Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

Utopia: Teddy Lupin

Old January 10th, 2009, 12:55 am
Fourth Year

Utopia: Teddy Lupin

Description: It's 19 years after the demise of Lord Voldemort, and orphaned Teddy Lupin is a quirky yet reserved young man living in the now utopian Wizarding World - but still not a day goes by without him thinking of the fate of his parents, or the constant teasing that his friend, Victoire Weasley, should be more than just a friend. However, for all the 'saccharine goodness' in the world, Teddy is about to learn that there will always be something sinister behind every closed door, and more importantly - this door is about to be opened. The ugly truth will be revealed. The people that he becomes involved with will alter his views forever and change him as a person, but not nessecarily for the better...

JAN 9th, 2009 ~ Hello, there! . Well, this is my second attempt at fanfiction, as you can see, it is set after DH. Just to clarify, I am simply borrowing the characters and world created by the wonderful J.K.Rowling.

Ok, without further ado:

Utopia: Teddy Lupin.

Chapter one: Til death do us part.

"He had flicked through the pages of his textbook and found the drawing, the one with a farmer forced to his knees, his neck brutally unhinged, and the creature, with its hellish fangs...and the blood. Vomit climbed the dry walls of his throat."

Screams of pain and war cries deafened those within miles of Hogwarts castle. For a school, a place of education, it was more like a battlefield. In fact, it was a battlefield. The grass that surrounded it was scorched, whether by real fire or by wizard hand, it was hard to tell. Wizards and witches, young and old, talented or not, were engaged in full combat, never a moment passing by where a streak of green light did not flash. The night sky, though glistening with the beauty of heaven’s light, was streaked with a ferocious red. Dawn was coming.

It was the only corridor that seemed undisturbed, thought the woman. Her bright hair, so pink it was almost scarlet, swished behind her as she carried her shaking legs up the stairs. The torches above her head held little warmth for her.

Sweat immediately poked through her forehead. He wasn’t here. Nymphadora
Tonks instantly felt tears sting the corners of her eyes, but she couldn’t cry. She wouldn’t. This wasn’t the time nor the –

Her thoughts were interrupted as a man’s yell echoed throughout the walls, making her spine tingle. Then flashes of red light as strained curses, one after the other, were bellowed out into the night.

“Remus,” she breathed, tightening her grip on the wand in her hand. Tonks sped down the hallway, listening to her footsteps beat in sync with her frantic heart. She turned a corner –

“Stupefy!”

She had missed it by an inch, ducking so violently that she almost knocked her skull against the stone floor. Her wand slipped from her fingers, rolling steadily across the ground until it stopped dead. Tonks’s breath billowed from her lips, her face contorting into pain, feeling her side burn something awful. She tensed with fright. Her entire body seemed to tremble with the idea of death…she knew it was close…

But the curse never came.

Tonks looked up, dark eyes glistening with sorrow, ready to receive her fate. But as she examined the man before her, her heart began to leap with euphoria. His thin frame was slightly drowned by the dark brown, slightly shabby robes that he wore. His coat of a similar colour was battered and faded greatly. Dust blanketed his shoulders and mouse-brown hair, aging him all the more. Then there was the scarlet blood that was smeared across his cheeks…but none of this fazed her. She loved him despite it.

As his eyes met hers he lowered his wand wearily.

“Remus,” she wheezed, with a hysterical smile. The tears began to roll quite freely from her cheeks. Unable to contain it, she released a laugh of pure joy, one from the gut, a laugh that was quite out of place in such a situation.

Then her smile faded as she looked at him. Remus was quite still, quite calm, yet Tonks’s heart hammered in her breast as she saw the blazing look in his brown eyes.

“Dora,” it was merely a whisper, but it made his voice all the more menacing. Remus swallowed, his voice shook – the man was riddled with fury. “I thought you were with Teddy.”

“Well, now I’m here,” Tonks replied, with an apologetic smile. “Harry needs my help - ”

“I told you to stay with Andromeda,” he said sharply, veins pulsating at the side of his face. Remus’s lips trembled with rage. “I told you to stay at home where it is safe!”

“Remus, it’s done,” she said, anger rising in her a little, “I’m needed here. There’s nothing you can - ”

“Where is our son?” he demanded, chest rising and falling as quickly as the blink of an eye. He was furious. “Where have you left our son?”

“He’s with my mum!” Tonks cried, “where else do you think I would leave him, Remus?”

There was an awful silence. Their eyes locked for a moment, and Remus, with the weight and determination of his wife’s gaze, seemed to understand her reasons. His face crumpled into despair.

He dropped his head into his hands wearily. “You shouldn’t have come, Dora. I told you not to…”

“Well, I did,” she answered quietly, stepping closer to her husband. Her eyes were glazed with tears as she reached up to his face with trembling fingers, mapping his scars with her fingertips, “Remus, I - ”

Tonks’s words were lost in the roar of another man’s. She felt Remus’s arm come across her, shielding her from whatever hex had just been aimed at her back. She landed hard on the ground, just in time to see Remus’s lips utter a word. A cloud of icy blue mist was suddenly expelled from the tip of his wand. A red stream of light collided with it with alarming force, disintegrating in an instant. It dissolved into nothingness like shards of glass turning to dust. Remus’s shield had blocked the opposing wizard’s jinx instantly.

“Dora, go!” Remus roared over his shoulder, sending a green hex to the death eater down the corridor. “Now run – don’t stop. Get out of here!”

Dora nodded. She scrambled to her feet clumsily, stumbling over her baggy robes. She halted for one moment, realizing with horror, that this may be the last time she would ever see Remus. She gazed at him sadly, memorizing everything about him…his movement, his eyes and face…

"Dora, don't waste time!" Remus screamed. Another trail of electric blue volted towards them. Remus snarled, lashing round with the ferocity of a viper, wand poised. The hex crumpled with the air of a dying spider. "Run - just go!"

“Remus,” she croaked, “I love you.”

Remus sent another hex soaring through the air, punching the death eater square in the breast, the air rushing out of his lungs in a ragged, terminal gasp. The death eater tumbled backwards, as stiff as a shop mannequin. Satisfied that he probably wouldn’t get up, Remus turned to her. The light from the approaching dawn suddenly streamed through a stained-glass window, illuminating his eyes. She would never forget those eyes. They were burned into the back of her skull forever, and always would be.

Remus smiled gravely. “I love you,” he said breathlessly. “And tell…tell Teddy that I love him, too. Now - ”

Behind him, a black shape rose…

“NO!” Tonk’s voice cracked as she tried desperately to hurl Remus out of the way. The death eater had got to his feet…raised his wand…

It was too late for anything.

Tonks turned her frantic eyes to her husband as a flash of light, emerald green, suddenly snaked around his entire body like a richly coloured serpent. Her heart shattered. Sobs mounted in her throat, one after the other, as she saw the life leave his eyes. Remus’s last breath was a gasping one, sharp and brutally short.

Remus Lupin fell. Silent, unmoving.

Tonks leapt forward, catching the slumping body. The dead weight forced her to her knees, Remus's head lolling lifelessly into her lap. Eyes closed. “No…” she wailed, “Remus – wake up!” she beat her fist against his chest, tears falling off the end of her nose and onto his expressionless face.

And then suddenly a cackle that made the hairs on her neck stand on end sounded, ringing in her ears, and Nymphadora Tonks saw the green light envelop her too.

Teddy Lupin awoke with a jolt, his shirt almost plastered against his torso with sweat. He tore himself free of the covers and sat and the end of his bed, sweat-drenched, gasping for breath. He rubbed his temples, trying to banish the haunting thoughts in his mind, trying to stop the pain, almost like a perpetual migraine. He raised his brown eyes to the photograph on his bedside table.

There, before his eyes, Remus and Nymphadora Lupin. The werewolf and the metamorphagus. Smiling, blinking, moving, as if they were really alive. In his mother, he saw the face of a fresh-faced young woman. In his father, a proud man, even if he appeared slightly withered and older than his years. In the picture, though not as obvious, was Teddy himself – in the shape of his mother’s rounded stomach.

That picture had been taken nineteen years ago.

A smile softened his features for a passing moment, and then his face was set like stone. With a frown carved into his youthful face, he flourished his wand towards his bedroom window. The curtains flew open, flooding the room with morning light. As he had expected, the sky was a dismal grey. The bleak heaven’s stretched away across London.

He groaned and scratched his head, about to collapse into the mattress when a faint knock on his door sounded.

"Come in, Andromeda,” he grunted. Even though she was his Grandmother, he hadn’t called her ‘Grandma’ since he was a boy. Andromeda just seemed right to him. His door opened with a slight squeal and the aged face of a kind-natured woman poked through.

The pity in her eyes made him redden slightly.

"Are you alright, Teddy?” she asked, a sad smile playing about her face.

Teddy shrugged and pulled a new shirt over his head, “I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.” He caught his reflection in the mirror across from him. Teddy’s light brown hair and dark eyes faced him, as well as his strong jaw. Across his neck was a thin scar, like hardened candlewax, that he had got from tripping over his own feet and cutting himself. Andromeda always said that he was as clumsy as Dora had been.

His Grandmother’s gentle voice interrupted his thoughts, “Ted, you do know what day this is, love?”

Teddy’s stomach gave a horrific lurch. Of course he knew what day it was, how could he forget it? He never would forget as long as he lived! Teddy turned to Andromeda, smiling grimly, “Course, I’m going up to the cemetery later.”

“Do you want me to go with you?”

Teddy shook his head, strands of his hair falling into his eyes. Andromeda had asked him this question ever since he was sixteen. “No, thank you. I think I’ll be able to cope on my own this time.”

His Grandmother nodded curtly, “Well, there’ll be some breakfast downstairs if you need it.”

As Teddy heard his door close, he put his head in his hands. The idea of going today was as haunting, as painful and as heart breaking as it had always been. The idea of visiting their graves was about as inviting as getting undressed in public. Teddy let out a growl, battling with his emotions, clenching his fists so tight his nails dug into his palms. He glanced back to the photograph of his parents, and then to his reflection.

At once he saw his father in his face. It sickened him to look at himself in his true form; the memory of having no memory was anguish beyond repair. Immediately he felt his skin tingle and his hair suddenly flushed vibrant turquoise. It was easier this way.

The wind was cold against his flesh, blowing knives into his shirt as he stepped off of the muggle bus. Surrounding him was not the busyness of London he was used to, but countryside that was blanketed in mist and smelled fresh, the humid air calming and tranquil.

Teddy had dressed quickly enough to avoid breakfast. His stomach was already churning, his heart felt as if it was about to leap into his throat. His Adam’s apple wobbled as he swallowed shakily, taking in the building not far from him.

A small church, the doors crafted with thick, dark wood. The pathway was strewn with gravel, with bits of wild grass poking through here and there. A tree, with naked, gnarled branches, was bent over like an elderly giant and the roots were clearly visible, snaking up the sides of the church like ivy. Teddy’s mood darkened as he pushed open the black gate, stepping into the church grounds. The gravel crunched beneath him.

Teddy’s eyes were fixed on the church, gaze full of anger and hatred. He didn’t believe that any God would do this to a child, take his parents away from him before he even knew them. He suspected Harry knew the feeling, too. Andromeda had always said that it wasn’t God’s doing, and that it was nobody’s fault.

Teddy scowled, trying very hard to muster the strength not to shout out in
anger and release every tangled emotion that held onto his soul. His fingers tightened relentlessly over the flowers he was holding. Daffodils. Some birds twittered overhead and one landed on a gravestone, ruffling its feathers. Teddy glanced at the large back raven; admiring the way the dim sunlight reflected wonderfully in the ebony wings, its dark eyes were as two buttons.

Then he caught the name carved upon the gravestone. Although it was partially covered with webs of miniscule, blue flowers, he could clearly read the name:

Nymphadora Tonks.
Beloved wife, mother, daughter and friend.
She will reside in our hearts forever.

The one next to it made Teddy’s breath catch in his throat:

Remus John Lupin.
Beloved husband, father, son and friend.
Now you can finally sleep.

Teddy angrily shooed away the raven, which started with fright and launched into the air with a screech. He kneeled at his mother’s graveside, glaring wildly at the dirt and soil. It was never meant to be like this.

He laid the flowers down on Tonks’s grave and breathed in, trying to take in the scent of the countryside. The air no longer tasted sweet, now it was bitter, as bitter as the thoughts that saturated his mind. Teddy pulled away the blue weeds from his mother’s graves and threw them elsewhere, so that he could finally stare at the name. He wanted to stare at it forever, just being here felt like being a fraction closer to meeting them.

On his father’s grave he laid a photograph of himself, like he had done every year he had grown. It was not a photo of his turquoise-haired mask that he hid behind, but one of his real self. He did not feel as sickened by his appearance now. What he admitted to his father in secret, the fact that this was not who he really was, he could never admit to his Grandmother, to Harry or not even to Victoire, one of his closest friends.

Teddy led on his back beside both his parents, watching the workings of the sky above him. Time passed with the clouds, and the evening started to dawn. He could already see the stars starting to wink down at him from the heavens. As the wind started to pick up he heard the church gate protest as the rusting metal screeched wildly.

“Excuse me?”

Teddy started as he heard the voice, sitting up at once and dusting off his jeans. Before him was a young woman around his age, with caramel coloured hair that curled at her shoulders, casually coifed. Her eyes were a mossy green, with pale freckles peppered across her pixie-like visage. She was smiling at him. Teddy noticed that two of her teeth were very subtly pointed, which was the only blemish to her beautiful face. Teddy frowned.

“Yes?” he answered, sitting up.

Teddy?” she asked, eyes wide. He found himself wondering whether the girl had any veela blood in her - she was very attractive. “Teddy Lupin?”

“Well, that depends on who's asking,” he replied, with a smirk.

“Oh, no, no,” she laughed, “It’s nothing weird. It’s just – I was at Hogwarts with you…you were in the year above me.”

He smiled apologetically, wishing that she would leave him in peace to grieve. “Sorry…I don’t remember you,” he said quietly, “What’s your name again?”

“Anna Grivsky,” she said, with a strange gleam to her eyes. “I was a Ravenclaw?”

Teddy shook his head. “Sorry, no,” he grunted, leaning back onto the grass. On any other day he probably would jump at the chance to talk to her, but today there could be nothing more irritatingly inconvenient than a good-looking girl. The silence that followed was awkward, intolerable. He listened to the rattling of the naked branches around him, and the whistle of the wind as it flew into his hair and between the slender blades of grass. It was not long until Anna spoke again:

“I’m sorry about your parents,” it was barely audible. “They were really good people. I wish my mum and dad were that great.”

Teddy felt the warmth of her as she sat by his side. It irritated him even more, but he didn’t move away. Her scent met his senses…wild flowers and earth, like she spent every waking moment in a forest. “No, you don’t. You really don’t. ”

Anna stood, the wind toying with her hair. Teddy noticed that the sky had gone almost black, save for the moon and the stars. It was like a piece of ink-drenched parchment. Teddy thought of his father, and how much pain the moon must’ve caused him. Despite its radiance he despised it. Being a werewolf, he imagined, was probably one of the worse curses that could ever plague your life. He sighed, facing his back to her.

“You look like you could do with a drink,” he heard Anna say. “There’s a place down the road if you want to go?”

“No, thanks,” Teddy replied, irritated. Why wouldn’t she just go away?

“Please,” she pressed, a little firmer than he had expected, because he sat up to meet her eyes. “It’s dark, and I’m all alone," she finished, her teeth gnawing at her lip playfully.

Teddy surveyed the expanse of night above. His eyes were star-stained. Part of him wanted to accept - why shouldn't he have a drink with a pretty girl? It's what his father would have wanted - he assumed, anyway. But Andromeda would be wondering where he was. He shrugged the thought away, his turquoise hair falling elastically over his eyes, and reached for his coat.

The blunt solidity of his wand pressed against his thigh pocket.

Anna shifted excitedly, "So...you'll come?" she smiled.

"Gladly," Teddy replied, withdrawing his wand. "But only one drink though - I have to be back...Lumos."

The wand suddenly expelled a plume of blindingly white light. Teddy held it at the side of his face, so that the shadows of his long eyelashes elongated over the angled precipice of his cheeks. He took one last glance at his parents’ graves before walking along the country road alongside Anna. It was utter blackness. He smirked as he looked at the young woman’s face – every feature was calm and placid, as casual as if she was walking in broad daylight. There was no denying that the darkness was something she definitely wasn’t afraid of.

She likes you, he thought, with a bit of triumph. They walked in silence for some time.

“People used to say you were a metamorphagus at school,” Anna began, tentatively. “Is it true?”

Teddy cocked an eyebrow and jabbed the wand into his hair, which was even more brightly embellished. “I'm sorry, how many people have you met with bright blue hair?" he chortled.

"Well, if you live in London, quite a few actually," she winked. "I just thought you were some sort of Punk."

Anna smiled, once again, the white lozenges of her teeth stroking her bottom lip, and so very pointed. Teddy's body tensed as he looked at them. He was wary. Her beauty was almost threateningly so. He had read about vampires once in defence against the dark arts. He had flicked through the pages of his textbook and found the drawing, the one with a farmer forced to his knees, his neck brutally unhinged, and the creature, with its hellish fangs...and the blood. Vomit climbed the dry walls of his throat.

He had hated the subject. Hated the fact that his own father had taught it and he had never experienced his lectures. Teddy ignored the sense of foreboding and walked on, trying to banish the thoughts of fangs puncturing flesh and bone…

"You’re thinking about my teeth, aren’t you?” Anna suddenly said, colour rising in her cheeks. It wasn’t really a question, more of a statement.

Teddy’s heart missed a beat. He was about to answer her when she spoke again, this time her voice like a knife edge.

"It’s alright,” she said, stiffly. Her green eyes (which were considerably brighter in the night) told different. From the mossy green he had sworn he had perceived they were now vivid, garish - and horrifying.

“They weren’t always like this,” Anna continued, “ I’ll tell you how I got them one day - oh, and in advance, can I just say that I am sorry?”

Teddy frowned, amused. “Sorry for what?”

The blood in his veins started to freeze. Anna's magnificence was suddenly diminished by a wicked smile that crossed her lips. Before Teddy could even think, three cloaked figures rose from the reeds, wands held high.

STUPEFY!”

And his world went black.

Well, there you go. Little bit of a weird first chapter, and you might think you know what's happening, but you might not...

Oh, and I think I know what you might be thinking: WHERE IS VICTOIRE?

Don't worry, Victoire will feature in this

Utopia: Teddy Lupin - 2009+

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

And if you're feeling it, take a look at my art!

Last edited by Dandinigirl13; October 29th, 2010 at 10:51 pm. Reason: Some grammatical errors
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2009, 8:03 pm
Fourth Year

Re: The dark side of the moon: Teddy Lupin

Hi, guys!

A huge thank you to:

Secunda, JJFinch, RemusJ, wandaXmaximof, NoraLupin, hplova15165, mel_trueblue, skrewtmaster, kittling, PureBloodGirl, Hermione3000 and Sibbelien!

And to Jess....I love you.... xD Sorry for forgetting you! LOL

And of course, anyone else is welcome to read! Oh, and if anyone spots a spelling mistake etc, then PLEASE tell me, i was in a bit of a rush so i may have made some mistakes...

Chapter Two: Markus

With a wince, Teddy opened his eyes. A distant throbbing pulsated at the back of his skull, sending pain spiralling through all the nerves of his body. He blinked vigorously, trying in vain to control his blurred focus. Even that hurt. Tentatively, he moved his fingertips, nails scraping across the cold ground beneath him. It was flat, and even though his other senses were at a disadvantage, there was no mistaking the musky smell of cement and stone. He was in a house.

With a horrific realisation, he remembered what had happened. In his mind’s eye, he saw Anna, her terrific green eyes, his parents’ graves, and the red light driving into his chest. Teddy swallowed and dragged in a heaving breath, the grate of air against his throat harsh and jagged, like the surface of an ancient cliff. Suddenly he blinked again, and he saw everything.

Teddy sat up with alarm. He was in a cellar. The walls were plastered with dull grey, only illuminated by the flickering light bulb shining above like a blistering sun. The only other thing in the room was a wine rack, shrouded with cobwebs, the bottles well and truly drained of their content. The air was damp and humid, thick with blankets of dust.

Suddenly he heard voices, the groan of wooden stairs. Teddy looked around him quickly – there was nowhere for him to go, nowhere to hide. He was about to stand when the cellar door swung open with a distressed shriek. Anna stepped through. Teddy glowered at her, not allowing himself to be softened by her beauty. Anna looked at him long and hard, standing quite still, until she turned back towards the open door.

“Markus!” she cried. Teddy felt a pang of surprise: her voice was timid, fearful. “Markus, he’s awake!”

As Anna’s words receded into silence, he watched her sit carefully on a wooden stool, gentle hands folded in her lap, toying with a ring on her left hand. She’s married, Teddy instantly knew. Her face was unsettling, and he saw a glint of sadness in her eyes as she gnawed on her lip. Anna’s caramel-coloured hair was now harnessed into an unruly garden of tresses on her head. Teddy’s breath was suddenly drawn out of him as he saw a red mark, glaring and sore, stretched across her cheek in the shape of a handprint.

Teddy hadn’t forgotten her words. “Who’s Markus?” he demanded.

She seemed to flinch at the mention of Markus’s name, for her body suddenly became rigid like a shop dummy. She shook her head, biting her lip again. Anna didn’t answer.

She didn’t have to. Teddy jumped as he heard a series of impatient footsteps slamming against the stairs again, magnified by the echoing of the vacuous cellar. It was obvious, though, Teddy observed, that more than one person was coming. His heart was thudding with anticipation, his heartbeat ringing in his ears.

He had to clench his fists very tightly to control his fear as a tall figure stepped into the cellar. Teddy looked at his knuckles: white as snow. He heard the figure step forward, taking tantalizing steps towards him, slowly, eerily. Teddy looked to the floor to see a pair of mud-caked boots.

The man before him was tall and broad. He was thickset, and heavy, angular brows obscured a pair of dark eyes, mirroring the dim bulb hanging just next to him. His brows were furrowed; prominent stress lines diminished his somewhat handsome exterior. Teddy noticed, that under the bulb light, vague white scars, like ivory, glinted over his face and neck. His skin was lightly tanned, yet his night-black hair held strands of grey too advanced for his years.

The man clasped his hands together in triumph, “ Lupin,” he grinned, a cruel glint in his eye. His voice was rough and husky, and Teddy saw, with a shudder, that the man’s teeth were also pointed like Anna’s. Suddenly an image came fleeting into Teddy’s head. A big, rangy man with matted hair and whiskers…long, yellowish nails, voice raspy and bark-like…

Teddy’s throat almost closed up. It couldn’t be true – he was in Azkaban! Teddy frowned, shaking with anger at the name about to rise from his lips, “Fenrir…Greyback?”

The man’s boisterous laughter filled the room. Teddy looked around him and saw that the others in the cellar were exchanging glances warily. Anna’s jade-green eyes were fixed intently on the cellar floor, seemingly frozen by the sound of the man’s voice.

The laughter stopped. His lip curled with disgust, “No,” he said flatly, “Fenrir Greyback is my father. I’m Markus.”

Teddy’s heart was throwing itself against his ribcage. He brought himself to his feet quickly, staggering back. The others behind Markus suddenly moved as if to chase him, but Markus simply held up a hand, chuckling. “Let him. He’s hardly a threat.”

Teddy fumbled in his back pocket for his wand, but found nothing but empty space. Horror filled him. He glared back at Markus.

“Loose something?” Markus smirked, holding up Teddy’s wand. “If I were you, I’d stay still. I don’t think you’re in a position to struggle.”

Teddy faltered, then drew himself up regally, defeated. As he observed the many people standing before him, he noticed the glint of their teeth, the strange colouring of their eyes, and the dirt under their nails. Werewolves.

“What do you want from me?” Teddy spat.

Markus smiled grimly, “your allegiance.”

“Allegiance to what?” Teddy spluttered. Then it came to him. “You?”

“Catches on fast, doesn’t he, boys?” Markus said, and a ripple of laughter ensued. After a moment, Markus added, “Like his father – ”

“You have nothing to say about my father!” Teddy roared. “Nothing. D’you understand? You’re nothing!”

Markus raised an eyebrow, pressing a hand to his chest in mock hurt, “I’m nothing? Is that a mark against me, or a mark against my kind?”

“Both.” Teddy replied, lips dripping in poison. “You ruined my father’s life.”

“Ruined? Lycanthropy is a blessing! It separates us from you. It’s an honour your father never deserved!” Markus’s lips curled into an awful snarl.

Teddy growled, fingers bunched into fists. He made to leap on Markus, wanting to tear him apart, to kill him, but Markus was too quick. Markus’s slender fingers held a wand, and with a flick and an utterance, iron shackles were biting into Teddy’s fists. Teddy was chained to the wall, like an animal, like a dog. His muscles screamed in agony as he tried to resist the chain. Failing and wheezing, Teddy fell onto his knees, head cast to the floor.

“Men who behave like dogs are treated like them,” Markus snapped, raising Teddy’s chin with his boot. Teddy squinted as the garish bulb light glared into his eyes, and he shook strands of turquoise hair from his face. “Now are you going to co-operate, or do I have to taste flesh before the full moon rises?”

Teddy stiffened. “I’m listening.”

“Good man,” Markus growled, scratching his chin with yellowing nails. “Now, your father – he was a good guy, it wasn’t his fault that your Grandfather thought it was clever to insult my father. Naturally, he was bitten – get over it. Just build a bridge, and get over it. Ok?"

Teddy clenched his fists so hard he was sure his skin might split. “What are you talking about?” he spat.

“Equality,” Markus said sourly. “Werewolves aren’t exactly the most popular folk. The Ministry hates us. I heard your father had to resign from Hogwarts because of what he was. Most of us here have been disowned at some point, and none of us work. Why? Nobody wants a flee-bitten piece of scum working for them! I suppose it didn’t help that we chose to fight for The Dark Lord - ”

“They murdered innocent people!” Teddy interrupted, voice strained. He regretted it when Markus cast him a glance which almost tore the air from his lungs, it was dangerous…he was sure he saw the shadow of a wolf pass through his face.

Markus continued, the expression on his face solemn, “It didn’t help that we worked for Voldemort, but we had every reason to. He offered us freedom, the chance to be on top. And what did the ministry have to offer us? Nothing. The very reason Remus Lupin died.”

“My father died to make the world a better place,” Teddy said, feeling emotion pulsate within him. They were the exact same words Harry had said to him, and he would never forget them. Harry Potter had been more of a father to Teddy than he ever knew. Teddy looked up into the merciless eyes of Markus, “the world is a better place now.” His words fell out with a whistle.

“Is it?” Markus snarled, eyes filled with lunacy. “Look around you. There are children here that have been thrown out by their parents, people whose family’s have been disowned, been sacked and tortured – is it really a better place? The prejudice is still here, Lupin. It’s because of the ministry, and people like your wonderful Harry Potter that this is happening and Voldemort is gone! Voldemort would’ve given us what we wanted. There would be no prejudice, no hatred. Your father went through it, tried to stop it, but let’s face it – he died for nothing.”

Teddy was shaking, so much that the chains around his wrists were jingling gently. Was Markus right? His head was saturated with doubt, like he had been kicked in the skull by a Thestral. He didn’t know what to think. What was Markus saying? That everything that his father had fought for had been a lie? It wasn’t Harry’s fault…was it?

“What – what are you actually trying to tell me?” he stammered.

Markus smirked, “simply that we are going to take up where Voldemort left off. People need to pay for this. And we want you with us, alongside us, fighting against people who think we don’t belong here – think of your father! It’s what he would’ve wanted.”

Teddy did think of Remus Lupin. He thought of the picture in his bedroom. His father, slightly withered but deliriously happy to be there, his soft brown eyes smiling up at Teddy as if they were really looking at one another. Teddy supposed that deep in his heart he knew that Remus Lupin’s happy expression was just a façade, concealing the years of pain, horror and prejudice within…but he never actually thought of it in the way Markus did. The war was all for nothing – if his father was still alive today he would still be an outcast. Voldemort may have been the most powerful dark wizard of all time, may have deserved death, but he offered things to the werewolves that the ministry and society would never. Freedom.

If it weren’t for Harry Potter, then maybe it would have been possible…

Teddy suddenly felt disgusted in himself as a wave of uncontrollable anger intoxicated him – it was not Harry’s fault, but Markus’s ideas – they made sense! It was terrifying.

A voice dragged him back to reality.

“So what do you say?” Markus’s voice rung clear and sharp like the blade of a dagger. Teddy didn’t answer, his gaze shifting from werewolf to werewolf. For the first time, Anna was watching him, her eyes, framed by an abundance of gold eyelashes, were glinting with tears. Teddy noticed silently, that the wedding ring was halfway down her finger, as if she was having trouble deciding whether or not to remove it.

At last Teddy shook his head, “I don’t know.” He looked away from Anna and then to Markus, “Do I have to decide now?”

Markus shook his head, an impassive expression plastered on his features. “You have until the full moon rises to decide whether you wish to finish what your father started.” With a flourish of his wand, the shackles evaporated into green mist. Teddy rubbed his wrists, gritting his teeth.

“How do I get out?” Teddy asked.

“Ralston will show you,” Markus clicked his fingers regally and one of the werewolves stepped forwards. His hair was the colour of dark chocolate, so dark against the startling brightness of his amber eyes. A thick, red scar ploughed its way through his jaw line. Warily, Teddy tailed Ralston out of the room.

The stench of wet dog met his senses as he advanced up the flight of wooden stairs.

Anna kept her gaze firmly at her feet as she heard Teddy Lupin and Ralston depart. A lengthy moment of time passed before she heard Markus’s voice again. It frightened her, the way his voice seemed to penetrate her soul and make her feel like a child. She flinched as his lips formed her name:

“Anna,” Markus said calmly, though his voice was flickering with disguised fury, “why aren’t you wearing your ring?”

Anna raised her eyes for the briefest of moments, just enough to catch her husband’s black eyes boring into hers, alight with anger. Her voice shook, and tears clung desperately to her eyelashes. “Sorry…” she whispered, slipping the ring back onto her finger hastily. The light reflected in her dark eyes like her last hope. She looked up and swallowed.

“Go.” Markus ordered, and the other werewolves shuffled awkwardly out of the room. When their footsteps ceased, Markus sighed angrily, folding his arms. “Are you trying to embarrass me?” he asked Anna, advancing on her like a vulture, “Are you trying to embarrass me in front of my own clan? What is wrong with you?”

“No…” Anna wiped away a tear quickly. Markus peered down at her. “It’s just…you’re using him. You’re using him to get to Harry Potter! It’s not Teddy’s – ”

Markus howled with rage at the use of Teddy’s name. His pupils dilated as he spluttered, “It’s him isn’t it? Lupin. You spend less than an hour with him and you’re already taking your ring off - ”

“No!” Anna cried. “No, Markus, it isn’t that! I love you!” She stood and tried to take his hand, but he caught her wrist in his fist, stopping her. She squealed. He was nothing of the man she had met when she was seventeen, none of the charm, the happiness or life seemed to be in his eyes, the way it used to be. Anna loved him despite it, and hated herself for it.

Markus snarled and hugged her to him tightly, the grip on her waist crushing.
“It’s alright,” Markus growled into her ear, “when all of this is over and my father is set free, you can go with dear little Lupin, if that’s what you want. You’re nothing to me!”

Anna recoiled in horror, feeling tears fall in rivulets over her cheeks. “No…Markus, please…”

Markus sneered in disgust and peeled her away from him, disappearing through the door. Anna gazed at the door for some time, wanting to run. She had given up everything for Markus, everything. She had surrendered her life to him by becoming one of his clan, loved him, and somehow his personality had become warped into a monster she didn’t know. Anna wanted nothing to do with Teddy Lupin, Fenrir or Harry Potter. She just wanted Markus.

Suddenly the cellar door burst open, screaming on its rusty hinges. She started with an
alarmed yell, in case it was Markus in another rage.

It was Ralston. His amber eyes shone like liquid gold, framed by furrowed brows. He looked worried. His dark hair was swept back across his face, and his breathing was shallow. He was obviously back from escorting Teddy.

“Anna,” he gasped, “Are you alright?”

She nodded. Turning away from him, she erased the tears.

“Did Markus hurt you?”

Anna shook her head, feeling her fuse become sharp. Why couldn’t he go away? She wanted to cry alone, without an audience to her humiliation.

Ralston hesitated, “Can I help?” he said softly.

“You can help by leaving me alone!”

Ralston blinked, stung. It was only when Anna heard the door close behind her, she knew, with a pang of guilt, that Ralston was gone. Then she succumbed to her tears and collapsed onto the cellar floor.

Well, there you have it! Hope you enjoyed chapter two!! It was a bit weird, I know, but hey - we're all weird at some point!

Feedback can be left here: Ralston is a funny name

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

Last edited by Dandinigirl13; January 10th, 2010 at 1:54 pm.
Old March 21st, 2010, 1:27 pm
Fourth Year

Re: The Dark Side Of The Moon: Teddy Lupin

Hi there! WOW it's been a long time!Thank you to everyone who has reviewed so far, I'm sorry for the wait!

I'mma bit rusty, so don't be too hard on me ;D

Chapter Three: The Burrow

Markus sat slouched in his armchair, eyes reflecting the firelight. His leg was over one arm lazily, like a king on his idle throne. Anger thrashed through his veins. He put his head in his hands, rubbing his forehead.

“Is this how you betray me?” he said flatly, staring absently into the flames.

“No, Markus,” answered a shaky voice behind him. Anna. “I would never betray you.”

Markus sneered, scratching his chin with one, yellowing nail. She was nothing to him. Nothing but a dead weight.

“You already did,” Markus said, eyes dancing with lunacy. The aftertaste of alcohol was bitter, sour on his tongue. Fire roared in the pit of his stomach. He swallowed angrily. “You say you love me, but yet you won’t do one single task for me? What is wrong with you? What is going on, in that stupid, brainless, little head of yours?”

“Nothing, I - ”

“I wonder why I even bother,” Markus said sourly, still glaring at the flames as if they had offended him. “You won’t even show me you love me by doing one little, tiny thing. Are you any use to me at all? You can’t even have kids.” He spat.

Anna’s eye twitched, one tear rolled down her face.

Markus scoffed, “Oh, spare me the waterworks, for Gods’ sake, woman.” Anna swiped at her tears angrily.

He knew he had hit her soft spot. Markus swung his leg over the armchair, standing. He turned to face her, his hair plastered to his face with sweat, his clothes were clinging to his muscled body. His broad bulk blocked out the light of the flames that now licked at his heels. She didn’t look at him.

He grinned.

She was very beautiful, he had always thought that. He liked her even more when she was frightened – her caramel coloured hair, like a river of honey, fell around her narrow shoulders, curls stroking the sides of her face. His eyes traced her face, to the thickly lashed eyes and lightly freckled nose, to the gaunt knife-edges of her cheekbones. Her arms were folded defensively across her tiny chest: she was afraid. Helpless, small. He liked it.

He had first met Anna in a wizarding bar. He had watched her over his drink for over an hour, wondering what it would be like to run his hands through that soft, curling hair, what it would be like to kiss those rose-pink lips, to touch her flesh.

He also wondered what it would feel like to bite her.

Markus shrugged of the memory with a flick of his head. He took a few steps towards her, savouring the satisfaction that she flinched, her legs twitching as if to move back. Fear, she was enveloped in it. He drew in a lungful of her scent, touching his thumb to her chin. Her eyes suddenly snapped up to his, green eyes reflecting the light, like a fire ripping through trees and bracken and wood. Markus inclined his head, pressing his lips briefly to hers, tasting her. He felt her lips tighten.

“Now,” he whispered, drawing away, “Will you do this one, simple, task for me?”

Anna didn’t answer. Markus felt the anger rise in his chest. She quavered.

“Fine,” he hissed, lip curling. “You give me nothing.”

“It’s only what you have given me over the past year,” she retorted quietly. The look of realization on her face showed that she had effectively signed her own death warrant.

she straightened a little.“You’ve thrown me about, forced me to carry out your little plans, used me as nothing but a…a - ” she stopped immediately as she caught the menacing sparkle to his eyes.

On any other occasion, he would’ve roared at her, lashing out with such a force she would never question him again. It was what she deserved. But for now, he would have to win her over. Markus needed her to do this. It was just that she would need some persuading. Women were all the same; he’d just need to go and buy her flowers to make it right.

He wrestled with his anger and he dropped a kiss onto her forehead. She didn’t react. He moved to her nose, finally her lips -

No!” she spluttered, pushing against his chest. His lips peeled away as he staggered backwards. Markus gawped furiously - how dare she?

“Anna,” he muttered darkly, “ I’ve had enough of you’re little games, princess. You will do this for me whether you like it or not - ”

“No, I won’t do it! I won’t hurt him, Markus,” he saw the hardness in her eyes, “ I am not your slave - ”

“BUT YOU ARE MY WIFE!” He roared, spit spraying from his lips. Markus’s hand suddenly went out, aiming his wand. She backed against the wall, eyes wide with fear. He seriously contemplated hexing her – any way or another; she would do what he wanted. She was his to control. Imperio was just a flick of the tongue away.

Markus’s chest rose and fell heavily like the wheezing of a dying man. He wrestled with his conscience, before lowering his wand. “You are my wife. And unless you give this to Lupin you will no longer be so.”

Suddenly in his free hand appeared a glass vial, filled with crystalline-blue liquid. It glinted in the firelight.

“Last chance,” he said dangerously. “Take it and give it to him.”

Anna hesitated. She took a step towards him. Fingers reached out -

“Markus,” someone gasped breathlessly, bursting into the room.

Markus’s head snapped towards the man standing in the doorway. His upper lip curled into a snarl as he saw Ralston’s amber eyes staring back at him. Filth. Markus let a smirk curl his lips as he looked at the thick scar on Markus’s jaws – where barbarian humans set their dogs on one another, they unleashed themselves. Wolf Fights were a terrific thing, he remembered, and the sensation of his claws driving through Ralston’s flesh filled him.

Without warning, Anna suddenly withdrew her fingers from the glass vial at once, turning sharply with a flourish of flaming hair. She shuffled past Ralston, who stood aside to let her through.

Both men’s eyes followed her until she was gone.

Ralston cleared his throat hesitantly, “Alexander wants to see you,” he muttered, dark eyes-downcast.

Markus noticed that his face was flustered. Ignoring it, he nodded. “Fine.
Now get out of my sight, ” he waved a hand.

Ralston’s fists clenched tightly. He made to close the door behind him.

Markus’s voice suddenly broke the silence: “In fact, wait,” he started.

Ralston held the door open, feeling anger flicker in ever muscle. His grip tightened on the handle.

“Yes, Markus?” He growled hotly. There was something in his eyes that told even though he stood tall and with an almost regal stance, he was at the other’s mercy.

Markus’s black eyes probed into Ralston’s. He could normally read anyone on a first meeting, but Ralston, never. As if they were two wild dogs squaring up against one another, claws poised, teeth barred, it was only a matter of time until one of them would strike the other. Again.

Ralston’s mouth twitched nervously as Markus brandished the glass vial. He gave a wicked smirk, “Do you know what this is?”

Ralston raised an eyebrow.

The morning air numbed him to the bone. Teddy sighed with relief as he looked up and saw the familiar brickwork and gardens that surrounded his home. The grey sky overhead held dark clouds and flocks of birds that squawked eagerly over London. Pigeons scavenged on cigarette butts, tossing them aside when they realised it wasn’t food.

Teddy’s head was saturated with Markus’s words. A throbbing ache worked through his entire body from walking, radiating outwards and touching every nerve end. It had been dark when Ralston, the werewolf from Markus’s clan had lead him outside. Teddy would’ve apparated, but he had needed the time to think. The walk had done some good.

He refused to believe that the werewolves were treated so badly. Harry - the Minister even – would never allow it. A growl rumbled in his throat.

Then why were Markus’s clan living underground? Like animals?

He didn’t know what to do. He pushed all memory of the previous night to the
back of his mind; he had to forget about it. Lock it away. If he did that, it would never bother him again. He inserted the key to the front door, and it grated in the lock.

As soon as Teddy opened the door, he heard a relieved shout, and was immediately thrown off-guard by a powerful embrace. There was a slight smell of flour and milk as Andromeda drew back.

“Teddy, you’re alright!” Her eyes, surrounded by intricate wrinkles, were glazed with tears. “I thought something had happened!” she kissed his cheek.

“I’m fine, Andromeda,” Teddy said quietly. Blood boiled around his heart, yet
he still felt the pale hue of sickness draining his face.

Andromeda raised an eyebrow wearily, scrutinising every tired shadow his face.

“You look dreadful,” she sighed, raising a pair of round spectacles to her face. Teddy nearly snorted when her eyes suddenly magnified to twice their normal size. “Where have you been?”

“Out. It doesn’t matter,” Teddy waved away her question with a shake of the head. He was drained…his mind was replaying the same images over and over in his minds’ eye. His parents’ graves…Anna’s face…the stunning spells driving into his chest…Markus…

Andromeda gave him a questioning look as she disappeared down the hallway.

He shook his head, drowning out his thoughts. What he needed was sleep. As Teddy made to go upstairs he caught his reflection in the hallway mirror. His eyes were nestled on top of prominent dark circles. But that wasn’t what bothered him.

His hair was brown. He snarled.

Teddy screwed up his face, closing his eyes. He concentrated hard. His skin tingled as the magic began to lap at his nerve-ends, flowing through his fingertips, arms, legs, feet, like the electricity vaulting through the wire. He opened his eyes. Turquoise, the way he liked it. Teddy flattened it irritably.

He made to go upstairs.

“Where d’you think you’re going?” Andromeda called from the kitchen. She sounded wounded.

“To bed - I’ve not slept.”

“Well, that’s all good and well for you,” Andromeda said huffily, throwing a pink scarf over her neck and appearing at the staircase.“But you’re forgetting something. We said we’d go to the Weasleys’ for dinner. Victoire will be there.” She gave a knowing smile.

Teddy rolled his eyes. “I’ve told you time and time again,” he said indignantly, “we’re friends, nothing more.”

“So were Ron and Hermione, once,” she remarked, sliding a lipstick across her
lips. “Look at them now, married with children...” she tittered.

“Yeah, well,” Teddy snapped, “Victoire and me are different. I’ve known her since she was born. It’d be wrong.”

“If you say so, Ted, if you say so. Grab yourself some floo powder while
you’re ahead.”

Teddy screwed his eyes shut, feeling the hours of tiredness throb in his skull. He wandered into the wonderfully lit kitchen, his hands fumbling for the floo powder bowl. He had always hated floo networks; it sent him into a state of nausea that was reminiscent of being kicked in a very unsavoury place. He shuffled into the tightly enclosed fire place, his shoulders now too broad to fit.

His mouth moved, the powder fell, and then he was drowning in emerald flames.

The gag reflex of his gut jumping to his throat was Teddy’s first thought as he crashed into the kitchen of the Burrow. Someone gave a startled scream and shifted in their chair, and when his dazzled eyes readjusted, he was met with a young woman, around seventeen. Her navy pullover was dark against the strawberry-blonde of her long hair, poker-straight. Her skin was as clear as milk, with a small, slightly pointed nose and large, glistening blue eyes. Freckles left from the end of summer were still peppered her face and hands.

“TEDDY!”

He was hoisted from the kitchen floor into a tight hug. Victoire was a tall and lean girl for her age, and he had always teased her about it in the past. It was only playful banter. Victoire was like a younger sister to him.

Her face creased into a smile as she stepped back, “How’re you? I’ve not seen you since your birthday!”

Teddy pushed the formidable thoughts of wolves to the back of his mind. “Fine,” he lied. “I’ve been working at The Leaky Cauldron for about a month or two.”

“Great!” she answered happily, “What do you do? Barman? Manager?”

Teddy snorted, “Yeah, I’m a cleaner, Victoire.”

He laughed at the look of shock on her face. The Leaky Cauldron was just a bit of extra money for when he was accepted into medicinal magic. He was hoping to train at St.Mungo’s at some point; it was something that he could prove himself in. His eyes moved around the Weasley’s kitchen, dimly lit, yet extremely comforting. The smell of roast potatoes made his toes curl with wanting. The kitchen table was strewn with books and ink and schoolwork, but Victoire had been doing anything but working…

“What’s this?” he said curiously, his hands moving towards the stack of parchment. Victoire knew immediately.

“No! Teddy, it’s nothing, leave it…” she pleaded, “Seriously, I - ”

Teddy covered her mouth with his hand and moved her books aside to reveal the notepad underneath. Sketches of dragons. Brilliant sketches. Victoire sighed as in relief.

“They’re rubbish,” she said hastily, scratching her head. “I was only bored.”

Teddy flicked through the pad. Fairies, famous wizards, gnomes. “You’re good at this,” he said in awe, “the best I could do is a stickman.”

Victoire laughed uneasily. She grimaced as he went to look at the next page –

“Teddy, dear!” the warm voice of Mrs.Weasley startled them both as she waltzed into the kitchen. “My goodness, you’re early.”

Teddy allowed himself to be pulled into a peck on the cheek. “Hello, Molly.”

“Where’s Andromeda, dear?” she asked, adjusting her apron over her plump midsection. The light illuminated her red hair, half discoloured with age. Teddy caught a nervous glint to Victoire’s eyes as he put the drawings back onto the table.

“She should be here in a minute,” he said quietly. “Is Arthur around?”

“He’s just in the lounge, Teddy, go, it’ll get him away from that silly mobile telephone,” Mrs. Weasley said disapprovingly.

As Teddy left the kitchen, Victoire relaxed immediately, the tingling sensation in her fingertips fading away slowly. She opened the notebook, flipped through it, and saw what she had not wanted him to find. Victoire tore out the page hurriedly.

She folded it clumsily and stuffed it into her jeans pocket. Too close.

Teddy shivered as he leaned against a fence that surrounded the Burrow. It was pure blackness out, bar the glimmer of the many windows on the crooked, ruinous house. They air was fresh with moist soil, and the rustle of the wind seemed to calm his throbbing head. At least his stomach, well-fed with fourth helpings of roast potatoes and carrots, was warm. Bill, who had always reminded Teddy of some sort of pirate, had joked to the point of Fleur giggling like a hyena. They had listened to Mr.Weasley’s ranting fascination about the mobile telephone, and he had glared at Andromeda’s glances over her food at Victoire, unusually quiet, sat next to him.

A normal Dinner then.

He rubbed his hands together as the chill of memories suddenly caused his spine to tingle. Where he had been shackled, he felt his wrists sting, he felt the singe of wet dog burn his nostrils, and the uneasiness he had felt as soon as he had seen the pointed edges of Anna’s teeth –

“Teddy?” Victoire’s voice rung, melancholy behind him. She joined him at the
fence, the wind toying with her hair. Moonlight reflected in the puddles of her eyes. “Nan says puddings’ ready.”

He smiled at Mrs.Weasley being called Nan.

“You okay?” she asked tentatively.

Teddy looked down at her, ignoring the garish images of teeth and nails and blood. She was very pretty. The partial Veela lineage meant that often, despite Teddy not ever having considered her as girlfriend material, he was still entranced when it caught him off-guard. She had to choose guys carefully.

He ignored her question. “Y’still with that guy? What’s his name, Curtis…Christopher - ”

“You mean Dom?” she laughed. Then her face fell into seriousness, “No, not anymore.”

“Eek, what happened?”

Victoire shrug her shoulders, “Abbie Wallace did.”

Teddy grimaced, understanding instantly. He didn’t understand how that could happen to someone so brilliant as Victoire. She was funny, pretty, damned stupid at times, but nevertheless, a good person. He instantly felt the need to knock Dom’s brains out. No-one does that to a good friend. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and rubbed it reassuringly. She drew her arms up around his midsection.

After a few moments, she sniffed. “C’mon, they’ll be wondering where we are.” She straightened her pullover and began to walk towards the Burrow. Teddy caught a small smile curling the corners of her lips.

Teddy felt his stomach rumble. Pudding suddenly sounded like a great idea. He went to follow her -

Something rustled behind him. Teddy wheeled round, and his arm thrust out in front of him. He hadn’t even realised he had reached for his wand. His fingers trembled as he squinted into the darkness.

Something shifted.

“Teddy…”

He jumped and looked upwards towards the voice. Odd. He looked closer.

And then he caught the slender silhouette of a woman sat on the tree branches. He recognised her shape, he didn’t need to see her.

“Anna?” he growled angrily. “How long have you been here?”

She slipped from the branches and landed cleanly in front of him. She was garbed in a faded travelling cloak and the curled hair was tied away from her face. Stray strands stroked her cheeks and clung to her lashes. The rims of her eyes were red.

“I only came to warn you,” she said quietly.

“Go away,” he replied flatly. “I don’t want anything to do with you - ”

“Then he’ll kill you.” She said simply. “Unless you move away soon he’ll come for you - you’ll end up like me!”

Teddy shivered at the thought of becoming a werewolf. He shook his head.

“You’re wrong,” he spat angrily. “Wrong. Go away, Anna. Leave me alone!”

Anna folded her arms across her chest defensively as she watched Teddy walk away.

“She’s pretty,” she whispered to herself.

Teddy turned on his heel. “What?”

“I said she’s pretty.” Anna indicated the disappearing form of Victoire
Weasley. Teddy watched the kitchen window. They were sat down,
apparently waiting for him to join them. Fury suddenly mounted in his chest.

“I don’t care what you think,” he growled, turning to face Anna, “Just go away - ”

He stopped immediately. Anna was gone.

(L)

Well, there’s chapter three. =D sorry if it isn’t great! I’ve been so busy!

Y’can feedback me here >>>
Bill the Pirate

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

Old October 30th, 2010, 12:10 am
Fourth Year

Re: Utopia: Teddy Lupin

Good gosh! It's been aaaages, you guys! I hope some of you still want to continue - but any new readers are completely welcome! Here's chapter four, I hope that you like the uncovered secret in the end! Good luck with the read .

Chapter Four

Teddy cleared his throat and grabbed the last few glasses, placing them on the bar ready to be cleaned. The Leaky Cauldron was the quietest he had ever seen it, at half-past one in the morning. The last customers were bobbing merrily towards the doors, drunken grins upturning their ale-moistened lips. The last wizard, a man with a head of shaggy silver hair and a pinstriped waistcoat fitted over his abdomen, his belly bubbling over the elastic of his trousers, waved in Teddy’s direction.

“G…G’night, John…” he slurred, his eyes moving sluggishly towards Teddy’s head. “I like your hat, very nice hat…”

And he bustled out. Teddy shook his head and wiped the closest table. His turquoise hair danced lazily just above his eyes, his lips taut with impatience. He’d waited half an hour for them to leave, but even he wasn’t interested into hustling drunk customers. That was just poking an old bear with a stick. Teddy carried on scrubbing. His knuckles were pink with working, the cloth bunched in between each finger. With each scrub the keys on his belt jangled – the owner normally let him lock up. I hate this job, he groaned, and started upturning stools on the tables.

Scrap this.

Teddy looked around hesitantly. No-one. He casually flipped out his wand and flicked it quickly, like a child catapulting food from the end of a fork. The stools capsized and landed simultaneously with a clatter. Teddy sighed with relief.

“Well, now that that’s out of the way…” he muttered to himself, wiping his forehead. “Might as well have a break.” He perched himself on the bar, swinging his legs aimlessly. He exhaled, the erect discomfort to his frame flattening out into a sluggish slouch, his eyelids drooped…

No, you can’t sleep here. Get the job done. Home. Bed. Then sleep. You need this to pay for tuition fees.

He forced his sleep-crusted eyelids apart.

The warm glow of the green wallpaper and dark mahogany furniture gave the impression of a cosy antique store. The shadows from lamplight jerked uneasily beneath his eyes, heightening the length of his eyelashes. He looked so very tired. But that was what he was anyway - tired. The past few months had been stupidly tiring. Mum and Dad’s anniversary, Anna, Marcus, The Weasley’s – Victoire.

Victoire! She was off to school for her last year next month, and he’d been volunteered to help lug her stuff up and down platform nine-and-three-quarters. It wasn’t the fact that he had to help, it was the fact that Andromeda had shang-hai’d him into this with the same irritating, all knowing, ‘You-two-will-be married-in-no-time’ little beam. He had thought about Victoire in the Marilyn Monroe way only once; when he was around seven in a game of spin the bottle. His first kiss actually, and after that he’d been repulsed and convinced of only once thing: kissing Victoire Weasley was just like kissing a sister.

Teddy grinned. His friends had never quite understood how he couldn’t want ‘someone like her.’ He had never even understood himself – there was nothing horrible about her; she was beautiful, kind, damned annoying sometimes, but she was just Victoire. Friend. Nothing more.

The monotonous tick of his wizarding watch ripped him from his thoughts – twenty-to two. Better get on with it, he decided.

Teddy swung his thighs over the bar and landed on the serving side, putting away some of the clean glasses, ignoring the glint of his reflection he caught as he handled them. Even he, being both tall yet skinny, couldn’t reach the top shelf. He strained to reach –

The glass slipped out of his hands and whirred in front of his eyes, right before it smashed on the floor.

“Cr** - and on my Converse, too.”

As he bent to gather the shrapnel, Teddy heard the door shudder awkwardly as it inched open, eventually unsettling the bell overhead. It chimed. Footsteps. Teddy listened.

“Hello?” the voice was undoubtedly male.

Great, another one. Teddy’s jaw stiffened and he carried on sweeping the shards into his hands jumpily, wary to cut himself, “we’re closed,” he grunted.

“Closed?” was the reply, as if in outrage. “It’s barely half-one!”

Teddy sighed. “Yeah, half-one in the morning. It’s not exactly sunshine with a
hint of cloud out there, is it? I think you need a pair of glasses, sir.”

There was a guffaw. “Well - there’s no need to be rude about it.”

Teddy agreed. He rubbed his temples and smoothed the creases in his shirt, which was worn and stained with sweat. Shards-in-hand, he rose to meet the customer, the dark circles under his eyes evermore defined.

“Sorry,” he croaked, “terrible day that’s all. Sorry.”

The man nodded curtly, revealing a head of long, unkempt brown hair. His faded-green jacket was worn and threadbare, and he wore fingerless gloves that only showcased the fact that his nails were lined in dirt, and Merlin knew what else! His amber eyes were deep-set into his defined face, glowing ambient, like a slowly-waning candle. Teddy ignored the sweep of his stomach as he noticed the man’s face was crosshatched in tiny, gleaming pale scars. They were only visible in the lamplight.

And they were strangely familiar.

His mind suddenly went into overdrive. The cellar again – chained up – Marcus’ taunting, then – “Ralston will show you the way.”

Then Teddy realised. His lips parted in shock.

“Ralston?”

The werewolf looked up from inspecting his hands. It was him. Teddy’s lips instantly spurted into a froth of rage.

You!” he cried, furious. In an instant, Teddy had his wand at the bridge of Ralston’s nose. The werewolf’s sad lips tugged into a very faint smile.

“Point all you want,” he said miserably, “I’m not going anywhere until you listen.”

“Get out,” Teddy threatened, jabbing the wand closer. “Get out!”

“No.” Ralston said calmly, rationally. “Not until you hear what I have to say to you.”

Teddy folded his arms across his chest, regarding the man for a moment. The man was a mess. Teddy looked at the ruinous age and the poverty-stricken clothes and windswept face.

In that moment, Remus Lupin was standing in front of him. He couldn’t say no.
Teddy nodded awkwardly, “alright,” he murmured, and indicated a stool. “Make it quick.”
Ralston drew up a stool and settled himself over it, grimacing in pain as he sat. The werewolf’s sleeve slipped - Teddy caught the glimpse of bruising latticed up the man’s left arm.

Ralston saw him looking and jerked his sleeve over it quickly.

“It’s nothing,” he said lamely, looking at the bar, “I’m accustomed to injury.”

“Oh,” was all Teddy managed, still staring hopelessly. He couldn’t believe it. The imaginaries of his brain were so cruel. So very cruel. Ralston even had the silver streaks of premature age in his hair.

He was all too similar to the photographs of Teddy’s father.

Teddy blinked feverishly, and then Remus Lupin’s face was gone.

“I suppose you’re wondering why I’m here, Teddy,” Ralston said blankly.

“Just a little.”

“Well, I’m not one to… ‘beat around the bush’, so to speak, so I’m going to put this to you very clearly,” Ralston continued. “Markus is an impatient man. He’s used to having things in his own order, Teddy. He hates a great many things. Most of all people who have a little bit of resilience,” he cocked his head towards Teddy. “You’re starting to test his patience.”

“I know,” he replied. “My mum was strong,” in his mind, he added before the end.

“Yes, I’m sure she was,” the werewolf concurred, bowing his head respectfully. “She was a
wonderful, brave woman, to do what she did - ”

“You didn’t know her,” Teddy threatened darkly, the blacks of his pupils expanding. “I barely did. But I know that she wouldn’t want me to go off with a bunch of wasters – I assume that’s what you’re here to do? Get me to join you? Or else I’m dead?”
Ralston’s look was a confession. Teddy scoffed.

“Listen,” he began dangerously, pointing a finger. “Markus asked me. I said no. What makes you think you’re so persuasive, huh? The world isn’t a tough place for you anymore – Harry Potter made damn sure of that, and even before – my father was good enough to get a job and make a living, so why can’t you? I’ve no sympathy for you who’re just sitting there writing your own tragedies!”

Teddy, you misunderstand,” the werewolf implored. “Markus doesn’t want to force you. He wants you to know what it’s like. He wants you to live with us first, and understand us - then you will actually see. You have connections to Harry Potter himself – if anyone can help change things, it is you. All we want is your help.”

Teddy ground his knuckles against the bar in frustration. Things have already changed. The last time he had met Markus he had been chained, treat like an invalid – what could possibly persuade him into understanding or helping him? They were nothing but a waste of space –might as well be shooting themselves in the foot. Too lazy to co-operate. Too lazy to become one with society. Injustice was gone, maybe not with the Muggles, but in the Wizarding World – all was well! Harry had made sure of this himself. Remus’ memory was important to him.

And another reason that compelled him to refuse - Fenrir Greyback was Markus’ father. Teddy rarely used the word hate to describe someone, but for Greyback, the word hate wasn’t nearly sufficient. He was the reason Remus Lupin had changed. And not to mention Victoire’s father, Bill. Markus was the seed of his father’s enemy.
Teddy nearly cried out in frustration. His prejudice told him to refuse – but prejudice was the reason why these werewolves had revolted, would it be hypocritical to help if things were so bad? Would his father have helped Markus, regardless?

For God’s Sake!

“You’re going to a lot of trouble to defend Markus,” Teddy said suddenly, looking piercingly into the werewolf’s eyes. “You two best pals or something?”

For the first time, anger kindled in the workings of his hard face. His nostrils flared, “No,” he said, impassively. “In fact, we’re far from it. We just have…” the man trailed away and looked again at his dirt-encrusted fingernails. There was a short silence before he chose his words carefully: “…we just have a few things in common,” he finished quietly, looking at the floor, the colour of his face now a sallow, ill green.

Teddy hesitated. “Something wrong?”

“No,” the werewolf croaked. Ralston changed the subject, “So…there is nothing I can do to make you change your mind?”

“About what, going around and experience some non-existent injustice, as a tribute to my dead father? Don’t make me laugh – Remus would be turning in his grave if he knew.”

“Markus only wants justice you know.” the next part was almost forced, as if said through the wolf’s barred fangs, “He…he is not his father.”

“And he has justice,” Teddy said coolly. “Harry made sure of that,” he reinforced. It had to be true. Harry wouldn’t let his father’s memory be tainted.

Ralston sat up from his slouched position slowly, swallowing hard. “Well, when you change your mind, you know where to find us,” he made to get up, but something tugged at him, and he hesitated. “In fact,” he said, settling down. “Could you spare me one drink before I go? Long walk, and it’s practically freezing out. I’ll pay for yours too.”

Teddy’s eyes darkened irritably. “One shot,” he said, being too tired to pull a large mug. He heard Ralston utter a ‘thanks’ as he put two shot glasses down and filled them. Ralston handed the money. The sharp open of the till drawer rattled violently in the silence, along with the shimmy of coin over coin.

When Teddy turned, Ralston was tossing back the drink. The man shook his head and screwed his eyes shut as the aftertaste flared in his throat.

“Ridiculously strong,” he said, with a faint smile. “What is that?”

Silent, Teddy reached for his drink – he noticed that a little of it was spilled in a dark puddle on the bar. He raised an eyebrow.

Ralston apologised quickly for knocking the drink.

Thanks, more to clean up. Teddy threw back the drink, barely tasting it. It was bitter, acrid, fermenting around his teeth and under his tongue. The aftertaste was almost like poison. He much preferred something like butterbeer, but here, with a werewolf in his midst, he needed to look a little bit… ‘macho’.

After a few moments, Ralston stood. “Thank you,” he said quietly, and began walking towards the door, Teddy’s eyes following him. When the door closed, Teddy collapsed against the bar, clutching his face in his hands.

“I don’t know what to do, Dad,” he moaned, and tugged at his hair, nearly setting his foot into the bar. “I don’t know what to do. Tell me what to do! What would you do?”

Teddy glared furiously at the ceiling. How was he supposed to decide? He was supposed to leave Andromeda without telling her where he was going, and live amongst werewolves that didn’t even like him? And Victoire – she would be so angry. And how could he know whether they were actually psychos ready to murder Remus Lupin’s son when they had the chance? Ralston had seemed too sincere. But yet again, he had been mesmerised by
Anna’s façade.

How can I possibly know?

Ralston shuddered in his thin clothes as he entered the Hole. The Hole was where they lived. A large, square, grey block of flats wedged in between many others – like an overlarge man squashed into a restricting suit. Everyone had gone to bed, lights in apartment windows flickering slightly. His footsteps banged throughout, bouncing off of the walls, ascending the revolving staircases above him, leading to higher floors. The highest floor accommodated only the best, Markus of course, and his wife.

His beautiful wife.

Ralston’s shoulders sagged all the more in misery. The lines on his once taut face drooped as he whipped something from his jacket - a wand – and pointed it directly linear to the keyhole in one of the doors.

Alohamora,” he muttered darkly, and then kicked his door open viciously. It thrashed against his wall as he burst through, his jacket falling from his body at his feet. As the door closed behind him, he had already tugged his shirt over his head, and had let that fall, too. Ralston’s shoulders were broad, sloping into the long, lean torso. His body was pallid, and cut, and torn, and bruised, the coiling of black hair around his navel also scarfing his chest, neck and chin. His long, stringy arms were slightly expanded into muscles as they moved to peel away his gloves.

Then he collapsed into a chair, running a hand over his face. The gravity of what he had just done intoxicated him. He felt disgusting. His eyes were cavities.

Markus brandished the vial. “Do you know what this is?”

Ralston raised an eyebrow. “I’m not an obtuse child, Markus – of course I know what it is.”

“Good, very good,” Markus replied wickedly, devouring his control over the other man. “Then you won’t have a qualm giving it to Lupin’s boy, now, would you? There’s a good, pathetic man.”

“Excuse me?” Ralston snapped obstinately. His fists clenched angrily at his sides, reddening. “I’m not your carrier pigeon, you *** - ”

Markus’ eyes dilated in lunacy, and within a moment, his left arm had swung in the direction of Ralston’s face. The collision sent Ralston’s head snapping, and he stumbled back, clutching his crushed face. When the pain flared, he whipped his head up, feral, teeth barred. Ralston made to throw himself –

“Go on,” Markus chided. “Hit me, if you think you’re man enough. We’ll see what the wife says about that, won’t we?”

Ralston froze. Affection rimmed his eyes as her name crawled beneath his skin, seized his heart, and cleaved it from his chest. Ralston grimaced in horror. Then he raised his eyes slowly to Markus’.

A grin dissected his brutal mouth.

“You thought I didn’t know?” he purred silkily. “Thought I didn’t know what you think about in that head of yours? Thought I couldn’t see how much you want her - ”

“Enough,” Ralston growled. His body was twisting, his mind flushed with humiliation, his eyes downcast.

Markus laughed.

“Thing is, I don’t care how much you want her. She’s mine. And you’ll always do what I want because you’re scared that it’ll hurt your chances at luring her into that shack you call an apartment, am I right? So I know you will give this to Teddy. You’ll do it for her.”

Ralston swallowed.

“I might as well warn you,” Markus started sardonically, “The hag can’t even have children – and she’s horribly frigid. No use to a bloke - ”

“I said enough, Markus!” Ralston spat, snatching the glass vial from the werewolf’s hands. “Just tell me how to do it.”

Markus shrugged angrily, “I don’t care – slip it into his drink, or something – I don’t care! Just do it.”

Markus started, the memory far to vivid, too haunting. Goosebumps were raised all over him, the hairs on his arms on-end, as if shocked with electricity. His chest heaved, the shadows of his injuries flickering beneath his light. A fly buzzed incessantly around the bulb. The urge to use the Killing Curse on it pulsated in his veins, but he was too weary. Too ill. Too distraught.

As Teddy had turned his back, he had slipped the concoction into the glass. When he had told the boy he and Markus had many things in common, he had meant only one thing. Markus’ wife.

His beautiful wife.

Well, there y'have it! Hope it wasn't awful, I'm a bit rusty (again!) xD. If you wish to leave feedback, feel free - my account is playing up at the moment, but you can access the feedback thread through the links in the last chapter.

Thank youuuu!

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts