

TOPH!

Okay, I LOVE Sokka in this episode. So many funny quotes from him! And I love his first look at Toph and his surety that she's going to be demolished by The Boulder. 'Cuz everyone knows...Toph kicks BUTT! Oh, goodness, I love her. Her fighting style is really awesome, and I noticed it's kinda different from the other earthbenders. They're all about throwing their chests out and making bold movements; Toph's are more subtle, but just as strong, if more so. I believe someone described her as having Praying Mantis-style fighting, where all the other earthbenders have more of a Monkey-style (or some other kind of animal, I'm not sure exactly which).

Honestly, if I was her, I wouldn't have taken any **** from my parents. If I was that strong and knew it, I would have shown them on a daily basis. I mean, what was her papa thinking? A guard every day for the rest of her life? Please. She'd earthbend their butts into next week and have them all scared of her by the time she really hit puberty. And, I mean, her dad has to be the biggest dorkwad on the face of the planet! He SAW FIRSTHAND how powerful Toph is--how in the WORLD could he witness something like that and expect her to go back to the meek little blind girl?

Her parents are very photogenic people, though. I notice she takes after her mom mostly, but she's got a lot of her dad in her features.

TOKKA! :woohoo:

Toph got some good character development in this first episode, too. She hates to lose, she has a temper, she's deceptive, and, like Aang said, she knows exactly when to wait and when to listen. Despite her hotheadedness, she really kind of does know when to stop or when to go.

Man, I love Avatar!

"Things are never quite as scary when you're with your best friend."
My deviantART page:

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
"Writers are an ornery lot, and apt to run off in the oddest directions when you give them an idea." -Bruce Coville
Old April 3rd, 2010, 4:43 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieWitch View Post
Man, I love Avatar!
You said it!!

I actually loved everything the Boulder said in this episode, because when he talked in third person and made those stupid crazy hand motions it would make me bust out laughing.

I hate that no matter what Toph seems to do, her parents will never believe that a small blind girl could be a good earthbender and could have a strong personality. I'm surprised she didn't turn out like a wild kid, like some people who have controlling parents. Her parents show absolutely no empathy towards her, and don't even try to maybe help her improve her amazing skills or even try to get to know the girl that Toph had been hiding from them in the battle arena.

I miss this show so much!! Wish it aired more often!

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.

Last edited by hplova15165; April 3rd, 2010 at 4:48 pm.
Old April 5th, 2010, 3:07 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Honestly, if I was her, I wouldn't have taken any **** from my parents. If I was that strong and knew it, I would have shown them on a daily basis. I mean, what was her papa thinking? A guard every day for the rest of her life? Please. She'd earthbend their butts into next week and have them all scared of her by the time she really hit puberty. And, I mean, her dad has to be the biggest dorkwad on the face of the planet! He SAW FIRSTHAND how powerful Toph is--how in the WORLD could he witness something like that and expect her to go back to the meek little blind girl?
I'm also surprised that Toph hasn't tried to act out against her parents. Perhaps she was afraid of what they would think of her? Toph usually doesn't care about that, but maybe it's different with her parents than with other people.

Quote:
Man, I love Avatar!
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplova15165 View Post
You said it!!

I actually loved everything the Boulder said in this episode, because when he talked in third person and made those stupid crazy hand motions it would make me bust out laughing.

I hate that no matter what Toph seems to do, her parents will never believe that a small blind girl could be a good earthbender and could have a strong personality. I'm surprised she didn't turn out like a wild kid, like some people who have controlling parents. Her parents show absolutely no empathy towards her, and don't even try to maybe help her improve her amazing skills or even try to get to know the girl that Toph had been hiding from them in the battle arena.

I miss this show so much!! Wish it aired more often!
Haven't seen you around in a while! How have you been?

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old April 5th, 2010, 5:35 am
First Year

Toph is easily my favorite character. She's disabled, yet that's no problem. She uses her other senses and becomes the best earthbender in the world. She's blind and cant read or see pictures or swim-let alone know who's rescuing her from drowning or even fly on appa without being weakened, but she can sense where anyone and everyone is on solid ground, and then some. She's a tomboy and a rebel that doesn't let anyone get in her way, and I love that about her.

And if that's not enough, she's MELLONLORD! Muahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 9th, 2010, 12:43 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmrowland View Post
And if that's not enough, she's MELLONLORD! Muahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!
Which naturally makes her supreme.

Chapter Seven: Zuko Alone

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first (and only(?)) time that we see an episode of Avatar without Aang or the gaang involved. Instead, we get a special insight into Zuko's past and his mother. Well worth the trade, in my opinion.

I love how we keep seeing the same earth kingdom couple in several of these episodes as they make their way to Ba Sing Se. Hope!

I really love getting to see what Zuko's life was like when he was a kid. You can see that he was a great person, and that his mother had a big effect on him. Zuko clearly takes after his mother, while Azula takes after her father. Oh, and I really like evil little Azula. The fact that such wickedness could already be present in her as a child is really quite incredible. It wasn't as though she used to be good, and then became more cruel as the years passed. She was bad from the get go, it would seem.

And we see tiny Ty Lee and Mai! I'm not a Maiko fan at this point, so I don't really think much of Mai's crush on Zuko, but looking back at it now I think it's really cute.

We see immediately that Zuko looks up to his uncle, although Azula certainly doesn't think much of Iroh. And Iroh clearly doesn't know that one should never give Azula a doll unless it contains the power of vodoo.

It was very sweet of Zuko to give Lee (the small boy who Zuko later saved from the soldiers) the dagger that Iroh gave him, even if he had only just met him. This is one of the major episodes in which we see more to Zuko than his outer, Avatar-angsty-self.

Several times in this episode, Azula hints that Fire Lord Azulon may not be around for much longer. I wonder how much she knew about Azulon mysterous death. More on that later.

Zuko is very determined to keep trying until he succeeds, even as a child. You can't really help but admire him for it, even if he directs this determination towards capturing Aang.

Okay, back to the Azulon death conspiracy. There are a lot of theories floating around about what happened that night and who was involved. This is my personal theory:

Ozai had been plotting the death of his father for some time, but he didn't know how to go about it without seeming suspicious. He also needed to get Iroh out of the way, because he was meant to inherit the throne when Azulon died. After Lu Ten was killed in battle and Iroh left Ba Sing Se, Ozai saw his chance and tried to get Azulon to renounce Iroh's birthright, so that he could be Fire Lord instead with Azulon died. Azulon refused, and said that as punishment for his coldness towards his brother, he must kill his own son. Ozai, seeing Zuko as a failure and useless to him, was perfectly willing to go through with it. When Ursa found out about this plan, she told her husband that she would do whatever it took to protect Zuko. Ozai saw his chance to get rid of Azulon without being directly involved, thus eliminating the danger of being caught. He told Ursa that she must kill the Fire Lord (not sure how, but poisoning seems likely), that way Zuko's life would be spared. Ursa did so, and was banished for her treachery. It is assumed that she went into hiding, and has not (unfortunately) been heard from since. Ozai then forged some kind of will or last testament naming him to the throne instead of Iroh. As for the role that Azula played in all of this, it's my guess that she either spied on her father, as she did when he confronted Azulon, or he told her about his plans to get rid of her grandfather. I highly doubt she actually played any role in the assumed murder, being only a child, but she definitely knew more about it than she let on.

Well, that's my theory. What do you guys think?

I loved the moment when Zuko tells the earth kingdom soldiers who he is, even if everyone hates him for it afterwards. It shows that he is not ashamed of who he is, and that's a very good thing.

Favorite Quote:
Old Man: Give him a left! A left!
Old Woman: It's not a fist fight.
Old Man: He's got a left sword, don't he?

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old April 16th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Fifth Year

I think your theory is very like my own. Have I posted the ficlet I wrote along those lines? I hope I did...if I didn't, let me know.

I do enjoy this episode. It's basically Zuko character development, and, my, what a character! He shows complexity rarely seen in typical kids' cartoons: he has daddy issues, looks up to his uncle as a father figure, his past was tortuous, his life was spared by his mother's possible treachery against King Azulon (who, as far as I can tell, was a pretty good Fire Lord. Stuck in his father's traditions, but good, nonetheless), he has a deadly rivalry with his younger sister, and romantic involvement with his sister's friend (). He's capable of being a great guy, as shown by his treatment of Lee and his family.

I love the title, too. "Zuko Alone." It pretty much sums up his life, doesn't it?

Iroh knew exactly what he was doing when he sent Azula the doll. He was probably sending her a subtle hint that other girls her age are off being NORMAL and not HOMICIDAL.

My deviantART page:

"Writers are an ornery lot, and apt to run off in the oddest directions when you give them an idea." -Bruce Coville
Old April 18th, 2010, 4:07 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Iroh knew exactly what he was doing when he sent Azula the doll. He was probably sending her a subtle hint that other girls her age are off being NORMAL and not HOMICIDAL.
She did not take it well.

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old April 23rd, 2010, 3:29 am
Sixth Year

Shall we continue with the chapter discussions, since no one has posted in a while?

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old May 1st, 2010, 3:03 am
Sixth Year

I'll take that as a yes.

Chapter Eight: The Chase

So, the full gaang is together for the first time and conflict emerges almost immediately between Katara and Toph. I never really understood this argument. Toph says that she can pull her own weight, which is fine and all, but Katara was asking her to just help out around camp, not such a big deal or suggesting that Toph can't take care of herself. Was there some kind of miscommunication here, or am I missing something?

Almost immediately Toph proves that she's a good addition to the gaang by warning them about Azula. It's really amazing that her connection with the earth is so strong that she can feel someone coming even when she's asleep.

Azula and the girls are very determined. They must have gone the whole night without sleep either, yet they're still wide-awake when they finally face the gaang.

Just a little Tokka moment here: when Toph storms off Sokka's the only one who tries to stop her. Just saying.

Nice little fighting sequence with Mai and Ty Lee . . . Aang finally meets Azula face-to-face and . . . Iroh time!

I wish I had Iroh for a uncle, he's such a great guy. He's willing to sit down and have tea with a stranger, and gives out amazing advice.

*snickers* Zuzu . . .

It's a perfect example of sibling rivalry--that Azula and Zuko won't work together to bring down a common enemy, and kudos to Aang for fending them both off!

And Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, why didn't you let Katara heal Iroh? Was it pride? Shame? What I'm more surprised at, though, is that the gaang left them there, with Iroh wounded and possibly near death (thank goodness he wasn't!). It just seems very uncharacteristic of them. I mean, after all, Aang did save Zuko's life in the North Pole when he could have just abandoned him in the snowstorm.

I also thought the silent shots between Iroh and Toph were great, when he looks at her and figures out that she's with the Avatar, and when she realizes who he is through her feet.

Favorite Quote:

Toph: Oh, and about your nephew* Maybe you should tell him that you need him too.

I really liked this, because it's very true, and reminds us of how Iroh sees Zuko and his great love for him.

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old May 9th, 2010, 12:49 am
Sixth Year

Secret tunnel . . . secret tunnel . . .

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old May 12th, 2010, 2:25 am
Fifth Year

Ah, yes, passing over my epic loserness...

This episode. Lovely, lovely episode. Shows everything but the kitchen sink, really: Gaang conflict, Azula tracking skills, Iroh-Zuko relationship development, Mai and Ty Lee fight scene, Toph-Iroh awesomeness, EPIC three-way bending fight, material for "What's that? I think it's your honor!" (Ember Island Players, still my favorite episode by far ), Zuko's pride issues, Iroh getting his butt whupped--erm, chest smoked (), Azula's claws again (), and general awesomeness.

I've thought a lot about Zuko's unwillingness to accept Katara's help, and I think it's got something to do with aforementioned pride issues. He's too proud to work with anyone to fix his problems because he's got it in his head he has to go everything alone (and I'm not surprised, upbringing like his...). The Gaang probably left because, although Zuko's shouted and firebended at them before, he'd never been so vulnerable as he was right then, and they were allowing him the courtesy of doing what he does best and going it alone...with Uncle, of course. And he's fine later, so no big.

Toph doesn't play well with other kids. I mean, Katara. I find it hilarious when the girls fight, because, A) catfight, and B) they bring out the worst in each other under extreme conditions. I also find it funny that, after the display shown in the Earth Rumble, Katara was expecting another girly-girl to converse with. Hasn't Toph proved her tomboyness already?

Toph is so awesome.

My deviantART page:

Old May 13th, 2010, 2:47 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Ah, yes, passing over my epic loserness...
Passed over and forgiven. Welcome back, Lord DixieWitch.

Quote:
I've thought a lot about Zuko's unwillingness to accept Katara's help, and I think it's got something to do with aforementioned pride issues. He's too proud to work with anyone to fix his problems because he's got it in his head he has to go everything alone (and I'm not surprised, upbringing like his...). The Gaang probably left because, although Zuko's shouted and firebended at them before, he'd never been so vulnerable as he was right then, and they were allowing him the courtesy of doing what he does best and going it alone...with Uncle, of course. And he's fine later, so no big.
Stupid Zuko and his pride issues. He made me fret for a whole episode break because of that.

Quote:
Toph doesn't play well with other kids. I mean, Katara. I find it hilarious when the girls fight, because, A) catfight, and B) they bring out the worst in each other under extreme conditions. I also find it funny that, after the display shown in the Earth Rumble, Katara was expecting another girly-girl to converse with. Hasn't Toph proved her tomboyness already?

Toph is so awesome.
Did you know she was originally designed as a boy? Her personality stayed the same though, the only thing that changed was her gender.

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old May 15th, 2010, 4:21 am
Fifth Year

Yeah, I knew that. Her original design was how she was protrayed in the Ember Island Players episode (which, coincidentally, has a lot of little jokes like that sprinkled throughout; I'm pretty sure Zutara was in the original storyboard, or at least in discussion): big, buff, burly, and tough. Tiny blind girl works SO much better with her personality, I think: it gives her human weakness that deepens her character.

My deviantART page:

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:30 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Yeah, I knew that. Her original design was how she was protrayed in the Ember Island Players episode
*tries to imagine the buff Ember Island actor traveling with the gaang*

Quote:
(which, coincidentally, has a lot of little jokes like that sprinkled throughout; I'm pretty sure Zutara was in the original storyboard, or at least in discussion)
I read/heard this somewhere (can't remember where exactly, I want to say someone's journal on DA) that going into season three, there was a 50% chance that Katara would end up with Zuko. So for two seasons, Zutara was practically canon.

Quote:
Tiny blind girl works SO much better with her personality, I think: it gives her human weakness that deepens her character.
I love Toph, I can't imagine her any other way.

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old May 25th, 2010, 12:47 am
Sixth Year

We interrupt our, uh, intense discussion of the Avatar chapters to wish one Lord DixieWitch a very happy birthday!

Since there aren't that many of us, I thought we'd go with some cupcakes instead of an entire cake:

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old May 30th, 2010, 3:47 am
Sixth Year

I'll just stick these cupcakes into the refrigerator in case anyone wants some. In the meantime:

Chapter Nine: Bitter Work

I love how Aang is so excited in the beginning of this episode. He's acting just like the little kid he is.

But now we have to move onto something sad: Iroh and Lu Ten. This story is so tragic, and the series represents it really well. It shows us the relationship Lu Ten had with his father, although we never really see him except for that one memory when he was a child. Still, it's more than enough to realize the pain that Iroh must have gone through.

Sadly, Zuko hasn't inherited his uncle's ability to make tea. At all.

Awww, it's Foo Foo Cuddlypoops! Great Sokka moments in here too.

It's nice to get some information on how lighting works, how's its different from fire-bending, etc. Iroh is very knowledgable, though that's not surprising considering his age and experience. And the combination of fire-bending with a waterbender movement is very innovated and, as Zuko said, very Avatar-like. I think a lot could be learned by studying the other nations, and that's one of the reasons why Iroh is so powerful. He observes and adapts other stances and moves that are not natural to him.

Sadly, Zuko is too angsty and emotional right now to appreciate all of this. Boy I can't wait for Season Three.

Favorite Quote:

Sokka: Okay karma person or thing, whoever’s in charge of this stuff, if I can just get out of this situation alive, I will give up meat and sarcasm. Okay* OW! That’s all I got! It’s pretty much my whole identity! Sokka, the meat and sarcasm guy! But I’m willing to be Sokka the veggies and straight talk fellow! …Deal*

*Aang appears*

Sokka: Aang! Thank goodness! Have you got any meat?

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old June 2nd, 2010, 3:35 am
Sixth Year

I think I'm going to have to go out recruiting . . .

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old June 15th, 2010, 2:50 am
Fifth Year

OMG CUPPYCAKES! *slaps oneself for being a dorkwad* Those are ADORABLE!

Anyway...this episode was a very cool one, I thought, because everyone's always talking about the yin-yang of fire and water, but there's a second yin-yang that's always overlooked, and here the air-earth opposites are looked at pretty close (which is awesome). It's also cool to see Aang react to not being an outright natural at whatever he's trying; his frustration with being at first unable to master his natural polar opposite is yet another reason why Avatar is the most awesome cartoon ever, because it shows some depth to the bending arts. And, as always, Toph and Sokka are the most epic characters EVER.

Iroh and Zuko with lightningbending is pretty awesome, too. I recently watched The Ember Island Players episode again, and I realized, this episode especially, how spot-on the Zuko actor was; Iroh was cracking a joke every five seconds, and Zuko was completely stoic through the whole thing. And Zuko's final scene was moving, as well; it shows his dissatisfaction and, as Iroh said, his shame and inbalance. I'm with you, Witchsmart, I can't WAIT for Book Three Zuko.

Sokka + Foofoocuddlypoops = Goodness, that was amazing.

Toph + positive reinforcement = fail. Toph doesn't DO positive reinforcement...she just pounds it into your head until you get it.

Fave quote:
Zuko: "I know what you're going to say; she's my sister, and I should be trying to get along with her."
Iroh: "No, she's crazy and needs to be taken down!"

My deviantART page:

Old June 15th, 2010, 4:32 am
Second Year

I don't own the DVD's or even a TV, so most of this is going off memory. I hope you guys don't mind if I join the conversation.

All I really had to say here is...
1. I am totally getting a cat just so I can name him FooFoo.

And (this is a bit late) has anybody thought about the implications on Tokka if they had kept Toph's original design?

Brought to you with help from the eternally awesome DarkLord7.

Future Ruler of the ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!!! *Dramatic lightning*

I lost The Game.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television