Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

The Marauders: Group Character Analysis v.2

View Poll Results: If you could choose one of the Marauders' Animagus forms...
Dog 126 55.26%
Stag 41 17.98%
Rat 3 1.32%
Animagi are not as cool as werewolves! 20 8.77%
Obligatory pony option 38 16.67%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 15th, 2010, 7:47 am
MODLY CREW

The Marauders: Group Character Analysis v.2

Okay, we decided to give the Marauders a fresh start and here we are! New and shiny thread is new and shiny!

This is a group analysis thread, which means that the focus of the discussion should be on the Marauders as a group and the dynamics within this exact same group, not on individual characters. All of the Marauders have a very own character analysis thread, where you can do that.

Study Questions
  1. Sirius would have died for his friends and expected the same from Peter. Was this unfair or was this an integral part of being a Marauder?
  2. How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?
  3. Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?
  4. James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?
  5. What did the other Marauders think about James' obsession with Lily?
  6. How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders? Did she become the fifth Marauder, so to speak?
  7. James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?
  8. Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?
  9. Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?
  10. How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as (un)funny as the Weasley twins?
  11. Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?
  12. Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?

You may have noticed that one character is absent from the study questions. Snape is out of bounds in this thread. This is so because a constructive discussion of the relationship between Snape and the Marauders hasn't proven possible. If this changes, we may be able to introduce the topic to LS in some way. Until then, bringing it up repeatedly may get you a temporary ban from this forum.

Before you start posting, please make sure to read REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray, Fair Warning Guide - UPDATE and How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic. Be aware that this is a very sensitive and emotionally explosive topic. Making inflammatory or needlessly provocative remarks may get you temporarily banned from Legilimency Studies.

Last edited by Hes; December 11th, 2010 at 1:43 pm. Reason: removed link to old warning guide.
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:16 pm
Fourth Year

Re: The Marauders: Group Character Analysis v.2

Oo! A new version!

1.Sirius would have died for his friends and expected the same from Peter. Was this unfair or was this an integral part of being a Marauder?

I think it was all in being part of the Marauder's group. Sirius would have been prepared to die for all of them and same with James and Lupin. Wormtail obviously wouldn't have. I think it is fair that Sirius expected the same from Peter because they were all in it together. It was dangerous times and being best friends means that you have to go to any lengths to protect each other. Not to mention, they were in the Order. Remember in OotP Sirius says something about how there are things worth dying for. I think anyone who was in the Order was willing to die for any other member of the Order.

2.How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?

I don't think so. Remus was just happy to be accepted and Peter liked to be in company of people who were bigger and more powerful than him. I also think that Remus and Peter both new that James and Sirius were like brothers. I don't think it bothered them at all.

3.Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?

I think the reason why Remus was the main suspect was because James trusted Sirius more than anyone else so he couldn't have possibly been the suspect. I think james and Sirius thought that Peter was too weak to be a part of the dark side. That left Remus.

4.James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?

Both. It was good of them to help their friend in his tough times. It was adventurous because it was very risky and dangerous. Not even Dumbledore knew about them being Animagi. Something could have gone wrong any of those times they transformed.

5/6.What did the other Marauders think about James' obsession with Lily?
How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders? Did she become the fifth Marauder, so to speak?

I think the rest of the Marauders were all for James' decision. They probably tried to help him out as much as they could. I don't think Lily had any influence on the Marauders, she probably fit right in with them. I think in a way she could be considered the fifth Marauder.

6.James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?

I want to say that Remus and Peter didn't care. Sirius was James' absolute best friend and the other Marauders probably expected it. I don't think it was a problem.

7.Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?

I do think that Peter regreted it very much, but he didn't have the courage to stand up to Voldemort. I don't believe that James, Sirius, Lupin, and Lily would have forgiven him. He didn't behave as any of the other Marauders would have. One of the main things that they all believed was that you should never dishonor your friends. Peter went against that and it is unforgivable, imo.

8.Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?

They were all eager to join, I think. They all wanted to fight for what they believed in and have a part in the war. Joining the Order was right down their alley.

9.How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as (un)funny as the Weasley twins?

Fred and George never went around hexing people and they never bcame Animagi. In that way I think the Marauders were a little more wreckless and show-offy. The Marauders were similar to fred and George, but I think they took mischief to a different level.

10.Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?

DH didn't change how I feel at all. I still love the Marauders

11.Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?

Sirius! Ever since Sirius was introduced, he was my favorite (he is also my favorite character). I like him because he had an interesting life. He never really got a chance to grow up because of Azkaban and he was depressed all throughout OotP. He is quite a tragic character, imo. I also like that he was brave, funny, smart, a rebel, caring, extrememly loyal, and of course good-looking I definitely think that the other Mrauders appriciated those traits. That's why they were friends with him and they got along so well. In a way they were all somewhat similar. Especially James and Sirius.

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Last edited by Bella_Crucio_U; February 18th, 2010 at 7:48 pm.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Fifth Year

Sirius would have died for his friends and expected the same from Peter. Was this unfair or was this an integral part of being a Marauder?

I can understand how someone who would lay down his life for his friends would expect this from others, but I think it was a little unfair. I don't think Sirius realizes that some people really, really don't want to die and will do anything to avoid death.

How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?

I think they both felt left out at times. But they had two different personalities. I doubt Remus actually felt inferior, but I think Peter did. Peter seems to be always looking up to the other two but not participating or not getting it. That signifies that he would join in if he could. Whereas I never got the impression that Remus felt inferior, just that he was not like James and Sirius and didn't want to participate in some of the things they did.

Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981?

Maybe because he was a werewolf and people suspected that he would harbor some resentment toward wizards, and because of that would want to try to get in with someone powerful.

James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?

It was noble, adventurous, and dangerous.

What did the other Marauders think about James' obsession with Lily?

I imagine Sirius thought it was pathetic and the other two thought nothing of it.

How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders? Did she become the fifth Marauder, so to speak?

I doubt she became the fifth marauder. She didn't even know about all the things they did and I doubt she would have joined in if she did.

James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?

I think they were understanding. It's obvious that those two were the closest.

Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?

I don't think he was really happy with the decision, I think he did it out of fear and feelings of inferiority. I also think he was sorry he did it, especially when I think of the hesitation he felt in DH when he was fighting Ron and Harry.

Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?

I think it was peer pressure on the part of Remus and Peter.

How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as (un)funny as the Weasley twins?

They were definitely worse and not funny at all. They're like Fred and George's evil twins . Of course Fred and George did some bad stuff too.

Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?

I think they came out badly, but I already had a bad impression of them from the fifth book and from Harry'y adoration of them.

Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?

Though he's an arrogant toerag, James is my favorite marauder. It's mostly through process of elimination. Remus and Peter were both pathetic in different ways and I can't find anything to admire in a man child.

Last edited by MistressofRaven; February 17th, 2010 at 2:52 am.
Old February 17th, 2010, 3:50 am
Fifth Year

Sirius would have died for his friends and expected the same from Peter. Was this unfair or was this an integral part of being a Marauder?
I dont think so. I think this was just the way they thought, not the creed of their group. Best Friends For Life sort of thing.

How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?
I think Pettigrew felt inferior. He always did. Even his animagus form was inferior. I think this was part of the reason he betrayed the Potters in the first place. As for Lupin, hard to say. After all they all learned to be animagi on his account. I dont think Lupin really felt inferior. He was the level-headed one out of the bunch anyway.

Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?
Its probably because he was a werewolf. Werewolves are usually portrayed as evil minded and on the dark side so to speak. Pettigrew may have said "oh it was Lupin! Hes a bloodthirsty werewolf after all!" or he just mentioned Lupin was a werewolf and people assumed as much. I dont know, its not really clear to me.

James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?
I think its both. Trying to protect their friend but at the same time, doing bits of magic that was not approved at Hogwarts, therefore being the Marauders that they are. Aside from helping Remus, they could get into all sorts of misadventures undetected (even without James' cloak) and map out the castle to make the map.

I always assumed Sirius understood. She was kind and beautiful after all. I think Remus was more or less kinda neutral about it. He probably tried to talk James out of pursuing her but ended up like talking to a brick wall. I would assume Peter was a little jealous.

No. I dont think she really approved of all of what they were doing, aside from protecting Remus. After 6th year or so, the Marauders in general, kinda mellowed out. (aside from James being a jerk to just "that one guy" ) I think they all sort of grew up and Lily managed to cement that.

James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?
I think Remus was totally understanding about it. After all Sirius was closer to James than any of them. I dont know about Pettigrew.

Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?
I do not think the others would have forgiven him at all. He did it for Voldemort. Was he happy about it? *shrug* No idea. I think he was more interested in saving his own skin, so as long as his little vermin butt was in the clear, im sure he was fine with it.

Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?
I think Remus would have joined regardless. A sort of karmic redemtion for being a werewolf. He always felt like it was a huge curse. By joining the Order, he could prove to others (and himself most of all) that he wasnt a bad guy. I think Pettigrew was probably pressured.

How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as (un)funny as the Weasley twins?
I think they were worse than the twins. The twins didnt really go out of their way to harm a particular person. *ahem* But aside from that, they were very similar. Well, except the fact the Marauders didnt really do much for their fellow students. The Weasleys did! They went out of their way to undermind and usurp Filch and Umbridge for the sake of the school more or less. Also creating the joke shop. The Marauders, i got the impression, were looking out for the Marauders only.

Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?
I think Rowling was pretty much saying James is not a Gary Stu, he is actually a human being with faults just like everyone else. She was making Harry see that. That began in Order of the Phoenix. Of course, the nature of the Marauders made me like them a lot less, but it was done for the reason of showing Harry everyone can be a jerk. Really, i do think they were jerks when they were really young. Blatently egotistical and arrogant. It took them years to correct it. (and in Sirius's case, a little too late...)

Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?
Remus. The reason? Because he was more level-headed. Although he tended to turn a blind eye to his friends (who hasnt?), hes still a cool guy. He never really went out of his way to be a butt to any of the other students. (including that one guy, perhaps why that one guy didnt really hate him that much.) I think the other Marauders needed him around to be the voice of reason. Of course the others appreciated him. After all they went to all that trouble to learn to shapeshift for him!

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old February 17th, 2010, 4:05 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post

I think they were worse than the twins. The twins didnt really go out of their way to harm a particular person. *ahem* But aside from that, they were very similar. Well, except the fact the Marauders didnt really do much for their fellow students. The Weasleys did! They went out of their way to undermind and usurp Filch and Umbridge for the sake of the school more or less. Also creating the joke shop. The Marauders, i got the impression, were looking out for the Marauders only.

I feel the same way about them. It seems that most of the things the marauders did was in private and the only think they did in public was hex people. Whereas the twins were very public with everything. Even before they had the joke shop, they were always giving/selling their inventions to other students. I feel like the marauders would not have shared anything theu made to help others (much like with the marauder's map). That reminds me that Fred and George even gave the map to Harry when they saw he could use it.

Old February 17th, 2010, 4:23 am
Fifth Year

Totally. Fred and George seemed to think that everyone needed a bit more mischief in their lives to make it interesting and fun. In Order of the Phoenix, this came to a forefront. Everyone was down in the dumps because of Umbridge. What did the twins do? Sneak in their joke products and pass them out. Used them on Filch and Umbridge. I mean, they went out of their way to create that swamp in the middle of that corridor so Harry and gang could go help Sirius. I dont know if the Marauders would have done that for someone outside their little group. The twins were passing out those candies and things to first years in order to undermine the authority!

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old February 17th, 2010, 5:01 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

1. Sirius would have died for his friends and expected the same from Peter. Was this unfair or was this an integral part of being a Marauder?

I think it was less an integral part of being a Marauder than it was an integral part of being a friend. You don't betray your friends. Certainly not to someone who wants to murder them.

2. How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?

I'm guessing that Peter felt left out and inferior. I'm not sure how Remus felt, but he seems to have had a pretty easy relationship with Sirius later on as an adult, so I tend to think that Remus felt part of the group. I also think that Remus was gratified just to have friends.

4. James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?

It was noble so long as they kept it in the Shrieking Shack. It was highly irresponsible and dangerous when they went onto the grounds. And it was illegal not to register their Animagus status.

I have no idea.

6. How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders? Did she become the fifth Marauder, so to speak?

No. I don't think she had much at all to do with the Marauders.

7. James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?

Unlikely they were terribly hurt. Why would they be?

9. Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?

Peter was the quintessential follower. Remus probably would have joined regardless. He joined up again in the Second War and stayed in even after Sirius' death. I think that being part of the Order was something that Remus did because he wanted to do it.

10. How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as (un)funny as the Weasley twins?

Fred and George are much funnier and appear to be much nicer people. I really like Fred and George. I'm not fond of the Marauders. The Marauders had a much darker mean streak. Fred and George seem to have used their darker mischief for real good - like undermining Umbridge.

11. Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?

Yes, it made me dislike James and Sirius pretty intensely, at least as young boys and teenagers.

12. Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?

I like Remus the best. He seems to be the kindest one, both as a teen and an adult. He's the only one who seems to regret the nastier and more dangerous pranks they pulled. And he grew up to be a pretty decent man, a good DADA teacher, and a good mentor to Harry. I don't know what the other Marauders appreciated in him actually.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old February 17th, 2010, 5:10 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Ahhh, the poll is eeeevil! I can't choose between a dog or rat. I'd probably go with the safest form, whatever that is. Rats can definitely run and hide very easily, and yet are often targeted by exterminators or run over by cars. Dogs, on the other hand, are looked after by humans, but they aren't able to hide as easily, and may get killed by local wildlife.
And there's no way in heck I'm choosing the werewolf. Being one's bound to not be very much fun.

I may get to the questions later. ^^

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old February 17th, 2010, 9:51 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I feel the same way about them. It seems that most of the things the marauders did was in private and the only think they did in public was hex people. Whereas the twins were very public with everything. Even before they had the joke shop, they were always giving/selling their inventions to other students. I feel like the marauders would not have shared anything theu made to help others (much like with the marauder's map). That reminds me that Fred and George even gave the map to Harry when they saw he could use it.
I agree. The Marauders never really did anything public and they kept very much to themselves.
In contrast to Fred and George, I think the Marauders in a way liked to prove that they were as clever as they were. They made the Marauder's Map which is something the twins obviously never thought of. They also became Animagi and I doubt the twins would do that either. Plus, the Marauders became Animagi without Dumbledore even knowing which is really something because Dumbledore dosn't miss a thing. Even in detentions they would find a way to break the rules by using the two-way mirror. They always had to be a step ahead of everyone and I believe that's why they gave themselves a group name. I think that James and Sirius especially thought that they were in a different league than everyone else. I think that Fred and George are purely into jokes/fun stuff and as you said they were public about the stuff they did.
Part of the reason why I think the Marauders only associated with themselves is because they got bored easily. They needed adventure and they hated to just sit around. That also explains why they did things on a grander scale than the twins. The Marauders needed more of a challenge.

Padfoot is my love

Old February 18th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Sixth Year

Study Questions

I'd say this was an integral part of being a friend.

I'm not sure about Peter but I don't think it bothered Remus. In a group, its natural that people will be closer to one person than the other.

3. Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?

I don't think he was the main suspect. I think only Sirius believed it to be Remus. I don't think James believed that any of his friends could be a traitor and I'm sure Dumbledore considered all three as possible suspects. Peter may have fueled suspicions in Sirius though.

I guess both. They'd have wanted to do something to help Remus and this would have been an exciting option. I'd daresay that even if they found some other way to help Remus, they'd have chosen to become Animagi because it would have been more exciting and adventurous.

I think they'd have put up with it. It may have irritated them if James was constantly talking about Lily but I don't think it would have bothered them all that much.

I think she'd have been the one that made James behaving more maturely and responsibly. I definitely think that she became a part of Marauders. I don't think the group dynamics changed all that much though.

I don't think they'd have been surprised or hurt by that decision. They probably saw that coming long back.

8. Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?

I don't think he was ever happy with his decision. They way I see Peter, he was forced into doing a lot of things which he didn't like and was too cowardly to do anything about it.
    I don't think they would have forgiven him unless he did something major to make up for it. Peter wasn't evil just weak.

I think they discussed it before hand and made a joint decision. Peter, IMO, went with the flow and agreed to it.

I think they'd probably be the same. James and Sirius were supposed to have hexed people just for the heck of it. I have trouble believing that. Its most likely Slytherins that got it. I can't imagine people from other houses causing problems for them.

11. Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favorably or came out badly?

DH didn't change anything. They were portrayed favorably IMO.

Sirius Black. He was clever, good looking, could turn into man's best friend, brave, stood up for what he thought was right, loyal etc. I do think that his friends appreciated it.

Old February 18th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Seventh Year

No, I don't think this was unfair at all. Even if Peter wasn't a Marauder, in a war situation, comrades-in-arms shouldn't betray each other. There's a reason the name "Benedict Arnold" has the meaning it does. The fact that Peter was a close friend of the Potters makes his betrayal considerably worse.

No, I don't think they did. I think Remus was glad to have friends, and Peter was glad to have powerful friends.

Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?

I don't know why. I think it may have been a combination of Remus's secretive role spying with the werewolves, and some latent prejudice/mistrust of werewolves in general. I also think Peter may have encouraged this mistrust.

Both. There are so many things the Marauders could have done when they found out Remus was a werewolf: they could have told the entire school, they could have simply turned their back on him, they could have told their families etc.. Instead, they chose to become animagi, which I think says something about their sense of loyalty.

That said, I think Sirius's line in OotP (something like) "I wish it were the full moon" does suggest that they did do it for adventure's sake. If it were pure loyalty, they wouldn't have wandered around the grounds, and instead stayed in the shack.

I can imagine some light teasing initially, but I don't think it really bothered them or anything like that.

No, I don't think she had anything to do with them.

No, I don't think they would have been all that bothered. They probably expected it.

It would take something really big to forgive him for that. I don't think they would have.

I think by the end of PoA at least, he was severely regretting his decision to betray the Potters. Voldemort kind of says as much in the beginning of GoF if I'm not mistaken.

I think Remus would have joined the Order independently of James and Sirius. Peter, I'm not so sure. I think he probably followed the other three.

I agree with previous posters in that I think Fred and George were a bit nicer to their fellow students than the Marauders. Both groups of students had the same mischevious streak, but I don't think Fred and George ever behaved as arrogantly and as mean-spiritedly as the Marauders. I don't think Fred and George were ever bullies.

It didn't change my perception of them at all.

My favorite Marauder is Sirius. He is easily the most complex and dark of the Marauders. To call him a "man-child" I think is highly reductionist of what he was. Sirius is someone who had everything- money, popularity, looks, talent, and partly through his own personality flaws and partly due to circumstances outside his control, lost all of it (except maybe his talent). I often marvel at how strong he remained through all of it. He could have been much more messed up than he was.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by halfbreedlover; February 19th, 2010 at 4:49 am.
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Second Year

I don't know if I'd consider it an integral part, but when you consider the kind of people James and Sirius were, I can see why they would believe that their best friends would do the same for them. And I believe Remus would have, had it come down to it.

I think Peter definitely felt inferior to James and Sirius, both because they were so close and because he was the least talented of the group and seen as just a hanger on - maybe that's what he felt about himself and he didn't realise that they did, at least on some level, see him as a trusted mate.
I don't think Remus felt anything like that, because he was just happy to have friends who understood him and accepted who he was.

I think we know why - the spy was definitely one of the Marauders, James knew Sirius would never sell him out and they both thought Peter didn't have the balls to do so, therefore by process of elimination it had to be Remus.

A bit of both. I imagine they did it so that they could be there for their friend, but at the same time I can imagine James and Sirius loving the danger of it.

I think they understood how he felt about her. That being said, boys are boys and I can't see Sirius (or Remus or even Peter) not taking the **** whenever they had a chance to.

I think she did, in a way. I believe that Lily understood the deep bond between the four of them and realised that if she was going to be married to James, they were part of the deal. At the same time, I think the Marauders all realised that their relationship with James had changed slightly, but they all liked Lily as well.

I think they would have understood - Sirius was his best friend, after all. I imagine that had they gone on to have more kids, they would have been potential godfathers as well (had Peter never changed sides).

I don't think that Peter was ever happy about betraying his friends. He did it to save his arse, but once he realised that he wasn't saving himself at all, then he realised what he had done. I can imagine him crying about it in private quite a lot.
Would they forgive him? I don't think Sirius and Remus could. The Marauder bond was that deep.

I think that James, Sirius and Remus all would have joined the moment they could - it would have been a joint decision between those three. Peter I can imagine being a bit nervous about it, but he'd followed James and Sirius in everything they did since he was 11 and probably wasn't going to change now for fear of what they'd do to him.

I think the Marauders were a lot nastier than the Weasley twins. I don't ever remember Fred and George hexing anyone, even Slytherins, without some kind of cause. However, I can imagine their fans all found them equally funny.

It didn't change much, although I was surprised that Peter was so willing to kill Harry - maybe he truly was more evil than I believed. Or just scared of what Voldy could do to him. I enjoyed James and Sirius' little cameo at the end. And I'm so sad for Remus. As for what we learnt about them in their youth, well we knew they were twats back then anyway.

Sirius is my favourite cause he could be a Gary Stu-version of me - he's reckless and a bit thoughtless at times, but at the same time he's deeply loyal to his mates. I think that even if the earlier traits irritated the Marauders at times, they all truely appreciated his loyalty.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.

Last edited by HeadLikeAHole; February 18th, 2010 at 11:36 pm.
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:37 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
[*]Sirius would have died for his friends and expected the same from Peter. Was this unfair or was this an integral part of being a Marauder?
I don't think it's unfair at all, it's part of being a friend. I think it's very reasonable to expect that your friends won't sell you out to a madman. I also believe that the others would have understood if the information had been tortured out of Peter, but he spent a year passing information to Voldemort, culminating in the Potter's location. When I think of that, I always wonder why in that year, Peter never looked for help, or even left the country. Also, having joined the Order, people knew the risks and what was expected of them.

Quote:
[*]How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?
I think Remus was just glad to have friends, which was why he didn't criticise their behaviour, he probably accepted that James and Sirius were like brothers and been glad to be included.
Likewise, I think Peter was glad to be a member of a popular group of people, and while he may or may not have been jealous, I think it would have been more important to him to be liked and accepted.

Quote:
[*]Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?
I wonder if Remus had spent time undercover with the werewolves at the time and maybe wasn't as close to his friends as he had been. I also think that James and Sirius possibly thought Peter looked up to them too much to betray them.

Quote:
[*]James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?
I think it was both, but especially it shows their dedication to helping a friend. However, I do think that it was reckless and unwise of them to leave the Shack.

Quote:
[*]What did the other Marauders think about James' obsession with Lily?
To be honest, I think this James-was-obsessed-with-Lily thing is a bit more fanon than canon. We see James ask her out once, I don't believe that means he continually asked her out or fawned over her. I think his pride was severely dented after Lily turned him down and he may have turned to dating other girls for a while to try to get over her, much as Ginny did to get over Harry. I don't see any boy with a shred of self-respect continually asking out a girl who keeps refusing him.
In terms of knowing he fancied her, I'd imagine it would have been much the same as any boys knowing their friend has a crush - a bit of good-natured ribbing.

Quote:
[*]How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders? Did she become the fifth Marauder, so to speak?
I don't imagine Lily became the fifth Marauder. However, her letter to Sirius shows that she did become closer to them and became friends with them.

Quote:
[*]James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?
I think they would have understood why Sirius was godfather to Lily and James' first child - it's likely they would probably have been godfathers to subsequent babies in the Potter family.

Quote:
[*]Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?
I don't think he was exactly happy with the decision, but I don't see that he expresses genuine remorse for it either - his prime concern seems to be that the betrayal backfired on him. He doesn't apologise in the Shack, or show any kind of regret to three people whose lives he has affected so negatively, instead, he makes excuses.
The silver hand turns on him because he shows reluctance to murder Harry- this isn't the same as regret, imo.
I can't see Sirius and Remus being able to forgive Peter -perhaps if he'd shown remorse. They would have understood if the information had been tortured out of him, or discovered by means of Legilimency. However, spending a year passing information to Voldemort was just too much and too deliberate.

Quote:
[*]Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?
I think Sirius, James and Remus would have been willing to join the Order anyway, perhaps Peter joined because he didn't want to be left out, the odd one out.

Quote:
[*]How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as (un)funny as the Weasley twins?
I think both the Marauders and the Weasley twins carried things a bit too far sometimes- Montague in the Vanishing Cabinet, testing products on first years, for example. The difference is, we don't see the teenage Marauders with their own Housemates, so we don't know how they got on with those outside their little group (although they seemed popular). They also didn't have anyone like Umbridge to lead a student rebellion against (as far as we know), nor did they seem interested in quitting school, so that would explain the lack of fireworks and swamps. All I'm saying, is we don't see enough of the Marauders to say exactly how they got on with and were perceived by most of the students.

Quote:
[*]Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?
I think I like the Marauders even more now -their appearance in The Forest Again was just utterly touching and exactly what Harry needed at the time, I also loved Lily's letter and the beautiful family scene before the tragedy at Godric's Hollow. I've always liked the Marauders, because of something that is far more important than their flaws, including teenage recklessness and immaturity. They were brave, honourable young men, who actively involved themselves in fighting a great evil. Three of them were willing to give their lives for this cause, and did so. More important than their flaws, James, Sirius and Remus showed great love, loyalty and courage and for that I have to admire the Marauders.

Quote:
[*]Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?[/list]
Sirius. adfoot: Sirius had the strength to reject his family's indoctrination at a young age, he was a loyal friend, courageous, strong willed, and risked everything for those he loved - from being the decoy secret keeper to risking life and soul to keep Harry safe. I think the other Marauders appreciated this about Sirius - I believe he was someone who would hate to let down a friend.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old February 21st, 2010, 3:53 pm
Fourth Year

I think it's a bit unfair to say that you should die for your friends, but in this case, it was either die or betray your friends and I think that in any friendship you shouldn't betray your friends. I agree with FurryDice that the others would have understood if Wormtail had been tortured, but he willingly gave Voldemort the information.

Remus and Wormtail were probably just glad to have friends, but I imagine them feeling a little left out. Then again, the four of them were together all the time so they had no reason to feel left out.

I don't think Remus was the main suspect, just that Sirius thought it was most likley because Wormtail was too cowardly. James wouldn't have thought it was any of his friends as he trusted them all and Dumbledore must have had suspicions about Sirius, Remus and Wormtail.

At first, it was most likely noble - they wanted to help their friend. James and Sirius probably thought of it as an adventure as well but I can't imagine they'd have become animagi if Remus wasn't a werewolf. Wormtail probably didn't want to do it but was persuaded by James and Sirius.

I think Sirius teased him about it because he seems the type. I don't think it would have bothered them unless he was talking about her for long periods of time, then it would have annoyed them a bit.

She might have calmed down James a bit, but other than that I can't think how she would influence them. I doubt she was involved in any late night wanderings with the Marauders, so no, she didn't become a fifth Marauder but she become a part of the group because in DH, in the letter she wrote to Sirius, she calls everyone by their nicknames

By this point, I think Remus and Wormtail would have understood that James and Sirius were closer to each other than them, so they would have been understanding. I can't imagine Wormtail caring that much, unless this was what caused him to start passing information to Voldemort Remus might have been hurt a little bit but accepted James' choice

I don't think Wormtail was happy with betraying his friends, but he saw it as a choice between saving himself or saving his friends, and saving himself was his priority. Sirius would never have forgiven him, as we see in PoA, he sees it as a personal insult and I think Remus would feel the same - just because it happened to be James he betrayed it could have been any of them. I can't imagine James forgiving Wormatil because he did effectively kill him.

Yes, James and Sirius probably led the way but I doubt Remus needed much persuasion. I think Wormtail didn't want to join, he would rather stay out of the war but wanted to still fit in with the others so he agreed to it.

I think that Fred and George were more "practical jokers" whereas James and Sirius were "troublemakers". Fred and George were just doing it to have fun, make people laugh and, in the end, make some money, but they wouldn't have bullied anyone for no reason like we see James and Sirius do. James and Sirius were nastier and were doing it more for themselves than to make others laugh.

My opinion of them when they were younger worsened, especially James and Sirius, but as adults I think they were portrayed quite favourably - just as much as they had been in the other books really. James and Sirius seemed to have matured in death Oh except Wormtail of course, he appeared to get more evil since GoF, I'm surprised that he seemd so eager to kill Harry in Malfoy Manor. He's like a weaker, pathetic version of Lucius Malfoy just doing what Voldemort tells him to

Aaaaah, well I've always liked Remus because he's so nice to Harry, even though I hate him for trying to run away from Tonks and Teddy but in the end that made him less self-deprecating, so I suppose it's a good thing. And Sirius is always good for a bit of comic relief, despite still acting like a teenager a lot of the time

Old February 22nd, 2010, 4:32 pm
Always Indy's Girl

[Study Questions

[*]Sirius would have died for his friends and expected the same from Peter. Was this unfair or was this an integral part of being a Marauder?

To stand by his friends, I can understand, but to expect/assume Peter to die for James is IMO a little too much. Asking for someone's life in exchange for another life, when they are not family and when the other person whose life is asked of him is looked down upon .... I don't know, I feel that is rather unfair, unless Peter offered, which I don't think he did.

This was not dying in a fight or being killed in a war; this was giving his life so that James, Lily and Harry may live. Can James, Sirius or Lily assume Peter will do this? Can anyone assume this of another? I honestly feel it is too much to ask. Yet James and Sirius seem to have expected Peter to simply die, without asking him if it was okay with him IMO.

Could people really be this naive? The Marauders and Lily certainly were, which is very sad, they lost their lives because of this.

[*]How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?

I think they simply accepted it. I wonder how much of James and Sirius' treatment played a part in Peter becoming what he did eventually.

[*]Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?

I think this was another bad, big mistake. James knew he was not a traitor; he also knew Sirius was not traitor, which left Remus and Peter. As Sirius told Harry in POA, they never thought Peter would be a DE, so that left Remus. Which was IMO a poor way to choose a traitor.

[*]James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?

Adventurous.

[*]What did the other Marauders think about James' obsession with Lily?

Great fun? And once they knew she was friends with a Slytherin, they probably wanted to break it up.

[*]How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders? Did she become the fifth Marauder, so to speak?

I think she tried hard to fit in and I think she succeeded too.

[*]James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?

I think they knew it was a given.

[*]Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?

I think he was okay with his decision. I don't think his friends would ever forgive him.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old February 22nd, 2010, 5:00 pm
Zonko's Employee

It's hardly unfair to expect one's closest friends not to betray one.

I have no idea, since we're not told.

No idea. We're not told.

Both.

No idea ... again, no canon exists on this.

I can't comment on the first question here: there's no canon for me to reference. In answer to the second, I would say 'no' -- we're not shown anything as definite as that. But it does seem to me that Lily gets subsumed as a character into the Marauders' close circle. I am not saying that JKR thereafter portrays Lily 'as one of the gang'. I don't see that in canon. But, as a character, Lily pretty much disappears into the backstory.

Of course, you could say exactly the same thing about James. Except that I think Lily is somewhat more fleshed out than he is.

Again, no canon, so I can't really comment.

I don't think Peter was particularly happy with his decision, his life with Voldemort seems to be extremely unhappy. His fault, of course.

And no, of course they would never have forgiven him. Who would? Sirius and Remus want to kill the guy once they have hunted him down.

Another good question but again, no canon exists here on which I can base any sort of response.

I'm not a fan of Alpha boys who show off. To me the Marauders have more of an 'edge' to them than the Twins.

DH didn't change my mind about any of them except Remus, who I now like less than I used to.

Sirius. I think I agree with Mistress Raven above who described him as a 'man child'.

Why do I like him best? -- I have a literary penchant for dark-haired, tragic, doomed, moody types.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; February 22nd, 2010 at 8:10 pm.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 5:29 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post

Sirius. I agree with halfbreedlover above who described him as a 'man child'. Excellent and accurate description of his character, IMO.

Why do I like him best? -- I have a literary penchant for dark-haired, tragic, doomed, moody types.
Sorry, I didn't. I said "man-child" was a very reductionist way to characterize him, and that he is a much more complex character than that. MistressRaven described him as a "man-child".

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old February 22nd, 2010, 8:12 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreedlover View Post
Sorry, I didn't. I said "man-child" was a very reductionist way to characterize him, and that he is a much more complex character than that. MistressRaven described him as a "man-child".
Oh, sorry. I edited my post accordingly.

I don't really disagree with her description though -- and I like Sirius -- so I will leave it there. He's something of a man-child because he is so scarred by Azkaban, IMO.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 3:55 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Haha you and me both! Maybe that's also why I love Harry so much?

Sorry...back on topic...

Padfoot is my love

Old February 23rd, 2010, 4:08 am
Second Year

One thing I've always wondered about Sirius - did he fight against blood supremacy because of his hatred for his family, or did he abandon his family because he hated blood supremacy? That's a discussion in itself.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies