Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Which Film Is The Darkest?

Old February 4th, 2010, 1:45 am
Third Year

Re: Which Film Is The Darkest?

GOF: The triwizard tournament, Harry being at risk all times, LV coming back, Cedric murdered, the unforgivable curses lessons, the whole graveyard scene, the scene were Harry comes back with Cedric's body. The music is also somber. The music in OOTP is too happy, bad choice of instruments in my opinion too. True that the film has a blue tint, but for me, the most anguishing, dark and sad movie is GOF. HBP doesnt even count. the creepy horcruxes became irrelevant when compared to the whole dating and love thing.

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:34 pm
Second Year

Well.
It depends how you perceive darkness and how it does aply to a movie.
It can be visual, it can be emotional, it can be scary, mature or gloomy.

To me the darkest HP movies are HP 2 and HP 6.

I still think HP 2 is the darkest.

Old February 5th, 2010, 10:34 pm
First Year

I find that the HBP to be the darkest over all, though I would have to agree that the end of GoF is very dark. But there are scenes in HBP that remind of early horror films, for example Katie Bell floating in mid-air after very slightly touching the necklace.

Old February 9th, 2010, 9:35 pm
First Year

The darkest film will be the Deathly Hallows when it comes out, part 1 over part 2 just because I'm pretty sure the film will end on a pretty somber note.

"Snape Killed Dumbledore"
"Well he was great at Occlumency"

Old February 9th, 2010, 10:21 pm
Third Year

i was thinking of OoTP because of the mood that it set but one of the members above commented on Katie Bell's expression and her levitating in the air after a mere stroke of the necklace that really freaked me out so its a tie between OoTP and HBP.

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old March 13th, 2010, 9:38 pm
Fourth Year

I think that GoF, OotP and HBP are very dark because they all deal with Harry being in danger from LV at Hogwarts (Triwizard Tournament, visions of LV and Malfoy's plans). They have their lighter moments but, overall, they consist of darker themes and all end with a character dying. They show exactly how vulnerable Hogwarts actually is, even with Dumbledore there. It probably also helps that they're so dark I can barely watch them on my TV

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old March 14th, 2010, 3:25 am
Second Year

I thought PoA was very dark because it was the sudden transition after CoS, when they were still kids. So now, they're older, and they realize "This is the world". And the scene in the Shrieking Shack involving: A teacher whom they've suspected of wanting to kill Harry, a teacher who turns out to be a werewolf, and a mass murderer who's out to get Harry (or so everyone thinks). Dementors and Azkaban were also first introduced in PoA, definitely some dark stuff. Harry also starts getting flashbacks of his parents' murder.

Of course, DH will be the darkest of all when it comes out.

Proud supporter of: HWRKDJCKQ. I have yet to figure out what that means.
Old March 14th, 2010, 3:40 am
Fifth Year

So far OotP and HBP. HBP moreso.
Order of the Phoenix had very dark moments and its cinematography was starker than even GoF. The mood was impending as well.

HBP: Might actually be darker to be honest. Why? Well, the cinematography was even darker in that one than the previous film. Yeah we do see more comedic scenes but that doesnt change the mood at all. The way the characters acted also implied how the mood was set. (if only they put in that one deleted scene...it would certainly have added to the darkness of the film.) This one may have had a lower rating (PG vs PG-13) but its really not the amount of violence or whatever but the tone. Katie Bell's scene does come to mind. Also Dumbledore in the cave. Lets not forget the dark tone of the memory scenes!

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old March 14th, 2010, 7:04 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
To me, there's no question, Order of the Phoenix is the darkest film of the series to date. Half-Blood Prince obviously has a lot of comedy and romantic angst to balance the moments of great sadness or hopelessness, and Goblet of Fire, although there are many unsettling moments and the entire third act keeps the viewer on edge, it's an adventure movie, plus there's the Yule Ball section, a great portrait of early adolescent awkwardness. Order of the PHoenix, though, has a cold, somber tone throughout, and it's the least "fun" of the bunch.
I agree. I've always thought that Order of the Phoenix represents the darkest time for Harry with the influence of Voldemort's mind meddling, occlumency, the Umbridge factor, what the prophecy means for Harry, etc. There are dark elements to Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Half-Blood Prince, but overall I feel Order of the Phoenix is the darkest film so far.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old March 14th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I agree. I've always thought that Order of the Phoenix represents the darkest time for Harry with the influence of Voldemort's mind meddling, occlumency, the Umbridge factor, what the prophecy means for Harry, etc. There are dark elements to Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Half-Blood Prince, but overall I feel Order of the Phoenix is the darkest film so far.
I always thought OoTP was a lighter film because the most memorable parts of it were Dumbledore's Army and quirky perky annoying Dolores Umbridge. However, I rewatched it and I feel that it is certainly a dark film. With the Department of Mysteries, Harry's dreams/visions, the death of Sirius, etc.

Proud supporter of: HWRKDJCKQ. I have yet to figure out what that means.
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:18 pm
Third Year

IMO The Order of The Phoenix was really evil looking including in the beginning when Dudley was making fun of Harry's mum it got all dark and i had a feeling it all goes down after that.

R.I.P.

Proud Gryffindor

Old March 15th, 2010, 3:45 am
First Year

IMO OotP. He was so mad all the time because of LV's connection so...

Old March 15th, 2010, 4:02 am
Third Year

Lets not forget to mention dumbledores not paying attention to harry most of the time which got me mad most of the times

R.I.P.

Proud Gryffindor

Old March 15th, 2010, 6:49 am
Hogwarts Graduate

If you want the darkest movie, then to me it's POA and then GOF. This might change when DH comes out.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 6:23 am
First Year

I think it's hard to answer without seeing the last two movies, but so far I believe HBP is the darkest. There doesn't seem to be any joy or smiles in that movie at all.

Old March 25th, 2010, 3:54 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
POA was trying too hard to be dark, that it falls flat to me. It was refreshing when it first came out, because the Columbus films had been so (appropriately) light and warm, but looking back on it now, POA had a dark tone that is undermined by some of the comical slapstick scenes and overly artistic scenes that detract from the story, IMO.
For me, PoA was the first film in the series that did justice to Hogwarts and how I personally pictured it. The darkness made it feel more, to put it simply and dweebishly, magical and mysterious to me, as if the magic was some invisible force flowing through the school and its grounds making everything appear the way it did. It felt electric. And I appreciated Alfonso Cuaron's artistic flair, something the first two films seriously lacked. I agree that it did, at some moments, take me out of the movie, but it' s much more interesting than Columbus' cookie-cutter adaptations (as much as I love SS and Cos ). I like to view the films and books as two very seperate modes of storytelling, so I was okay with some of the liberties Cuaron took.

To answer the original question, I feel like HBP is the darkest, right behind GoF. The darkest and most graphic scene in GoF is Voldemort's transformation. I mean, if I was a ten-or eleven-year-old fan watching the film for the first time, I would find that scene a bit difficult to sit through. In HBP, the entire cave scene is riddled (pun intended) with dark imagery: enchanted dead bodies, Harry nearly drowning, Dumbledore being forced to drink that awful potion. It's intense. But I think it was beautifully written and shot.

Old March 25th, 2010, 4:43 am
Second Year

Order of the Phoenix. Harry has those dark dreams and goes to talk to Sirius about feeling angry all the time and stuff. Half Blood Prince is definitely lighter with all the romance!

I've been Sorted.
Old March 25th, 2010, 7:10 am
First Year

I would definitely say OotP. It just has so much eeriness to it. Like the scene where the students were in detention, and they were all sitting there quietly, carving words into their hands while Umbridge just smiles. There is also something about the Occlumency (sorry if I'm spelling that wrong- too lazy to look it) that give me chills. When Harry has all those random flash backs and the sound effects, IDK, it just makes me feel unnerved for some reason. I guess I'm just weird like that P:

And there are definitely certain scenes that add to the darkness of it. The nightmare Harry has about Arthur, the mute sound (with an audio clip of Harry crying) while Remus is holding Harry back and Harry is screaming (but you can't hear the scream), Bellatrix laughing and saying, "I killed Sirius Black!", Harry writhing on the ground and having all those scenes being put into his head by Voldemort.

All this adds to the darkness and eeriness of it. Also the part when Umbridge is getting carried off by the Centaurs, and she says that Harry should tell them that she means no harm, and he says, "Sorry Professor, but I must not tell lies." At first I thought this was kinda humorous, but now when I see it, I think of the irony and how the lines "I must not tell lies" finally "sunk" in. Makes me shiver P:

Most of the eeriness is probably just something my mind made up though lol. I guess I'm over-analyzing.

Old March 27th, 2010, 9:09 pm
Second Year

Probably GoF, or CoS.

The returning of Voldemort must have sent chills down everyone's backs, who had believed he was truly back. Plus, there was a lot of tension and scare in Harry and the others going into the Triwizard Tournament.

Cos. The overall background story about the basilisk coming out. None--out of the whole school---knew they were safe within Hogwarts. Even when Hogwarts was considered safe with Dumbledore, this was an extremely dangerous expection.

Old March 30th, 2010, 5:52 am
Fourth Year

People tend to overlook the first two movies because they are overall brighter visually and don't feature as many outright dark scenes. However, think of Chamber of Secrets. Name the comedy it featured and I'm sure you won't come up with very much material.

Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, in my opinion, are the two contenders. While Snape's Worst Memory was cut painfully brief, the part we are shown does convey the feelings a very tortured teen boy was going through. The Ministry was done very darkly as well. After Sirius' death and through Harry's confrontation with Voldemort ("...I feel sorry for you.") this sort of numbness falls over me. I can't even describe it. The scene in the office with Harry demanding Dumbledore look at him is very intense as well.

Yes, HBP had its comedy and romance, but neither elements were the main focus of the film. The darkness that is present is very eerie and sometimes disturbing. Frank Dillane's teen Riddle is just spine-tingling. The cinematography and music of the scene does wonders as well. Young Hero Fiennes-Tiffin offers an excellent performance as well. "Is that normal for someone like me?" It's not even that you're despising the character already at this point in his life. It's like you're pitying him and the situation he's in. You shiver at what he will become. At one point in his life, Voldemort was a child. The cave scene gives you a sense of imminent danger. Spinner's End is one of my favorite scenes in the entire film series. You really feel Snape's pain and if you look into Alan Rickman's eyes during his final "I will", you will experience something you can't even begin to describe.

Last edited by ActingDude17; March 31st, 2010 at 2:48 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies