Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References > The Quibbler > Quibbler Breaking News > News archives > Through the Trap Door

Through the Trapdoor - Second Challenge - Devil's Snare

Old May 10th, 2009, 1:38 pm
Neville Longbottom

Through the Trapdoor - Second Challenge - Devil's Snare

List of entrants - thanks to storyteller:

1 - Spacecadet - Gryffindor 1.****** Tickled Pink-
2 - Pox Voldius - Slytherin 2.****** Carnivourus Poppy-
3 - JJFinch - Ravenclaw 3.****** Snoozegrass-
4 - Lucybird - Hufflepuff 4.****** Somnicolus Rose (sleeping Rose)-
5 - skrewtmaster - Slytherin 5.****** Vigne de sangsues-Creeper-
6 - Asteria_Malfoy - Slytherin 6.****** Sorcerophagous oleracea-W
7 - elvenprincess - Gryffindor 7.****** Vishula gaurdus (Daughter’s Hair)-
8 - vigneshnimbus - Hufflepuff 8.****** Thanatoplanc (death plankton)
9 - Mimosa - Hufflepuff 9.****** Dinosaurus Vegatalis-L
10 - WanderingPrince - Hufflepuff 10.** Sharkus Terresterum-
11 - HMN - Hufflepuff 11.** Dormant doormat
12 - ArryGrotter - Hufflepuff 12.** Deonaea Maximus-
13 - Den_Muggles - Gryffindor 13.** Fiddlehead Nimbeltoonia-
14 - PureBloodGirl - Slytherin 14.** Vini spiculi-
15 - Alien_Visitor - Hufflepuff 15.** Passerapagus Plant
16 - rigdoctorbri - Ravenclaw 16.** Fungii Calimaruis-
17 - gottriplets - Gryffindor 17.** Non oculum darticus-
18 - twinsrule26 - Hufflepuff 18.** West African Death Trap Plant-
19 - Fawkesfan1 - Gryffindor 19.** Malus Draconus (Evil Dragon Plant)
20 - storyteller - Ravenclaw 20.** The Twinkling Twilight Vampire Plant-:
21 - Colonel_Fubster - Slytherin 21.** Carniverous contracting cactus-
22 - leah49 - Gryffindor 22.** Veelacolatati-
23 - Reader - Hufflepuff 23.** Jellyfish creeping vine-
24 - Tweedlidum - Gryffindor 24.** Crocodile Plant-
25 - Tweedlidam - Hufflepuff 25.** Antrapophagus Aloe-
26 - Daggerstone - Slytherin 26.** Vanda Corvungiusis (Ravenclaw Orchid)-
27 - myosotis - Slytherin 27.** Swallowmee-
28 - LittleElf - Slytherin 28.** Canis custodium-.
29 - MrSleepyHead - Ravenclaw 29.** Daicus combibo- Grumblage root-
30 - wickedwickedboy - Slytherin 30.** Voldermortian Ambush-
31 - Gaian - Gryffindor 31.** mosteria Afectionis-
32 - Anhelda - Ravenclaw 32.** Giant Sleeper spine-
33.** --------
34 - LyraLovegood - Ravenclaw 34.** Scorparius Crysticus Terribilis-
35 - MmeBergerac - Ravenclaw 35.** Merry Killer (mors Hilaria)-
36 - thethirdman - Gryffindor 36.** The furius Death Cactus-:
37 - Melaszka - Ravenclaw 37.** Cor Caritatis
38 - Morning_Star - Ravenclaw 38.** Primula Mycelium (poisenus Sun)-
39 - Klio - Ravenclaw 39.** Hyrcainian Strangler Rose (Rosa Necens Hyrcainian)
40 - Rell - Ravenclaw 40.** Serpentisa
41 - Montse - Gryffindor 41.** Perculousos Rosebud
42 - LikeLuna - Hufflepuff 42.** Assiduois Creeper-
43 - TreacleTarlett - Hufflepuff 43.** Tickling Tentacular-
44 - freelantzer - Hufflepuff 44.** Percitus Florium Impingo (Leaf Launcher)-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contest has ended. The results can be found in Devil's Snare - The Results and Final Entries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professor Sprout has retired, so I'm announcing the next challenge in the contest.

SS/PS“I think we'll be able to pull the door open,” said Ron, peering over the dog’s back. “Want to go first, Hermione?”
“No, I don’t!”
“All right.” Ron gritted his teeth and stepped carefully over the dog’s legs. He bent and pulled the ring of the trapdoor, which swung up and open.
“What can you see?” Hermione said anxiously.
“Nothing – just black – there’s no way of climbing down, we’ll just have to drop.”
Harry, who was still playing the flute, waved at Ron to Ron to get his attention and pointed at himself.
“You want me to go first? Are you sure?” said Ron. “I don’t know how deep this thing goes. Give the flute to Hermione so she can keep him asleep.”
Harry handed the flute over. In the few seconds’ silence, the dog growled and twitched, but the moment Hermione began to play, it fell back into its deep sleep.
Harry climbed over it and looked down through the trapdoor. There was no sign of the bottom.
He lowered himself through the hole until he was hanging on by his fingertips. Then he looked up at Ron and said, “If anything happens to me, don’t follow. Go straight to the owlery and send Hedwig to Dumbledore, right?”
“Right,” said Ron.
“See you in a minute, I hope….”
And Harry let go. Cold, damp air rushed past him as he fell down, down, down and –
FLUMP. With a funny, muffled sort of thump he landed on something soft. He sat up and felt around, his eyes not used to the gloom. It felt as if he was sitting on some sort of plant.
“It’s okay!” he called up to the light the size of a postage stamp, which was the open trapdoor, it’s a soft landing, you can jump!”
Ron followed right away. He landed, sprawled next to Harry.
“What’s this stuff?” were his first words.

Devil's Snare Contest information:    

Task 2: Create a plant to replace Devil’s Snare and describe what it does and how to escape it.

This task will have two elements, artistic and creative writing.

Requirements:

1. The first part of the task is to create a plant that would replace Devil’s Snare. You can choose any format, any media. You can hand draw something, create an image with Paint, Photoshop or other graphics program, modify an image by someone else (as long as you give them credit) or simply provide a picture of a plant that replaces Devil’s Snare. Be as creative as you can but don't forget the family friendly rules.

2. Give your plant a name. The name of the plant should be original, a name that is compatible with the HP Universe.

3. Describe how the plant traps people. Explain in detail what happens when someone falls into the plant from the trap door above. Your description of how the plant traps people should have a 50 word minimum and 200 word maximum.

4. Describe how someone would escape from the plant. Your description of how to escape the plant should have a 50 word minimum and 200 word maximum.

Rules:

1. The entry should include a short description of how you created the picture of the plant. Was it hand-drawn with crayons and then scanned into your computer, was it a picture taken with your camera of a plant you found in the woods, did you use Photoshop to add thorns, for example. Tell us how you made it.

2. Entries will be anonymous, so don’t include any identifying features. For instance, I wouldn’t call my plant the “Neville Longbottom People Eater”, because then everyone would know that it was my entry. Please keep your entry a secret, too. We are trying to make it as fair as possible to everyone. Entries that have been posted on another public website will be disqualified from this contest.

3. Please limit the size of your image to 500x500 pixels and 100KB.

Tech stuff:

Use a site like Photobucket or Flickr to host your picture. Send your entry with the [img] codes. Don’t hot link your picture.

Submission:

1. When you submit your entry, it is finished with no alterations allowed.

This contest is now closed.

Deadline: Tuesday, May 26th - 10:00 pm (Pacific Time) (timezone converter)

Anyone can enter this task, even those people who did not participate in the first task.

Voting: There will be a two step voting process for this contest if we have enough entries to warrant it. People will be able to vote for more than one entry in the first round of voting. The exact voting procedures will be announced after all the entries are in.

********Voting*********
Please go to this thread for the entries and voting instructions:

Voting - Devil's Snare - First Round - 4 Days only!

Comments and questions can be asked in this thread.

Good luck!

__________________________________________________ ___

Judging

The judging for this contest will be in two parts. The first round of judging will be 4 days only, Wednesday, May 27th to Saturday, May 30th. The second and final round will be 4 days, from Sunday May 31st to Wednesday, June 3rd. Details will be posted in the voting instruction thread, to be posted Wednesday.

-----------------------------------------

Information on the final vote is here:

Devil's Snare - The Final Vote

I want to thank everyone who participated by entering, voting and commenting.

Last edited by SusanBones; June 5th, 2009 at 3:45 am.
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2009, 2:58 pm
Gryffindor's Smiley Champion

Re: Through the Trapdoor - Second Challenge - Devil's Snare

Sounds like fun! I'm having a bit of confusion with some of the terminology:

Quote:
Entries that have been posted on another public website will be disqualified from this contest.

Tech stuff:

Use a site like Photobucket or Flickr to host your picture. Send your entry with the [img] codes. Don’t hot link your picture.
Photobucket is public, isn't it? And I thought using the [img] codes was hot linking. I'm not a graphics expert, so I am a bit confused. Is there a way to make a picture posted on Photobucket private?

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many—not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.—Charles Dickens

Proud Gryffindor!
Liberals want big government to ensure they don't fail; conservatives want small government so they can succeed.
Davy Crockett learned a valuable lesson our current congress should learn.

Old May 10th, 2009, 3:05 pm
Inconceivable!

My photobucket account is set to private, so I know it can be done.

I'm sure that someone else has a better definition of hot linking then I do. Does anyone here feel like explaining it?

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old May 10th, 2009, 3:07 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den_muggle View Post
Photobucket is public, isn't it? And I thought using the [img] codes was hot linking. I'm not a graphics expert, so I am a bit confused. Is there a way to make a picture posted on Photobucket private?
Hotlinking is defined as taking an image that's hosted from someone else's account and linking it elsewhere. However, it's not hotlinking if you save the image to your own image account and link it from there. You can indeed make your photobucket account private by changing the account settings [see also SusanBones' explanation]. I hope I'm making sense - feel free to owl me if you're still unclear and I'll try to help.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old May 10th, 2009, 3:47 pm
Fifth Year

Can't we just use the CoS image hosting thing? *is also technologically challenged*

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old May 10th, 2009, 4:45 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
Can't we just use the CoS image hosting thing? *is also technologically challenged*
I was thinking about this as well as I am also technologically challenged. But I'm guessing we can't as people looking at our profiles would see the picture.

Old May 10th, 2009, 4:55 pm
Secret Keeper

Can I make individual photobucket albums private? Because I would rather not make my entire album private sincei do like sharing my pictures from time to time, or should i just make a totally new photobucket account?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old May 10th, 2009, 5:01 pm
Zonko's Employee

You can put a password on your photobucket for visitors and tell people who you want to see your pictures what it is, I think there's a way of making individual albums private too but I'm not sure

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old May 10th, 2009, 5:36 pm
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
Can I make individual photobucket albums private?
yes, you can. go to the menu on the left where it says 'Albums' and you'll see there's an 'Edit' option. you can change the individual settings for each album.

Old May 10th, 2009, 6:18 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83 View Post
I was thinking about this as well as I am also technologically challenged. But I'm guessing we can't as people looking at our profiles would see the picture.
I had a look at CoS image hosting and there's an option ot make it private so I don't think this will be a problem. The only problem I can see is that I don't think you can uplod a picture any bigger than 300 x 300 onto it. But I wouldn't mind that - I can't draw...

"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Last edited by JJFinch; May 10th, 2009 at 6:21 pm.
Old May 10th, 2009, 6:49 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
I had a look at CoS image hosting and there's an option ot make it private so I don't think this will be a problem. The only problem I can see is that I don't think you can uplod a picture any bigger than 300 x 300 onto it. But I wouldn't mind that - I can't draw...
I could be totally wrong about this, but I seem to remember from the election campaigns that some people tried to do this - and the images remained invisible to all but their friends.

It really isn't a problem getting a photobucket account - it's easy to use, and actually, after you've had one for a while, you won't want to be without one.....

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old May 10th, 2009, 7:05 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
I could be totally wrong about this, but I seem to remember from the election campaigns that some people tried to do this - and the images remained invisible to all but their friends.
But you'd only use it to get the picture online, and then once it's on the CoS image hoster you can put it directly into posts, can't you?

Quote:
It really isn't a problem getting a photobucket account - it's easy to use, and actually, after you've had one for a while, you won't want to be without one.....
I don't think that'll happen to me - I can't stand messing around with pictures on the computer.

"I forge' the details."

Old May 10th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
I had a look at CoS image hosting and there's an option ot make it private so I don't think this will be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
I was going to point this out, and Klio beat me to it. The problem with the Private CoS image hosting is that people can't see the picture. I've had the problem with pictures for the Party thread and the Dragon Quidditch thread, although my CoS albums are all public. So CoS as a host for images is out, go with Photobucket or another hosting site.

Old May 10th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Ooooh this is such a cool task! Much more up my alley than music

Old May 10th, 2009, 9:13 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Are there any size limits or requirements on the image we submit?

Oh, and just to be clear on it, for the description...

Quote:
3. Describe how the plant traps people. Explain in detail what happens when someone falls into the plant from the trap door above. Your description should have a 50 word minimum and 200 word maximum.

4. Describe how someone would escape from the plant. Your description should have a 50 word minimum and 200 word maximum.
Is that 200-word maximum, each -- do #3 and #4 count as separate descriptions, such that I could have 400 words of description total?

Last edited by Pox Voldius; May 10th, 2009 at 9:42 pm.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:18 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
Are there any size limits or requirements on the image we submit?
We'll have a 500x500 pixel and 100KB limit on the images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius
Oh, and just to be clear on it, for the description...

Is that 200-word maximum, each -- do #3 and #4 count as separate descriptions, such that I could have 400 words of description total?
Your description of how the plant traps people would have a 200 word maximum limit on it. Your description of how you escape from the plant has a 200 word limit. Neither description can exceed 200 words. Does that help?

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old May 11th, 2009, 1:37 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Yes, that does help! Thanks!

*is busily working away on her entry*

Old May 11th, 2009, 2:04 am
[user title]

I already have an idea for a plant and how it traps you. I just need to make a picture and come up with the description thing. I am glad there is more to it than just drawing the picture, since Rell will be in on this one.
*I wonder if we can get a non artistic handicap.*

Old May 11th, 2009, 2:51 am
She Who Walks Behind

Well, making your albums private is only there to prevent people from viewing all of your pics. It does not hide who made the picture. Take Rell's sig pic for example, even if the album is made private, you can still figure out that it's from hers when you take a look at the link:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j250/rell_02/castlesig.jpg

Edit: Which obviously doesn't matter as all the entries will be uploaded to another account anyways, so ignore me.

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; May 11th, 2009 at 2:55 am.
Old May 11th, 2009, 3:09 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

This one sounds way beyond me . . . maybe I can get something presentable together, but I might be out of this round.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References > The Quibbler > Quibbler Breaking News > News archives > Through the Trap Door