Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

About female characters

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:27 pm
Third Year

About female characters

While most of the focus is on Harry, we see a lot of Hermione and her role in the books. But there's other female characters, of whom we don't get to know as much as we would, but from what we do know from the books who would you pick as your:

1. Favourite over-all character?
2. Favourite character on the side of the light/dark?
3. A character you'd like to know more about?

As for Hermione, quite a few people (who I've spoken to in RL) seem to see her as a 2D character - 'just a bookworm' but there's actually a lot more to her. She does tend to break rules just as much as Harry, even though she's just as much against it. And she's not just a bookworm, she's got a mind that tends to capture details really well.

My second favourite would be Luna. She's quite a quirky but very sweet girl. It's nice to see that Harry's also connected to her at a level that most people don't - he's accepted her quirkyness. I'd really have liked to see/read more about her in the books.

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2009, 4:53 pm
First Year

Re: About female characters!

My favorite would be Nymphadora Tonks. She is such a colorful character and brightens the situation and she must be a good witch, otherwise she wouldn't be an Auror. Even though she is bad with household spells doesn't it mean she is bad with other spells.
Second is Luna because of her quirkyness. Reading the scenes involving her are always my favorites.

For the dark side, it would be Bellatrix Lestrange. She is so evil and mad and you wouldn't want to meet her f you belong to the light side.

I'd really like to know more about those three. There isn't much we know about them and it would be interesting to learn more about their lives.

Old May 28th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Yes, there are other female characters, but my favorite remains Hermione Granger. There's only one HP character I like more.

Why do I like Hermione? She's smart, has amusing and believable quirks (I loved her the moment we set eyes on her, trying to boss everyone around and show off on the Hogwarts Express), and is very loyal, a trait I admire.

Not too many dark-side females to choose from...I guess Narcissa Malfoy. I like the whole Malfoy family. What I like about Cissy is her devotion to her family, and also her style. She is easy to overlook, but tough and gets things done.

Minerva McGonagall. She's my second favorite after Hermione. I suppose it would be interesting to learn how she came to teach, about her family and relationships, and similar. Oh, and I would love to see her have a nice chat with the portrait of Professor Snape in her office.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old May 28th, 2009, 6:40 pm
First Year

Unoriginally Hermione . Like others have said I like the traits she has (Loyalty , bravery , intelligence ) and I think she played a crucial part in the downfall of voldemort .
from the dark side I would pick Bellatrix , there's just something so intriguing about the difference between her and Narcrissa that has me glued to the page ( or the forums ) .
Umbridge , I can't get enough of her , I wnat to know all about her blood status , upbringing , time at Hogwarts , everything .

Old May 28th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Suteki da ne

I have to say Hermione is my favourite female character. We know that she's one of the main character- if Hermione hadn't been friends with them then Harry would have been entirely alone for part of DH- and Harry really needed her...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old May 28th, 2009, 7:56 pm
First Year

Luna, because she knows who she is, and doesn't care what other people think, plus she helps Harry and the Trio in the Department of Mysteries. My second favorite is Hermione though, I've always been a bookworm too.

Bellatrix. She's totally crazy, but a very interesting character.

I think I agree about Minerva McGonagall, she is also an interesting character.

Old May 28th, 2009, 8:12 pm
Fourth Year

That would be Tonks. I've loved her from the beginning and I loved her even more when she fell in love with Remus. She's so sweet, funny and quirky.

Bellatrix. She's interesting.

Narcissa and Bellatrix. I'd like to know what made them make the choices they made.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old May 28th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

favorite all around character: a toss-up between Ginny and Luna. They both like Harry and they both need more time to develop as characters.
Favorite character on side of light or dark? Prof. McGonagall.
Character you would like to know more about. Luna. There are times when I see myself as her, bluntspoken and a bit odd.

Old May 28th, 2009, 8:37 pm
First Year

This is a fascinating thread, which I think allies itself well with feminist criticism of the novels. My compliments to the original poster - this is a great idea, and it's been interesting to read so far.

As for my favorite overall character, it would definitely have to be Minerva McGonagall. I think she, out of all of the female characters with the exception of Hermione, is the best example we're given of a strong female character: she is strong, intelligent and gifted. Rowling has been quoted as saying that, although she is no Dumbledore, she "is a very worthy second in command." Considering Dumbledore is likely the most magically talented character in the novels, I think that's quite the lofty praise for McGonagall. She's also one of the few who duels with Voldemort in the final battle, was skilled enough to become an animagus and mastered the field of transfiguration, one which I presume is among the most difficult. I would be fascinated to hear about her personal history, which I am willing to bet includes an impressive quidditch career during her own time at Hogwarts.

My favorite character on the "dark side," I think it's notable that we don't get to see very many impressive females on Voldemort's side. We could posit that this could be for multiple reasons. Perhaps females weren't as susceptible to being enchanted by Voldemort's brand of power. More likely, I think, is that sexism is prevalent in their ranks, and very few females (beyond the absolutely remarkable) would have been accepted. Bellatrix and Alecto are two of the only female death eaters I can remember. Were any other specific ones mentioned? I don't have a favorite out of the two - neither are particularly interesting to me.

I'd like to know more about Dolores Umbridge, because quite frankly, I think she's the most fascinating character that Rowling set about creating. Perhaps this is because she's the most realistic - those of us familiar with government bureaucracy have met men and women like her, and are grateful that her special quill and the cruciatius curse aren't available to muggles, otherwise they would be in wide use. :O

"I don't wonder you're shocked, Potter," said Madam Pomfrey, with a kind of fierce approval in her face. "As if one of them could have Stunned Minerva McGonagall face-on by daylight! Cowardice, that's what it was... despicable cowardice..."

"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." -President Obama
Old May 28th, 2009, 8:49 pm
First Year

Luna Lovegood

She's so different from the other students I love how she walks to the beat of her own drum. She has a confidence about her. I would have love to read more about her. I think she should have been one of the main friends from book one.

Bellatrix I just want to know why she chose the dark lord to follow.

Luna and Bella

Old May 28th, 2009, 8:53 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoe4Lilly View Post
Luna Lovegood...I think she should have been one of the main friends from book one.
I'm prone to agreeing with you, but I do wonder whether she would have been as powerful a character if she had been introduced in the second novel rather than the fifth. Harry's world is rather confined early on, and I wonder how well he would have interacted with Luna before his horizons broadened. We're also prone to seeing the houses divided at that time, particularly considering the hatred most students had for Harry during the Chamber of Secrets. 'Course, she could have tickled the basilisk for him, and Fawkes would have been unnecessary. (Kidding, kidding.)

As a Harry/Luna shipper, however, I would have been thrilled. That, unfortunately, is my canon-free penchant of desire.

"I don't wonder you're shocked, Potter," said Madam Pomfrey, with a kind of fierce approval in her face. "As if one of them could have Stunned Minerva McGonagall face-on by daylight! Cowardice, that's what it was... despicable cowardice..."

"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." -President Obama
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:50 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Augusta Longbottom/Merope Gaunt

Merope Gaunt

Hagrid's mother.

Old May 29th, 2009, 12:09 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

I'm going to exclude Hermione from this answer, because she's the most developed female character in the book, therefore the default answer, IMHO. However, if we're talking about less visible females, here my answers:

1) Favorite Overall Character:
Lily Evans Potter. She is the reason that everything happened. She is the reason Harry survived the attack and was protected for the next 16 years. She's the reason Snape turned out to be Dumbledore's man instead of Riddle's, the reason Harry got the horcrux memory from Slughorn. Until DH, we know almost nothing about her--she is defined only by her role in other people's lives--Harry's mother, James' wife, Petunia's sister, etc. Only in Snape's Worst Memory and in Slughorn's reminiscences about her Potions skills do we see that Lily was a fully fleshed person of her own. Then comes DH, and we learn that Lily was a fantastic person, with a strong sense of friendship (because it has to have been hard to have a Slytherin best friend when you're a Gryffindor), family (because she defended her sister when Snape attacked or derided her and wanted to be friends with Petunia despite Tooney's turning against her when Hogwarts said no muggles allowed), morality, strength, and compassion. I would love to know more about this remarkable woman who was so central to the lives of so many in the Potterverse. So I guess Lily is also my answer for question #3 about who do you want to know more about.

2) Favourite character on the side of the light/dark?
On the side of the light, I would say it's a toss up between Minerva McGonagall and Luna Lovegood. Both of them are interesting, strong women with well-defined personalities and both provide solid support for Harry as he goes through his adventures. They couldn't be more different from each other, but they're both great characters.
On the side of the Dark, I'd say Narcissa Black Malfoy. This is mainly because, when the chips are down, she recognizes that her family is more important to her than some snake-faced power-hungry freak who couldn't care less about the life of her son or husband and who doesn't care how much he disrupts her life. She's still a snobby, bigoted scumbag, but at least she has some family values.

3) A character you'd like to know more about?
As I said above, Lily is probably my first answer, but I would also like to learn more about Tonks--we see her only a little, but she's such a fun character and I would like to have seen more of her.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old May 29th, 2009, 2:10 am
Seventh Year

Hermione, definitely

Once again, Hermione on the light side. On the dark side, can't say I really have a favourite.

I'd like to know a lot more about Ginny. I feel like we don't know a whole lot about her.

Old May 29th, 2009, 3:14 am
Second Year

About characters I have lot of things to say, cuz I love HP characters.

I adore Trelawney, she is funny, weird, yes, funny *hip* with her bottles of jerez LOL she is fantastic, a very Harry Potter´s type character out of standars of what female characters are in mostly everything.

1. Hermione Granger is the most important character, as important as his male friend and star Harry Potter. And it´s odd, because she is not written to be as important, or to star in Harry Potter as... Harry Potter.

In the movies I like her when she was younger, I don´t like Hermione Granger in the movie after Goblet of Fire. They ruined her.

Maybe I like the trio more in the first three books too.

2. Bellatrix is the best female villain of the very few I have seen, but in the Order of the Phoenix the book; in the movie they have the perfect actress but they ruined her: in the movie she was definitely portrayed weaker. And after that moment of The Order, I don´t like they are adding Bellatrix in new movies. That moment is already ruined.
Umbridge, well, as I said before, in the topic about our favorite DADA teacher.

3. Minerva McGonagall!! She is close to be as important as Dumbledore in Hogwarts but find no important in the book.

Last edited by Puppet_Master; May 29th, 2009 at 3:17 am.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna_Leonhart View Post
My favorite would be Nymphadora Tonks. She is such a colorful character and brightens the situation and she must be a good witch, otherwise she wouldn't be an Auror. Even though she is bad with household spells doesn't it mean she is bad with other spells.
Second is Luna because of her quirkyness. Reading the scenes involving her are always my favorites.

For the dark side, it would be Bellatrix Lestrange. She is so evil and mad and you wouldn't want to meet her f you belong to the light side.

I'd really like to know more about those three. There isn't much we know about them and it would be interesting to learn more about their lives.
I agree I love Tonks and wish that I could have seen and known more about her. But I knew enough to feel bad for her when she was having trouble with Lupin and when they were both killed. I was absolutely devastated!

I agree about Hermione as well. I love her and even though she is a book worm she shows her tough side in the third last book. She shows how smart she is - but also that she can kick some butt.

Old May 30th, 2009, 12:16 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Hermione is my favourite character - of all the characters, male and female.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I like Rita Skeeter a lot, if she could be counted towards the darker side.

Maybe the Black sisters. It would be really interesting to read a story about their childhood and youth in the Black family and Hogwarts, and the relationship between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post
As for Hermione, quite a few people (who I've spoken to in RL) seem to see her as a 2D character - 'just a bookworm' but there's actually a lot more to her.
Wow. I'd say Hermione is probably the best fleshed-out charavter in the serioes, in my opinion. She has plenty of facets. I really can't see how she could be perceived as just a bookworm and nothing else.

Old May 30th, 2009, 12:43 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Wow. I'd say Hermione is probably the best fleshed-out charavter in the serioes, in my opinion. She has plenty of facets. I really can't see how she could be perceived as just a bookworm and nothing else.
I agree with you there.

Comment on some of the entries:
I'm surprised by how many of you seem to like Bellatrix from the dark seid.
Me, I think I like her sister better - though to be honest I think my opinion is more likely influence from a very in-character NarcissaBlack!FanFic version.
But yes, I prefer her than the psychotic one. I feel repulsed by her. Especially in DH in the Forbidden Forest when Harry reveals himself.

Also:
Quote:
I like the whole Malfoy family. What I like about Cissy is her devotion to her family, and also her style.
Family dedication - yes.
Style... ? In the books, JK leaves most of it to us to imagine. There was a picture they're released of movie?Narcissa, and it just didn't look right.

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old May 30th, 2009, 4:26 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post
Style... ? In the books, JK leaves most of it to us to imagine. There was a picture they're released of movie?Narcissa, and it just didn't look right.
I don't mean style as in makeup, haircut, and clothes. Though even without description, we can probably assume she dresses in the best taste - the woman lives in a manor house with white peacocks roaming the grounds, after all! I meant personal style, the sentence you did not include is a clarification of my meaning, not a separate thought.

Narcissa seems a very traditional doting Mom and submissive wife. She leaves the Death Eating to her hubby and son (and her tomboy of a sister. ) But this is not actually, as I see it, a true picture of her. Draco attends the school SHE wanted him to attend, not the school Daddy considered sending him to. And she is quite able to take matters into her own hands when necessary, as when she arranges for Snape to protect her son. She is a source of strength to Lucius in the final year of the series. And she is able to keep up an act, as when she is coldly arrogant in front of Harry in HBP (sure, the UV doubtless was reassuring, but I figure she must still have had some worries!), or when she lies to Voldemort in the end.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old May 30th, 2009, 4:32 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
But this is not actually, as I see it, a true picture of her. Draco attends the school SHE wanted him to attend, not the school Daddy considered sending him to. And she is quite able to take matters into her own hands when necessary, as when she arranges for Snape to protect her son. She is a source of strength to Lucius in the final year of the series.
I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head when it comes to Narcissa - she is, in many ways, the quiet source of strength within her family, the backbone if you will. She's a true Slytherin, also - it's all about self-preservation, but it also extends to her husband and son, and I think she's a truly admirable character. She possesses none of the broad courage that we may assume Lily Evans had, but I believe she would make the same sacrifice for her own child if it were necessary. She doesn't seem to have any further loyalties, even if she might be a Voldemort sympathizer and blood-based bigot. I wonder, though, how many would see her as a parallel of Lily while reading the novels.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak