Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Trick 'r Treat (SPOILERS)

Old July 24th, 2009, 4:55 am
Banned

Trick 'r Treat (SPOILERS)

Have any of you heard of this film? It's my most anticipated film for this year. It's written by Michael Dougherty, the guy who wrote the X2: X-Men United. It was originally supposed to be released on October 5, 2007 but it was pushed back. It was never given a theatrical release so it's going straight to DVD and coming out on October 6, 2009 (I already have it saved on Netflix). It's one of those films with connecting story lines, like Babel, Traffic, 21 Grams, and Crash, which I am a sucker for. If you've heard spoilers for the film, please do not post them here until after the film has been released. You can view the trailer here.

The plot synopsis according to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Nothing is what it seems when a suburban couple learns the dangers of blowing out a jack-o'-lantern before midnight; a terrifying principal (Dylan Baker) with a serial killer attitude teaches one neighbor the true meaning of Halloween; Laurie (Academy Award-winner Anna Paquin), a young woman dressed as Little Red Riding Hood, is stalked by a mysterious hooded figure at a local Halloween festival; a group of pranksters goes too far and discovers the horrifying truth buried in a local urban legend of a school bus massacre; and a cantankerous old hermit (Brian Cox), is visited by a strange trick-or-treater (Sam) with a few bones to pick.

Things turn deadly as strange creatures of every variety — human and otherwise — try to survive the scariest night of the year.
Some are saying this is the best Halloween-themed film to come about in a long, long time. One reviewer said "Trick 'r Treat ranks alongside John Carpenter's Halloween as traditional October viewing and I can't imagine a single horror fan that won't fall head over heels in love with it." Another reviewer stated that the film is "One of the most handsome, lushly detailed horror features in years. Trick 'r Treat is destined to put the most sour of souls in the Halloween spirit."

You can view images from the film here. The image that stands out to me the most is this:

Here is the cover for the DVD release:

Last edited by NumberEight; October 8th, 2009 at 11:16 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 3:32 am
Banned

Re: Trick 'r Treat (NO SPOILERS)

The link I gave in the post above has the new trailer and it looks great.

More reviews have come in since the film was shown at Fantastic Fest (I really wanted to go!) and the ones I have read said the film is very good. I decided to make a blind buy. I will receive it on October 6 but I will not watch it until Halloween, so I will write my review then.

Last edited by NumberEight; October 8th, 2009 at 11:16 pm.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:45 pm
Banned

Re: Trick 'r Treat (SPOILERS)

I decided not to wait until Halloween to watch the film. I just finished it and it is awesome. Here is my spoiler-free review.

A teaser:

Quote:
I have not seen an outstanding horror film since Zach Snyder’s remake of Dawn of the Dead in 2004. I have seen many films in the genre since then and have not been equally impressed; I have even walked out on one. But after viewing Trick 'r Treat, I can now say that I have.

Last edited by NumberEight; October 11th, 2009 at 8:28 pm.
Old October 15th, 2009, 5:43 am
Banned

246 views and no comments! I figured the horror/horror comedy fans out there would have seen the film and posted in the thread. I would like to get in to spoiler territory.

I received the film's score today and it is really, really good. It's not like most horror film scores, where it's just electronic droning and such. This score has booming brass, screeching strings, and chilling choirs.

Also, can a mod move this out of the "Coming Soon" section and put it into the general cinema section?

Old October 22nd, 2009, 8:06 pm
Banned

I saw this in the "Rate the last film you've seen" thread and I thought I would address it here, in the hopes that this thread will receive more participation. Will the mods please move this out of the "Coming Soon" section and place it into the "general cinema" section? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot__lives View Post
Trick'R'Treat - 10/10
I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this. Since I ordered it OnDemand, it was one of those movies that didn't have the "show preview" option.. and I didn't really know what it was specifically about, so my expectations weren't high. I really liked how it showed four different stories all on Halloween night/in the same town and managed to link them together in a not-so-cheesy way. I'm a big fan of movies that do that. Not to mention there were parts that scared me out of my mind, and that's pretty hard to do. I also really liked the story of Laurie and her sister/friends..and the twist that was involved with that.
Spoiler: show
Like how they kept saying that Laurie was a "22 year-old virgin" and how that one guy was going to be "her first".. when they really weren't talking about sex at all. They were all werewolves, and pretty awesome werewolves at that. I love werewolves, and I was recently talking to my friends about how you never see female werewolves in movies, so that part of the movie made me crazy happy.
It's the perfect Halloween movie, not too scary, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. I highly reccommend it!
Spoiler: show
I too like the twist on the cliche horror film virgin. If you watch the film again you will notice a joke at the beginning in regards to them being werewolves. When Laurie and her friends are changing into their Halloween costumes, one of them said that the in the previous year, she had bad Mexican. When I first heard that I assumed she was talking about Mexican food, and not a person.

I've seen the film twice and plan to see it again on Halloween. It is a great movie and I think it will become a cult classic.

Old October 29th, 2009, 9:15 am
Secret Keeper

Re: Trick 'r Treat (NO SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
The link I gave in the post above has the new trailer and it looks great.

More reviews have come in since the film was shown at Fantastic Fest (I really wanted to go!) and the ones I have read said the film is very good. I decided to make a blind buy. I will receive it on October 6 but I will not watch it until Halloween, so I will write my review then.
I just watched the trailer, and coming from someone who is anything but a fan of horror films, I must say it does look pretty awesome. In fact, I've decided I'm gonna watch Halloween night...if I can find it online that is. The four storylines is what has me most intrigued.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion