Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Favorite scenes / lines in the HBP movie

Old July 17th, 2009, 8:30 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

Re: Favorite scenes / lines in the HBP movie

I'm not a big Gambon fan, but I liked him in this movie much better than his previous ones. He got me with that unexpected "teen love" comment in the hospital wing. I laughed...I never thought Gambon could make me laugh

I have to say, Tom Felton blew me away with his Draco in this movie. OMG...he's become quite an actor!I both loathed, pitied and feared him. He was grown up, dangerous and left "punk git" and elevated himself to "mature, emotional complex (and dangerous) character".

I am not familiar with the actor who played Slughorn, but I was equally impressed with him. He had to walk such a emotional range and balance it just right in his scenes and he hit the mark every time. I like this guy, and I adored his portrayal of Slughorn. He elevated Slughorn from the book from a charicature to a full-bodied, real human (well, wizard-human) character.

Ratcliff's performance during the Felix Felicis scene surprised me. This is a side of Ratcliff's acting skills (and Harry's character) I didn't think was possible. He was too cute and funny. I adored it. In fact, the entire theater I was sitting in was rolling on he floor.

Some of the harsher brutal things that surprised me....Ron's poisoning and dying on the floor. Holy cow, I was actually frightened by it (that's not easy). They've increased the graphic violence to a more mature and realistic level that created such a contrast to the previous lightheartedness of the love potion scene...

Speaking of which, Ron falling off the sofa in the back ground and hugging Slughorn make me laugh outloud.

Another moment was Hermione sending the little birds after Ron...then blasting the little birds against the door in poofs of feathers. OW!

The "crack" of Harry's nose when Draco stomped on his face. CRINGE MOMENT!

The firestorm in the cave: wow.

Tom Riddle's youngest form at the orphanage in the memory: chilling

Snape's "Avada Kadavra"

The upheld wands around Dumble's body.

Slughorn partially upholstered.

McGonnagle's (paraphrased) "Take him with you. He looks too happy over there."

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."

Last edited by Redhart; July 17th, 2009 at 8:32 am.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:27 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhart View Post
I'm not a big Gambon fan, but I liked him in this movie much better than his previous ones. He got me with that unexpected "teen love" comment in the hospital wing. I laughed...I never thought Gambon could make me laugh

The Hospital Wing scene was brilliant. Lavender and Hermione face-off while Dumbledore, Slughorn and Snape follow the exchange of insults transfixed.
Hermione calling Lavender a "daft dimbo" ()
Her expression when Ron croaks out - Er....my...knee
Her "Oh, shut up" to Harry while she lovingly strokes Ron's hand.

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:33 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhart View Post
I found that very amusing too, "Oh to be young and feel love's keen sting"

Old July 17th, 2009, 1:12 pm
Third Year

I loved it what Bella did, and when Dumbledore used all the fire in the cave...

Old July 17th, 2009, 2:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I found that very amusing too, "Oh to be young and feel love's keen sting"
I find that Gambon played Dumbledore here extremely well!!!

Aside from the scenes mentioned, I also appreciated these:

- Harry in the cafe in the tube. I can't remember what the line is exactly anymore but the waitress asking: "So who is this Harry Potter?" and Harry going "Kind of tosser really" or something to that effect. That was quite unexpected and quite funny

- Dumbledore and Harry right before they disapparated from the astronomy tower. Harry: "I thought you couldn't apparate out of Hogwarts." Dumbledore: "well being me has its privileges"
Very subtle, but quite funny...well I guess for us avid fans!

Old July 17th, 2009, 3:46 pm
Sixth Year

All the Luna scenes. (Hey, that girl rocks!)

The scene where Harry comforted Hermione. I know lots of people found it sad, but I found it very sweet. How they stood together when both their loves were with other people. It's so adorable.

Favourite Line:

"Wrackspurts, your head's full of them" -Luna.

"You're my best friend, I see the way you look at her" - Hermione.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raethul View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by how effective and well done the comedy was, as I had no idea the movie was meant to be so joke heavy. Hands down, however, the scene that made me laugh the loudest--and enticed me to let out a completely unladylike guffaw--was the first meeting of the Slug Club when Cormac McLaggen attempts to flirt with Hermione. The was he (attempted) to seductively put his finger in his mouth was around the point where I lost it. It just seemed like such a hilarious thing to do and I was not expecting something with such blatant sexual undertones to pop up in a Harry Potter movie. Loved. It.

That's not to say that I wasn't moved scenes with a more serious nature, but that one continuously pops in my head.
A lot of people lost it in the cinema I was in.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)

Last edited by MC2456; July 17th, 2009 at 3:49 pm.
Old July 17th, 2009, 4:52 pm
Animaga terpsichore

I think any scene with Tom Felton was very well played out. He didn't have a lot of speaking roles, but he did an amazing job with the emotion. I loved the duel between Malfoy and Harry. I felt like I wanted to be in the movie just to see that.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 17th, 2009, 5:03 pm
First Year

Hagrid "It's the eyes make people nervous"
Harry "Also the fangs... see raar... snap snap"

Old July 17th, 2009, 6:43 pm
First Year

There are so many! I was in hysterics quite a lot.

Felix Felicis and the "pincers!"
Harry: "you know, she's got... nice skin."
Slughorn: "all hands on deck, Granger!"
Snape (to Mcclaggen): "you just earned yourself a months worth of detentions."

Also Dumbledore's death scene was phenomenal, and I loved first scene in Slughorn's class where Harry makes the Draught of Living Death, which was exactly how I pictured it in the book. Yay it was a great movie!

Old July 17th, 2009, 6:49 pm
Third Year

HBP was really more amusing than most the other movies.

I enjoyed the scenes with DD's memories of Tom Riddle, when Harry and Ron went over to the cabinet to get their Potions books, and the scene where Snape killed DD thouygh sad was amazingly done.

Old July 17th, 2009, 6:53 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans8chan View Post
Hagrid "It's the eyes make people nervous"
Harry "Also the fangs... see raar... snap snap"
Probably some of Dan's best acting.

I think all of the scenes with Dan were wonderful. I believed him in every single scene.

Old July 17th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Third Year

All of Daniels felix scenes! When he told Slughorn just to come with him! I thought that line was delivered brilliantly!

Also when Hermione was crying about Ron after Lavender kissed him and she asked Harry what it felt like with Ginny and he said "Like this" or something. That was so lovely!

And the hospital scene with Ron, Hermione and Lavender! I thought that was brilliant! It was really serious with him being poisened and all the teachers were standing concered, then there was this girl bringing her teenage love problems to light in front of them all! So funny!

The beginning, with the bridge and also when the Weasley house got burnt were really amazing I thought. Just emotional, the first because I was just SO excited and the second because it was so sad! The way Ginny ran after Harry!

And of course Dumbledore's fire skills, and his death All very well done.

There wasn't really a scene I didnt like. I just wanted a bigger battle.

Old July 17th, 2009, 7:01 pm
Second Year

The opening scene - So, so perfect. Gave me massive chills. Normally people cheer both at the WB logo and when the title comes up, but since the title came after the scene with Harry and Dumbledore, the whole audience was dead silent when the title came up; It was a (good) stunned silence. Amazing. The music for the title was absolutely perfect too, even though it wasn't "Hedwig's Theme." For this particular title, I think it actually worked much better than any variation of "Hedwig's Theme" would have worked.

All of the scenes with Draco testing the vanishing cabinet - I loved how when he was testing the bird, it cut to Borgin and "Burke", and you could hear the bird flying around inside the cabinet. So chilling.

Felix Felicis...

Harry: I think I'll go down to Hagrid's.
Hermione: Harry, you're supposed to find Slughorn. We had a plan, remember?
Harry: No, I think I'll go to Hagrid's. I just get the feeling that Hagrid's is the place to be tonight! You know what I mean?
Ron and Hermione: No.
*Harry exits the common room*
Harry: *to some random person* HI!

Let me say that I find most of the humor in the first five HP films to be incredibly cheesy, forced, and unfunny (with few exceptions). The Felix Felicis scene was one of the scenes I was most looking forward to seeing in the film, and it was perfect. I was in stitches the whole time. Amazing work there, Dan!

The Cave - Even though my favorite line from the book was cut out, I still loved this scene. Considering I've never cried during a Harry Potter film, the fact that this scene brought me to the brink of tears is really saying something. Fantastic acting from Michael and Dan in this scene. The music was wonderful too, especially when Dumbledore casts the fire.

Discovery of Dumbledore's body - This scene made me sob in the book, and it was fantastic in the film. I choked up when everyone raised their wands to Dumbledore.

HERMIONE: Yeah, kinda figured.
HARRY: Oh, and I think we're getting our O.W.L. results today.
HERMIONE: OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME??

Excerpt from: Molly J. Ringwraith's Half-Blood Prince, condensed, Part One
Old July 17th, 2009, 7:52 pm
Second Year

There were a lot of great scenes in this movie:

- The opening was very exciting and thrilling.
- Spinner's End
- Weasley's Wizard Wheezes
- Draco catching Harry aboard the Hogwart's Express
- Any scene involving Luna
- Qudditch
- Ron under the influence of the love potion
- Harry under the influence of felix felicis
- The cave
- The Astronomy Tower

Old July 17th, 2009, 9:41 pm
Second Year

Cormac McLaggen was awesome! I loved it when he looked over at Hermione all seductively over dessert.

The cave scene was just magnificent! Felix Felicis was, of course, genius. and Mcgonnal's line: "take Weasley with you. He looks far too happy." Maggie Smith rocks!

Slytherin and Spectacular
'I'm very brave generally, only today I happen to have a headache' - Lewis Carroll

Old July 17th, 2009, 9:49 pm
Third Year

I laughed so hard throughout the movie. the Felix Felicis was hilarious, like many have said before me. I also like Cormac vomiting on Snape, it was absolutely hilarious moment. Kodak moment if you will *giggle* The movie was funny, but I also liked the sad parts. DD and Snape in the astronomy tower. "Severus...please." Harry touching DD's face, it broke my heart. In a good way. If there's a goodway to beake a heart. Hummm.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:13 pm
Third Year

Another one of my favorites:

Quote:
-Ron just sits between Harry and Ginny-
"Pie?"

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:42 pm
Animaga terpsichore

I love how Snape was in the Hospital Wing after Ron was poisoned. When Hermione and Lavender were arguing, he was just staring with a blank face. I'm sure he felt totally awkward being there, listening to all of that.

Old July 18th, 2009, 12:04 am
Third Year

I have a question that I am confused about and hoping someone can shed some light for me

OK so in HBP at the burrow scene and the very beginning with the bridge I am a little confused, maybe I am just completely oblivious to something that I have forgotten but in the Burrow scene what exactly are Fenrir and Bellatrix doing when it looks like they are flying? I don't recall ever reading about them being able to do that, it's also seen in OOTP when all the Aurors and Death Eaters are dueling each other, they basically look like they are flying around whether its white looking smoke or black looking smoke. It has been a while since Ive read the books so forgive me if I am missing something that is so obvious. Can anyone help me out?

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 18th, 2009, 1:21 am
Animaga terpsichore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevrusSnape View Post
I have a question that I am confused about and hoping someone can shed some light for me

OK so in HBP at the burrow scene and the very beginning with the bridge I am a little confused, maybe I am just completely oblivious to something that I have forgotten but in the Burrow scene what exactly are Fenrir and Bellatrix doing when it looks like they are flying? I don't recall ever reading about them being able to do that, it's also seen in OOTP when all the Aurors and Death Eaters are dueling each other, they basically look like they are flying around whether its white looking smoke or black looking smoke. It has been a while since Ive read the books so forgive me if I am missing something that is so obvious. Can anyone help me out?
Its probably just another way of Apparating (sp?). They did it in OOtP also. (Not in the book, just the movie.)

Last edited by lil_snuffles; July 18th, 2009 at 1:37 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies