Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

View Poll Results: What is Snape's greatest strength?
his ability to love 62 34.83%
his intellect 74 41.57%
his humour 27 15.17%
his ability to quickly adapt to changes 43 24.16%
his single-mindedness 30 16.85%
his bravery 88 49.44%
I don't see Snape having any particular strengths. 13 7.30%
You didn't list my favourite option. You're on Snape's radar now. 23 12.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 22nd, 2009, 8:09 am
MODLY CREW

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Welcome to the 11th version of this thread!

For background reading and reference:
version one
version two
version three
version four
version five
version six
version seven
version eight
version nine
version ten

A new quotation to get this thread started:

From PS:    

Harry had reached the shed. He leaned against the wooden door and looked up at Hogwarts, with its windows glowing red in the setting sun. Gryffindor in the lead. He'd done it, he'd shown Snape....

And speaking of Snape...

A hooded figure came swiftly down the front steps of the castle. Clearly not wanting to be seen, it walked as fast as possible toward the forbidden forest. Harry's victory faded from his mind as he watched. He recognized the figure's prowling walk. Snape, sneaking into the forest while everyone else was at dinner -- what was going on?

Harry jumped back on his Nimbus Two Thousand and took off. Gliding silently over the castle he saw Snape enter the forest at a run. He followed.

The trees were so thick he couldn't see where Snape had gone. He flew in circles, lower and lower, brushing the top branches of trees until he heard voices. He glided toward them and landed noiselessly in a towering beech tree.

He climbed carefully along one of the branches, holding tight to his broomstick, trying to see through the leaves. Below, in a shadowy clearing, stood Snape, but he wasn't alone. Quirrell was there, too. Harry couldn't make out the look on his face, but he was stuttering worse than ever. Harry strained to catch what they were saying.

"... d-don't know why you wanted t-t-to meet here of all p-places, Severus..."

"Oh, I thought we'd keep this private," said Snape, his voice icy. "Students aren't supposed to know about the Sorcerer's Stone, after all."

Harry leaned forward. Quirrell was mumbling something. Snape interrupted him.

"Have you found out how to get past that beast of Hagrid's yet?"

"B-b-but Severus, I --"

"You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell," said Snape, taking a step toward him.

"I-I don't know what you

"You know perfectly well what I mean."

An owl hooted loudly, and Harry nearly fell out of the tree. He steadied himself in time to hear Snape say, "-- your little bit of hocus-pocus. I'm waiting."

"B-but I d-d-don't --"

"Very well," Snape cut in. "We'll have another little chat soon, when you've had time to think things over and decided where your loyalties lie."

He threw his cloak over his head and strode out of the clearing. It was almost dark now, but Harry could see Quirrell, standing quite still as though he was petrified.

• In how far do you interpret this scene differently after DH?
  • What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?
  • Why is he the one confronting Quirrell at all?

Old and new study questions:
  1. Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?
  2. What do you think would Snape say about Albus Severus?
  3. Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?
  4. What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?
  5. Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?
  6. Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?
  7. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.
  8. Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?
  9. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?
  10. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Voldemort had targeted with the prophecy?
  11. What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character?
  12. What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?
  13. Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?
  14. What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?
  15. Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?
  16. There are all kinds of bravery in this series, what characteristics of Snape's make him brave? In what sense is he a hero?

AS THIS IS STILL A HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL AND SENSITIVE TOPIC WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE BE SENSITIVE TO OTHERS OPINIONS. THIS MEANS NO GLOATING AS WELL AS NO BASHING. CONSEQUENCES WILL BE SEVERE.

Additionally please read How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic and Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD

Now go on and have fun!

Last edited by Moriath; April 23rd, 2009 at 11:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2009, 7:17 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Yay A new thread. Version 11.

I voted for everything except I don't see Snape having any particular strengths. .

The last one I voted because I liked that option of you being on Snape's radar and because I really had something you did not mention. You did not mention the sheer genius and the awesome that Snape was... no is. There is no portrait or body. I live in hope.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old April 25th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I chose the same options as TGW. I would like to add that I find his strength and determination incredibly impressive. I don't think I could ever walk in his shoes and stay sane and alive. That he is able to fulfill his duties in spite of so much misery and guilt is almost superhuman.

I would like to refer to our previous discussion from the last thread. I remember Zg pointing out this line from PoA:

Quote:
Snape's eyes were boring into Harry's. It was exactly like trying to stare down a hippogriff. Harry tried hard not to blink.
I love the comparison, because we learn before this about the pride of the hippogriffs and their sharp talons. Snape is, IIRC, frequently described as having the look of a large bird-of-prey...and he's definitely proud and can strike back with a sharp tongue.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 25th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I love the comparison, because we learn before this about the pride of the hippogriffs and their sharp talons. Snape is, IIRC, frequently described as having the look of a large bird-of-prey...and he's definitely proud and can strike back with a sharp tongue.
I agree, definitely... Snape was very much that way. My question is, does Snape see Harry that way?

I've always thought that the reason Snape so disliked Harry was in the way that he was humble... He's reminded of his loss of Lily, as well as how much he hates James.

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ř ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old April 25th, 2009, 7:33 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
  • In how far do you interpret this scene differently after DH?
  • What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?
  • Why is he the one confronting Quirrell at all?
I think Snape's main motivation in this scene was to try to get Quirrell to talk about what he had found out about Fluffy and trying to get past the other teacher's enchantments concealing the Stone. I think Dumbledore had him confront Quirrell, but I'm not really sure why.

I have to ask a question about this scene in PS, Lord Voldemort was sharing a body with Quirrell, did Snape know that he was there while confronting Quirrell? How had Voldemort reacted to Snape inquiring about Quirrell's knowledge of the Stone?

Quote:
Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?
I think only because of his love for Lily.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 25th, 2009, 7:41 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Wow, version 11! I chose the following.

His ability to love: considering his neglected and abused beginnings it is amazing he was still willing to hope and love so very deeply and purely. We saw from Voldemort how easily someone can turn away from such feelings at an very early age.

his intellect: very intelligent, sharp and creative mind

his humour: I like ironic, quick wit and sarcastic humour.

his ability to quickly adapt to changes: life as a spy he had to think quick and effectively, his DADA speech shows he believes in adapting to what a person may face.

his bravery: incredible bravery, prepared to work in the shadows and unseen. Even hated by those he was protecting, which takes a different kind of bravery, strength and determination compared to fighting in the open.

All the above is my own opinion.

Quote:
Quote:
Snape's eyes were boring into Harry's. It was exactly like trying to stare down a hippogriff. Harry tried hard not to blink.
Great point!

Last edited by Annielogic; April 25th, 2009 at 7:52 pm.
Old April 25th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
I've always thought that the reason Snape so disliked Harry was in the way that he was humble... He's reminded of his loss of Lily, as well as how much he hates James.
Hm...I'm not quite sure about that. My thought is, he would have to have been very sure that he could win Lily over in order for him to think he'd somehow "lost" to James, as opposed to James having "stolen" her. That way, he'd be aware of a competition of sorts, the loss of which would definitely be humiliating. But I think neither of them really saw it as much of a competition. James wanted to get on Lily's good side because he thought she was attractive, and Severus was juggling his relationship with the Slytherins with his feelings for Lily.

When it comes to Harry, I think humiliation is the least of what Snape's feeling. Harry is also a reminder to him of all his biggest mistakes, his own feeling of grief/loss, and the image of someone he hated very much.

Quote:
* In how far do you interpret this scene differently after DH?
* What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?
* Why is he the one confronting Quirrell at all?
This was another interesting pre-DH clue about Snape. He uses the word "loyalties" when speaking to Quirrell, proving that Snape was lying to Bella in Spinner's End when he said that he thought Quirrell was just a thief. You don't talk about a thief's "loyalties".

I think Snape was trying to determine how far Quirrell had gotten in his quest for the Stone. Snape's tone and body language suggest that he's trying to scare Quirrell into giving information. When this doesn't work, he gives up that tactic and suggests they meet another time, intimating to Quirrell that he'd better rethink his plans.

As to why he's confronting Quirrell...well, we see Dumbledore tell him to keep an eye on the guy. Snape probably thought it best to oppose Quirrell as actively as possible without compromising his spy job. Hence this meeting and Snape trying to head Quirrell off on Halloween.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me

Last edited by ignisia; April 25th, 2009 at 7:55 pm. Reason: oh yeah...there are two Ls in "Quirrell". I feel stupid. :<
Old April 25th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Moriath! *glomps* Love the new poll. I voted for three options - his ability to adapt to change (essential to a spy), his bravery, and "Other". The other I have in mind is what I consider to be his exceptional level of magical talent. He's clearly in a class with the top adults we meet in his duelling skills, he's tops in treating the effects of curses and probably without peer in Occlumency, and he really understands Potions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
I don't think Snape perceived Harry as humble. We see that soon after their first meeting he already describes Harry as arrogant, fame-seeking, and impertinent (as we see him complain to Albus in "The Prince's Tale"). He also accused Harry directly of arrogance in both PoA ("Snape's Grudge" ) and OotP ("Occlumency", during the argument Snape and Sirius have at 12 Grimmauld Place).

I sauppose he is possibly deceiving himself about Harry precisely because he knows he would not bear to be reminded of Lily. Though I would not describe her as humble either. But she did have good qualities Harry shares, and Snape does not (openly) acknowledge.

EDIT: Regarding our discussion in V. 10 of the scene in which Snape shows Fudge his Dark Mark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot
Doesn't Voldemort unmask Lucius to shame him? I don't have my book handy for once.
He does unmask him, and calls Lucius his "slippery friend". Harry does not go into this level of detail in his account, however, so it is a thing I can see Snape wondering about.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.

Last edited by arithmancer; April 25th, 2009 at 8:47 pm.
Old April 25th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Huggles shiney new thread!

Huggles Moriath

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius
He does unmask him, and calls Lucius his "slippery friend".
I love that line!
Ahem - back to Snape
Quote:
He's clearly in a class with the top adults we meet in his duelling skills, he's tops in treating the effects of curses and probably without peer in Occlumency, and he really understands Potions.
Definitely! He's an all round awesome guy! (And he should have been in Ravenclaw!)

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old April 25th, 2009, 9:40 pm

TGW, I loved you post at the end of V. 10 as well, especially what you had to say about the scene on the hill. I completely agree about the moment when Albus says "You disgust me". The moment in that scene that I still wonder about is:

DH, "The Prince's Tale""In - in return?" Snape gaped at Dumbledore, and Harry expected him to protest, but after a long moment he said, "Anything."

WHat was going through his mind? Was he wondering whether Dumbledore could possibly mean he would not act on Snape's information? Trying to decide what he should offer? The "long moment" here intrigues me.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Old April 25th, 2009, 11:30 pm

I don't think he expected Dumbledore to ask him for anything in return. He's been a DE for at least a year now, and is probably thinks Dumbledore just isn't the type of master to take that tack. But Dumbledore proves to be tougher than that. After the initial shock wears off, being a Slytherin, he's naturally going to think about the request and its possible consequences and, being in love, is going to realize that he's willing to do pretty much anything to keep Lily alive. And so he gives his answer.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:43 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
WHat was going through his mind? Was he wondering whether Dumbledore could possibly mean he would not act on Snape's information? Trying to decide what he should offer? The "long moment" here intrigues me.
Hmm, yes, I use to think about that too. Maybe he didn't expect Dumbledore to ask anything in exchange. After all, he came with an information, an information about the Dark Lord's intentions to kill someone. Maybe he thought Dumbledore will thank him and leave it to that. I also think possible he was starting to realise the weight of his decision to come to Dumbledore. After all, he was pretty young back then.

Some of these questions I'd like to answer:

Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?

He'd never admit it, possibly, but yes, in a way yes. He blamed himself for Lily's death, that much is clear to us, and he must have thought at some point that he caused Harry to be an orphan. Perhaps the 'arrogance' he seems to see in Harry somewhat counteracts this feeling if existent...

What do you think would Snape say about Albus Severus?

Say, or think, or feel???
He'd probably say something like: I could have done without that information, surely.

Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?

I'd like him to learn to face himself sometimes...

What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?

Throw out the daily prophet reporter, brew potions, read, snear

Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

I do believe character somewhat outgrow the writer because they can't possibly think of all points of views other might interpret them or feel about them. Different people like and dislike different personalities, humours and styles, and sometimes the evilest (I don't mean Severus) might turn out fanciable...
No, I don't totally agree with it, just partially

Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?

I could go on about this for pages and ages...

Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.

He didn't murder Dumbledore, he acted upon Dumbledore's ... well, not really order... more like he's request, and I think to some extent against his better judgement. Whereas Sirius is concerned, I feel that their character is somewhat alike in certain aspects, this being the reason for their mutual dislike among other things. I feel that the Sirius issue has very little to do with Snape's love...

Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?

Uhh, another long one...

How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?

THey didn't really changed it. I never thought Severus a real DE and I always reasoned his behaviour the same way...

What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Voldemort had targeted with the prophecy?

What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character?

Realised the price of his choise I guess. Just like Regulus, he realised that this is really the 'real thing', not a glittering game, not a shiny reputation, things are done, expected from Death Eaters regardless of their wants and wishes. Everything that they are is secondary to the Dark Lord's wishes.

What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?

His brains, his knowledge, his ability to supress his feelings (which incidentally is also a weakness of his), his perseverence and patience to learn. His flaws are also many layered: sometimes it's not good to supress your feelings, and he's impatient with things he thinks he knows better. I think he doesn't really believe in goodness and in love, for he never really had any, and what he did have he lost it rather harsly. He's insecure a bit...

Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?

No,I think not.

What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?

Dumbledore was the only person in the whole wide world to ever trust him completely and even be nice to him (I'm talking about the grown-up Snape), so... yes, a bit both.

Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?

IMO he should have been in Ravenclaw, but Gryffindor would also have suited him. Probably not, since his first 'bad choise' was to be in Slytherin. He wished to be there, never considered any other house...

There are all kinds of bravery in this series, what characteristics of Snape's make him brave? In what sense is he a hero?

what characteristics make him brave?? Well, he's brave, that's it, isn't it? He plays with his life every time he faces Voldy, he knows that the other DE's hate him, so he has to watch his step all the time, and he also knows that there are very little chanses for him to survive this whole thing. If he did survive he probably was chucked in Azkaban for a good while...
He offered up his whole life to correct a mistake...that makes him a hero, and a tragic one too.

*In: Snape's Happy Ending, fanfic by CathyWeasley

SNAPE'S MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbloodsnape View Post
Hmm, yes, I use to think about that too. Maybe he didn't expect Dumbledore to ask anything in exchange. After all, he came with an information, an information about the Dark Lord's intentions to kill someone. Maybe he thought Dumbledore will thank him and leave it to that.
This I doubt. But I think he may have expected to wind up dead or in Azkaban as a result of this conversation. (Dead, we know he seriously considered, because of the fear he displayed while waiting for DUmbledore, and his first words to Dumbledore).

Quote:
What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?

Throw out the daily prophet reporter, brew potions, read, snear

All was well.

Old April 26th, 2009, 12:26 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Hm...I'm not quite sure about that. My thought is, he would have to have been very sure that he could win Lily over in order for him to think he'd somehow "lost" to James, as opposed to James having "stolen" her. That way, he'd be aware of a competition of sorts, the loss of which would definitely be humiliating. But I think neither of them really saw it as much of a competition. James wanted to get on Lily's good side because he thought she was attractive, and Severus was juggling his relationship with the Slytherins with his feelings for Lily
Snape could not lose something he never had and he could not own Lily, so she could not be stolen from him. But Snape seemed to wish to control Lily, so I do feel he believed he had some kind of proprietary right to Lily. But it wasn't just James he would have to worry about - Lily was popular and dating, he would have to worry about a long list of guys that Lily would select first. Primarily because they were not budding death eaters, and secondarily because they kept up their hygiene, imo Snape was bound to lose to someone. It is hard to be friends with a person who goes over the line though, so I think the budding death eater stuff would be the biggest hurdle for Snape - with many girls at Hogwarts - which is why he wasn't noted as popular or dating.

Quote:
DH, "The Prince's Tale""In - in return?" Snape gaped at Dumbledore, and Harry expected him to protest, but after a long moment he said, "Anything."

I think Snape believed he had already offered Dumbledore something and requested something in return - so he thought the bets were even. So when Dumbledore asks for more, he is surprised. But I think Dumbledore was trying to indicate that Snape had not given him anything at all - that the information was something Snape should have wished to give 'for nothing' and that is why Dumbledore asked what Snape would do for him, if he did something for Snape - and why I feel Snape answered so broadly.

Old April 26th, 2009, 1:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z
But I think he may have expected to wind up dead or in Azkaban as a result of this conversation.
You know, I was thinking along similar lines before. It makes sense that the Order would send whatever DEs they managed to capture to Azkaban. Considering that, going to Dumbledore was a pretty risky move, and further proves that he was not expecting anything in return from Lily, but was only trying to keep her alive, period. He can't really get back on her good side when he's stuck in a prison cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath
Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?
I didn't see this one before! Must be new..

Well, first off, JKR did pretty well at wrapping up his character, so I'd say there's not much of a "supposed to end up" about it.

I wouldn't really change much about him, except that it would be great if he could forgive himself a little bit for being stupid as a young 'un.

Mostly, I'd change the circumstances of his childhood and adolescence. I think it contributed to a lot of what later happened. No one deserves to ever be in such a situation.

But even so, the way he was works out well for the story. His harsh words, combined with Harry's assumptions, help trick the casual reader for many long years until DH.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 26th, 2009, 2:21 am

I had one trait that wasn't on the list too - Loyalty. I think that's one of Snape's best traits.

And I wouldn't change even one thing about Snape - I like him as he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgirnius
EDIT: Regarding our discussion in V. 10 of the scene in which Snape shows Fudge his Dark Mark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot
Doesn't Voldemort unmask Lucius to shame him? I don't have my book handy for once.
He does unmask him, and calls Lucius his "slippery friend". Harry does not go into this level of detail in his account, however, so it is a thing I can see Snape wondering about.
Thanks - I'm sure Snape found out later what happened from the Malfoys, although probably not the exact words. However, he does see Harry's memories of the graveyard in OotP during Occlumency lessons, so he would eventually find out.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old April 26th, 2009, 2:41 am

Some of the discussion questions seem unfamiliar (or I am getting old. ) So I shall answer a few I do not recall answering before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
[*]Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?
Yes, definitely. I think he wanted Harry's forgiveness, not necessarily in the sense that he recognized it would contribute to his own emotional well-being (though if he'd lived, and gotten it, I think it would have), but in the sense that he understood Harrry to have been wronged by his own actions. This is why I think he shared the early (pre-GoF) memories of "The Prince's Tale". They explain Snape's feelings towards Harry, and reveal to Harry the wrong choices young Severus made and the extent to which that impacted Harry's future. So far as Snape knew, all Harry knew of his past was that he had been a Death Eater in the first war.

This reflects a change in his feelings and outlook from the second memory with Dumbledore, when he swore Dumbledore to secrecy about his past.

[*]What do you think would Snape say about Albus Severus?

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when someone tells his portrait...

[*]Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?

I am not sure how to take this question. Considering the way this character was supposed to end up was to be a tragic, heroic character who in the act of dying passes to Harry the secret that allows him to live - and surprises Harry and some readers when he proves to have been "Dumbledore's" all along...it seems no change is required. Most improvement I can think of would lessen the tragedy of his life or give the game away in Rowling's biggest plot twist.

[*]Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?

Tough one. I think so. He certainly came to recognize Harry's best quality. The one to me obvious objection to Albus's plan that he never makes is "You don't actually expect Potter to DO this?!" when told Harry must let Voldemort kill him. He also objects to the plan fairly vehemently.

To me it is a difference between him and Petunia. She and Snape both wind up unwilling guardians of Harry. She does not manage to communicate to him when they part whether she even cares that he will live or die. Snape, on the other hand, does.

[*]Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?

I think his life would have been completely different in another House. However, I think he fits several of the stated Sorting criteria for Slytherin (cunning, determined, and ambitious) and is one of several examples in the series that those criteria can describe good people.

All was well.

Last edited by arithmancer; April 26th, 2009 at 2:47 am.
Old April 26th, 2009, 8:22 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
TGW, I loved you post at the end of V. 10 as well, especially what you had to say about the scene on the hill. I completely agree about the moment when Albus says "You disgust me". The moment in that scene that I still wonder about is:

Thanks zg!

I also wonder what went through Snape's mind at that time. He must have felt completely bewildered that Dumbledore was asking something from Snape, if he was to protect the Potters. I think Snape started thinking this way, before I think he realised what Dumbeldore was offering him.

From Dumbledore's point of view, I think he was offering Snape something very important. A second chance. And he waited to see what Snape would do.

He was actually asking Snape, what he would do from that time onwards. Where his loyalties lay and did he feel the same about Voldemort and the cause he had signed up for IMO.

And Snape had only one word to answer. "Anything!" That was for Dumbeldore; for himself I don't think he saw any comfort or any way to ease the terrible feeling within himself at that time, if ever.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old April 26th, 2009, 9:01 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Moriath: In how far do you interpret this scene differently after DH?
What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?
Why is he the one confronting Quirrell at all?
I don't know - that is a confusing scene actually because after DH, one would think Snape would have been working for Dumbledore - but why would Dumbledore want Snape to speak to Quirrell? And even if it was to fool him into speaking - wouldn't that mean that Dumbledore knew something was up with Quirrell - which begs the question as to how Quirrell ended up in that final scene with Harry at all. . Perhaps Dumbledore didn't know, then I don't know what Snape was playing at; perhaps he wanted eternal life and the stone for himself.

Old April 26th, 2009, 9:10 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Some of the discussion questions seem unfamiliar (or I am getting old. )
I always try to add a few new questions. Not an easy task after 10 versions.

And ZOMG, all the hugging...I'm quite baffled. I do usually not get much love from the posters in this thread. And all it took was a poll - you're all very easy.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References