Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Lyrics, Video, Voice or Melody?

Old September 18th, 2009, 7:31 am
Fourth Year

Re: Lyrics, Video, Voice or Melody?

Hmm I would have to say:

4. Video
3. Voice
2. Lyrics
1. Melody

Music videos usually make no difference to me, unless there's a song that I like that has a really silly video, then everytime I listen to the song I'll remember the silly video and not like it anymore

Voice is important but it usually doesn't effect my liking of a song, again unless I hear a song I like sung by somebody else and I happen to like it more.

To choose between Lyrics and Melody is a toughie! But while both are important, I would generally prefer a song that has a good melody and beat but silly lyrics (like Glycerine by Bush) to a song that has kick-*** lyrics but a not-very-nice melody (and I can't think of an example which further proves my point)

Old September 18th, 2009, 8:36 am
Registered Animagus

Some videos are really good though. I almost never watch them unless it's an artist I know will make a good one (Rammstein's are usually good, Combichrist have their moments, Weird Al has some amusing ones).

I think for me music is easily the most important. A lot of the music I like has minimal singing in it but voice is almost as important regardless. A bad voice can really ruin a song.
As for lyrics.. hmm well it depends on the genre I think. Some bands have some lovely and/or really clever lyrics and songs which are as lyrical as they are musical I think need good lyrics. Having said that though, I listen to a lot of music in other languages that I don't understand

Old September 19th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Second Year

As I have been listening to music in other languages, english, since I was very young, probably thats why lyrics is the less in my musical taste.

I have notice VOICE is very important to me, if I really don´t like the voice, there´s no way I like the song. I admire good voices, I may enjoy a song no matter the style if the voice is remarkable.

The music I listen is basically in english so I never listen to the lyrics in the first place.
Now I can understand english so at least I can get what the song is about in general.

But when I was a kid....
¡Oh I have pretty funny anecdotes about this!!

I have songs from the 80s I´ve loved so so much, but then I found soooooo weird when I finally understood the lyrics... I said ¡Jesus! whenm I found out what the song was really about
Becoz I have in my imagination other vision of those songs and music.

Sometimes it happens the song tells me one story but the lyrics tells another.

It depends

Last edited by Puppet_Master; September 19th, 2009 at 3:35 pm.
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Defiantly voice and melody. It needs to be something that instantly catches my attention.
That's what reminds me of Jack's Mannequin. They have the most awesome sound and Andrew's voice is amazing.
Jack's Mannequin is my favorite band ever! Andrew is amazing as is his music!

For me I would say they are all equally important, but voice is on the top of my list. Then it's a tie between lyrics and melody. I don't really care about the videos as much.

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old October 25th, 2009, 2:25 pm
Second Year

I would have to say good sounding vocals and melodies/instruments.

Lyrics are a good thing to have, but there have been songs that have good lyrics but I really detested the music. So it just becomes poetry to me and not music.

If you are going to have good lyrics then I beg you to back it up with good sound too.

Old September 18th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Fourth Year

The most important for me are the melody and lyrics. I very rarely watch music videos anyway so that doesn't bother me, and as long as the artist can sing roughly in tune then I don't mind. Although most of the time now the lyrics in pop songs don't really mean anything so in those cases the voice is more important but I don't listen to that much pop music anyway.

As long as the tune's catchy then I can listen to a song even if the singing isn't the best but if it has rubbish or no lyrics then it will annoy me because I'm one of those people who actually listens to the lyrics.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old May 26th, 2011, 2:55 am
Second Year

The voice is definitely a huge part of why I like certain songs/artists. Certain voices can make whole songs. Next to that I would have to say melody & lyrics are tied. Melody makes the song (& there are many good songs without lyrics), but when it comes to songs with lyrics, the lyrics themselves are a huge part for me. A song with good lyrics speaks oceans and move hearts.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)