Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

"A Very Potter Musical"

Old July 20th, 2008, 10:55 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Harry Potter the Musical? Watch it or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullangel View Post
There is talk Harry Potter the Muscial... Would you watch it?

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/s...8487-19689251/

Would'nt it be interesting to see some of the cast that could carry a note sing in it? If so who would you think do great on London's West End or Broadway?

Heck if they turned Lord of the Rings and Star Wars into a muscial why not Harry Potter!...

Next thing you know they'll turn the muscial into another Film!
Huh. I hate all the HSM and HSM2 and HSM3 gossip and excitement. I love musicals in general, just not ones targeted at 11 year old girls.

I would DEFINITELY see it out of curiosity, though - HP + musical = ????

Also I happen to think that with this type of thing, it would either be super super awesome or really really Rita Skeeter style bad.

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

Ý ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2008, 5:02 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riochet View Post
It depends if it's done tastefully.
Who'd have thought someone could make a successful musical from a story of a serial killer and a pie maker? Sweeney Todd got brilliant reviews, and this shows in it's ticket sales.
Good point but I am yet to see Sweeney Todd for myself so I can't personally say that I think it was well done or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riochet View Post
It obviously wouldn't have any dramatic songs - the songs could come give comedic value. Vernon and Petunia could have a song, ordering Harry around. If written and composed well, this would be great to watch (in words it doesn't sound good - but just think about it).
It sounds ever-so-slighty more appealing as a comedy rather than an actual dramatic representation of the books. You had some good ideas there but I still don't think it is be something I would be willing to pay money to watch. I'm just trying to imagine Snape or Voldemort singing...

Old July 21st, 2008, 6:28 am
First Year

Oh no.... a tragic singing Lord Voldemort ? I just can't imagine that.

Old October 31st, 2008, 9:19 pm
Fifth Year

Hmmm...Harry Potter as a musical will probably turn into a really awful flop with so much cut (especially trying to squeeze all seven books in a 2 hour musical! Les Miserables was one thing...but HP?!), that it makes PoA look like it has still retained the Marauder history! Think about all the stuff in each book!

Philosopher/Sorceror's Stone:
1. The Beginning: Dumbledore and McGonagall discussing what happened on that fateful night is vital. Otherwise, Harry would just seem like your ordinary young British lad who just happens to have more nasty-than-usual caregivers.

2. Introduction of a slew of other characters: Neville, Ron (and I suppose the other Weasleys), Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Hagrid, etc.

3. Sorting Hat song: well, one could leave it out, but it's a song...

4. The Sorting--when all those students are sorted into Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Moreover, the intro of those four houses and what makes them different.

5. Quidditch.

6. Hermione's redemption thanks to a 12-foot Mountain Troll.

7. The Invisiblity Cloak plot point (seeing as it's a Deathly Hallow it's vitally important). And how would they pull it off anyway? It's not like the actor can see if they put a sheet over their heads: they might fall off the stage! Sure, they can cut eyeholes in the fabric, but they'd just look like a ghost.

8. Quirrell. We need him. And Snape!

9. Of course, the Philosopher's Stone itself.

10. The challenges (like the Devil's Snare) to get to the Philosopher's Stone.

Chamber of Secrets:

1. Dobby.

2. Flying Car.

3. Gilderoy Lockhart is vital!

4. The whole petrification mystery.

5. Harry speaking parseltongue of course. That's very vital.

6. The Chamber of Secrets, and the whole drama that carries on in there.

7. Ginny, Ginny, Ginny.

8. The diary--it's a horcrux! We need Riddle's diary.

9. And how in heaven's name would you pull off the Basilisk?!

10. Fawkes. We need Fawkes.

Prisoner of Azkaban:

1. Aunt Marge bloating up like a balloon. How would they pull it off? Have stage hands rush onstage and hurriedly put pillows on her?

2. Lupiiinnn!! *snaps out of fangirl mode* I mean...Remus John Lupin.

3. The Dementors, for sure.

4. The Marauder's Map, and the history behind it.

5. How do you pull off a werewolf transformation may I ask?

6. And I'd like to ask the same for Pettigrew's transformation from rat to human.

7. The prophecy Trelawney makes (the one she makes in PoA, not the one she made about Harry)

8. Buckbeak. We need Buckbeak--very vital plot point!

9. Sirius Black. We NEED the man! (As every fangirl knows!)

Goblet of Fire: *cringe*

1. Quidditch World Cup. Enough said, ja?

2. The whole drama after the QWC when the deatheaters gatecrash the party, right down to the Dark Mark.

3. The argument between Harry and Ron that puts a wedge in their friendship for the time being.

4. Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.

5. The First Task (impossible to pull off onstage).

6. The Second Task (extremely impossible to do on a mere stage).

7. The Third Task (All you have to do is go to Centre Stage and you'll find the egg in four steps! Plus, you got all those creatures!)

8. Voldemort's rebirth--and how would you pull off Pettigrew's slicing off his hand?

9. Fake!Mad-Eye's transformation. Even the most modern theatre surely couldn't pull that off in a hundred years. Well, in a hundred years maybe...

10. The actor will need a twin to stand in as Real!Mad-Eye

11. The oral obituary Dumbledore gives about Cedric.

12. The whole thing with Harry giving the Twins the Triwizard prize money. Important plot point as it contributes to them opening their shop.

13. Overload of other reasons.

Order of the Phoenix:

1. The whole thing about Neville's parents.

2. Harry's Hearing.

3. Grimmauld Place, plus Kreacher.

4. Umbridge (how they will pull off the detention scene, I have no idea).

5. The Veil! It's going to be ridiculous: "now all you have to do is just fall back on the curtain. Everyone will still see you, but just pretend you're actually dead, okay?"

6. The different rooms in the Department of Mysteries, especially the Prophecy room.

7. And a whole other slew of important events/stuff

I would continue onto HBP and DH, but I think this is enough to convince me that it would be impossible to turn into a sucessful musical without it flopping over faster than a lead balloon under very strong gravity.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old October 31st, 2008, 9:48 pm
Banned

Harry Potter the Musical? Is that a joke? I say don't watch it.

Old November 27th, 2008, 1:13 am
Second Year

It would be weird, and I dont like musicals, but seeing as it's Harry Potter, Id have to say yes, I propably would!

Donít you ask me if its love my dear
Love donít really mean a thing round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you donít want it, say you donít want it
{One Night Only}

Old November 27th, 2008, 2:22 am
Second Year

A Harry Potter musical?! That would be so funny! I would like to watch that!

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old November 27th, 2008, 3:40 am
Qvack...

It would be rather weird, but I'd like to think that as long as the songs were good and strong and the acting good, I would probably go- even if just for the novelty.

THE DUCK.

Old November 27th, 2008, 4:02 am
Banned

I'd probably be laughing at it the whole time. It's sure to be cheesy. No doubt about that. What would the songs be about? How would they fit in? Oh my goodness! Just imagine Lord Voldemort singing about killing Harry Potter and making horcruxes. That'd be hilarious!

Old November 27th, 2008, 4:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I'd probably be laughing at it the whole time. It's sure to be cheesy. No doubt about that. What would the songs be about? How would they fit in? Oh my goodness! Just imagine Lord Voldemort singing about killing Harry Potter and making horcruxes. That'd be hilarious!
That would be hilarious! I would probably laugh through the whole thing too! Imagine Dumbledore singing!

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old November 27th, 2008, 4:36 am
First Year

This would be very strange, but anything can happen... Harry Potter: The Musical I don't think I'd be too upset about because it's naturally dramatic and a big production, although unless it was done really well I think it'd be super cheesy. I can't imagine how they'd do the spells and that sort of thing. I can really only see them doing the first book as a musical... DH would be kind of hard. Or are they going to try and squeeze all of the books into one play? They'd need a really good playwright and composer to do it, otherwise I can't ssee it doing well. OF course, if it did and it ever showed up near me, no matter how bad or good it was I'd probably end up seeing it.

Last edited by Thoive; November 27th, 2008 at 5:01 am.
Old November 28th, 2008, 4:12 am
Sixth Year

I would defiantly see it. I love musicals, and I think if they did it right, it could work.

ďThese are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!Ē
Old November 28th, 2008, 9:17 am
Banned

Haha! oh my. To be honest, I think it would be too complicated to put everything in the stories into song. It would all just over do it self. I mean, there could be fun oppurtunities for songs in there but, I think it would be overblown.

Old November 28th, 2008, 11:15 am
Zonko's Employee

Well, I totally scoffed at the idea of LotR being made into a musical but, actually, it did kind of work. Kind of. The visuals and special effects were marvellous and some aspects of Tolkien's story were actually done very well on stage.

However, overall, I think it failed, as an artistic endeavour It was an honourable attempt, and the music was good , but it was very much an adaptation aimed at book fans (or people who at least had seen Peter Jackson's film versions) and didn't translate into a coherent narrative on stage. People who didn't know the story had no clue what was going on, which contrasted sharply with the favourable reaction of huge numbers of non-fans to Jackson's films. I did enjoy the LotR musical ... but not as much as I enjoyed Jackson's films.

My initial reaction to the idea of an HP musical is 'you have to be kidding me'.

However, I suppose it could work, if you had someone who was prepared to take a radical approach in order to make the narrative work on stage.

In order to make LotR work more successfully as a musical, an even more radical approach was needed than Peter Jackson took in his films: you have to strip the story right down to its bare essentials, Frodo and the Ring, basically. A film adaptation is a 'faster' medium, able to provide more information on a sensory level in a much shorter space of time, so it can actually cover a lot more material.

I think Harry would need the same treatment: strip the story right down to its bare essentials, Harry versus Voldemort, strip out tons of secondary characters (keep Ron and Hermione but Ginny, Luna and Nev should be bit parts and nothing more) and bring Dumbledore and Snape into the foreground. Make it a lean, mean, streamlined narrative, and quite dark, with that tragic backstory (Lily and James) as a dark undercurrent.

It could be quite good.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; November 28th, 2008 at 11:19 am.
Old November 28th, 2008, 2:48 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Er...Musical what??

I cant actually imagine HP being made into a Musical .It is sort of weird and might I add, funny to me. I might still just watch it because it is after all, something related to Harry Potter. But I'm not really looking forward to it or anything..

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 28th, 2008, 4:24 pm
Animaga terpsichore

I would probably see it because curiosity would get the best of me. Also because I'm a big Harry Potter fan and would like to see something different in the Potter universe.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old December 3rd, 2008, 4:37 pm
First Year

i like musicals... maybe not H.P. though...

well.... no, i would watch it, and if it was bad, which most likely it would be, then i dont have to watch it anymore. ah, the power of the remote. xD

SOME SAY HES A TRAITOR, SOME SAY HES NOT A GOOD EDWARD (thats my opinion), SOME SAY HE SHOULDNT BE AN ACTOR AT ALL. SO, WHICH DO YOU CHOOSE?
Old December 6th, 2008, 1:51 am
Secret Keeper

I'm pretty wary about this . Wicked got turned into a musical, and it's only one book and completely different from the musical. I'd probably watch it anyways though

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 6th, 2008, 4:02 am
Second Year

It might be interesting, but I wouldn't.

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."
Old December 8th, 2008, 4:24 am
Second Year

Nope. There's no way I can see a HP musical. Little skits for Youtube yes, but an actual production..... *shakes head*

Pottermore name: AshJinx7349
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies