Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Soundtrack Discussions (Updated)

Old June 15th, 2009, 6:51 am
Fourth Year

Harry Potter Soundtrack Discussions (Updated)

So I've been wanting to start this thread for a while. The Harry Potter films have, imo, have been very good. We've had the legend John Williams compose the first 3, Patrick Doyle, and now Nicholas Hooper has done 5 and the soon to be released 6.

I've searched and there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to the discussion of these soundtracks so welcome!

Here let's discuss our favorite and least favorite composers, albums, and tracks. We can also discuss what we look forward to hearing for the future albums and I'm interested to see who everyone wants back on for the final 2 films.

So here are the soundtracks in order and I will list beneath them my favorite songs from each.

Released: Oct. 30, 2001
Composed and Conducted by: John Williams
Standout Tracks: Hedwigs Theme, Harry's Wonderous World, The Arrival of Baby Harry, The Chess Match, The Face of Voldemort, and The Norwegian Ridgeback and a Change of Season (really the Change of Season portion. I LOVE that bit).

Released: November 12, 2002
Music Composed by: John Williams
Music Adapted and Conducted by: William Ross
Standout Tracks: Fawkes the Phoenix, The Chamber of Secrets, Gilderoy Lockhart, The Flying Car, and Meeting Tom Riddle.

Released: May 24, 2004
Composed by: John Williams
Standout Tracks: Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme), Aunt Marge's Waltz, Double Trouble, Buckbeaks Flight, and A Window to the Past.

Released: Nov. 15, 2005
Composed by: Patrick Doyle
Additional Tracks Composed by: Jarvis Crocker and Jason Buckle
Standout Tracks: The Story Continues, The Quidditch World Cup, The Dark Mark, Harry in Winter, Hogwarts Hymn, Death of Cedric, and Magic Works.

Released: July 10, 2007
Composed by: Nicholas Hooper
Standout Tracks: Professor Umbridge, The Room of Requirement, Dumbledore's Army, Possession, and Death of Sirius

2012 Edit

Released: July 14, 2009
Composed by: Nicholas Hooper
Standout Tracks: In Noctem, Journey to the Cave, Malfoy's Mission, Ron's Victory, Harry and Hermione, and Dumbledore's Farewell

Released: November 16, 2010
Composed by: Alexandre Desplat
Standout Tracks: Oblivate, Snape to Malfoy Manor, The Locket, Lovegood, and Sky Battle

Released: July 12, 2011
Composed by: Alexandre Desplat
Standout Tracks: Courtyard Apocolypse, Lily's Theme, Dragon Flight, and Broomsticks and Fire.

Now if I were to rank them by favorite it would be:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

PoA, while not as strong in it's second half as it's first, has some really REALLY strong themes. The tracks I named above as standouts make this album. They're full of so much emotion and great instrumentation. Williams really did a fine job with this soundtrack and I'm hoping he returns. Alot of the themes on this album haven't reappeared in the latter soundtracks which is a shame I think. A Window to the Past SHOULD HAVE been in Order of the Phoenix. My favorite version of Hedwig's Theme also appears on this soundtrack. There's so much I can say but I'll save it for future posts

Sorcerer's Stone brough us Hedwig's Theme. John Williams, once again, created a theme that stuck. Every Harry Potter fan knows this song. It has been used in every soundtrack in various forms and is THE Harry Potter song. I still wonder why he named it after Hedwig (which will make it all the more sad when DH comes) but I never get tired of listening to it. That's probably why the 1st soundtrack is my 2nd favorite. I can never get tired of the song and it is played ALOT on this soundtrack. Change of Seasons is another favorite of mine and The Face of Voldemort created a chilling theme for our villian which, unfortunatly, wasn't used again after the 2nd film

The Order of the Phoenix soundtrack works better in the movie than on it's own. I think it's good but there aren't many tracks that standout when you're listening to it on it's own. The themes that do standout (see above) are done very well and I applaud Hooper for atleast trying to stick to the sound Williams created. He got the 'feeling' that Williams started while keeping it his own. By no means do I want another composer coming in trying to mock Williams (which is easy to do, see Jurassic Park 3 ) so I give him kudos for making a soundtrack that's very much similar to what Williams created, but very much his own.

Now Chamber of Secrets I can only tolerate because of the songs I listed above. Fawkes the Phoenix is brilliant...wonderful...one of my favorite pieces and is the standout on this album. This was the last time we heard the original Voldemort's Theme which is why it beat out GoF to me. It's basically a rehash of the first one but I always hoped Fawkes the Phoenix would make some sort of reprise in Order...once again...a missed oppurtunity.

The Goblet of Fire soundtrack sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Doyle didn't really do anything to make it stand out to me. You could stick most of this soundtrack in any fantasy film and it'll work. I do love his take on Hedwig's Theme though and there are some tracks I really enjoy but as a whole it feels flat to me. I hate HATE that he changed the Voldemort theme already established. However as a stand alone it's a well done album, just in the realm of Harry Potter it just doesn't sit well with me.

Interesting tidbit: Neville has the most songs named after him out of any character on all the soundtracks

I know this post was long winded but I only scratched the surface. I can't wait to discuss with the rest of you these soundtracks!

Oh and I hope Williams comes back for one of the DH films

2012 Update:

Well as we all know Williams didn't come back! I ran across this post and realized it's not complete! So here I am doing an up to date overview of the, now, entire work of the Harry Potter musical world.

If I were to rank them now it would be:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Ah how time has changed things! Azkaban is still my favorite because that album takes me back to a time when I was a huge Harry Potter fan. That first half of the album still reigns over all of the other soundtracks imo

Half Blood Prince is my favorite overall album of the series however. Hooper came back and created in my eyes his masterpiece. The thing I love about that album is how simple it is. He did so much with so little. The entire album just reeks of sadness and continues to build towards the end of Albus Dumbledore. From the opening until the end I felt this album is the only one I can listen to all the way and feel the story progress with it. There are some duds on the soundtrack (The killing of DUmbledore being one of them) but I think Hooper went out on top. I love that he brought back some of his own themes and it was great to hear the Quidditch scene from movie 3 again!

Of course we all wanted Williams back but instead we got Desplat. Not a bad choice. I think he is the closest thing we got to Williams out of all the composers and he did a great job.

Part 1 is a great listen. The stand out tracks that I listed are just that. They are incredible. The majority of the album is just a reprise of most of those tracks. It's consistent. Sky Battle was everything I hoped it would be and more! I loved hearing Hedwig's Theme as Hedwig met her end and for the first time I could listen to action music that worked well in the film on it's own. The Locket (which is the theme for the Horcruxes) is also another favorite of mine.

Part 2 is wonderful. Now Part 2 as it is in the movie is INCREDIBLE and would be my favorite, but a lot of the Williams (and Hoopers to my suprise) tracks aren't included on the album form so it had to fall a few spots I love that he built a heartbreaking score with an undercurrent of hope. The music for the battle scenes were not what I expected. As we saw the school we escaped to in our memories crumple the music matched that. I'm glad he didn't go for "epic battle music" Dragon Flight is the best flight song since Buckbeat and I'm a sucker for the little 'The Locket' inclusion at the end of Broomsticks and Fire when the Horcrux is destroyed in the movie.

Final Thoughts?

Question mark because my thoughts always seem to change

I am happy with what we ended up with. I know plenty of us, especially going through it, imagined the soundtracks going so many different ways. I love the variety that we have (which is why I actually moved Goblet of Fire up, it works with that film!). I still hate that many of the themes didn't connect throughout but no use crying over it now. I listen to the music more than I watch the movie now and they always take me back to that period in time when the anticipation of a new release was what kept me going. So to Williams, Doyle, Hooper, and Desplat thank you all for doing such a great job. Some soundtracks could've been better and some were near masterpieces but they are all a part of something that was truly incredible.

"In my life I have seen things that are unimaginably
horrific. I know now...you will see worse."

Last edited by Phrozenone; February 8th, 2012 at 6:36 pm. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2009, 7:57 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Re: Harry Potter Soundtrack Discussions

Ooh, soundtracks!

I must first confess the only ones I have fully listened to are GoF and OotP Usually I can't get through GoF (and I agree with you that it feels so different), but OotP is a work of genius! (I can't wait for the HBP soundtrack)

My favourite OotP songs have to be: Fireworks, Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning, Death Of Sirius, Darkness Takes Over, Room of Requirement, Possession, Flight of the Order of the Phoenix, A Journey to hogwarts... Did I miss any?

I'm actuall looking forward to Hooper completing the series though i wouldn't mind if Williams and him joint did DH Personally, I found Williams' scores too dull in the case of PS and CoS (I sometimes despise hedwig's theme) or too over excited in the case of PoA

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old June 15th, 2009, 8:11 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I have all the soundtracks, and I think POA is definitely my favorite. It was the first one I purchased and I know all the songs. Williams is brilliant on this soundtrack. My favorite songs would be Window to the Past, Aunt Marge's Waltz, Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme), Finale, and of course Mischief Managed!.

PS/SS and COS are the two I hardly ever listen to, only because those were the last two soundtracks I bought after OOTP, and I never really listen to them. I only really listen to the songs which I recognize.
PS/SS: Harry's Wonderous World, Prologue, Hogwarts Forever! and the Moving Stairs, The Quidditch Match, and Christmas at Hogwarts.
COS: Prologue:Book II and the Escape from the Dursleys, Fawkes the Phoenix, Gilderoy Lockhart, Fawkes is Reborn.

GOF is probably tied with POA because I always manage to listen to that one. My favorite songs are Harry in Winter, Potter Waltz, Hogwarts March, Death of Cedric, Another Year Ends, Hogwarts Hym, Voldemort.

OOTP was put together very well too. My favorite songs would be Another Story, Dumbledore's Army, A Journey to Hogwarts, The Sirius Deception, The Death of Sirius, The Sacking of Trelawney, Loved Ones and Leaving. I must admit though, there are times when it seems as though the music gets rather quite and gets hard to heard, especially during Possession.

The two songs which I constantly hit repeat for is Harry in Winter and The Sacking of Trelawney.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:01 am
Fifth Year

I've not listened to them recently, so I won't say too much about PS/COS (other than I thought they were mostly phoned-in). However, I have listened to POA, GOF and OOTP in their entirety.

POA is without doubt the finest one for me. It's amazing just how different in style it is to the first two movies, it has so much more of an identity, so much more texture and just feels like a lot more care was invested into it. The change from typical Williams instruments in PS/COS, to the more unconventional harpsichord and some restrained choral elements really gave the film a stronger personality than either of the first two. While I thought PS and COS shared a lot in common with John Williams previous works (in fact I still think to this day that the music during the Quidditch sequence in COS is the same as the speeder chase in Attack of the Clones), so much so that it bordered on self-parody, with POA he clearly tried to avoid lapsing into his usual style, and I think the score is all the better for it. It introduces some great new themes, a medieval sound, and fits the Potter world like a glove.

My favourite track is Double Trouble - Just wonderful. Straight away Williams has given us something different to the first two films, the choir with the harpsichord backing, as well as using the lyrics from Macbeth to tie the song to out established ideas on witchcraft. The medieval sound does a fantastic job of conjuring up a history for the magical world, like this is a classic 'hymn' from wizarding history. The rest of the score is just as good.

GOF was very different, and while I think it's a lot worse than POA, it still has it's moments. The main thing I dislike about it is that Doyle totally jettisoned the medieval sound from POA, and instead used a more standard set of instruments. A lot of it sounds rather dull, straightforward soaring strings, loud horns and little else, but there are tracks in there that have a touch of the Potter style. Frank Dies is good, it's atmospheric and introduces the Voldemort theme, which, much like Double Trouble, serves as the backbone to a lot of the music here. The Goblet Of Fire is good too, again, it has a lot of atmosphere and the pounding drums towards the end work really well. Hogwarts March was a fun piece, Doyle expanding on the choir of POA with a small brass band. The Maze and Voldemort are strong too, and Death of Cedric is very, very good. I do think that a lot of the other tracks though, don't handle the threat of Voldemort well. Many of those moments feel a little too cartoonish for my liking, moments like the very end of The Dark Mark.

My favourite track is probably Death Of Cedric.

OOTP didn't do much for me. I thought it was bland, that it had little identity, and was generally a lot less evocative than either POA or GOF. It had two good tracks in the Possession and the Sacking of Trelawney, and a handful of decent cues, the moment that Sirius dies, some stuff in the Ministry, but overall I found it totally forgettable, lacking the Potter feel, and considering the tone of the story, the vast majority of the music was just far too cheerful. IMO Yates made a mistake in hiring his buddy Hooper, and I'm surprised the studio was willing to hire a director, composer and editor who had only worked with TV stuff. I also with xhanax315 that the music gets very quiet sometimes, so much so that parts of the movie feel like they have no music at all.

Old June 15th, 2009, 5:15 pm
Fourth Year

Ah yes Yoshi you touched on something I wanted to mention. Some of the tracks on the first 2 definatly sound similar to alot of Willaims other work. There is this bit in 'The Face of Voldemort' that sounds eerily like 'The Imperial March' It hit me instantly and I still chuckle at the thought of Darth Riddle.

Like I said above the first soundtrack, especially, was basically Hedwig's Theme. It was played so much. I really enjoy 'Harry's Wondorous World' though. I didn't like that song much for years but I've recently grown fond of it. I think it's just the nostalgia maybe but the first album holds a place in this heart of mine. I think it was the first soundtrack album I bought.

A Window to the Past hits all the right chords though. That song is probably one of my all time favorite Williams pieces, and that's saying something I still can't believe it's been basically ignored in the following films. The solo performance (by Richard Harvey) is brilliant and I love how it slowly builds and builds and then BAM...and then softens again. It's interesting that with PoA there isn't really a specific character theme. The Dementors get one but that's it. This soundtrack focused more on the mood than the characters. He could've very well made a Sirius, Lupin, and Trelawney theme but I'm glad he didn't.

The timpani opening to 'Buckbeak's Flight' is fun. I played this song for one of my fellow music school classmates once and asked what it made him think about. He said flight so I knew Williams was right on the money 'Double Trouble' is THE sound of Prisoner though. It was in the very first trailer and it's heard throughout the entire album.

I see what you guys are saying about Hooper. There are some tracks on the album I just can't listen to because the music's sooooo low and you turn it up and BAM there's a cue that blows your ears off.

Another problem I have with the Order soundtrack is the lack of a central theme. Hooper says it's 'Possession'...and maybe it was in the original cut of the film, but with what we have it's just one track. Nothing ties the tracks together. Even with GoF the 'Voldemort' theme was prominant and made the album feel whole. I remember getting irratated with Hooper because he insisted Possession was this central theme. They didn't even play it during the film when Harry was being possessed! They could've played it during his dream sequences..but no...we hear it once, and it's a good song, but come on man!

I don't think Hooper knew where to go with Order. I was hoping he brought back the Harry/Cho theme from GOF, Windows, and Fawkes atleast. I understand he wanted to be original but nothing just seems to connect to me on Order. With all it's problems I still think it's better than COS and you heard my reasoning for Goblet up above.

Old June 15th, 2009, 5:36 pm
Seventh Year

I don't have the time at the moment to go on about each one, but I'll say now that my favorite of the scores (I don't actually have any of the soundtracks, so I'm mostly thinking of how they work in context) is easily Prisoner of Azkaban; I like Williams' first two scores, but PoA is the most beautiful, eclectic, and memorable of the lot. "A Window to the Past" is in my opinion the standout piece of the entire series to date (and one of my very favorite John Williams themes too); I would hope that, especially if Williams returns for DH, it would reappear when Harry sees James, Lily, Sirius, and Remus in the forest because it's gut-wrenching in its way. "Buckbeak's Flight" is note-perfect in its sense of flight and adventure, as well. However, I'm going to disagree with the praise of "Double Trouble" because I just find it sledgehammer-obvious, especially in the film (it doesn't help that it seems out of character for Dumbledore to bring in a choir to sing a song like that on the first day).

Order of the Phoenix comes in at the bottom; it's a very uneven score, setting just the right mood in some areas and being way off in others. I love "Professor Umbridge," which I feel is a wonderfully bombastic piece that suits her more-and-more-controlling persona well. "The Room of Requirement" is also effective, rousing but not over the top. Then there are pieces like "Possession" or "Death of Sirius" which I feel like I should really remember but don't.

Old June 15th, 2009, 5:50 pm
First Year

I'm going to agree with the majority here and say that Azkaban and Goblet are my favourite soundtracks, with Order coming in last. PoA, in my opinion, built on the best themes from the first two films so that the score was familiar but with a bit more "magic" - especially Double Trouble which i loved! I don't think it was out of character for Dumbledore to have a choir performing on the first day either, he enjoys chamber music after all, and in the books they sing a school song too. The medieval sound and slightly chilling sound was just right.

Order (like the other posters have said) isn't consistant enough for me. I do like the soundtrack when Umbridge is on screen though...I think its perfect for her; jaunty tunes on the woodwind with a menacing underlying feeling.

Old June 15th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops
...it doesn't help that it seems out of character for Dumbledore to bring in a choir to sing a song like that on the first day).
I don't know. A lot of private schools open the school year with a musical performance. The school choir performed regularly at the school I attended, and a boarding school the size of Hogwarts would have one IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone
I was hoping he brought back the Harry/Cho theme from GOF, Windows, and Fawkes atleast.
I wonder what the issue is with these old themes. I understand that a new composer would want to put their own mark on it, but there's no reason to totally throw out so many good themes. I guess there must be a royalty issue where they have to pay Williams if they use one of his themes, and WB just can't be bothered. I know they have to tack on a credit for Williams when they use Hedwig's theme.

Old June 15th, 2009, 8:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
It's interesting that with PoA there isn't really a specific character theme. The Dementors get one but that's it. This soundtrack focused more on the mood than the characters. He could've very well made a Sirius, Lupin, and Trelawney theme but I'm glad he didn't.
There is a really interesting theme for Peter Pettigrew in PoA - I really like it, but it's not on the official soundtrack(:

Old June 15th, 2009, 8:44 pm
Second Year

I especially liked order of the phoenix. My favorites were "Fireworks", "Flight of the Order of the Phoenix", "Dumbledore's Army", "Death of Sirius", "Loved ones and Leaving", "A Journey to Hogwarts", and "Professor Umbridge". Oh my, I have too many favorites...

“I hope you’re pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed — or worse, expelled.” ~Hermione Granger

"Harry Potter, it's not Twilight, you know; we're not selling sex." ~Emma Watson
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Seventh Year

Oh, I don't think it's out of character to have a choir at all. That song, however, what with its chorus of "something wicked this way comes," seems a bit much to me, almost contradicting the point of his speech. It does fit the mood of the film like the proverbial glove, I can't deny that.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; June 16th, 2009 at 2:13 am.
Old June 16th, 2009, 1:47 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops
Oh, I don't think it's out of character to have a choir at all. That song, however, what with its chorus of "something wicked this way comes," seems a bit much to me. It does fit the mood like the proverbial glove, I can't deny that.
I agree that the lyrics of the song are slightly out-of-place in a school environment, but the key to this song is that it is taken from Shakespeare's Macbeth. Dumbledore admits to reading Muggle newspapers, and I think, as scholarly as he is presented, he was not only familiar with wizarding literature, but Muggle literature (especially that involving magical people) as well. Therefore, I do not think it out of character for Dumbledore to, at the least, approve of a song that comes from a Muggle play (assuming, in the Wizarding world, Shakespeare was not truly a wizard) and describes wizards. I think it would be more in character if individuals like Lucius Malfoy objected to the song, since they would see it as "pro-Muggle."

I do enjoy Double Trouble and its involvement in the PoA soundtrack, even if its presentation contradicts the text. From Dumbledore's notes on The Fountain of Fair Fortune, from The Tales of Beedle the Bard:
Beedle the Bard, The Fountain of Fair Fortune, Page 39, AmericanHeadmaster Armando Dippet imposed a blanket ban on future pantomimes, a proud non-theatrical tradition that Hogwarts continues to this day.

Although these notes reference pantomimes and "non-theatrical tradition," I think they show how Hogwarts does not take part in performances at opening feasts, etc., like some Muggle schools may do. The most we see is the singing of the Hogwarts School Song. Personally, I would have loved to see the Hogwarts School Song be the foundation for one of the film's score, similarly done how Double Trouble was.

Nevertheless, I think this song is a brilliant work of John Williams, and it suits the film very nicely.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 16th, 2009, 3:10 am
Third Year

My favorite song from all of the HP soundtracks is Harry In Winter. It really expresses anyone's feelings, and the tone is mutual. If you think it sounds happy, it does. If you think it sounds sad, it does too. It all depends on everyone's opinion because the song is really great, and it could be in the tone of any emotion. Hedwig's Theme and Harry's Wondrous World would have to be my second and third favorite songs, well, because it fits Harry Potter just too well!

Old June 16th, 2009, 5:34 am
Seventh Year

I am really ashamed and embarassed to admit that I haven't got the soundtracks to any of the movies ....

I really need to go out and buy them.

Old June 16th, 2009, 5:59 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_xx View Post
I am really ashamed and embarassed to admit that I haven't got the soundtracks to any of the movies ....

I really need to go out and buy them.
It's okay! I didn't buy any soundtracks either. I'm still a die-hard Harry Potter fan, from now til forever. You can listen to them on YouTube. Just search Harry Potter and the (insert here) soundtrack!

Old June 16th, 2009, 8:40 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristen03 View Post
It's okay! I didn't buy any soundtracks either. I'm still a die-hard Harry Potter fan, from now til forever. You can listen to them on YouTube. Just search Harry Potter and the (insert here) soundtrack!
Thanks! I shall do that

Old June 17th, 2009, 4:10 am
Seventh Year

My opinions on the others:
Sorcerer's Stone - I can't say I have any real complaints with this score. John Williams is a master at setting mood and tone and this is a very innocent, often whimsical, and somewhat otherworldly group of songs. "Hedwig's Theme" is iconic now, it defines Harry Potter musically just as much and as well as Williams' "The Imperial March" defines Darth Vader or "Raiders March" defines Indiana Jones. I don't think anyone's mentioned "Leaving Hogwarts" yet either, and that's another piece I love - sad to a degree but hopeful and a fine note to close on.

Chamber of Secrets - This one's not as memorable as the Williams scores that surround it - nor is the film itself - but any soundtrack that has both "Fawkes the Phoenix" and "Gilderoy Lockhart" can't be so bad.

Goblet of Fire - Okay, now, I'll freely admit that I don't exactly take a scholarly approach to reviewing film music, but I know what I like when I hear it, and I usually know why, what feelings it evokes - and I actually love this score. It is not a John Williams score and won't be mistaken for one by anyone familiar with Williams' work. Therefore, it's not really in the "Harry Potter sound" we'd heard prior to this; however, what I think is most important is whether it fits the particular story in question, and in my opinion it does, completely. I place it just behind Prisoner of Azkaban in my ranking. Some standout pieces include: "Neville's Waltz"; "Death of Cedric" (which is far from subtle but still effective); "Potter Waltz" (which seems like a perfect posh-middle-school dance sort of thing, and makes for a funny transition into the incredibly goofy fun of "Do the Hippogriff"); "Hogwarts Hymn" (which I think is a great emotional summary); and The Weird Sisters' "Magic Works" (which I now completely associate with Ron & Hermione).

Old June 18th, 2009, 2:34 am
Fourth Year

I'm still holding out hope that the tune that was playing during Snape's Worse Memory (That is regrettably missing on the soundtrack) makes it back into HBP and becomes a theme for Snape. I heard the track over on Facebook and it was so haunting and sad and I think it fit Snape perfectly. You can't really hear it to well during the film unfortunatly so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What direction do you guys think Hooper will go with the Half Blood Prince soundtrack (or better yet...which direction do you wish he will go)? I hope there is a theme for Snape that occasionally shows up throughout the soundtrack. I hope he goes for more subtle cues and let his music tell the story that we see on screen. That's what was lacking with Order imo.

Old June 21st, 2009, 2:37 am
First Year

For me POA is by far the best score. I feel that SS and COS are both good scores and harken back to some of my favorite John Williams film scores from the past. While neither SS or COS scores were groundbreaking, they're both entertaining to listen to and evoke many memories. Overall I felt GOF was a good score, but just doesn't seem to fit in the style established by Williams. I felt that the OOTP score is probably the weakest of all the HP scores. While Hooper brought back this whimsical feel that GOF seemed to lack, OOTP's score lacked continuity and was fairly generic in terms of film music. So far from what I've heard, Hooper's score for HBP sounds fairly good, I just hope it is a tad more memorable than that in OOTP and that it is consistent throughout the entire film.

Old June 21st, 2009, 2:41 am
Third Year

GoF's soundtrack was amazing. Harry In Winter was one of my favorites, and so was Death of Cedric. But however, SS and COS were very good, and IMO, the best.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies