What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Old April 11th, 2009, 1:30 am
Fourth Year

Re: What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
I'm gonna get killed for this, but...

David Tennant...

Much as I adore him, he is not Barty CrouchJr, any more than Trigger from Only Fools and Horses (Roger Lloyd Pack?) is Barty Crouch Sr...they are both so wrong, I think...

seeing the above post made me remember that
i think it was me who left that post?? sorry if it offended your adoration of david tennant, i just thought he was a horrible casting choice!!... and im also glad you agreed with me

Quote:
Originally posted by m0nkeydump...

Then Ron sighs and rolls over on his bed with a sad face, "**** off.."
i totally agree with you here (and most of your post ... i dont find anything wrong with either Nevilles face, or Cho's accent ) ...that scene with Harry & Ron was one of the worst ive ever seen made me cringe

Old April 11th, 2009, 2:23 am
Third Year

I found the whole Yule Ball boring.
Cho's accent bugged me.

But I liked Tennant as Crouch Jr. He had the 'creepy' level to him/

Old April 11th, 2009, 3:01 am
Second Year

I was most annoyed by how short they made the Ron and Hermione fight after the Yule ball. I was really wanting a lot more out of that. I also thought Hermiones big beauty scene was sadly unrealistic due to the fact that Emma Watson is beautiful already :P

I was also annoyed at how Michael Gambon seems to play Dumbledare like a maniac. I mean hit pushes and shoves Harry and acts all goofy at random while still maintaining the character from the book though.

Last edited by SnakeSinister; April 11th, 2009 at 3:15 am.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:47 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSinister View Post
I was also annoyed at how Michael Gambon seems to play Dumbledare like a maniac. I mean hit pushes and shoves Harry and acts all goofy at random while still maintaining the character from the book though.
could not agree with you more here

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I dislke Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, full stop!
He does in no way portray the kind aspect of Dumbledore, and totally uncanon.

I had my heart set on seeing Sir Ian McKellen play the role of Dumbledore. (Though I might start believing the White Wizard made an appearing in the HP movies.)

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:11 pm
First Year

Like most of you, I agree that yelling Dumbledore was quite off-putting. I'd also like to add:
-the "Viktor, I love you" song
-complete overhaul of the ferret scene
-Filch and the cannon (got really old after a while)
-dark-haired Barty Jr. (nothing against David Tennant...just the book says he had straw-colored hair)

I make my own rules
Old April 17th, 2009, 7:44 am
Second Year

Yea, I like David Tennant too, but changing details like hair color and over all look bothers me sometimes too.

Old April 17th, 2009, 1:33 pm
Seventh Year

Nowt - I loved the film.

Everyone has a photographic memory ... some, like me, just don't have any film
Old April 17th, 2009, 6:17 pm
Fifth Year

GoF is quite possibly my least favorite of all the films, though it had some bright moments. Newell had Gambon portray Dumbledore horribly, as nearly everyone acknowledges from the yelling and shaking scene.
I also agree that Harry was out of character with the, "Want me to open it?" scene after the first task.
I can understand why they altered the Dragon scene - sort of - I think, visually, it worked better for the medium (motion picture), but I don't like the way Harry was portrayed there either, winning basically by luck, and DD just sitting there as the dragon broke free.
I wish they'd included Dobby but I'm sure that was a budgetary cut back.
I also don't think Hermione looked as beautiful in this film as she ought to have, particularly at the ball. She was much cuter/attractive, I thought, in PoA. I think it was the way they did her hair at the ball, and the gown too. I think Emma's a very pretty girl, and they could've done her more justice there.
I also think it's weird that when LV came back to full life, the cauldron he was in just magically vanished, and his robes came from the smoke in the air - just too weird, and pushing magic a bit too far.
Lastly, I was not enamoured with Dan's acting in one scene; the sobbing as he returned from the graveyard with Cedrics body was well, poor - really no better than the "He was their friend!" scene in PoA.

One other thing that just bothers me with the whole story - book or movie - is that DD couldn't figure out "Moody" was a fake, for nearly an entire year. It's simply unthinkable, and that's why it was such a surprise at the end. It doesn't fit with DD's character to have the wool pulled his eyes so easily for so long.

Old April 17th, 2009, 7:32 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
One other thing that just bothers me with the whole story - book or movie - is that DD couldn't figure out "Moody" was a fake, for nearly an entire year. It's simply unthinkable, and that's why it was such a surprise at the end. It doesn't fit with DD's character to have the wool pulled his eyes so easily for so long.
Well I think that the thing there is that for the entire year Crouch Jr. really didn't do anything that was that out character for Moody (presumably). I am able to accept that Dumbledore was fooled because there were really no obvious hints that would lead him to figure it out. The first suspicious thing that he does all year is take Harry away from the cup after Dumbledore tells him to stay.

Anything that Crouch did in his classes which may have been suspicious to Dumbledore would never have reached his ears- I mean, I am under the impression that Harry is a bit of a special case with regards to the amount of communication that he has with Dumbledore. If Dumbledore found out about Moody helping Harry with the tournament, he probably would not have been too shocked, and would probably chalk it up to Moody just fulfilling his duty to protect Harry. The only thing that I think Moody would have found out about was turning Malfoy into a ferret which, given what we hear throughout the book, would not be out of character for Moody.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:57 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
i agree with willfitz on this one! Crouch played Moody down to a 't', so much in fact that when we meet the real Alastor in OotP the comparison is uncanny!! the only way that Dumbledore would have found out that he was an imposter was if Harry had of told DD that he was 'Barty Crouch' on his Marauders Map!...therefor, taking Harry from Dumbledores side when he returned from the graveyard was his first clue, and he knew instantly that he was an imposter!

Old April 19th, 2009, 4:59 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
I'd have replaced Crouch with Bellatrix, really.
Kloves made the Crouch storyline mean nothing.
The Crouch Family is in the book for we're supposed to see how crude and badly-handed was the Ministry 15 years previously, and how some men would sentence their own son to death for gaining power.
But since we have nothing from that in the movie, one could just erase the whole thing.
It made just GoF heavy with characters who come and go, and you just get the idea that prisoners escape from Azkaban all the time and no one realizes it.
I agree, I'd at least like to have heard Crouch explaining how and when his father broke him out of Azkaban- honestly, "I must write to Azkaban, I think they'll find they're missing a prisoner"?? Dire writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
With Deathly Hallows comming I can only think of reasons they should have incuded him. It would have helped develop this character with whom now they will have to invent something to refreshen the memory of movie fans.
He just needs to be re-introduced in the capacity of helping Harry, or (ducks the furious Dobby fans) replaced with Kreacher. Cedric wasn't in the PoA film, yet his death in GoF had an impact. Dobby just needs to make an impression in DH. Cutting Dobby makes some things more direct and saves time, films are limited by time in a way books aren't so some aspects of the plot have to be streamlined.

Quote:
Yea, I like David Tennant too, but changing details like hair color and over all look bothers me sometimes too.
The hair colour doesn't bother me, it's a minor detail, especially when he's a minor character and we only see him in his own form in a couple of scenes.

Why do people have a problem with Cho's accent?

I disliked seeing the first task with the dragon drawn out so much. Harry didn't seem like he knew what he was doing and it wasted a lot of time.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old April 21st, 2009, 1:00 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I agree, I'd at least like to have heard Crouch explaining how and when his father broke him out of Azkaban- honestly, "I must write to Azkaban, I think they'll find they're missing a prisoner"?? Dire writing.
absolutely agree!! no explanation what so ever!! ...just oh, 'someone who was supposed to have died in prison, is really alive and at large with Lord V.' atrocious

Quote:
The hair colour doesn't bother me, it's a minor detail, especially when he's a minor character and we only see him in his own form in a couple of scenes.
aside from the terrible way Barty Jnr was portrayed (i cannot stress just how much the tongue flicking annoys me )...the hair colour does bother me. i know its a minor detail, but its something that shouldnt have been changed IMO!

Quote:
Why do people have a problem with Cho's accent?
i actually really like Cho's accent! i think it really adds to her character! its the same with Luna's Irish accent! its a quirky addition that makes her more interesting IMO

Quote:
I disliked seeing the first task with the dragon drawn out so much. Harry didn't seem like he knew what he was doing and it wasted a lot of time.
i totally agree! in the book, the First Task was about Harrys finese on a broom, in the movie its about him trying to survive a Dragon attack that would not have been allowed to happen!....but i suppose the First Task from the book wasnt exciting enough to be put on film!....incidentally i really liked the look of the Dragon!...just wish they had of spent time on the other champions struggles with their own Dragons!- instead of that drawn out chase

Old April 21st, 2009, 1:02 am
Fifth Year

I've changed my mind on GoF. Whereas before I was going with charming but deeply flawed, I've just finished watching it again and now think differently: it is a DREADFUL film.

I mean, it does some some individually great moments in there, but for most of the film I just sat there thinking '... Really? No ... I'd have remembered if it were this bad' - but there was no denying it. They managed to make a film that not only took huge liberties with the characters, but was badly made as a film in itself; you'd think you'd at least get one or the other right.

Dumbledore may be droned on about, but there's a reason for that: he's rubbish. And I'm not even just talking about the whole 'angry-dore' saga - it runs throughout the film. The worst thing is the complete lack of authority. Nothing about him in the film suggests leadership, in fact he comes across as a ditherer. Plus he's just so cold. The shouting scene isn't an aberration, it's the norm.
Also Hogwarts has suddenly developed a lads/jocks culture, that's overplayed to death. It veered from Cuaron's magic school with a little more realism (less "I haven't any money" style PS romanticising), to being more like a real world social club with the odd idiosyncrasy.

And yet this is far from being my main complaint against the film. The main one is that it's just terribly made. From the script, to the direction, to the production design; it's just horribly, horribly shoddy.

"Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for Herbology." Oh wow. Did they really write that? I think they did ... Did they really give away who the culprit is and who Moody is half-way through? Yup. Did they really throw in that scene of Karkaroff smiling evilly and sneaking into the hall with the cup? Sure, why not.

The movie is littered with these things, it just defies all belief. It's clumsy groundwork for later events one minute, followed by a complete lack of explanation at all the next.

Dumbledore looks into the distance. "Priori Incantatum ..."

'And that means? Oh, never mind then. Why is everyone being that mean to Harry? Oh, now there are flying horses. And the ceiling has lightning in it? Erm ... why not?' Unbelievable.

It's as though they were in such a rush that they had to loosely cobble it together and hope for the best. This might generously be said to possibly account for the choppy nature of the film, the dire pacing and the clunky transitions (when they were even bothered with).

But it's more than that, Newell just doesn't seem to have a clue how to deliver the story. Columbus may have made simplistic films that lacked the style and edge that followed, but at least they were solid stories. Saccharine, but solid. Newell, dodgy script noted, should have been able to pull something better from the quality of the source material.

As the visual companion to the book it might have value, but as a film it's woeful.

Old April 21st, 2009, 1:09 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zd_Phoenix_ View Post
I've changed my mind on GoF. Whereas before I was going with charming but deeply flawed, I've just finished watching it again and now think differently: it is a DREADFUL film.
I mean, it does some some individually great moments in there, but for most of the film I just sat there thinking '... Really? No ... I'd have remembered if it were this bad' - but there was no denying it. They managed to make a film that not only took huge liberties with the characters, but was badly made as a film in itself; you'd think you'd at least get one or the other right.
Dumbledore may be droned on about, but there's a reason for that: he's rubbish. And I'm not even just talking about the whole 'angry-dore' saga - it runs throughout the film. The worst thing is the complete lack of authority. Nothing about him in the film suggests leadership, in fact he comes across as a ditherer. Plus he's just so cold. The shouting scene isn't an aberration, it's the norm.
Also Hogwarts has suddenly developed a lads/jocks culture, that's overplayed to death. It veered from Cuaron's magic school with a little more realism (less "I haven't any money" style PS romanticising), to being more like a real world social club with the odd idiosyncrasy.
And yet this is far from being my main complaint against the film. The main one is that it's just terribly made. From the script, to the direction, to the production design; it's just horribly, horribly shoddy.
"Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for Herbology." Oh wow. Did they really write that? I think they did ... Did they really give away who the culprit is and who Moody is half-way through? Yup. Did they really throw in that scene of Karkaroff smiling evilly and sneaking into the hall with the cup? Sure, why not.
The movie is littered with these things, it just defies all belief. It's clumsy groundwork for later events one minute, followed by a complete lack of explanation at all the next.
Dumbledore looks into the distance. "Priori Incantatum ..."
'And that means? Oh, never mind then. Why is everyone being that mean to Harry? Oh, now there are flying horses. And the ceiling has lightning in it? Erm ... why not?' Unbelievable.
It's as though they were in such a rush that they had to loosely cobble it together and hope for the best. This might generously be said to possibly account for the choppy nature of the film, the dire pacing and the clunky transitions (when they were even bothered with).
But it's more than that, Newell just doesn't seem to have a clue how to deliver the story. Columbus may have made simplistic films that lacked the style and edge that followed, but at least they were solid stories. Saccharine, but solid. Newell, dodgy script noted, should have been able to pull something better from the quality of the source material.
As the visual companion to the book it might have value, but as a film it's woeful.
Bravo!! ...seriously!! Bravo that post was exquisite i completely agree with you _Zd_Phoenix_!! much better said than i ever could have!

Old August 21st, 2009, 9:38 pm
Third Year

I would have to say Cho's character. No disrespect to the actress but I just don't like her as Cho and the way she delivers all her lines especially after she turns down Harry and she calls him back and says. "I really am sorry"

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:21 pm
Third Year

I HATE GoF. FOR MANY REASONS. ALLOW ME TO RANT.

* they did a bad job with the Frank Bryce opening part. it was an important part of LV's backstory, and they could have easily inserted snippets of it or something, but they didn't.
* i was also looking forward to seeing the Ton-Tongue Toffee part with Dudley, but unfortunately they didn't do that.
* "I love magic..." 'nuff said.
* what happened to the Quidditch World Cup? and how come Harry fainted because a guy bumped into him or whatever?
* no offense, but Emma's acting while they were on the Hogwarts Express sucked. and during that part, i was kind of wondering why Harry wrote Sirius' full name on the letter if the entire WW was out looking for him. the part where Sirius was like, "the Ministry is intercepting more owls now," just re-enforced that.
* BIIIG problems with the BB girls sighing - my friend said, "There goes a couple hundred years of feminism down the toilet" - and the supposedly athletic Durmstrang performance. and I still don't get how Krum was supposed to be this stupid jock guy.
* DD tackling Harry against some kind of trophy case... "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE?!?"
* Ron glares at Harry... "**** off." bad comedic timing and just totally out of place.
* "Ronald would like me to tell you... that Seamus told him... that Dean... was told by Parvati... that Hagrid's looking for you." and then later, Ron's all like, "Figured it'd be all right... after you figured that out." what the hell was with all that?
* Harry sticks out his tongue when he sees Hagrid and Madame Maxime together... SOOO staged.
* a general problem with how few lines Krum and Fleur got in the movie...
* the whole Rita / Krum encounter in the champions' tent.
* i think they were trying to make Karkaroff look really evil really obviously (him locking himself alone with the Goblet, him cackling when Harry gets hit by the Horntail) with the result that it didn't come off as evil at all.
* "WHO WANTS ME TO OPEN IT?" Harry is suddenly an attention-seeking person in that scene. Talk about life becoming art, Rita Skeeter.
* Ron unwraps his dress robes and Harry's like, "Well, it does match your eyes." grrr...
* Madame Maxime reaches into Hagrid's beard and eats something... not a dislike, more like a "Huh?"
* they write with pens and paper 999 times in this movie.
* "Viktor's more of a physical being."

and this is all before the Second Task.

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:56 pm
Third Year

Quote:
and how come Harry fainted because a guy bumped into him or whatever?
I think he was actually kicked in the head, which knocked him out. I remember because the last time I saw it with my sister she practically shouted out, "OUCH!"

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said here already. This was by far the worst of all the movies, which is so incredibly disappointing because I loved the book. The first time I saw the movie, I thought "wow that was great!" But then the more I saw it the more I realized how awful awful AWFUL it was! One thing no one has mentioned is the music. I thought that was pretty awful too. My sister burst out laughing at one scene which was supposed to be suspenseful and serious because the overdramatics of the music made it look so ridiculous. I like Hooper's understated style so much more.

I'm also really peeved with Ralph Fienne's performance as Voldemort. I really wish he had at least read the books to get a sense of who Voldemort actually was, and that he actually took the character seriously. He played him almost like a stereotypical comic hero villain that shouts, "Nnnnoooooo!" when his nemesis gets away. Seriously?! That part in the grave yard when Harry got away made me cringe!

And of course, Michael Gambon's performance as Dumbledore is just horrid as well. I hate how he butchered Dumbledore's character in this film! Thankfully, he redeemed himself in Half-Blood Prince. He did a very good job on that movie. Although I think that if Harris were still alive and he had played Dumbledore in this film, it would have been so much more emotional for me in the end. I would probably have left the movie theater sobbing if it had been Harris who was "shot" down by Snape.

ThestralQuill
11 1/2" Sycamore and Unicorn hair, surprisingly swishy

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more,
that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:22 am
Fifth Year

What annoyed me a lot was how the final version was so different to the version that Kloves actually wrote. His version of the opening feast had Dumbledore walking around the tables, getting amongst the students as he announced the tournament (you can see some glimpses of this in the original teaser, and Gambon mentioned in an interview at the time that this sort of thing would keep the movie fresh), but what we got in the end was a horribly limp scene where he stands at the lectern and delivers a dry monlogue. I would have much preferred the excited Dumbledore from the teaser. Newell chewed up his script and spat it out again. Don't get me wrong, the movie still worked, it was enjoyable and had it's moments (the maze in particular) but it ended up being a limp take on Cuaron's world rather than something that really took his vision forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumosSempra
I'm also really peeved with Ralph Fienne's performance as Voldemort. I really wish he had at least read the books to get a sense of who Voldemort actually was, and that he actually took the character seriously. He played him almost like a stereotypical comic hero villain that shouts, "Nnnnoooooo!" when his nemesis gets away. Seriously?! That part in the grave yard when Harry got away made me cringe!
Doesn't Voldemort run around shrieking in DH when the trio escape Malfoy Manor? Hardly out of line with Fiennes' performance IMO.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:48 am
Second Year

'I consider myself disappointed... Why none of you looked for me... Crabbe... Goyle...'

So.. Voldemort's most feared followers and Death Eaters is... Crabbe and Goyle? And Malfoy and some dode you never hear the name of?
Lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame LAME!!! The DE's are supposed to be a frightening mass of clever and cunning wizards. Mike 'Fail' Newell did out-run himself in the Graveyard scene.

Also 'AARGH! I'M ANGRY OUT-OF-CHARACTER-DUMBLEDORE, DIDYOUPUTYOURNAMEINTHEGOBLETOFFIREHARRY!?' and the All-Time All-Star Winner Of The Most Cheesy And Cringeworthy Line In All Of Fantasy Movie Making History: (TM)
'I love magic'

But I think that's been named already

Blondes have more fun! The Jackson KS300 Lovegood special: Only $499!
(Also known as the Lunatar ^^)

Do not read my fanfic "Bannister Sparke and the Peverell Penultiman Conspiracy"
Try
Xenophilius Lovegood: A Life instead
TRIVIUM !! <3
PS: Tom Marvolo Riddle anagrams into "I am Lord Voldemort", but also "Odd immortal lover"
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies