Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

The All Inclusive HBP Thread v11

View Poll Results: Who or what is Laurasia?
Where did you get this name from? 37 33.64%
A guest on Slughorn's party. 22 20.00%
A waitress on Slughorn's party. 9 8.18%
The pineapple brand on Slughorn's party. 8 7.27%
It's actually a continent. 31 28.18%
Something else. 9 8.18%
We want a serious poll, Gertie! 34 30.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:07 pm
Sixth Year

Re: The All Inclusive HBP Thread v11

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
Obviously, that would be the ideal - I would actually love it if they included more of the subplots, but they've always glossed over the adult story lines. I find it's better for my sanity to have low expectations in that regard.

Cross posting from the Deathly Hallows thread because HBP is also mentioned -

This just in from TLC!

Geraldine Somerville Confirms Return as Lily Potter for "Deathly Hallows"
DH Film
Actress Geraldine Somerville has confirmed her intent to return as Lily Potter for the final “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” film, as well as the upcoming “Half-Blood Prince.” In an interview with the Manchester Evening News, Ms. Somerville, who appearances in the films have been brief, says “I’ll just come in and do my little, ‘I am Lily Potter,’ and go quietly.” The actress, who is a mother of three children, notes they have not seen the Potter films as of yet given their young age, and says she does get recognized by Potter fans while out and out, saying she does get noticed “Occasionally a bit, I suppose. I’m not surprised when it happens – I am in it!”

I don't remember the adult James or Lily actually making an appearance in HBP - perhaps for Harry's picture album?
Ohhh, interesting! thanks for posting

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:18 pm
Third Year

I have a quick question, I heard it was rumored that Scrimigeor was cut. Does anyone know if that's true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&i tem=170269184909

YOU'RE GOING TO END UP LIVING OFF A STEADY DIET OF GOVERNMENT IMPORTED CHEESE, AND LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:19 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
This just in from TLC!

Geraldine Somerville Confirms Return as Lily Potter for "Deathly Hallows"
DH Film
Actress Geraldine Somerville has confirmed her intent to return as Lily Potter for the final “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” film, as well as the upcoming “Half-Blood Prince.” In an interview with the Manchester Evening News, Ms. Somerville, who appearances in the films have been brief, says “I’ll just come in and do my little, ‘I am Lily Potter,’ and go quietly.” The actress, who is a mother of three children, notes they have not seen the Potter films as of yet given their young age, and says she does get recognized by Potter fans while out and out, saying she does get noticed “Occasionally a bit, I suppose. I’m not surprised when it happens – I am in it!”

I don't remember the adult James or Lily actually making an appearance in HBP - perhaps for Harry's picture album?
Just because Lily's in it doesn't mean Harry's father has to be. My best guess is either they're dropping in some of the Severus-Lily hints early or - much more likely - she'll be in some old photo of the Slug Club. Or maybe both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrim
I had heard that Luna would rescue Harry on the train.
Yeah, I had heard that too. That "mystery source" on IMDb, right? But this Snape thing I'm talking about was posted after that. God, I wish I could find it! I even remember one of the people talking about it (maybe 'hermeschick'?) made a pretty funny comment about what she hoped Rickman would have to say in that scene. Something about offering whoever punched Harry "my...sincerest...gratitude."

"Hey, Mom! Snape DIDN'T die - he's pitching in the World Series!"
[
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:19 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
I have a quick question, I heard it was rumored that Scrimigeor was cut. Does anyone know if that's true?
We're not sure if this is true or false, but we're crossing our fingers for a cameo appearance...check the HBP list in ArryGrotter's sig...I believe Yates said he would want Bill Nighy to play him. But it may have been someone else...

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
It's still just a rumor, but there is no confirmation that anybody has been cast for the role... so it's not looking good at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrim View Post
I had heard that Luna would rescue Harry on the train.
If that's true they really are increasing Luna's profile in the movie. This would be the second scene (Felix Felicis scene) they assign to Luna from another character.

Anybody has an idea of who the "Feather wizard" mentioned on the cast list at Imdb is?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/fullcredits#cast

We are but the dream of a shadow.
Solo somos el sueño de una sombra.
Wir sind nur der Traum eines Schatten.
http://countwestwest.livejournal.com

Last edited by CountWestwest; August 13th, 2008 at 10:27 pm.
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I wouldnt mind if they have Luna do that. I think Evana is a great Luna and this would mean having more of her on screen. Despite the purist I might be sometimes. a change like this one I will not mind.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:45 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

If they are messing with that scene anyway, I think Snape is a better choice. The book has that great scene with Harry hating Snape and Snape making snide remarks and taking points as they walk together form the gates to the Great Hall, but I think that would be far less effective without all the internal dialogue about how much Harry now hates Snape. A new scene instead of that would be good, and would not tend to lead people to the right conclusion about "who is the HBP?" And would contribute to the dislike for Snape opf audience members, preparing them to accept him as a murdering traitor in preparation for the big twist in DH.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
If they are messing with that scene anyway, I think Snape is a better choice. The book has that great scene with Harry hating Snape and Snape making snide remarks and taking points as they walk together form the gates to the Great Hall, but I think that would be far less effective without all the internal dialogue about how much Harry now hates Snape. A new scene instead of that would be good, and would not tend to lead people to the right conclusion about "who is the HBP?" And would contribute to the dislike for Snape opf audience members, preparing them to accept him as a murdering traitor in preparation for the big twist in DH.
I think anybody that has seen the movies already knows how much Harry hates Snape. It would be good to have Snape do it because it would show what an ambivalent character Snape is... but I'm with Montse on this one... the more Luna, the better.

Old August 13th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
He might be a "better choice" but as someone mentioned earlier (very sorry i forget the name, but you know who you are.) If Snape were to get Harry, by the time he realized he was missing, he'd have to go from the castle, to the gates, to Hogsmeade station, and by that time the train would be gone. It would make more sense to have Luna find him, and i'm one of those who believes Luna should have more screentime as well. Hmmm, hopefully they keep it to where Harry brings Luna to SLughorn's party. More LUNA!

Old August 13th, 2008, 11:15 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry5678 View Post
He might be a "better choice" but as someone mentioned earlier (very sorry i forget the name, but you know who you are.) If Snape were to get Harry, by the time he realized he was missing, he'd have to go from the castle, to the gates, to Hogsmeade station, and by that time the train would be gone. It would make more sense to have Luna find him, and i'm one of those who believes Luna should have more screentime as well. Hmmm, hopefully they keep it to where Harry brings Luna to SLughorn's party. More LUNA!
Melissa Anelli (from TLC and Pottercast) said she had seen Luna's dress for Slughorn party in her set report... so that's pretty much confirmed.

Last edited by CountWestwest; August 13th, 2008 at 11:18 pm.
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:17 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry5678 View Post
That would be me.

But, yeah, changing that to Snape wouldn't work at all because of the logistics of the timing. It wouldn't be believable, IMO. It would make a lot more sense to just cut the bit about him being late to the feast and have one of his friends find him. Ron and Hermione would be the obvious choices, but they could also go with Luna, Neville, and/or Ginny. I think any one of them would work, but I lean more towards Ginny simply because it would work towards building up Harry's eventual relationship with her.

And I believe Harry taking Luna to Slughorn's party has been confirmed.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old August 13th, 2008, 11:17 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
I wouldnt mind if they have Luna do that. I think Evana is a great Luna and this would mean having more of her on screen. Despite the purist I might be sometimes. a change like this one I will not mind.

Luv the rubber ducky montse!: Why would they change this scene? I kind of liked having tonks rescue harry as written. However, if it's luna I am okay with that too. I think she will have plenty of screen time in this film with this, the felix felicis, announcing the quidditch game, slughorn's party, etc. Yates must really like evanna!

Old August 13th, 2008, 11:27 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
We actually know quite a lot, and you might be surprised by how much we know. This will be seen in 9 days when we unveil the HBP list version 7! A link to version 6 is in my signature if you are interested in reading.
Wow Thank you!!

Old August 14th, 2008, 1:24 am
Fifth Year

I favor it being Ginny who helps Harry on the train, not Luna. Nothing against Luna but it would add to the building relationship between Harry and Ginny.

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Old August 14th, 2008, 2:07 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
I favor it being Ginny who helps Harry on the train, not Luna. Nothing against Luna but it would add to the building relationship between Harry and Ginny.
Yeah, but Luna is cuter. I'm perfectly okay with them butchering the relationships and character development and plot and everything if the result is that Luna gets more screen time.

The more of her, the better, I say.

Old August 14th, 2008, 2:12 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdi86 View Post

That's a good idea actually. Anything to strengthen the bond between Harry and Ginny I think would be a welcome change. The audience has to root for these two and care about their relationship.

Old August 14th, 2008, 2:39 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfRebirth View Post
Yeah, but Luna is cuter. I'm perfectly okay with them butchering the relationships and character development and plot and everything if the result is that Luna gets more screen time.

The more of her, the better, I say.
Good reasoning.

I would like it if Luna rescues Harry. They might be able to slip in a funny line for her if she finds him. It sounds good to me.

Old August 14th, 2008, 3:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
Yates must really like evanna!
I am glad he does. Luna povides a freshness to the scenes , I simply love her.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old August 14th, 2008, 3:17 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountWestwest View Post
Melissa Anelli (from TLC and Pottercast) said she had seen Luna's dress for Slughorn party in her set report... so that's pretty much confirmed.
thanks for the info, that's good to know

Old August 14th, 2008, 5:00 am
Fourth Year

Does the movie audience even know how long the Hogwarts Express stays at the castle after it drops off the kids? I read the books, and I don't know that. Maybe the conductor stays overnight in Hogsmeade and heads back to London the next morning. Just sayin.'

My point is, I don't think the movie fans would ever question it. I wouldn't. And even in the books, Snape has a habit of just "appearing" on the scene when Harry's in trouble - which makes sense, considering his secret role as Harry's de facto bodyguard - so it's not like it would be wildly OOC or even very surprising. (No more surprising, certainly, than his sudden and completely unexplained appearance in the Shack in PoA. )

And if it's really a problem, just have the teachers patrolling the station instead of the Aurors - after all, that's how Tonks found him in the book - and have Snape, who we learned in the very first film watches over Harry anyway, notice that Harry didn't get off the train. Fait accompli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountWestwest
I think anybody that has seen the movies already knows how much Harry hates Snape.
You do?? I don't. They cut the extended Potions class from PS with Harry talking back and losing a point for his "cheek." They cut the shouting matches (and Snape's flip-out at the end) from PoA. They cut Harry's reaction to the revelation that Snape had been a Death Eater from GoF. And they cut Harry's bizarre leap from strong dislike to murderous hatred when he concluded that Snape was somehow, some way responsible for Black's death in OotP. The most abrasive thing Movie!Snape has said thus far to Harry is, "Your father was a swine!" The most abrasive thing that Harry's said to Snape is, "And I'd appreciate it if you'd lower your wand."

They whitewash these characters, all of them, in the movies. That's why we never see Snape's insecurity, his immaturity, or his explosive temper, and why we see only the barest hints of his utter irrationality when it comes to Harry. It's why we didn't see angsty emo!Harry, or Harry being the maddening little smart-aleck he can be. It's why we saw a calm, mature, paternal Sirius Black instead of the bitter, complaining, "you're-no-fun-Harry" Black we saw in the books. And on and on. And on.

And I frankly don't see that changing any time soon. If they follow their past pattern, Harry's negative feelings for Snape will progress throughout the film as his suspicions of Snape/Draco increase. But he won't go into the film with anything but his usual ho-hum "Oh, yeah, Snape, he's kind of a git, isn't he?" attitude. I'd bet real money on it.

"Hey, Mom! Snape DIDN'T die - he's pitching in the World Series!"
[

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References