Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Old August 28th, 2009, 2:09 am
First Year

Re: What annoyed you most about GOF v3

I felt that GOF was really clunky. For some reason it felt like the story never flowed that well, and it felt like they were sort of just trying to please us with special effects. The only thing that caught my attention in the movie was at the end in the graveyard. Other than that, for some reason the movie reminded me of watching something on a sports channel because they focused so much on the tournament itself and not much of the story.

I did not see this coming

"Are-you-mental?"
"Fight! Fight! Fight for my master, defender of house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2009, 2:13 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consmap View Post
I felt that GOF was really clunky. For some reason it felt like the story never flowed that well, and it felt like they were sort of just trying to please us with special effects. The only thing that caught my attention in the movie was at the end in the graveyard. Other than that, for some reason the movie reminded me of watching something on a sports channel because they focused so much on the tournament itself and not much of the story.
I thought that it was like that too. Too bad -- since the story itself was good. Special effects should have been an afterthought here.

@ the whole watching a sports' channel thing -- it did remind me of ESPN a little bit . Too much sports and not enough movie. It was like the wizards' olympics or something. Not that it's bad -- but I would have loved to have seen more of a focus on the storyline at hand.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 28th, 2009, 3:06 am
Fourth Year

Okay......apart from the Yule Ball scene (which was cool, I must admit) the entire film of GoF was one huge fail! They either assumed that the entire audience would have read the book, or else they were just hoping that people would be making up/filling in the details in their own minds. But I think the result was just weird and choppy; Harry just waking up at the Burrow insead of the whole Weasley/Floo Powder/Blocked-up-fireplace/Dudley/Toffee fiasco, which was a large section of the book.
Same about the Quidditch World Cup: that was a major part of the book, and there was all this build-up with them going to it..... and then the actual game gets zero screen time! Then, of course, it cut the entire chapter in the forest with Winky and the Dark Mark, all of which was huge set-up for later in the story. What else....
Annoying Dumbledore, ten hugely wasted minutes with the dragon chasing Harry around Hogwarts, the creepy mermaids, really, think of a detail from GoF and it annoyed me! I mean, it never even explains why Krum goes all gooky in the maze and starts breaking out the Cruciatus on his fellow contestants; rather than having him under Moody/Barty's Imperius curse, they just insert some lame excuse about the maze "changing" people..... which I suppose is also supposed to cover Cedric and Harry's inexcusably altered behavior.
Then the Priori Incantatem was never explained either..... admittedly, it felt a bit too convenient at the best of times; but the explanation Dumbledore gave in the book made a lot more sense than what was in the movie: nothing. (Dumbledore: "You saw your parents that night, didn't you?" Harry: "Yes". Dumbledore: *vaguely dramatic* "Priori Incantatem!" *leaves*) Honestly, guys, that's not going to explain anything to anyone! Not to mention that Crouch Jr.'s story was almost completely cut, removing the explanation for all of the mysterious things that had happened up until that part: including Crouch Sr.'s death!

Soooo....can ya tell I wasn't too happy with GoF?

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.

Last edited by LoonyForMoony; January 19th, 2010 at 12:13 am.
Old August 28th, 2009, 3:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I thought that it was like that too. Too bad -- since the story itself was good. Special effects should have been an afterthought here.

@ the whole watching a sports' channel thing -- it did remind me of ESPN a little bit . Too much sports and not enough movie. It was like the wizards' olympics or something. Not that it's bad -- but I would have loved to have seen more of a focus on the storyline at hand.
Lool.

"Potter swerves around the dragon, he's going for the egg, his hand is outstretched- OH WHAT A HIT! THAT SLAM OF THE TAIL ROCKED HIM!"

That was the problem, I only remembered the Triwizard tournament but not really what actually was happening in the movie.

I did not see this coming

"Are-you-mental?"
"Fight! Fight! Fight for my master, defender of house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"
Old August 28th, 2009, 3:21 am
Third Year

I agree with everyone else in how I didn't like the angryDumbledore.
And the boys' hair is just ridiculously long.
and I hate how they didn't have any magical creatures in the third task-just the hedges being all weird.
dissapointing

Old December 12th, 2009, 6:58 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_xx View Post
A few things annoyed me, and I'll also re-name ones that have already been said.

1. Yelling Dumbledore.
2. Harry's long hair
3. Harry wanting attention: "You want me to open it!?"
4. No appearance of Winky.
5. No appearance of the kitchens with Dobby or Winky.
6. No Blast Ended Skrewts, or Unicorns in the Care of Magical Creatures class.
7. No appearance of S.P.E.W.
8. No scene where Hermione's front teeth grow.
9. No scene where Dobby gives Harry the Gillyweed.

I could go on and on and on. But I won't
All of the above, plus:

The"dance practice" and date-seeking scenes -- too many of each.
Too few scenes from the World Quidditch Cup.
The Weasleys shown as sitting in the "nosebleed section" at the Quidditch Cup when Arthur was so proud of the fact that he had tickets in the Minister's Box?
Too much time spent on Harry's battle with the dragon.
No scene where the Weasleys come to the Dursley's to pick Harry up. IMO the interaction scenes between magic beings and Muggles would add to the overall series.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.

Last edited by MinervasCat; December 12th, 2009 at 7:01 pm.
Old December 17th, 2009, 7:17 am
Second Year

I'd have to say the way the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons entered Hogwarts and how they did the dances.
It was horrible in my opinion.

Old December 17th, 2009, 7:51 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
I wish they'd included Dobby but I'm sure that was a budgetary cut back.
I am re-reading the book coincidentally and cutting Dobby from this story is like burning the book and ruining the whole plot by putting Barty Crouch in almost the first scene in the book is killing the whole story.Its like telling the viewers who is the murderer in an Agatha Christie story in the first 2 minutes of a movie or book depending on what kind of adaption you have.They should have kept that surprise to the last.Next time they are going to kill Voldemort in the first 10 minutes of DH.

Old December 17th, 2009, 8:20 am
First Year

i really didn't like the beauxbatons and durmstrang entrance, it was almost comical.

x:*.*:x_MeLiSsA_x*.*:x
“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old December 17th, 2009, 8:30 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa62442 View Post
i really didn't like the beauxbatons and durmstrang entrance, it was almost comical.
It was and they turned both schools in an all girl or all boy school which they weren't.

Old December 17th, 2009, 9:11 am
First Year

Ron's acting during GoF (it pained me to say that) especially with the jealous scenes. But I guess he didn't have much to work with...

"I'm not an owl!" Really got me, it was just... lame.

Harry: "You're a right foul git, you know that?”
Ron: “Anything else?”
Harry: “Yeah. Stay away from me.”

That entire... what do I call it, conversation? I dunno, whatever it is was possibly the weakest moment of the movie. I could have definitely done without it.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
Old December 17th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Second Year

what the hell was barty crouch jr. doing in the crowd when they are interrogating karkaroff that was so stupid, sure crouch jr thought that by just being there the other guy wouldnt dare to betray him and dont get me start on the tounge tic. every change they did in this movie was awful

Old December 18th, 2009, 4:31 pm
Fourth Year

David Tennants portrayal of Barty Crouch Junior .

I also hate the ridiculous hair that Harry, Ron and the twins have.

Old December 20th, 2009, 8:15 am
Second Year

One line in the whole movie..

"Especially your filthy, muggle mother!"

The delivery is excellent.
Just how wrong it is annoys me to no end.

You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard. You really are.
Not as good as you.
Me? Books and cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship and bravery. And Harry, just be careful.

Sorted
Old December 20th, 2009, 8:50 am
First Year

I hated how they didn't put in S.P.E.W. To me, that seemed like a major part of the book. I also didn't like how long Ron and Harry's hair was. It was disturbing, and i'm glad it was changed in the 5th and 6th.

Old December 20th, 2009, 8:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

That Prof. Snape didn't show his Dark Mark to Fudge, and Dumbledore didn't send him off to Voldemort.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old December 20th, 2009, 9:29 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactheknife View Post
I also hate the ridiculous hair that Harry, Ron and the twins have.
But the twins looked so bloody sexy!

1. I hate the part when Draco is sitting in the tree taunting Harry. He just looks like he's in the most uncomfortable position ever. And he also looked ridiculous. Who just pops out of a tree like that? No one!

2. When Hermione said "I'm not an owl!" That made me cringe.

3. Harry saying, "Who wants me to open it?" It was a nice effort, but the delivery just was not convincing. It did not sound natural.

4. The look Harry gave Hermione when she said, "No, of course!" Did he really think that Fleur would have gone to the ball with Ron?

5. Not enough Slytherin. I wanted to see Slytherins at the ball.

Last edited by MistressofRaven; December 20th, 2009 at 6:54 pm. Reason: expansion
Old December 24th, 2009, 4:33 pm
Second Year

The general direction of the film. Mike Newell dropped the ball on this film. He has the wrong style for Harry Potter, and didn't understand the book. I can respect him wanting to bring a more traditional British Boarding school feel to Hogwarts, but he drained all the magic. And with all respect to Newell and his vision, but Hogwarts is far from a traditional boarding school.

Also, the editing and pacing had issues. Something was definitely wrong with the pacing. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is, but when I watch the movie the pacing is off in some way. It feels like a bunch of scenes stuck together with no real glue holding it together. The worst being how fast we travel from the Second Task to the Third task. It feels like they ran out of time, and went "oh **** we are out of time we better wrap this thing up!" There isn't a clear three act structure. And if there is, it isnt strong at all.

Last edited by J17; December 24th, 2009 at 6:25 pm.
Old December 24th, 2009, 6:35 pm
First Year

Oh wow. Where to start............I hated the fact that the left out S.P.E.W.!!!! That really bugged me. It also annoyed me that they had Neville tell Harry about the gillyweed, not Dobby. And I also would have liked it if they had showed more of the Quidditch match at the begining. AND they left out Winky!!!! AND Ludo Bagman! Ugh.......they left out so much.

I am a proud Gryffinpuff!

Ron Weasley, Fred Weasley, Sirus Black, Severus Snape, and Cedric Diggory are the best characters EVER!

AVPM and PPPs are amazing!

Last edited by ronweasleysgrl; December 24th, 2009 at 6:38 pm.
Old December 24th, 2009, 6:47 pm
First Year

I knooow!! that bugged me as well!!

I also thought it was weird how they let everybody's hair get waaay too long. I mean, ron looked like a girl at times.

something that bothered me about all the movies was that they left out SPEW and Peeves, which were major things in the books.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies