Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v. 17 - incl. movie spoilers

Old June 20th, 2009, 7:11 am
Until the very end

The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v. 17 - incl. movie spoilers

Hello everyone, welcome to yet another version of the HBP Movie thread!!

For reference, you can find version 16 here.

Please, remember to always follow The Forum Rules and, should you have any problem, please contact a staff member.

A little reminder first...

thread rulesLately we've had some trouble with off-topic posts and snarkiness. Please read How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic before posting in this thread. Off-topic posts are posts that do not discuss the HBP movie but other movies, thread logistics, the posting behaviour of other members etc. There won't be in-thread warnings on every page of this version of the thread. Repeat offenders will find themselves temporarily removed from Muggle Studies and off-topic posts will be deleted without previous warning.

And one last thing:

Keep the chatter to a minimum here; if you want to discuss something with another member, but it's not related to the HBP movie, you can use your owlery or your profile messaging system. Thank you!

Now, go on with the discussion, and happy posting.

The stories we love best do live in us forever,
so whether you come back by page or by the big screen,
Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Last edited by Nadia; June 20th, 2009 at 7:16 am.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2009, 7:30 am
Banned

Re: The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v. 17

Good god, another one?

My favorite track so far is the opening; it's amazing. I predict that this will be the best HP movie opening so far.

Old June 20th, 2009, 7:33 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SybillOnWheels View Post
My favorite track so far is the opening; it's amazing. I predict that this will be the best HP movie opening so far.
And it'll look extra super duper in 3D!
I said I'd wait till August to see it in 3D previously, but now I'm fighting a huge urge to go see it in 3D opening week (it comes out the 15th here )

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old June 20th, 2009, 9:33 am
Fifth Year

Have we all seen the extended MTV clip?

http://www.dose.ca/video/index.html?...4lBL84D46AsXgi

Just a couple of shots added at the orphanage, but this seems to be the final version. IMO the kid playing Riddle is way off, his face as Dumbledore appears, his delivery of the lines, just isn't creepy enough. The shot Yates used for the moment Riddle and Dumbledore first see each other is really lame too, a close-up on Riddle looking gormless and that's it.

Old June 20th, 2009, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Just a couple of shots added at the orphanage, but this seems to be the final version. IMO the kid playing Riddle is way off, his face as Dumbledore appears, his delivery of the lines, just isn't creepy enough. The shot Yates used for the moment Riddle and Dumbledore first see each other is really lame too, a close-up on Riddle looking gormless and that's it.
I disagree with it being the final version - I said in the previous thread that the part where Tom got out the box wasn't there, for example (I know it could be cut, but it seems pretty lazy around that shot so I suspect they cut it out - but I don't know why they would?)
I agree that the start is the final version - I do think that we are going to have the choppiness from Dumbledore and Mrs Cole on the stairs to them in the hallway, but I think that once we get to Tom, things have been fiddled with.

I could be wrong, but it's just a hunch.

Edit: I just listened over the old ABC Family sneak peeks to see how much of the soundtrack played on it, and just as I thought then, there was a bit of this soundtrack in it! In the Story one, "Opening" played at the end, and in the Comedy one, both "The Story Begins" and "The Weasley Stomp" played!

Last edited by ArryGrotter; June 20th, 2009 at 9:48 am.
Old June 20th, 2009, 9:46 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
I disagree with it being the final version - I said in the previous thread that the part where Tom got out the box wasn't there, for example (I know it could be cut, but it seems pretty lazy around that shot so I suspect they cut it out - but I don't know why they would?)
I agree that the start is the final version - I do think that we are going to have the choppiness from Dumbledore and Mrs Cole on the stairs to them in the hallway, but I think that once we get to Tom, things have been fiddled with.

I could be wrong, but it's just a hunch.
Hard to know. In that recent Yates interview he says he's been fiddling with the movie since the delay, so what we see in trailers/clips could be from older cuts, but I agree that there is something off about the editing of DD and Riddle's conversation, like there's a couple of lines missing, though knowing Yates and his editor that's to be expected. Still, a couple of lines isn't going to offset the limp acting from the kid. Where is the suspicion of Dumbledore, the anger that he's not the only one with these powers?

Old June 20th, 2009, 9:50 am

Quote:
Still, a couple of lines isn't going to offset the limp acting from the kid. Where is the suspicion of Dumbledore, the anger that he's not the only one with these powers?
Cut out?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:07 am
Sixth Year

Limp acting? His acting is spot on for Tom Riddle, the fact he talks to Dumbledore with a straight face with almost a sense of pride is what makes it creepy. Shame on Yates for not having the actors overact like Newell did to the point that all subtlety was lost.

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:22 am
Zonko's Employee

The editing is still a bit off, but I love this version of the scene! So much better.

Did anyone notice how Tom Riddle's voice echoes when he's talking about snakes? There's this demonic/serpent type sound as he explains about speaking to snakes...it's so creepy, I love it!

I thought Gambon was appropriately authoritarian and disciplinarian with his "At Hogwarts, you not only learn how to use magic but to control it."

Yoshi, I got the sense that Riddle was a little disappointed that he wasn't the only one with these powers, in his tone when he tells Dumbledore about being able to speak to snakes. He asks him if that is normal for even his kind, almost as if he is trying to one-up Dumbledore. I like the little boy's acting. I think he's fine. I just wish his cheeks weren't so full. He looks too well-fed and loved.

We can also now hear the other children speaking in the background.

About the soundtrack, I liked them all. They are very different. I called out the 'story begins' one from the comedy sneak peak ages ago and I remember you, Yoshi, said it was "generic TV fantasy music so of-course it's probably Hooper".

I was hoping for a little more so I feel teased. I want to listen to the full soundtrack!

My favorite is the 'Inferi in the firestorm' one. So operatic, epic, dramatic and moving. Powerful. 'Dumbledore's farewell' might move me to tears. I also like 'Friends'. It's alot more mature and somber than the other ending tracks for these movies.

The Slug Club Party, The Weasley Stomp and When Harry kissed Ginny are all very unique and odd, but they break new ground and provide a new flavor to the musical palate of HP.

I forgot how frustrating soundtrack samples are though...they stop too short. I guess we've just been waiting too long...I want it all now!! *greedy eyes*

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; June 20th, 2009 at 10:35 am.
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:13 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Oooh, shiny new thread!

Just watched the extended clip. I agree that there still seems to be parts of it missing. I don't think this is the full scene - though there's probably not much more to it. The conversation between Riddle and Dumbledore seems very choppy though. I love the echo effect when Riddle says he can talk to snakes - that was cool. I think Hero Fiennes-Tiffin did an excellent job there.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:53 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
It seems that one of the purposes of showing this memory as the only memory we get to see of Tom Riddle (besides the fake and real horcrux memory) is to make some reference to Tom as a collector. I really hope that they show him picking up the box of stuff because it is a reference to the horcruxes. The thing i am probably worried the most about is that there is not going to be enough of an explanation of what the horcruxes are, what harry should be looking for, etc.

I feel better about it though because it seems that we have seen quite a bit of the Harry touching the ring and having flashes of the horcruxes. I would have liked him to discuss this with Dumbledore, but at least flashes are something.

PS. I remember a clip of the Chronicles of Narnia with Peter and Caspian and mistaken identity. They showed that clip and said that it was the entire clip from the film, but then when i saw the film there was another shot where Caspian looks down at Peter's sword and recognizes it and then Caspian realizes Peter's identity. That short bit was cut from the supposed 'full version of the clip' which we saw before the film was released. They do do that sometimes, so it may be that the box part of this memory clip has just been left out for some reason in this supposed 'full version'. I hope so and am not really worried about it.

Last edited by decarus; June 20th, 2009 at 1:11 pm.
Old June 20th, 2009, 1:53 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Some of the actors have seen a screening of HBP.

Potter cast react to first Half-Blood Prince screening

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old June 20th, 2009, 3:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
Some of the actors have seen a screening of HBP.

Potter cast react to first Half-Blood Prince screening
Reading that Rupert's part is awesome has me dredging up some excitement for this film. It's coming out really soon now. There'll be tonnes of promotion and everything will be exciting again.

Old June 20th, 2009, 3:30 pm
Sixth Year

Hmm, I wonder if we'll be seeing any reactions from people soon...

Old June 20th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

About the extended Tom Riddle clip... I'm a little torn. I think it actually may be the final version. It's possible, IMHO. I'm not totally convinced, but this version has a certain rhythm to it that the other one lacked. It's almost like someone is skipping through a song and ending up at later and later portions of it without hearing some of it in the middle... One still gets a sense of the song though. I think it's interesting, if that's how it actually is. If it isn't the final version then I think this is a slicker editing job then the last version of the clip which was too jump cut like and jarring.

As for young Hero's acting... I think he's great. No problems at all with this kid.

I also liked hearing those little bits from the soundtrack. The score sounds really promising, I think.

And about Yates still having been tinkering with the film during the delay... Well didn't we hear this before in relation to the audio mix? I'm pretty sure there was an article where he said the there was more time to really perfect the mix and he was much happier with the way it turned out after he went back and tinkered with it. So he may have just been referring to this again in that newer interview.

Old June 20th, 2009, 5:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
just isn't creepy enough.
I dunno , I at first thought that too, but not for long. I have changed my mind you see. I think he delivers his lines just perfectly. He starts being almost sweet if you may call it that, ( more like puzzled that is why his tone is soft and reluctant. ) and gently his tone starts changing and becoming more self confident . I do notice a very marked change from " I can make animals do what I want without training them " to "I can make bad things happen to people ...." and from there to " prove it" there is also a drastic change in tone. His tone becomes very commanding just like JK wrote it should be. I am quite pleased with his performance.

OH and Dumbledore, I like Gambon being patient, like he should be IMO. He does warn Riddle abotu self control, but the way Gambon delivers this lines is just perfect. I am quite pleased with Gambon this time.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy

Last edited by Montse; June 20th, 2009 at 5:09 pm.
Old June 20th, 2009, 5:08 pm
Fifth Year

My bet is that the clip still isn't the final version. In the final trailer, we get a brief shot of Tom opening the burning wardrobe (with finished effect and coloring too). Yates may changed stuff after the delay, but I doubt he was still doing that after the final trailer came out.

I do agree though that the part up until Mrs. Cole opens the door is already completed. It's choppy, but not awkward. If you add anything else into that part, the scene would just drag IMO.

Last edited by ThaiHPFan; June 20th, 2009 at 5:49 pm.
Old June 20th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I could go either way on that clip really, so I won't be annoyed if it is the final version...

Just thought I'd share a little merging action I quickly did on the two billboards we've gotten recently. I saw the good guys one on the road last night, which was fun.

It makes a good desktop background for widescreen monitors.

Old June 20th, 2009, 7:15 pm
Sixth Year

Here's my short analysis' on the soundtrack previews...

Opening: At the very first second or two, you can hear a much more upbeat and happy tune playing, I'd assume this is the tail end of the opening logo's. But once it kicks into this extremely dark and threatening sound, I think the opening scene immediately shows the clouds transitioning into a dark mark, I think the score there couldn't be more perfect if that's the case.

The possible Slughorn part: I love it, I love the orchestra, I love everything about it. I can't really imagine much context of it, but I really like it alot.

The story begins: I'm not with Aaron here, I don't find it fitting. I'll have to wait and see the context of it, I like it on it's own, but it's too overbearing for a scene like where Harry flirts with the waitress. I don't know, I'll have to wait for context.

Ginny: I'm glad Hooper incorporated the classic Hedwig's theme back in with a different variation, but this will require once more; context before judging.

Wizard Wheezes: It reminds me alot of the 'ridikulous' (wasn't that how it was spelled in the books? ) scene with Lupin from POA. I really like it.

Ron's Victory: Has a very Williams-esque feel to it and I think should go well with the competition aspect of quidditch.

The Slug Party: huh... very different than I expected. Surprisingly, despite Hooper really only working with tv score's before, OOTP didn't sound like something for tv, but this almost feels like it would be for Matlock. By no means am I necessarily criticizing it, I'm all up for waiting for context of it, and I think with all the clashing colors of the party... it will probably work just fine in the movie.

Of Love and War: Reminds me of the quidditch match from POA, I like it, but once more; context...

When Ginny Kissed Harry: I love the contemporary influences of this, I think the score is really going to compliment the more somber tone of the kiss scene that's very different from the celebratory one of the book. I think those who felt disappointed with the changed kiss will probably like it with the score put in, as it will go along with the tone of the change.

Journey to Cave: I'll have to see it in the film, I can't completely imagine the scene to that.

Soundtrack preview on site assumed to be part of this: I love how Hooper incorporated tunes from OOTP into this. Particularly 'The Hall of Prophecy', which is very fitting for similarities.

Inferi in firestorm: Wow, I got goosebumps for that. I literally imagined seeing the inferi dragging Harry down and us getting the look at the millions of inferi down below while listening to those 15 seconds. Perfect.

Dumbledore's Farewell: Lives up to the previous track preview, perfection.

Other website preview believed to be part of this track: I don't know if this is that scene anymore, really, it's just too different from the actual preview.

The friends: Reminds me at the beginning of Harry and the others going to the train at the end of OOTP, once more, I love how Hooper incorporated tunes from OOTP to this, while going even further with creativity.

The Weasley Stomp: Sounds like the quidditch world cup from GOF and the fireworks escape from OOTP. I likey.

All in all, we have so little to judge off so early, but I'm impressed so far. I'm starting to feel excitement for the film enter back into me, I'm really getting the feeling that the christmas we should have had last year is going to make for a early '09 present in July.

Old June 20th, 2009, 7:28 pm
Third Year

*groan* It looks like yet another FAKE "leaked" trailer, it's rather well done, but very obviously fake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH7gu6bXbCQ

Anyways, regarding the soundtrack clips, awesome i think that from what ive heard of these that the score for the film will be quite different from the other scores, this one has more variety to it, especially Wizard Wheezes and The Slug Party. My favorites are Journey to the Cave, Inferi in the Firestorm, The Friends and Dumbledore's Farewell. The Weasley Stomp is a pretty good listen as well. I love all of the previews but there's still a few im interested in hearing like "Drink of Dispare" and "The Killing of Dumbledore", but thee's no doubt i'll be buying this soundtrack when it's released.

"The Boy Who Lived Is Almost Here"

I've Been Sorted and I am a very proud Gryffindor!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References