Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

View Poll Results: What did you think of the movie?
A – Fantastic Adaptation. I loved everything about this movie. 36 15.52%
B – Very Good Adaptation. I enjoyed the movie. A few minor issues but no big deal. 89 38.36%
C – A Good Adaptation. I was entertained. Some room for improvement but overall it was fine. 48 20.69%
D – Viewable Adaptation. There are lots I would have done differently though. 24 10.34%
E – Below Average Adaptation. It needed improvements throughout, unfortunately. 23 9.91%
F - Awful Adaptation. I found the film almost intolerable. There is a great deal wrong with HBP 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oierem View Post
I know, but the lack of information makes it feel like "let's have another fight with Voldemort", who always escapes at the end. I don't know, but for the regular viewer, I'm sure that the HP movies are some sort of unconnected episodes always fighting the same bad guy and with no trace of an ending. What I liked about HPB book was that it established exactly what to do to destroy Voldemort once and for all.

And we still have one more movie in which "nothing" will be achieved.
The lack of information, as you put it, doesn't make the ending of the film different than the book. The ending of HBP (book and film) is quite shocking and unique compared to the others and part of the reason is that adult Voldemort doesn't take part of it for once; he's lurking somewhere in the background planning his next step, but audiences are reminded of his presence through the memories. And near the end the audience is told exactly what the hero needs to do to kill him: Destroy some common objects consisting of Voldemort's soul, then "one kills Voldemort."
While I would have liked more exposition myself, this is all they need to know about horcruxes at this point. The concept needs to be reintroduced in DH anyway. A movie in which something will be achieved concerning the horcruxes.

Last edited by Noldus; May 17th, 2010 at 2:46 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
The lack of information, as you put it, doesn't make the ending of the film different than the book. The ending of HBP (book and film) is quite shocking and unique compared to the others and part of the reason is that adult Voldemort doesn't take part of it for once; he's lurking somewhere in the background planning his next step, but audiences are reminded of his presence through the memories. And near the end the audience is told exactly what the hero needs to do to kill him: Destroy some common objects consisting of Voldemort's soul, then "one kills Voldemort."
While I would have liked more exposition myself, this is all they need to know about horcruxes at this point. The concept needs to be reintroduced in DH anyway. A movie in which something will be achieved concerning the horcruxes.
Yes, the ending is unique and shocking, but with the book, I got that there was a very clear path to destroy Voldermot. For the first time in the series, we KNEW what would happen in the next book: 1-Go to the Dursleys for the last time, 2-The wedding 3-Go to Godric's Hollow,4-Find the real locket and destroy it 5-Find Hufflepuff's cup and destroy it 6-Find the other Horcrux and destroy it 7-Kill Nagini 8-Kill Voldermot. And if Snape turn up kill him as well

Until that moment,it seemed to me that Harry would continue to fight Voldemort, but there wasn't a clear path to destroy him. The series could be extended to a dozen of books and Voldemort would keep escaping at the end. So after I read chapter 23 of HBP I felt a sense of satisfaction, KNOWING what was the way to kill Voldemort. They finally had a plan, some steps to follow and finally be able to destroy him.

That's what I felt missing in the movie. It just seems ANOTHER adventure of Harry against Voldemort. And they could have fixed that adding just a couple of lines, barely any exposition, but just "Voldemort though that 7 is the most powerful magical number, so I believe he broke his soul in 7 pieces... He made 6 horcruxes, and once you destroy all of them, you can destroy the 7th piece of his soul... himself".

AND I still don't know how is Harry going to figure everything out for himself.

Old May 17th, 2010, 4:21 pm
Banned

Well, regards to your ''AND I still don't know how is Harry going to figure everything out for himself", apparently the filmmakers are gonna alter the plot for it to be a little easier to follow. They said that the Seventh movie had an effect on the way the Sixth film was written. I trust Kloves, Yates, Heyman and the rest. They know what they're doing.

Old May 17th, 2010, 10:38 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny7003 View Post
Well, regards to your ''AND I still don't know how is Harry going to figure everything out for himself", apparently the filmmakers are gonna alter the plot for it to be a little easier to follow. They said that the Seventh movie had an effect on the way the Sixth film was written. I trust Kloves, Yates, Heyman and the rest. They know what they're doing.
I agree as well. Whenever someone point out the lack of horcrux information, I point out the fact that the seventh book was out, and they did say that the seventh book affected the sixth film, so they must have some sort of plan to introduce it in DH.

They did have excellent forshadowing in the sixth film. Examples include the pictue of Regulus, the trio finding Ollivander missing, and Dumbledore being disarmed. It remains my favorite film in the series, though that'll probably change when the DH movies come out!

Old September 15th, 2010, 10:23 pm
First Year

I do love this film and there are only minor things that niggle me, mainly to do with the relationships/friendships.
When Hermione tells Ron she was going to ask him to Slughorn's party, I would have prefered their interaction to have been more like the book, with Ron being quiet and honest rather than stroppy.
I don't like the bit with the girl in the railway cafe where Harry seems interested in her but then is gazing at Ginny in the window and hugging her slowly when he arrives at The Burrow. I can't take his feelings seriously here. Also, just a little anxious pause when Ginny and Dean are in the Three Broomsticks, to register that a girl he likes is kissing someone else. It would have set up his kiss with Ginny better.
At the end, I really wanted Ron with Harry and Hermione in a more solid and team like way, although this may be setting up things for the conflict in DH part 1.
I am holding on the judgement reagrding the horcrux memories until I have seen the DH films although I do have concerns and questions about how they are going to do it well.

Old September 15th, 2010, 11:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluminated View Post
I don't like the bit with the girl in the railway cafe where Harry seems interested in her but then is gazing at Ginny in the window and hugging her slowly when he arrives at The Burrow. I can't take his feelings seriously here. Also, just a little anxious pause when Ginny and Dean are in the Three Broomsticks, to register that a girl he likes is kissing someone else. It would have set up his kiss with Ginny better.
Honestly, I couldn't take any scenes with Harry and Ginny seriously. It felt like brother and sister scenes, I actually cringed when they kissed. I do wish they had set up Harry's feelings for Ginny more but I think that no matter what it wouldn't have turned out right. They just don't have chemistry, and I feel the girl who plays Ginny is a poor actress.

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:12 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked87 View Post
Honestly, I couldn't take any scenes with Harry and Ginny seriously. It felt like brother and sister scenes, I actually cringed when they kissed. I do wish they had set up Harry's feelings for Ginny more but I think that no matter what it wouldn't have turned out right. They just don't have chemistry, and I feel the girl who plays Ginny is a poor actress.
And Harry can't tie his own shoelaces? Mummy Ginevra has to do them up for him?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 16th, 2010, 8:44 pm
Second Year

I gave it C…
I liked it because it is a Harry Potter film after all..well actually I had to like it because we had been waiting for 2 years to come out so I tried my best to accept it…
Though there are some points I can't overlook at all..

I wanted the battle in Hogwarts to be shown so badly, that was my biggest disappointment, I wanted everyone to be involved at that night :\

the borrow attack, would have been more reasonable without Harry and Ginny running out of the house through the fire with Mr & mrs weasley watching them and then realizing that they must follow them..
And Ginny tying Harry's shoelaces! I was like "Huh?!!?" and my sister said to me "take it easy, maybe it's normal\usual in England " well, is it??

And I still fail to find one good reason for the café girl , I had a bit of hope that we would see her again till the last minute of the film but, alas, she wasn't there..

I like Tom Felton & Emma Watson's performance , also Michael Gambon's was great..

The library scene with Harry and Hermione was very nice...
The dinner party ,the Quidditch tryouts and the canary scenes were lovely….
They did a good job, IMO. At least I like to watch it every now and then ( I do skip some scenes, actually)

There's only one small planet where to be, so I'm always gonna be your neighbour
Old September 18th, 2010, 2:08 am
First Year

Hello

When I went too see this movie I was excited especially when watching the trailers , however I did come out dissapointed and when I here people say that it was the best movie I do cringe . In terms of the acting and the look of the movie yes it was fantastic . however in terms of the storyline it could have been so much better . I do understand that you cant put everything from the book in the movie however when you change things and it makes no sense to do so that is different . for example the whole scene with dumbledore and harry at the begnning was pointless , harry was suppose to be well protected and actually see a confrontation with harrys family and it was told he was riding around on trains and hitting on girls to me if your gonna change something at least do it somewhat in regards to the storyline . And the adding scene at the burrow it was good however it could have been more of a fight . Ginny suppose to be this powerful witch and fought the death eaters in the last movie stands there when approched by a death eater ... at least be consistent with her character which they do no justice to. anyway after the attack on the burrow everyone is happy go lucky back at school ... they were just attacked and lost everything shouldn't you be at least upset .

besides no love story between lupin and tonks , the muggle prime minister would have been cool . It really would have showed the audience how serious everything is . the movie is called the half blood prince and all it showed was a five to 10 minute dicussion of resesarch . snapes character deserved more . especaially the coward line .

to me the length of the movie was good but the fact it was drawn out with too much focus on relationships which ron and hermonie was good but harry and ginny no build up what so ever he suppose to like her cause she is more out going , gutsy and funny . she dont really talk that much . not the actress fault bonnie did a fantastic job . there was soo much they could have drawn on even with out the fight at the end if they wanted drama, they could have shown the affects of the war on the fellow students especially susan bones when her aunt is killed.Thats a fight they could have shown.One more thing and I couldn't believe thay left this out especially when it fuels the hate harry has for snape when dumbledore dies is the fact that snape was the one that told voldermort the Prophecy regarding him and his family . omg !

it was an enjoyable movie but it wasnt the best harry potter movie , here are the things i did like though
Quidditch
slughorn was a fantastic character as was the actor who played him
draco's character and storyline was one of the things i liked both in the book and movie I never saw his actions or snapes comming in the book . Tom Felton stole the show
Fred and George how can you not like them
Snape of course
The story regarding lily potter .

not a bad movie overall though , there is one character I really hope they give credit for in deathly hallows and thats regulus black . I know his role is minor but he has such an impact on the story it would be a shame if they left it out somehow , also it would be intresting to see tonk's family thought I doubt they will show that.

Last edited by ladyjade; September 18th, 2010 at 2:15 am.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 9:43 pm
Second Year

Dumbledore's Death in the film could have been way better.

There was some good in the film adaption of the Half Blood Prince but I, along with many other fans feel that most of the film was too romantic and there were not enough Riddle Scenes and that the burning of the Burrow should have been omitted. But I also feel that Dumbledore's death and the entire climax generally is less than a skeleton of what it is in the book and so the quality whole storyline in the film was compromised. Here is how I would have had the climax be if I had been director/screen writer:
*I would Definitely have had the bathroom scene with Draco Malfoy scarier with Snape livid at Harry and threats of Harry being expelled. I mean in the film you have Harry nearly kill an other student and seem to get away with it with merely an unpleasant look from Snape??? I would also have Harry hide the Half Blood Prince book
*I would have Hermione find the picture and information about Eillean Prince with the trio thinking 'hmmm possibly not the Half Blood Prince'
*Trelawney outside the Room of Requirement making the prophecy about the lightning struck tower and then telling Harry about Snape eavesdropping would be in the film along with the subsequent argument between Harry and Dumbledore over Snape. This would bring more tension into the film and foreshadow the disaster about to come.
*I would have Harry give the liquid luck to his friends and prepare them for the battle of the astromony tower. I would have Dumbledore's Army doubt him like they do in the book
*The cave scene was like the only decent scene of proper suspense in the entire film but could have still been way better. The graphics and Michael Gambon as an actor were both superb but the scene was too short and some details were emitted. I would have them discuss about the two orphans who were permanently damaged by Riddle and not have that music when they arrive, instead having both the natural sounds (wind, wave etc) and silence give the audience a sense of remoteness from civilisation. The boat trip should have been as it was in the book; longer with Harry and Dumbledore discussing the inferi and fire
*Dumbledore drinking the potion was extremely well done thanks to Gambon but I think Dumbledore should have fallen unconscious as in the book. Harry would have tried to revive him and got desperate before Dumbledore's eyes flicker and he asks for water. While Drinking the Potion, there could have been more evidence that he was reliving the death of his sister.
*The Firestorm scene was great but a lack of music would have made it scarier and more real to the audience. There should have been more evidence that Dumbledore was weak and the deleted scene about Dumbledore saying 'I'm not worried Harry, I'm with you' should have been put in as well.
*My battle of the Astronomy Tower would be a bit different from the book but again a lot better than in the film. The Death Scene with its lack of emotion and passivity just made me think 'whatever?' and the lack of a funeral and reaction from the Order was just schocking....
*I would have the Hogsmede Scene happen with Madame Rosmerta happen and Harry would be frozen by Dumbledore like in the book. However I would have Harry fall down on the floor cornered by the two broomsticks and not able to see above the character's feet, with the Death Eater's distinguisted by voices. The fact that Harry can see all Death Eater's on the tower cornering Dumbledore (which he can as their movements and expressions are described) is a plot hole as he would only have been able to see what was directly in front of him and he wouldn't have been able to move his eyes.
*Unlike both the book and film, I would not have Dumbledore fall off the tower but fall forwards onto the floor and lie down dead. Harry would try to revive him like he did in the cave, but this time he would be unsuccessful.
*Also thought up by myself, I would have Ginny Weasley walk up the steps onto the top floor of the tower having seen Harry and Dumbledore and Harry fly in by broom ealier. Ginny and Harry would both cry over Dumbledore but agree to pursue the Death Eaters on the two broomsticks that Harry and Dumbledore had flown up on. This scene would be a consolidation of their romance.
*Harry and Ginny chase Snape and the Death Eaters and a subsequent chase battle scene would happen in which Harry and Ginny both get defeated by Snape and Snape reveals himself as the Half Blood Prince. Harry and Ginny and Hagrid join up and everything proceeds from then on as in the books with the talk in the Hospital wing.
*The funeral would happen as it did in the Books(why on Earth did they leave that out?) and H

Regulus, my favourite character who made the right choice, to fight Voldemort at the cost of his own life. But he's just a character invented by JK Rowling.

'You wouldn't wage war against me if I believed that the moon was made of Cheese, yet some people would if I believed in the wrong God.' Me
Old November 5th, 2013, 9:27 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: Dumbledore's Death in the film could have been way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegulusBlackFan View Post
Here is how I would have had the climax be if I had been director/screen writer:
I agree with many of your points, though probably from a more book-purist perspective than you have when thinking of your changes. I've selected some points for discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegulusBlackFan
The cave scene was like the only decent scene of proper suspense in the entire film but could have still been way better.
Above all, I missed the poisonous green glow that I envision based upon the book's description.
Quote:
Dumbledore drinking the potion was extremely well done thanks to Gambon but I think Dumbledore should have fallen unconscious as in the book.
I wish this scene were drawn out a bit longer; I don't think the film gave enough time for us to really feel Dumbledore's pain or Harry's desperation. And, of course, given what I see as a very poor set up for the Horcruxes in the film, I think the urgency, purpose, and climax of the cave scene is unfulfilled.
Quote:
My battle of the Astronomy Tower would be a bit different from the book but again a lot better than in the film.
May I ask how? What I liked about the book is that there was a battle; as it appears in the film, Dumbledore left the castle unprotected save for a couple of easily subdued guards, which is very out of character.
Quote:
I would have the Hogsmede Scene happen with Madame Rosmerta happen and Harry would be frozen by Dumbledore like in the book.
I think it would have been difficult to introduce Rosmerta in such a dramatic scene. Even if Rosmerta were an easily recognizable character like McGonagall, her appearance in the film would have, I think, disrupted the intensity of Harry and Dumbledore's urgency. However, I would have liked to see a clear reason for urgency: the Dark Mark over the Astronomy Tower.

And I think quite a few members would agree and disagree with the decision to freeze Harry. I remember quite a few past discussions on that point precisely. Personally, I cannot come to terms with how the film did it: it doesn't seem in character for Harry, even directed by Dumbledore, to not interfere when Dumbledore is wandless and surrounded by Death Eaters.
Quote:
The fact that Harry can see all Death Eater's on the tower cornering Dumbledore (which he can as their movements and expressions are described) is a plot hole as he would only have been able to see what was directly in front of him and he wouldn't have been able to move his eyes.
I presume you are referring to a plot hole in the book? From SS/PS, though, we know that the Petrificus Totalus charm doesn't stop one's eyes from moving:
SS/PS”Neville,” she said, “I’m really, really sorry about this.” She raised her wand. “Petrificus Totalus!” she cried, pointing it at Neville. Neville’s arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his face, stiff as a board.

Hermione ran to turn him over. Neville’s jaws were jammed together so he couldn’t speak. Only his eyes were moving, looking at them in horror.”

Now, why the charm doesn't work on eye movement is another matter.
Quote:
*Also thought up by myself, I would have Ginny Weasley walk up the steps onto the top floor of the tower having seen Harry and Dumbledore and Harry fly in by broom ealier. Ginny and Harry would both cry over Dumbledore but agree to pursue the Death Eaters on the two broomsticks that Harry and Dumbledore had flown up on. This scene would be a consolidation of their romance.
I think the consolidation of their romance is when Ginny takes Harry's hand and leads him from Dumbledore (or holds and comforts him over Dumbledore's body, in the film). I don't think there's a reason to make Dumbledore's death a private moment between the two of them. Rather, Harry needs that time alone with him. It would also seem very contrived if Ginny just happened to see Dumbledore and Harry fly in, and she appears just in time to cry with Harry over Dumbledore's death. The artificiality of having Ginny appear would, I think, dampen the entire scene and negate any positive of rationalizing their relationship. Rather, I feel that bringing in Ginny here would just add to how forced Harry and Ginny's relationship was conveyed.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies