Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Favourite HP movie so far

View Poll Results: Which one is your favourite movie so far?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 42 7.39%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 26 4.58%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 121 21.30%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 42 7.39%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 37 6.51%
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 168 29.58%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows (it will just rock the most...) 132 23.24%
Voters: 568. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: Where does HBP rank in your favorite HP films?

I think I will always prefer the first two films (DH may surprise me, though), since I think they captured the essence of Harry Potter best, largely by staying so close to the books. I did not mind that they may be considered inferior from a film critic viewpoint because I do not regard the Harry Potter films in that eye. For me, HBP is definitely the best of the films since the first two, but the other three are a bit closer in rank. I think, if the styles were combined, PoA, GoF, and OotP could be a great film because I like and dislike different things about those three films.

Here are my rankings:
1. Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone
2. Chamber of Secrets
3. Half-Blood Prince
4. Goblet of Fire
5. Prisoner of Azkaban
6. Order of the Phoenix

I think PoA and OotP are ultimately interchangeable, though; it is very difficult for me to choose one over the other.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:26 pm
Fifth Year

Half-Blood Prince is definately my number one.
To be honest, I don't really like any of the other movies very much. The acting quality in the first two films was kind of... Well, the actors may have just been too young to carry such a big film. I just don't really like Cuaron's style, and while OotP was passable, this is the first of the films that has really made me sit up and take notice of the quality value in the HP films. I am extremely pleased with the acting, the storyline, plot movement, and direction of this movie. Not to mention that I found it hilarious. This is the first movie that I think I could watch over and over again.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:24 am
First Year

I think HBP was definantly the best. It had light and dark moments and was really enjoyable to watch.
I voted for DH 1 and 2 because i'm hoping that they live up to the standard of the book, and if they do, they will be brilliant!

Old July 23rd, 2009, 1:12 am
First Year

1.Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone
(was what got me into the Harry Potter world, and is the one i've liked the most, and seen the most, i know every line of it.)
2. Prisoner of Azkaban
3. Chamber of Secrets

To be honest I wasn't a huge fan of the other three. I was quite dissapointed with GoF, i've only seen OotP fully once and don't have plans to really watch it again, and though I found HBP ammusing I didn't really like it too much.

"If you made a better rat than a human, that's not much to boast about."

[images removed by staff - only one allowed]
Old July 23rd, 2009, 1:19 am
Banned

1. HBP
2. OotP
3. GoF
4. PoA

SS and CoS don't even make the list. Horrible films, IMO.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 1:41 am
Third Year

No surprise to me, but HBP takes over #1 on my list of favorite Harry Potter movies.

1. HBP
2. OotP
3. PoA
4. GoF
5. SS
6. CoS

Old July 23rd, 2009, 1:45 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
It's unusual given the nearly equal user scores. I posted this before on a different thread (surely you've seen it)
Actually I haven't.

I'm preoccupied with a new movie ratings system that's currently in beta that IMHO is more accurate since it represents general movie goers tastes as opposed to cinemaphiles or HP fans that might appear on IMDB or RT just to skew the votes. It's on a website called Flickchart where you are presented with 2 films and choose the better of one. No percentage ratings, just personal gut preference.

I took down these stats a few days before HBP changed the preference landscape so to speak (much like how it has here). It will be interesting to see how HBP will affect the stats when it's released on DVD.

Stats for PS:    

Stats for CoS:    

Stats for PoA:    

Stats for GoF:    

Stats for OoTP:    

So what's interesting to see is:
  • PoA is tops in global ranking, yet has fewer #1 personal user rankings than GoF and OoTP.
  • Trends show that PS was the one installment people saw the most (obviously) but declined 10 percetage points to now with little recovery seen post GoF. Columbus Casualties indeed.
  • PS has the least amount of "In their top 20" hits which is super surprising, whereas every other installment are in triple digit counts. PoA once again has the most amount of "In their top 20" hits.
IMHO RT and IMDB are useless now.

Last edited by FleurDeLaPointe; July 23rd, 2009 at 4:41 am.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:17 am
Third Year

Just out of preference, I think in the order of favorites for me is, from most to least:

-Half-Blood Prince (I really want to just want it over and over. Not sure if it's because it's so good or because it's so new )
-Goblet of Fire
-Prisoner of Azkaban
-Order of the Phoenix
-Sorceror's Stone
-Chamber of Secrets

With PoA an GoF really being a tie, and OotP holding up a strong middle.

When being technical though, like how they approached the story, the acting, how it was filmed and music, the order changes to:

Prisoner of Azkaban
Half Blood Prince
Order of the Phoenix
Goblet of Fire
Chamber of Secrets
Sorceror's Stone

I just watched all 6 last week (phew!) and I can't say there isn't one I don't like. My favorites are just the ones that are easier to watch/follow without getting bored. Bring on, Deathly Hallows!

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:28 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I'm not sure where HBP would rank for me. I think I like it as much as POA and OOtP. Those are my two favorites. I think I need to see it again to really decide.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:30 am
Sixth Year

1. Half-Blood Prince: When walking out of the theater, strangely it was so different from the other Potter films that it didn't feel like a Potter film, yet I was thinking to myself "the filmmakers have finally completely nailed it". Cuts and changes matter not as long as the film still captures the essence and point of the story, along with excellent technical qualities (which this film is arguably the best when it comes to) as well as strong direction and acting. All of which I feel HBP has the best of, it's the first film since POA compared to the first two that I've felt like is better than every film before it in every way.

2. Prisoner of Azkaban: It was the first Potter film to really blow me away, and nostalgia aside, it's a great film.

3. Order of the Phoenix: Admittedly, as someone who is interested in filmmaking, while Yates gets what makes this series (the characters and story), it is pretty flawed by restrained editing (I'd LOVE to see the extended edition) and the cinematography lacks visual flair, despite it's intent. However, of the first films, I thought this was the first film to surpass the source material (the OOTP book is probably the weakest of the series in my opinion, or the most severely flawed) and the characterization was spot on, with elevated acting by the younger cast.

4. Sorcerer's Stone: Nostalgia mostly, it's also cohesive, which I respect in comparison to the film that would otherwise be here.

5. Goblet of Fire: Great atmosphere, certainly never boring... but dreadful characterization and handling of the story really bring it down, Newell clearly didn't know how to work with the actors and it showed. Everyone was overacting, whether it be Gambon's rough hands or Emma's dancing eyebrows or Radcliffe's strangely forced accent. The editing is a mess, really, at least Yates despite having to cut alot out of OOTP, managed to make a mostly clear headed and straight forward structured film... here, it's just one big mess.

6. Chamber of Secrets: To avoid getting worked up over such a mediocre film, I'll just say I really, really, really don't like it.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 3:02 am
Fifth Year

Half-Blood Prince has just edged out Prisoner of Azkaban as the best in the series.

1) HBP
2) PoA
3) OOTP
4) GoF
5) SS
6) CoS

~ A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~
Old July 23rd, 2009, 4:39 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLaPointe View Post

I'm preoccupied with a new movie ratings system that's currently in beta that IMHO is more accurate since it represents general movie goers tastes as opposed to cinemaphiles or HP fans that might appear on IMDB or RT just to skew the votes. It's on a website called Flickchart where you are presented with 2 films and choose the better of one. No percentage ratings, just personal gut preference.

I took down these stats a few days before HBP changed the preference landscape so to speak (much like how it has here). It will be interesting to see how HBP will affect the stats in a month or so.

Stats for PS:    

Stats for CoS:    

Stats for PoA:    

Stats for GoF:    

Stats for OoTP:    

Hmm, interesting concept. I can still see some flaws in the method but it could provide some very useful statistics in some areas (such as % watched) and possibly give more accurate rankings. Strange to note how few the number of times the first film has been ranked compared to the others. Why has it come up less than 1,000 times compared to the others which are in the twenty to thirty thousand range?

I'll have to look further into how this method is conducted (ie completely random sampling?) to see if there is any bias present.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 23rd, 2009 at 4:45 am.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 4:49 am
First Year

1) Prisoner of Azkaban
2) Half Blood Prince
3) Sorcerer's Stone
4) Goblet of Fire
5) Order of the Phoenix
6) Chamber of Secrets

Old July 23rd, 2009, 4:50 am
Banned

Quote:
I'll have to look further into how this method is conducted (ie completely random sampling?) to see if there is any bias present.
No need to look further since I can already inform you of what this problem is. Sorcerer's Stone is listed on the site as opposed to Philosopher's Stone. It's obvious that makes a difference since those who probably searched out these films had missed ranking it due to this name change.

Regardless I doubt there would be any deviation since no matter how large the sample size, it'd still probably reflect a similar pattern and stats. The only bias that I can see is accuracy.

The very interesting thing that Wimsey pointed out wisely is that notice the higher viewership percentage on PoA than over GoF and OoTP despite the latter two selling more tickets than PoA. This seems to reflect trends that PoA was a popular renter, VOD, pay per view, etc. item due to it's rewatchable quality.

Last edited by FleurDeLaPointe; July 23rd, 2009 at 4:52 am.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 5:04 am
Secret Keeper

Ahh, so that's the problem. Yeah, that would explain the discrepency there with the Potter flicks. Yes, it looks like there will be bias in the accuracy amongst other things. And what does one do when you get 2 films you love and/or they are of completely different genres?!

I'll give an example, I had to make this decision:

American Pie vs. Star Trek (2009)

Now I saw Star Trek this year and it completely surpassed my expectations. I am by no means a fan but this film pretty much blew me away. However, my favorite genre of film is comedy and American Pie is one of my all time favorite comedies...so I just had to go with that

EDIT: I'm also questioning the randomness of this...out of ALL the films PoA has come up 3 times already and Back to the Future 4 times

EDIT2: American Pie came up twice in a row! Oh, and found this under the FAQ's, might explain the constant repeat decisions:

Quote:
When you first create your account, Flickchart shows you the most popular movies. As you continue to rank more films, Flickchart will gradually add in more obscure movies to show you. We also give your rankings a point value that increases the more you rank - so someone with only 75 movies ranked will have significantly less influence on the global charts than someone with 1000 movies ranked.
I'm really doubting the accuracy of this now. I think the point values should be equal for all users and the choices completely RANDOM

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 23rd, 2009 at 5:49 am.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 5:16 am
Third Year

hmm... I liked it, but so much of it let it down, so therefore it's still gonna come second to POA.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 6:09 am
Second Year

The movies in the order of my liking:
1. HBP (Great cinematography, acting and just brilliant over all)
2. OotP (I've got a soft corner for the book, also loved all the new members of the cast)
3. PoA (Wonderful script, nice adaptation)
4. GoF (Fun to watch, though you may want to skip some bits)
5. SS/PS (Cute trio!! faithful to the book, but therefore no real surprises though)
6. CoS (Lenghty and so really boring at times)

Old July 23rd, 2009, 6:48 am
Third Year

I really do think that DH will live up to our expectations. I'm thinking very positively about it, because since, it is really the last film, they should definitely do something about it!

I think they'll listen to us and make DH the very, very best film yet.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 7:49 am
Banned

Quote:
Ahh, so that's the problem. Yeah, that would explain the discrepency there with the Potter flicks. Yes, it looks like there will be bias in the accuracy amongst other things. And what does one do when you get 2 films you love and/or they are of completely different genres?!
That's the point. It's a favorite list period, not of genres. Although you can separate by genre if need be.
Quote:
I'm also questioning the randomness of this...out of ALL the films PoA has come up 3 times already and Back to the Future 4 times
Eventually your favorites have to be further refined as it increases. Plus it's a beta.
Quote:
I'm really doubting the accuracy of this now. I think the point values should be equal for all users and the choices completely RANDOM
Why should it be equal across the board? The more movies you watch, the more variety you have, the more taste you have, the more valid the opinion. Otherwise what's stopping someone from making multiple accounts placing American Pie #1 over and over again and skewing the voting? That is what was probably the problem with IMDB and RT, to many people specifically coming on to either praise or destroy a film rather than taking the time to create a movie viewing portfolio.

Ultimately whatever concerns you have are probably addressed by the creators of this site already, but if you do have any further inquiries I doubt CoS could answer. So go here. In the end between RT, IMDB and this, I'd choose this since it seems to have the fewest flaws and yet still in beta.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 8:12 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

I think we are drifting off topic...

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives