Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

What are their first Signs of Magic?

Old August 26th, 2009, 6:11 am
First Year

What are their first Signs of Magic?

Heya - this is my first post, and I couldn't find anything on this - well I wasn't gonna search through over 55 pages with the key words magic was I :-P

What I'd like to know is you guys theories on the magic first done by our HP hero's - we know about Harrys and Neville, but what I'm wondering the most about is Hermiones and Rons, Draco would be interesting too :-)

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2009, 2:15 pm
First Year

Re: What are their first Signs of Magic?

Well ,in Ron and Draco's case, it might have been quite easy for them to 'borrow' one of their parents' wands from time to time and destroy random objects around the house(or make them more 'interesting'). As magic has always been part of their life, this kind of moments were probably not that special after all. What made it different for Neville was his lack of magical ability until very late in life and his family's concerns that he might be a squib.
It would be interesting, however, to see how Hermione dealt with her first outburst of magic. I can easily imagine her denying everything and finding logical, but untrue explanations for the first couple of moments like this and then slowly realising that there is something very unusual about her.

Last edited by kieu; August 26th, 2009 at 7:41 pm.
Old August 26th, 2009, 8:46 pm
Fifth Year

I would imagine that Hermione's situation would be somewhat similar to Harry's. An outburst of unexplained power which erupted when these youngsters were under some sort of stress or were being challenged in some way. Didn't Harry manage to escape from bullies by magical means? (My memories of the first book are hazy.)

Ron would more knowingly attempt/produce magic, probably in some mischievous way, following the examples of his brothers.

Old August 26th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Second Year

We also know that Fred somehow managed to transfigure Ron's teddy bear while still really REALLY young.

I would imagine that Ron's display of magic could be in retribution to one of his brother's teasings (I can just see Molly being so proud of her son...)

Hermione's might have actually scared her or her parents at first. She would probably have been good for bullying, seeing as she was most likely either a teacher's pet and/or know-it-all...

Old August 26th, 2009, 10:52 pm
First Year

I'm writing a fiction that explores the issue of the Muggle world in Hermione's experience, and I make up her first magical experience. If you're interested, owl me

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:34 am
First Year

Random poltergeist activity that only happens when you're around could be a first sign of magic. That getting more pronounced and unusual or sophisticated as you get older. Maybe the only way to stop it is to realize and accept that you are the source of the events.

Old August 27th, 2009, 3:32 am
Fourth Year

I find it funny to think of young Hermione being completely puzzeled by these new abilities that she can not explain. Just think of all the muggle books she probably read looking for an answer!

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old August 27th, 2009, 8:10 am
First Year

Ah, my heart goes out to a young Hermione experiencing her powers for the first time. You'd assume it'd be the first time she'd gone through something that couldn't be logically justified. And I've always pictured a young Malfoy brandishing a toy wand, being very pleased with himself, maybe getting some sparks to fly out the end of it.

I wonder how Ginny showed it?

"-but they make sitting on a broom a right pain in the-"

Old August 28th, 2009, 4:59 pm
First Year

in DH they mentioned ariana should've shown magical signs about the age of 7 (the magical number) and 'weird' stuff happen when they get angry (Tom Riddle, Harry).

im sure pure-bloods like ron or draco's parents would've assumed they had a wizard child, so they probably would've bought them wands or something and something might've happened.

Slytherin!
Old August 30th, 2009, 1:06 am
First Year

in DH they mentioned ariana should've shown magical signs about the age of 7
~
Didnt Ariana show magic XD and the village muggles demanded how she did it -causing her to not wanna use magic again

Old August 30th, 2009, 1:18 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasOkami View Post
in DH they mentioned ariana should've shown magical signs about the age of 7
~
Didnt Ariana show magic XD and the village muggles demanded how she did it -causing her to not wanna use magic again
I think 7 is like the generally accepted age, and that any child who takes longer than that has a greater chance of being a Squib. Ariana probably showed her first signs of magic around age 6, when she was attacked. After being hidden, and years passing, she was assumed to be a Squib.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Old August 30th, 2009, 1:20 am
Second Year

Maybe Ron's first sign of magic was him accidentally breaking Fred's toy broomstick. That's my best guess.

Draco, he probably wasn't getting what he wanted, so he threw a fit that led to some magic explosion. Hey he was five or so.

Hermione I think would've had some magic happen, but she would have come up with some sort of explination why and maybe just thought her imagination was getting the better of her.

I WANT SKITTLES! YOU KNOW WHO CAN'T HAVE SKITTLES?!? TONKS, BECAUSE SHE'S DEAD!!!

Where dwell the brave at heart their daring nerve and chivalry set the Gryffindor's apart

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. By returning you will ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present."

"This is how we'll stand when, when they burn our houses down, this is what we'll be oh glory... Somewhere weakness is our strength, and I'll die searching for it." -Paramore, "Let the Flames Begin"
Old August 30th, 2009, 5:33 pm
Second Year

I wonder what Ron's was. Or if he has even had one.

Old August 30th, 2009, 6:25 pm
First Year

I wonder how magic kids are controlled by muggle parents. Sometimes 7 year olds are hard to reason with and the muggle parents would have no way of knowing if the child used magic at school to show off to their school friends.

Also, if kids can use magic without wands, why don't the adult wizards develop this side of magic. I know that the wand focuses and increases the power, but I can't remember if they use it anywhere in the books. Please remind me if I've forgotten something.

Old August 30th, 2009, 7:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
in DH they mentioned ariana should've shown magical signs about the age of 7 (the magical number) and 'weird' stuff happen when they get angry (Tom Riddle, Harry).

im sure pure-bloods like ron or draco's parents would've assumed they had a wizard child, so they probably would've bought them wands or something and something might've happened.
They aren't allowed a wand of their own until they are going to Hogwarts because they aren't supposed to knowingly use magic.

Arrogance has to be earned
Old August 30th, 2009, 7:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBB View Post
I wonder how magic kids are controlled by muggle parents. Sometimes 7 year olds are hard to reason with and the muggle parents would have no way of knowing if the child used magic at school to show off to their school friends.

Also, if kids can use magic without wands, why don't the adult wizards develop this side of magic. I know that the wand focuses and increases the power, but I can't remember if they use it anywhere in the books. Please remind me if I've forgotten something.
I'm fairly sure Dumbledore uses wandless magic sometimes.

Old August 31st, 2009, 8:39 pm
Malum Veneficus

It's mentioned in one of the books that Fred or/and George turned Ron's bear into a spider. And in HBP he says that Fred tried to make the unbreakable vow with him. But we can't be sure of those were the first signs of magic for the twins or not.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 1st, 2009, 3:34 am
Second Year

This is an interesting question (you know a lot of times I come up with interesting questions... but then, of course, I always forget them later).
Anyway, I think it would be very interesting to read about how Hermione found out about being a witch. I expect it would be quite like how Harry found out (just without the complications of not being able to read your letter from Hogwarts). As for Ron and Draco, it was probably expected that they would be wizards and it probably wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as how Neville found out.

“I hope you’re pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed — or worse, expelled.” ~Hermione Granger

"Harry Potter, it's not Twilight, you know; we're not selling sex." ~Emma Watson
Old September 1st, 2009, 3:56 pm
Fourth Year

I can imagine Hermione ignoring it at first, researching it next, and finally just trying to see the extent to her powers. It would also be interesting to see how Dean reacted to his first signs of magic. His mom must have suspected that something was strange about his dad, I bet she really started wondering about him when Dean showed signs of magic, and then when he got his Hogwarts letter.

PS/SS: I would like to say a few words...Nitwit! Blubber!Oddment! Tweak! PoA: That brings her total of real predictions up to two. I should offer her a pay raise... GOF: Enchantingly nasty...I particularly enjoyed your description of me as an obsolete dingbat. [B]OotP:[/b] ...you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to-what is the phrase? 'Come Quietly.' HBP: -yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often...Best to say nothing at all, my dear man... [Scrimgeour] is not very happy with me either. We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on.
Old September 1st, 2009, 5:23 pm
Second Year

I can see Ron and Draco borrow one of their parents wand or in Ron's case, do something magical when his brothers tease him. Get their pants on fire or something For Hermione, I don't know. Perhaps she made the school day longer without knowing or made her book turn over by itself. Who knows!?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone