Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

The All-Inclusive HBP Thread, v.12

Old September 8th, 2008, 8:22 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

The All-Inclusive HBP Thread, v.12

This is our twelfth instalment of the Half-Blood Prince movie discussion thread! For reference, here's v.11.

Happy posting, everyone, and please remember to keep it polite and pertinent to the topic.

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2008, 8:32 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: The All-Inclusive HBP Thread, v. 12

As if having the movie delayed wasn't bad enough
The GAME has now been officially pushed back as well

Quote:
Official: EA Delays "Half-Blood Prince" Video Game Until Summer 09

HBP Film
Posted by: Sue
September 08, 2008, 09:33 AM

As expected, EA, the makers of the Harry Potter video games, have formally announced their plans to delay the release of the “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” video game until Summer 09 (no specific date yet mentioned). Moving the release of the game to coincide with the new release date of the sixth Harry Potter film in July of next year, a formal press release reads:

I can't say I'm surprised...I was expecting it

But I was still hoping for SOMETHING in November, and the game always includes MANY scenes from the film

------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like if we want more script leaks from wild_world we'll have to check HPForum frequently and be QUICK:

Quote:
wild_world-1 CommentTime5 hours ago

Guys, I'm posting a new way. I'll leave the newest script scene up for about an hour for anyone to save then I'm deleting it. I've heard people are posting it at the big sites and believe me they will pass the information onto the WB.

So save and pass it on from now on.
BTW, he is going to posting more scripts today it sounds like...so be ALERT!

Quote:
I agree! Are you going to post something else today?

wild_world-1 CommentTime5 hours ago

Yes, two scenes will be posted soon.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old September 8th, 2008, 8:53 pm
Registered Animagus

I had a feeling the game would be delayed now that the movie is. Usually the games have a lot of movie spoilers if you know where to look and what you are looking for. And now that the movie has been pushed back, there is no need for the game to released many months before the movie.

That was kinda off topic, so I'll get back on topic.

I loved those two scripts. So Pansy is confirmed in the movie! I heard about this months ago, but didn't know if it was true. I really liked the scene on the train with her and Draco in the book. Looks like it will be in the movie. I liked the blood squirt scene too. My only peeve is that it looks like the scene goes quickly.

That RoR kiss scene is a bit confusing to me. I will wait for my response to that scene until I see it.

Old September 8th, 2008, 8:55 pm
Third Year

That's sad. If they were forced to push it back by WB then that's not nice at all. It would have made way better sales during the Winter Holiday season.

Old September 8th, 2008, 9:07 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I loved those two scripts. So Pansy is confirmed in the movie! I heard about this months ago, but didn't know if it was true. I really liked the scene on the train with her and Draco in the book. Looks like it will be in the movie. I liked the blood squirt scene too. My only peeve is that it looks like the scene goes quickly.

That RoR kiss scene is a bit confusing to me. I will wait for my response to that scene until I see it.
I agree with you. I think the scenes on the train look as if they are going to keep a brisk pace, but look well written. I also enjoy the fact that we get to see from Luna's perspective, not to mention we actually see Wrackspurts .

As for the RoR scene, a lot of people seem to be reacting negatively about it. At first, I was completely adverse to changing the Harry/Ginny aspect of the movie, but after reading the RoR scene I feel a bit more at ease with the concept. I feel this might fit better, with their relationship in a bit of limbo, sort of like the rest of the wizarding world, it's up in the air at the end of HBP.

Also, I think it'll be a well done plot device to keep the pace running and circumvent having to use the passage of time to show the entire Detention w. Snape/Quidditch match thing, which would slow the movie down right in the middle of a very high drama part of the movie. But then again, they did decide to freeze Nigel on the toilet during Sectumsempra, so it might not be as dramatic as we hoped :P.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old September 8th, 2008, 9:09 pm
Sixth Year

I'm so disappointed that they left out Snape overhearing the prophecy. I know they really skimmed over the prophecy in ootp, but I do think it's important that Harry knows Snape was responsible for selling his parents out to voldemort.

As disappointed as I am about a lot of the test screening reviews- especially the most recent info that Harry just watches DD die while hiding under the floorboards, I recognize that as a reader it's hard to see changes in the film.

I did read the imdb review of a nonreader and overall it was pretty positive. I am glad actually I have time to get resigned to all the changes they are making. It's really almost unrecognizable for me from the book I read.

For those who haven't read the imdb review- here is one of them.

Spoiler: show
I was invited by email a week ago to attend a test screening in Chicago. I went today and it turned out to be Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. it was almost complete. the only things that were missing were transitions and maybe 30%ish cgi. sound design also seemed kind of rough. the guy that introduced the movie said we were the first audience in the world to see it. it was a solid movie. i was worried during the first 25 minutes because it was very poorly paced but once they got to hogwarts things picked up and became more interesting. daniel radcliffe seemed to be going by the numbers and didnt have that good of a performance. rupert grint and tom felton were excellent however and jim broadbent (slughorn) stole the show. there was a lot of sexual tension that was pulled off very well. i would rank this chapter of the saga around the middle for quality and entertainment value, but of course it was still a rough cut so things will likely change - hopefully for the better.

i do not know how long it was, cell phones were not allowed so i couldn't keep track of the time. maybe around 2.5, probably less

this movie is different than the previous ones as this is more of a character development film than an action film. there are only a few action scenes, the movie is VERY character heavy (at least this cut was, it may change). sets were limited to a few places, nothing really new (at least at hogwarts) and the entire movie seemed scaled back (but remember it is still a rough cut).

i thought harry's performance was kinda weak.
emma seemed same as it has been
ron was very solid
his g/f was great
ginny was just fine, had a decent amount of screen time
slughorn was the best character
dumbledor seemed like he was going through the motions
malfoy was great

theres no funeral but it is good without it, save it for deathly hollows

a lot of previous trends were broken - no foster family, the seasons are represented differently (its winter really soon in the movie)

ginny and harry kiss once towards the end.

luna has a few good scenes

you see the weasley's joke shop

please only ask/pm specific questions, not about general relationships or the overall ending (i've explained that enough) and remember, i havent read the book so dont toss out random wizard words and expect me to know them

Old September 8th, 2008, 9:21 pm
Third Year

Well that's terrible. That reviewer felt that Radcliffe and Gambon were weak/average. That's not good at all. Thoguh I did suspect that the only reason Radcliffe seemed so good in the previous one was because everything was centred around him, whereas for this one they've gone back to giving all the supporting characters more meatier screentime and lines, which allows them to once again throw poor semi-talented Radcliffe into the background.

Old September 8th, 2008, 9:46 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Well that's terrible. That reviewer felt that Radcliffe and Gambon were weak/average. That's not good at all. Thoguh I did suspect that the only reason Radcliffe seemed so good in the previous one was because everything was centred around him, whereas for this one they've gone back to giving all the supporting characters more meatier screentime and lines, which allows them to once again throw poor semi-talented Radcliffe into the background.
The reveiwer, though was biased against these actors

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old September 8th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh
I think we have enough and people might remember that it's the reason Harry was targeted in the first place.
It's not good enough that people might remember it (which they won't, because it wasn't ever really stated in the fifth film). It needs to be made explicit and resolved in a sensible way. There is no way it can be included in DH and have the impact it did in the book with OOTP and now HBP going they way they have. Snape loving Lily is going to be enough of a Deus Ex Machina already, by suddenly involving a prophecy that no one will remember you make it even more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore
That reviewer felt that Radcliffe and Gambon were weak/average. That's not good at all.
This is the most disturbing part of the reviews for me. For now, I'll chalk it up to bias against Gambon and the fact that Harry plays less of a central role this time (absurd when the movies bear his name), but I have lowered my expectations regarding the acting in the movie. I hope I am proved wrong. Even if the movie is awful, a good performance from Gambon will be enough for me. It would be a great shame that for the 2nd time, Yates doesn't make the most of him.

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:00 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
The reveiwer, though was biased against these actors
Says who? They said they didn't even read the books. You think this person is just out to bash actors or something?

These are very very bad signs.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:10 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Says who? They said they didn't even read the books. You think this person is just out to bash actors or something?

These are very very bad signs.
No they aren't. It's one person's opinion, and it's an opinion at odds with most reviews, which are generally complementary about the actors.

And I refuse to trust the opinion of somebody who relies on a cell phone to tell them the time anyway.

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:11 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe View Post
No they aren't. It's one person's opinion, and it's an opinion at odds with most reviews, which are generally complementary about the actors.

And I refuse to trust the opinion of somebody who relies on a cell phone to tell them the time anyway.
Still, this is not the only review we've heard that wasn't impressed by the actors...

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Snape loving Lily is going to be enough of a Deus Ex Machina already, by suddenly involving a prophecy that no one will remember you make it even more so.
Can you explain how Snape loving Lily is a deus ex machina?

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:19 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
Can you explain how Snape loving Lily is a deus ex machina?
A WHAT??? Can you people speak English and use terms "normal" people understand?

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
A WHAT??? Can you people speak English and use terms "normal" people understand?
A Deus Ex Machina is, according to Merriam-Webster, a person or thing (as in fiction or drama) that appears or is introduced suddenly and unexpectedly and provides a contrived solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:31 pm
Fourth Year

How sad, I know everything about this movie, and I have to wait 'til July to see it with my own eyes, the world is going topsy-turvy.

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:34 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post

It's basically when something random and unexpected happens to resolve an issue in stories.

Kinda like there's a big battle and the hero is about to die and all of a sudden an alien shows up and blows up the villian

"In my life I have seen things that are unimaginably
horrific. I know now...you will see worse."
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:36 pm
Second Year

Those two script leaks were great (I especially liked the Draco on the train bit.) Something that hasn't been brought up that I've been wondering about is whether or not Cho is in this? I know she's been cast but is there any sort of closure to her and Harry's relationship? They didn't really end it properly in OOTP.

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:45 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Snape loving Lily is going to be enough of a Deus Ex Machina already, by suddenly involving a prophecy that no one will remember you make it even more so.

Quote:
deus ex machina |ˈdāəs eks ˈmäkənə; -ˈmak-|
noun
an unexpected power or event saving a seemingly hopeless situation, esp. as a [bold]contrived plot device in a play or novel.[/bold]

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. BTW Snape loving Lily is far from "contrived" or a "surprise" plot twist that JKR pulled out the hat at the last minute. She planned the whole series around Snape (and DD) story line and the central theme of redemption, love and sarcrifice.

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:45 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
How sad, I know everything about this movie, and I have to wait 'til July to see it with my own eyes, the world is going topsy-turvy.
heh luckily I don't know everything yet (And trying to keep it that way)

I want to answer MoD's question in the last version of this thread though. I think from the reviews this film sounds awesome actually. My thing with movies is that I'm entertained. I don't mind the changes really, they know what they're doing now since all books so I expect ALOT of things to be changed around..even moreso than ever since they now know what's important in the long run.

I love that they changed the Harry/Ginny relationship personally (*ducks from cupcake that Montse throws at my head*) and that change to the astronomy scene I feel is...well...ok spoiler tag time...

Spoiler: show
I can see it being against book Harry's personality but not movie Harry's. You must admit they have their differences and they never really set up Harry's whole 'saving people complex' in the films. I doubt it'll make Harry look bad because he was doing what Dumbledore told him and last film he saw Dumbledore and Voldemort fight so he knows DUmbledore is more than capable of handling a few Death Eaters. Besides through the majority of the scene it's basically Draco so Harry knows Dumbledore can handle him. Now it's when the Death Eaters show up that things get interesting, but now I"m wondering how long after they show up does Snape appear? hmmm

Anywho I"m still excited..will continue to be..and probably love the movie to death once I see it Now the question is will it surpass POA as my favorite...

"In my life I have seen things that are unimaginably
horrific. I know now...you will see worse."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References