Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

The Strength of a Dragon

Old January 2nd, 2010, 4:38 am
First Year

The Strength of a Dragon

A/N: had this story in my journal for a while now, just decided to write more too it and see where it goes. tell me what you think.

This is a Next Generation fic, mostly based around James Potter and a Character that i made up for this story. The Harry Potter world and all the characters that reside in it, belong to JKR. I own nothing from it, expect for the characters the I place in it. May I present, The Strength of a Dragon

Chapter One: Take what your given

How Cleo Wallace got herself in these situations, she never knew, but this time wasn’t like the others. This time, she had to face the consequences and in all honesty, she didn’t want to. She was twenty years old and had nothing going for her life. She still lived with her father and she spent most of her time playing Quidditch or shopping. The idea of doing a nine to five job was out of the question, especially since her father had more then enough money to care of them both. Sadly it seemed that this time Cleo had went too far on her adventurous escapades and landed herself in community service. In a totally different country, none the less. And worst of all, her father agreed to her sentencing. She was being forced to spend the next four months serving time by helping the dragon trainers in Romania take care of the dragons and making sure that the Muggles in the near by communities do not see (or remember that they have seen) said dragons.

Cleo stood before the main hall; it was more like a small rundown hut in her opinion. She stared up at it with a clenched jaw. “Do I really have to do this, Daddy?” She pouted softly as she glanced at the round, balding man beside her.

“Cleopatra,” her father sighed, “You have to face the consequences. I won’t be around forever to pay your way out of trouble.”

Her brow furrowed as she carefully brushed her blond hair out of her eyes and clicked her tongue. “Whatever.” she muttered as she took a step forward and opened the door. She walked inside and stared at the man before her. Cleo swallowed hard at his size. It seemed like he took up all the space in the room and she had no idea how he could sit there comfortably. He gave her a look of pure disdain that one would only give a criminal. She glared, “Cleopatra Anne Wallace checking in.”

The man looked down at the small pile of parchment papers before him scanning through them quickly until his index finger fell on her name. “Ah yes, the law breaker.”

Cleo’s nose wrinkled, but she nodded nonetheless.

“Well, welcome to our little world,” he replied, “I’m Boris Alberdink and I’ll be the one you’ll be reporting to everyday. If you mess up, I’ll be on you like glue is to paper.” Her mouth fell open but he continued. “I don’t tolerate any mischief. I don’t care if its fun. We run a fine establishment, and I’m going to keep it that way.” Boris met her gaze evenly and once again she swallowed hard. “Now say goodbye to your father, and let’s get you settled in.”

Cleo slowly turned towards her father and bit her lower lip. “Do I really have to do this?”

“Yes,” her father sighed, “Now put a smile on and face this thing with your head held high. Make me proud.”
Cleo’s shoulders slumped but nodded. She gave her father a light kiss on his cheek before she turned back to Boris, and took a deep breath. “I’m ready.”

Boris stood up, hunching over so he wouldn’t hit the ceiling, and signaled for her to follow him. They stepped through the back door, leaving her father behind, and onto the campground. All at once, she was greeted but the wave of hot and dry air. She gasped at the sudden change and gave a soft groan. “Is it always like this?” She asked as she did her best to catch up with Boris. He ignored her and kept going at his very fast pace.

Cleo tried her best to keep up with him, while at the same time trying to remember everything he was pointing out to her. The mess hall and the sleeping dormitories weren’t far apart. The showers were farther away and sat upon a hill. Boris was sure to point out that they only had five minutes in the shower per day. Cleo thought that was a bit barbaric since, rumor has it, the camp was filled with dirty men who worked all day. She could only imagine what supper was going to be like and she came to the conclusion that she was going to have to learn to survive without the need to breathe.

“This will be where you’ll be sleeping,” Boris said bringing the slender blond out of her musing, “You share this with Natasha, she sleeps on the right and she would like it you don’t take over the whole place. Supper is in ten minutes.”

Cleo nodded as she carefully pushed her way past her new boss into the cabin that he presented to her and carefully laid her duffel bag upon the bunk bed on the left side of the room. Boris left her alone, and she was glad for it. She didn’t know how much longer she could stand the man’s presence. But she guessed that she would have to get use to him, since she was going to be working under him for the next four months. Four, very long, months. Slowly, she sat down beside her bag and allowed her gaze explore the room. It was nice enough, posters of Quidditch teams and players plastered all over the right side of her room. It was nice to see something familiar, and she figured she now had something to talk about with her new roommate. But it wasn’t the same. She wasn’t home in her comfortable bed. She wasn’t going to see her friends for quite awhile, and worst she wasn’t going to wish her father goodnight. How was he going to last without her? Ever since her mother had died, it had been just her father and herself. Protecting and caring for each other. A sudden wave of homesickness washed over her and tears started to brim her eyes. She couldn’t believe she was feeling remorse about how she ended up here. The decisions she seemed to make always lead down a road of destruction. So many times she tried to get off that road, but it seemed that with every good intention, it only made things worst. And she was tired of it.

“Knock, knock, is my new roomie in the hizz-house?” A voice stated with an accent that Cleo didn’t recognize. Soon, a young girl with a bright red curly hair walked in. Cleo’s eyes instantly fell on the soft spot of ash upon on her cheek and slowly moved down to the t-shirt and jeans the girl wore. Definitely not something her friends back home would have decided to wear, but who was Cleo to judge. “Oh, there you are.” She giggled as she held out her hand for Cleo to shake, “I’m Natasha Lee, you must be Cleopatra Wallace.”

“Cleo.”

“Nice to meet you Cleo,” Natasha continued to giggle, “Oh my, you’re hair is so… blond.”

Cleo’s hand instantly jumped her hair, subconsciously and she nodded slowly. “An inheritance from my dearly departed mother, but it’s a pleasure to meet you as well.”

Natasha smirked, “Oh so formal. You better nip that in the bud, these boys will mock you to no end.”

“Oh,” Cleo blushed. “Okay, thanks for the warning.”

“No problem!” Natasha replied as she fell upon her bed. “Us girls have to look out for each other, since we’re the only two here. Oh, by the way, Alexander McClannen is mine. Knowing him, he would fall in love with your hair and your big blue doe eyes within one glance your way.”

Cleo’s brow furrowed, “I don’t have doe eyes!” She said rather defensively. She crossed her arms over her chest and glanced away.

Natasha’s giggles grew only louder and they were starting to annoy. “Now you don’t have to get all huffy missy, you should get ready. Dinner is gonna be ready soon and I suggest you don’t go walking in the mess hall in stilettos.” And with that Cleo’s loud, obnoxious roommate got off her bed and skipped out of the cabin.

Cleo shot a gaze towards the bright red pumps that she wore and frowned. If she was going to make this work, she guessed that she would have to fit in. And fitting in, was what she did best. She slipped out of her very expensive shoes and unzipped her bag. She stuffed them away, a sad sigh came from her as the thought of that was going to be the last time she was going to wear them for awhile came to mind. But she pulled out a durable black leather boots that she often used for horse back riding. Her delicate feet descended inside those boots. She stood up and grabbed her blue hoodie. She zipped it half way and lightly tugged her blond curls out of her hair tie and allowed them to fall around her shoulders. Glancing down at herself, she figured that was the best she could do. It was her way of trying to be subtle. Unnoticeable. But a person can try, right?

She tucked her hands into her pockets and slowly stepped out of her small cabin before she turned down the small path. After a few steps she pressed her hand against the doorknob with a swift pull she entered the Mess Hall. It seemed everything went into a hush silence and every eye was on her. The hall was lined with two tables and it reminded her of a smaller version of Hogwarts’ Great Hall. With her cheeks bright red, Cleo quickly made her way towards Natasha, who was waving her over at an alarming rate. Cleo took the empty seat to the right of her new roommate and folded her hands in her lap. She had never been more embarrassed in her life. Sure, normally, she would love the attention, flaunt it even. But this was different; they were all looking upon her with judging eyes. They all seemed to have known that she was here to serve time, what a remarkable and uncomfortable feeling that was. Natasha slowly wrapped her arm around Cleo in a friendly fashion, which caught her off guard, and gave her a tight squeeze. “Don’t worry; first day is always the hardest, do you want to meet the coolest people ever?” Natasha commented, slowly forced Cleo to look upward to realize that they weren’t alone.

Sitting across from them were two young men. One fair and very handsome, the other with much darker shade of hair and eyes who was rather scruffy and unkempt. Both were well proportioned and blessed with muscles that men back home would kill for. Many of the girls Cleo knew in London would do anything in their powers to win the hearts of the two gentlemen before her. Natasha cleared her throat, “This is Alexander, I’ve told you about him.” Her finger pointed to the fair, sandy blond haired one. “And this is his older cousin, Ian.” Her finger moved to point at the darker of the two men. “Alexander, Ian, this is Cleo.”

Cleo made a polite nod when her name was mentioned and in return the two men started to laugh. Her flush only grew brighter as her annoyance was beginning to surface. “She’s a shy one, isn’t she?” Alexander announced through his chuckles.

“Don’t see how she could anything wrong,” Ian added. His voice was much deeper then Alexander’s.

Cleo seethed, and released a slow breath through her nose, for a moment her pride and dignity was wounded. “You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, didn’t anyone teach you that?” She growled softly. “You might just end up with more then just a paper cut.”

“Now that’s a zinger,” Natasha quickly said, her nose wrinkling from amusement. “It is so good to have another girl around here. She’s going to keep people on their toes, especially James.”

“Whose going to keep my on my toes?” Asked a voice that made Cleo’s back tense instantly. She would know it anywhere. That voice belonged to the boy who practically tortured her all the way through her Hogwarts years. And it was only because of the fact that she was a Slytherin and he a Gryffindor. Yes, many times she would return the favor, but none of her pranks were as bad as the one’s that James Potter would deliver. And as she turned around slowly, her conclusion was proven right. Before her in his usual confident almost arrogant stance was the Potter boy. From what she could see, very little had changed about James since their days in school. He still had that annoyingly messy black hair and those piercing emerald green eyes. And those eyes slowly showed the hatred she was feeling at the moment. Slowly, his jaw clenched and he crossed his arms over his chest. “I should have known the criminal that they were sending over here was you, Wallace.” He declared rather loudly. The volume of his voice soon gained him the whole attention of the room.

Cleo’s eyes looked around before returning her gaze at the Gryffindor alumni. “Oh, please Potter, don’t get your knickers in a knot. What I did can barely compare to what you did at school. So do everyone a favor and drop the savior act. The savior is your father and not you.” She spat out with ease.

“At least I didn’t kill me mother.”

His statement came at her like an unwanted splash of cold water. For a moment a pained and hurt look fell upon her face before it disappeared into a cold stare. “I no longer have an appetite, Natasha, Alexander, Ian; enjoy your supper with this prat.” She whispered softly before storming out of the mess hall. But one thing was certain, she still hated James Potter the Second more then ever and she was beginning to think her sentence was a cruel and unusual punishment by any standards.

A/N: so I hope you guys like this, feedback link will be posted soon. please let me know what you guys think!

check out my fic, Strength of a Dragon and the feedback thread
Also, please check out my fanfics, Past the Point of No Return and please leave feedback
and Ever So Tempted and please leave feedback

loyal member of IBP !
RIP Celia

Last edited by Hermione3000; January 3rd, 2010 at 1:03 am.
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:01 am
First Year

Re: The Strength of a Dragon

A/N: here's the link to the feedback thread. A new update will be posted sometime tonight or tomorrow morning.

Lainne

check out my fic, Strength of a Dragon and the feedback thread
Also, please check out my fanfics, Past the Point of No Return and please leave feedback
and Ever So Tempted and please leave feedback

loyal member of IBP !
RIP Celia

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts