Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

View Poll Results: What did you think of the movie?
A Ė Fantastic Adaptation. I loved everything about this movie. 35 15.15%
B Ė Very Good Adaptation. I enjoyed the movie. A few minor issues but no big deal. 89 38.53%
C Ė A Good Adaptation. I was entertained. Some room for improvement but overall it was fine. 48 20.78%
D Ė Viewable Adaptation. There are lots I would have done differently though. 24 10.39%
E Ė Below Average Adaptation. It needed improvements throughout, unfortunately. 23 9.96%
F - Awful Adaptation. I found the film almost intolerable. There is a great deal wrong with HBP 12 5.19%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:16 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen_Caulfield View Post
One thing that struck me was that they used a different actor for Tom Riddle as they did in COS, this had me kind of confused.
I loved the Rom Riddle in COS, buuut...after watching HBP, the actor who played the teenage Tom was absolutely brilliant, i actually think he better than the actor in COS. He was just so eerie and creepy and was just Tom Riddle, he played him very well! To me, the way he portrayed Voldemort as a teenage, was just how i imagined him to be, charmingly creepy

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:29 pm
First Year

I thought the movie was very entertaining. The acting, cinematography, set designs, and special effects are wonderful, but as an adaptation of the book it deserves a big fat capitalized, bold-faced F. I'm glad they are making the Deathly Hollows into two movies, and they should've done that with the Half-Blood Prince. The Minister of Magic is totally absent, The Burrow was never destroyed (or even visited by Dea;h Eaters), Narcissa begged Snape to make the Unbreakable Vow, not Bellitrix; Dumbledore should've picked up Harry at the Durley's, no mention of Bill and Fleur, Harry and Dumbledore did not know about the vanishing cabinets until the battle on the tower (which doesn't exist in the movie), Dumbledore tells Harry to hide instead of using petrificustotalis, and no funeral? And these are just a few of the wrongs done to the book. Still, I must admitit was entertaining and enjoyable to watch, and I will have to purchase the movie when its released, I just wish that it had stayed more true to the book. As a movie I give it an A+, but as an adaptation I give it a failing grade, so I have to rate it a D at best in the poll.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:35 am
Banned

I see this is version 2 of this poll. Are the results for version 1 still viewable?

It'd be interesting to compare the first impressions of the people who went to see the movie on opening night and went back again and again to the opinions of people who weren't as eager and waited a bit - maybe with lower expectations.

Since OotP, I've been disappointed with the movie adaptations of the books, and this one following it was the same - OK to watch, but disappointing. However, some people obviously loved it, and it's very interesting to read the pro and con arguments.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 1:23 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
Given that a sizeable chunk of the audience for HP1 (20% in North America) went away and only some drifted back again - the objective evidence does not support this statement.
As long as it was making a profit, the production would have continued.

And considering how record-setting it was in almost every category it was certainly going to continue.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old August 3rd, 2009, 7:16 am
Fifth Year

I am very anxious to see how they address the other horcruxes. We never saw a locket at #12, we didn't see the diadem in the room of requirement this time, and no reference to Voldemort's need for Hogwarts founders' items was made (ie, the cup and locket). I wonder how Harry is going to even begin his search in the next movie.

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:15 am
Second Year

Personally, I don't see the problem with this: There is already a trail of breadcrumbs for Harry to follow. He'll find out about RAB and find the locket, he and his friends will go on the run looking for clues, then at Malfoy Manor Harry will pick up on the fact that Bellatrix has one in her vault. When they go and search it, Harry will touch the cup ("Dark magic like this... leaves traces") and discover that it is a Horcrux. Then they'll say - wait, Slytherin's locket, Hufflepuff's cup... perhaps he has something else of the founders'! There's nothing of Gryffindor's, must be Ravenclaw's. Harry will then see a vision of Voldemort picking up on their search, then he'll discover that Voldemort's going to Hogwarts and he's guarding Nagini - something of the founders' is at Hogwarts and Nagini is the final Horcrux. It's all there.

I think it was wise to leave this exposition out of the movie, as it would have bogged it down and went nowhere. Many complained about that already.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:20 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLupin View Post
I am very anxious to see how they address the other horcruxes. We never saw a locket at #12, we didn't see the diadem in the room of requirement this time, and no reference to Voldemort's need for Hogwarts founders' items was made (ie, the cup and locket). I wonder how Harry is going to even begin his search in the next movie.
I don't think this matters. Even if we had seen a locket or diadem, most wouldn't remember by the time DH comes around. These things can very, very easily be explained in one or two lines.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 2:38 pm
Third Year

How will they explain bill's scars in the next films? we've not seen him be attacked.

How can they have a percy reconciliation scene? as far as the films are concerned he's not even fallen out with his family.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 2:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilSquib86 View Post
How will they explain bill's scars in the next films? we've not seen him be attacked.

How can they have a percy reconciliation scene? as far as the films are concerned he's not even fallen out with his family.
My guess is that Greyback will attack Bill at the wedding (based on our knowledge of the Deathly Hallows films, the wedding is in it, and Bill has scars on his face at Shell Cottage). As for Percy, the filmmakers may merely have him appear at the Battle of Hogwarts (and expect the audience to remember his character, as we haven't truly seen him since Prisoner of Azkaban, though he had a non-speaking role in Order of the Phoenix).

Old August 3rd, 2009, 3:44 pm
First Year

I voted for the second option because I very much enjoyed the movie. It is probably a close second to the lovely POA as my favourite. Thank the gods that SS and CoS are far behind us.

I last read HP just before DH came out and deliberately didnít reread it before seeing the movie. I find it easier to appreciate a film as a film if I take off my fangirl hat and donít get hung up on all the little book incidents and details that arenít essential to convey the story in a movie and would only drag it down. And the movie that I saw conveyed the essential story.

I actually enjoyed most of the deviations from the book because part of the reason that I go to see a film based on a novel is to see a different take on the same story, characters etc. Itís fun being surprised.

One quibble is that for me the omission of the battle with the Deatheaters made the climax a bit flat. Why did Draco need them in the first place if they did nothing? I donít buy the claim that it would make the Battle of Hogwarts seem repetitive. That is two movies away and on a wholly different scale.

Gambon was as always, excellent. Being far too old to have loved Dumbledore for his grandfatherly aura, I prefer Gambonís energetic, complex, ambiguous portrayal. Jim Broadbent as Slughorn was a joy and I am incapable of being objective about the fabulous Alan Rickman. Oh yes and the young actors improve with every movie. Rupert Grint has a real talent for comedy.

The romance with Ginny was more subdued than I expected but seemed to work.

I think it was futile to foreshadow Ronís later estrangement in DH at the end of HP, if that is what they were doing. Who will remember?

All in all, well done IMO.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 4:03 pm
Zonko's Employee

Wow, KittyTwo. You've been registered on this forum for 1,469 days and this is your first post????? That's very restrained of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTwo View Post
I voted for the second option because I very much enjoyed the movie. It is probably a close second to the lovely POA as my favourite. Thank the gods that SS and CoS are far behind us.
Having rewatched PoA recently, I remembered why, exactly, it is my favourite HP film. It captures the spirit of Harry's world perhaps better than all the others.

Quote:
I actually enjoyed most of the deviations from the book because part of the reason that I go to see a film based on a novel is to see a different take on the same story, characters etc. It’s fun being surprised.
I hear you.

Quote:
One quibble is that for me the omission of the battle with the Deatheaters made the climax a bit flat. Why did Draco need them in the first place if they did nothing? I don’t buy the claim that it would make the Battle of Hogwarts seem repetitive. That is two movies away and on a wholly different scale.
I didn't mind that, since I sometimes tend to forget about plot logistics. Bella blowing out the windows of the Great Hall was quite upsetting -- her sheer glee at destroying what was a precious world for so many magical children.

I do think the Burrows scene is ... really lame.

Quote:
Gambon was as always, excellent. Being far too old to have loved Dumbledore for his grandfatherly aura, I prefer Gambon’s energetic, complex, ambiguous portrayal.
So do I.

Quote:
I think it was futile to foreshadow Ron’s later estrangement in DH at the end of HP, if that is what they were doing. Who will remember?
Yes, I thought that was rather 'off' as well.

Overall, I really like the film. Although I don't like it more than OotP. They both tie for second place in my affections, really. HBP's big saving graces for me were the Snape and Draco storylines, and the very moving scenes between Harry and Dumbledore in the cave.

And I did like the humour/romance angle too. Hermione was given a lot of poignancy in this film.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
First Year

I voted D, i was seriuosly considering E , but i couldnt do that to Harry!
one thing i would like to know, does J.K have final say in the writing of the screenplays, and if she does how could she have allowed so much important info from the books missing from the film? i was dissapoinrted that there wasnt even the final fight scene, and what bout the burial of Dumbledore and his wand ( one of the deathly hallows as we know!!!).???
if i had only watched the movies it would rate higher in mu mind, but as afan who has read , re read, re read, re read(you get the point), only for the sheer entertainment of trying to find things , that i missed the first time, so i can see how well Jk wrote this whole series andf tied it up in The Deathly Hallows, i am not all that impressed withit.
Hopefully they fill the gaps in movie adaptation of The Deathly Hallows, or maybe i would just have to view the movies as a seperate entity from the books, if that is the case the books would win hands down!!!!

Old August 3rd, 2009, 7:39 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsorcio79 View Post
I voted D, i was seriuosly considering E , but i couldnt do that to Harry!
Why not? If you don't like it, you don't like it. What difference does it make whether you vote D or E? You are not doing anything to Harry Potter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsorcio79 View Post
one thing i would like to know, does J.K have final say in the writing of the screenplays, and if she does how could she have allowed so much important info from the books missing from the film?
She has sold the film rights, with certain restrictions (insisting on an all British cast). They seem to run decisions past her, rather bafflingly. She is a good writer of childrens' books; not of film scripts - an area in which she has no expertise.

Old August 4th, 2009, 6:23 am
Second Year

The acting was pretty good and there were a few scenes that I found enjoyable. However . . . this was not a good movie. I thought it was poorly written. Too many scenes featuring the students' love lives, too many scenes with Draco experimenting with the Vanquishing Cabinet, additional scenes that were not in the novel and unecessary to the saga's main plot and not enough scenes about the horcruxes.

I was disappointed.

Old August 4th, 2009, 2:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Wow, KittyTwo. You've been registered on this forum for 1,469 days and this is your first post????? That's very restrained of you!

Having rewatched PoA recently, I remembered why, exactly, it is my favourite HP film. It captures the spirit of Harry's world perhaps better than all the others.

I hear you.

I didn't mind that, since I sometimes tend to forget about plot logistics. Bella blowing out the windows of the Great Hall was quite upsetting -- her sheer glee at destroying what was a precious world for so many magical children.

I do think the Burrows scene is ... really lame.

So do I.

Yes, I thought that was rather 'off' as well.

Overall, I really like the film. Although I don't like it more than OotP. They both tie for second place in my affections, really. HBP's big saving graces for me were the Snape and Draco storylines, and the very moving scenes between Harry and Dumbledore in the cave.

And I did like the humour/romance angle too. Hermione was given a lot of poignancy in this film.

Hi Pearl - well obviously I am more of a lurker than a poster, for various reasons including my own personality and lack of time. Itís been quite a while since I visited this site but I suppose I just felt like posting my take on HBP. Maybe I should introduce myself if I am going to post: I am a middle-aged woman, Canadian, a lifelong fantasy and SF fan, introduced to HP by the younger members of my family around the time the PoA book came out.

Like everyone here, I love the HP books, even the bloated OotP. That movie follows closely after PoA and HBP in my heart. I was less keen on GoF but it was more fun than PS and CoS. For me the first two HP films were rather bland and draggy, though still enjoyable.

I agree with you about the romance angle in the HBP movie. I thought it was well done, funny and sweet, and Hermione was heartbreaking, even to someone whose years of teenage angst are lost in the misty past. Emma really stepped up.

Dumbledoreís death was handled interestingly and well, IMO, and the Deatheaters themselves were fine. But it seemed to me that after the big buildup of Draco and the Vanishing Cabinet, the Deatheaters should have had more to do.

I liked the Burrow scene because of the visuals, because it illustrated Harryís impetuosity and courage and Ginnyís feelings, because it brought forward how randomly dangerous the wizarding world had become, and frankly, because Lupin was in it.

I recognize you and a couple of others from the LotR board (where again I mostly lurk), and follow any of your posts that I see here with interest. Even if I donít always agree with them, they are thoughtful and make sense. I have been a LotR fan for many, many years, mostly loved those movies, and am interested in the discussion of The Hobbit movie, so I may see you there.

Old August 5th, 2009, 7:07 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Like everyone here, I love the HP books, even the bloated OotP. That movie follows closely after PoA and HBP in my heart. I was less keen on GoF but it was more fun than PS and CoS. For me the first two HP films were rather bland and draggy, though still enjoyable.

I didn't find GoF more fun than SS and CoS. All three films dragged a bit. But there was too much hammy acting in GoF for me to really enjoy it. And the fact that Barty Couch Jr.'s disappearance from Azkaban was never explained, left the story with a big plot hole.

Old August 5th, 2009, 11:35 pm
I want to believe

I've finally just seen the movie. I really should have read the book before seeing it, and as such, I don't remember all of the differences between the book and the movie (and to tell you the truth, there aren't many things that bother me if they are changed from the book to the movie). Overall, I enjoyed the movie very much.

• Tom Felton: he did a great job, in my opinion.
  • Michael Gambon: I think this was his best performance yet.
  • The actors who played Voldemort as a boy and as a teenager. Both were wonderfully creepy and Voldemort-like.
  • The Dumbledore's death scene was very moving and well done.
  • The memories of Tom Riddle were done well (though I'd have liked to see more of them).
  • Ron was very funny as the comic relief.

Dislikes:
  • I would have liked to see more of the adults, especially Remus. And Fenrir Greyback only made a cameo.
  • I thought it was a bit useless that the Death Eaters showed up at Hogwarts and there was no battle.
  • I wasn't terribly fond of the Burrow getting attacked scene.
  • I didn't think Bonnie Wright and Dan Radcliffe had much chemistry at all. All of their scenes seemed rather forced to me.

Some other random comments:
  • Bellatrix is a pyromaniac in this movie! But Helena Bonham Carter does a great job playing a psychotic character.
  • Alan Rickman was also great as Snape, but I expected him to react more strongly to Harry at the end when he confronts him.
  • I didn't hate the ending of this one. Unlike the other movies, this ending lacked the "cheesy factor", which made it pretty good overall.

I'll inevitably think of more things, but these are my first impressions.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 6th, 2009, 1:47 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
The actor is currently 30 years old. He was probably 28 when they started filming. He's too old to play a teenager.

She's like this in the book.
Have you seen the Disney Channel, lately? I was shocked to find out some of those supposed teens are nearing their mid twenties... Granted, I have not seen the actor that played Riddle in a while, but I would never say someone is too old, lol. Hell, when I graduated we already had kids that looked like they were 30.

That tiny rant aside, I still enjoyed both portrayals of Tom Riddle.

Old August 6th, 2009, 8:46 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

I personally loved both Hero Tiffin Feinnes and Frank dillane. They did perfectly in my opinion. especially Frank Dillane - just as book Harry says, "it was perfectly done". Very believable and suitably creepy. Young Voldemort is one of the best things about the film, in my opinion.

Old August 6th, 2009, 8:34 pm
Fifth Year

So…. my review. At last.

A very enjoyable and entertaining film. Yates has raised his game in most areas since OotP, save for one, unfortunately: pacing. The beginning was good; the climax was very good; the middle sagged quite a lot.

I have been asked, previously, by other posters if I didn’t want to see “more material from the books” in the films. The answer is a definite – NO! What I want to see is the story, presented in a cinematic way. What I don’t want is “stuff”. And in the middle of HBP there was tons and tons of “stuff”.

Now, my view of the HBP story is that it is about Harry’s choices in relationships.. Harry’s relationship with Snape is a case in point: he loathes Snape, while embracing Snape’s alter ego, The Half-Blood Prince, as his new bestie. This is very ironic, but the Potions book plot (the eponym of the book/film, after all), was downplayed and space made instead for Ron’s foibles. These were initially entertaining but soon outstayed their welcome.

Is there anybody who does not think that the whole film cranked up a gear when we switched to the Malfoy and Dumbledore plotlines, and cranked down a gear when we had to watch the teen drama stuff?

There was some good adaptation: the bridge attack, and the Vanishing Cabinet I thought were done well. And some not-so-good. I could see why they included the Burrow attack as a break from the school year, but I didn’t find it well executed, and the characters who showed up there to provide uninspired exposition (Lupin, Tonks), were not introduced. A speaking character in a film should have a role; otherwise he shouldn’t be there. And providing a few lines of exposition which could have been provided in some other way – is not a role. Likewise Katie Bell and the necklace. The scene had little impact because some-one who utters a few words is not a character: just a glorified extra. We couldn’t feel any sense of danger. Well, I couldn’t anyway.

Production values were top-notch, as was cinematography. Gambon and Broadbent were terrific, as was Felton. The other Hogwarts’ students were…. pretty much the same as usual, alas! The two kids who played Young Tom were suitably chilling.

I am not confident about DH. A one shot would have forced Yates’ hand and made him get a move on. The thought of a 2Ĺ hour road movie, full of camping and Potterwatch interludes, is resistible. Non-readers are already complaining that “nothing happened” in HBP. Wait till they get a load of DH1! If they do ……

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies