Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape Character Analysis posts from the April Fool's Prank



 
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old March 31st, 2010, 8:38 pm
TheArchive  Female.gif TheArchive is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 1666 days
Age: 17
Posts: 14
Severus Snape Character Analysis posts from the April Fool's Prank

Severus Snape was not a nice character. He was cruel and mean. He deserved to die.


Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old March 31st, 2010, 8:46 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 3488 days
Posts: 6,296
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchive View Post
Severus Snape was not a nice character. He was cruel and mean. He deserved to die.
Well said Ivy, well said. Have some crayons!


__________________


The End of the Dream.
  #3  
Old March 31st, 2010, 8:47 pm
MistressofRaven's Avatar
MistressofRaven  Female.gif MistressofRaven is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 1898 days
Location: New Orleans
Age: 25
Posts: 931
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchive View Post
Severus Snape was not a nice character. He was cruel and mean. He deserved to die.
How insightful


__________________
who cares about the children

avatar by cpatten-d32vy3p
  #4  
Old March 31st, 2010, 8:49 pm
Daggerstone's Avatar
Daggerstone  Female.gif Daggerstone is offline
Splendide Mendax
 
Joined: 2062 days
Location: In Snape's pocket
Age: 37
Posts: 1,283
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchive View Post
Severus Snape was not a nice character. He was cruel and mean. He deserved to die.


Man, I wish I was 13 - my record with mods would've been spotless!


__________________
  #5  
Old March 31st, 2010, 8:51 pm
Hes's Avatar
Hes  Female.gif Hes is offline
Embroidered by imaginatio
 
Joined: 3562 days
Location: One second out of sync
Age: 33
Posts: 5,972
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Okay chill pill you all! You know that if something offends you, you report and not comment back okay?


__________________


"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."


Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
  #6  
Old March 31st, 2010, 8:51 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 3488 days
Posts: 6,296
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerstone View Post
We were getting into semantics, Tenshi - I was just being my usual helpful self. ^_^

"Between us", I think, means "no one else, not just Harry Potter". And if you find the quote I supplied too vague on Snape's feelings about James... I can provide a couple of rather explicit ones.

Not to go down this particular (linguistic) road any further, I do believe DD had ample opportunity to gauge Snape's feelings on James&co (AND the way they affected his attitude to Potter Jr) in those 6 years he watched Sev and Harry interact (if it somehow escaped his notice during the previous couple of decades).

He never revised his decision to appoint him on 'Help me protect Lily’s son' mission, nor insisted Snape should treat the boy with more kindness.

Having promised 'Anything', I don't see how Severus could refuse.
Not that. The "hope" thing. What are you trying to say there? An explanation please?

About James. I don't see James mentioned in that quote so...


__________________


The End of the Dream.
  #7  
Old March 31st, 2010, 9:49 pm
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 2646 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

I would say that the word "hope" can be interpreted in the statement about Harry's "last hope," in the same way it was in the statement "Help me, Obi-Wan. You're my only hope" Both of the individuals involved are putting their trust in a specific individual because there is nowhere else to turn.

As to Harry's taking off for the Ministry if he trusted Snape. Where, in any of the four previous books do we see Harry not take matters into his own hands and run headlong into dangerous situations? Why should OotP be any different? This doesn't prove a distrust of Snape. It just supports what Hermoine says about Harry's "saving people thing."


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
  #8  
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:08 pm
LoonyForMoony's Avatar
LoonyForMoony  Female.gif LoonyForMoony is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 1904 days
Location: #12 Grimmauld Place
Age: 21
Posts: 507
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven View Post
Again. There is absolutely no canon that Snape was good at cursing right from first grade. The only view we get of Snape in his first year is from TPT, and there is nothing in that chapter that shows that Snape cursed people or even had knowledge of curses.
Actually, Sirius explicitly states that Snape knew more cures and hexes in his first year that most seventh year students did. I understand that Sirius was biased against Snape, but that doesn't mean that his statements can be dismissed out of turn. So, for the purposes of the moment, there's a quote directly from canon stating that Snape actually was proficient in offensive curses from an extremely young age. It isn't as reliable as if it had been contained in the narrative, but neither should it be dismissed simply because it was provided by Sirius- especially since there's nothing that contradicts Sirius's statement anywhere else in canon.


__________________
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me...

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.

Last edited by LoonyForMoony; March 31st, 2010 at 10:12 pm.
  #9  
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:15 pm
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 2646 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

To paraphrase Dumbledore from PoA when Harry, Hermoine, and Ron try to tell him Sirius is innocent: "Who's going to take the word of and 11-year-old wizard?"

How would Sirius know? He never mentions knowing Snape or anything about him on the train. I don't think their families traveled in the same social circles. And, the Blacks would have looked down on Snape as a lowly half-blood.

IMO, whatever Sirius "knew" about Snape before he started school he learned from hearsay. There is only his statement. With all of the memories we see of Snape before he goes to Hogwarts, there is nothing shown that would indicate he is well versed in the Dark Arts. If he was, I'm sure more people than Sirius would have known about it.


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
  #10  
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:25 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 3488 days
Posts: 6,296
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Sirius didn't say that Snape knew curses before he entered Hogwarts, but that Snape knew them in their first year. I assume that Snape must have studied them for some time to have such a vast knowledge as an 11-year old. Same like Hermione read a lot of books about Hogwarts before she had her first class. It's only natural for kids to be curious and Dark Arts can be attractive for some people. Snape had a bad childhood, with his parents fighting next to him. Maybe he saw it as sanctuary to learn about dark things in his childhood. He was introverted and socially not really engaged with others. Dark Arts as a way to help him cope with his surrounding. I can see it.


__________________


The End of the Dream.
  #11  
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:30 pm
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 2646 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that one.


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
  #12  
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:33 pm
MistressofRaven's Avatar
MistressofRaven  Female.gif MistressofRaven is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 1898 days
Location: New Orleans
Age: 25
Posts: 931
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony View Post
Actually, Sirius explicitly states that Snape knew more cures and hexes in his first year that most seventh year students did. I understand that Sirius was biased against Snape, but that doesn't mean that his statements can be dismissed out of turn. So, for the purposes of the moment, there's a quote directly from canon stating that Snape actually was proficient in offensive curses from an extremely young age. It isn't as reliable as if it had been contained in the narrative, but neither should it be dismissed simply because it was provided by Sirius- especially since there's nothing that contradicts Sirius's statement anywhere else in canon.
It also should not be accepted just because he said it. If there was someone else or something in the narrative that proved Sirius's words to be true, I could give more credence to Sirius's words. But all we have are the words of a man who hates Snape. Would you take at face value the words of Draco when he's talking about Harry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that one.
I agree.


__________________
who cares about the children

avatar by cpatten-d32vy3p
  #13  
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:39 pm
OldMotherCrow's Avatar
OldMotherCrow  Female.gif OldMotherCrow is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 2193 days
Location: Here. I'm pretty sure of it.
Posts: 1,260
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerstone View Post
We were getting into semantics, Tenshi - I was just being my usual helpful self. ^_^
I was just wondering what the point you were trying to make was, because it just wasn't clear what you were trying to convey. I still don't understand what you were trying to get at, but I don't really want to get into a semantics discussion if that's all there is to it. It's not a big deal


  #14  
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:48 pm
Ikol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

This is exciting. My first post.


Do you think Snape wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?

No, I don't think so. If at all, Harry should have asked for Severus's forgiveness.

What do you think would Snape say about Albus Severus?

He would probably hate it. Severus wouldn't like the attention, I think. And this is rather showy.

What would you say was Snape's relationship to other Death Eaters like?
What about Order members (during the second war, which excludes James, Sirius and Lily )?

Neither Death Eaters nor Order members thought highly of Severus. He was socially disadvantaged and a bit awkward. So I think his relationship with all his peers was strained or rather distant. He was always polite though.

Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?

Nothing. His imperfections make him perfect.

What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?

Free from all restraints, he may have written a Defense Against the Dark Arts book. I believe this was his passion. It is really sad that JKR killed him before he could live a life away from spying and lying for the greater good.

Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

I am not familiar with these interviews, sorry. Where do I find them?

Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?

I believe he would have. Severus is no murderer. He's good inside. A bit like an Ogre. They are like onions, right?

Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.

They were all justified. Harry, from whose point of view the series is written, was simply mistaken about him and interpreted all his actions in the worst possible way.

Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?

Because he sought to impress Lily. Ah, misguided youth.

How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?

Not at all. Snape tried to help the boys the best he could. But Neville was determinedly stubborn and a danger to his classmates. And Harry was convinced that Snape was always out to hurt him, no matter to what lengths Severus went to save and protect him.


What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Voldemort had targeted with the prophecy?

He was desperate and tried everything to prevent it from happening. And then he devoted the rest of his life to his love for Lily. I think that's very romantic.

What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character?

He was devastated and I believe he never recovered from his loss. I wish she had done more to deserve this devotion. Nevertheless, Snape was a hero.

What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?

He is intelligent and has a fabulous sense of humour. I don't think he has any real flaws apart from his tendency to take things personally. He's just a very tragic character who struggled all his life with the obstacles that were put in his way.
Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?

Yes. Harry was Lily's son, of course he cared for him. Harry just never understood it until it was too late for an apology.

What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?

Dumbledore manipulated Severus. I don't think he ever cared for him. Snape was just another unloved boy of Hogwarts. He died for the greater good without any recognition of his heroic deeds throughout the years. He deserved so much better. I believe that he deeply respected Dumbledore, even though the man never repaid this trust and respect. He way OK with Snape dying, wasn't he?

Do you think Snape should have been sorted into Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?

I believe he would have done well in Ravenclaw. We don't know a lot about this house but at least he wouldn't have been bullied and pressured by wannabe Death Eaters.

There are all kinds of bravery in this series, what characteristics of Snape's make him brave? In what sense is he a hero?

I think he is the true hero of the story. Harry's story is comparably one-dimensional.

What line of profession would Snape have chosen if he had not had to stay at Hogwarts as a professor?

A Scientist and professional potions maker, maybe.


  #15  
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:59 pm
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 1763 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,253
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony View Post
Actually, Sirius explicitly states that Snape knew more cures and hexes in his first year that most seventh year students did. I understand that Sirius was biased against Snape, but that doesn't mean that his statements can be dismissed out of turn. So, for the purposes of the moment, there's a quote directly from canon stating that Snape actually was proficient in offensive curses from an extremely young age. It isn't as reliable as if it had been contained in the narrative, but neither should it be dismissed simply because it was provided by Sirius- especially since there's nothing that contradicts Sirius's statement anywhere else in canon.
This is the only time I'm going to jump in to the Snape thread before Easter. But since narrative POV is one the literary issues I'm most passionate about, I decided to comment.

If it is the case that a statement is to be considered true unless objectively contradicted, then everything in the text that Snape says about the Marauders should also be taken as true unless it is objectively shown to be false.

But let's try this instead:

How about accepting that nothing any of the partisans say about their enemy should be taken at face value unless specifically confirmed by objective evidence. So if Sirius says something about Severus that is not objectively confirmed, let's consider it unreliable. Likewise, if Severus says something about Sirius that is not objectively confirmed, let's consider it unreliable. Remember: unreliable does not mean untrue. It means not to be taken at face value.

As for whether or not there's anything in canon contradicting Sirius' statements... the fact that despite Sirius' assertion, we see zero evidence of young Severus' "Dark activity" in any of the scenes we see of 9-11 year old Severus, yes, there is an implied - though not objective - contradiction. (For it to be an objective contradiction, we would need to see either just about every scene of young Severus' life or hear from a reasonably objective third party like Dumbledore).

I do think it's telling, however, that JKR builds up the reader to believe that young Severus was heavily into the Dark Arts before arriving at Hogwarts... and then presents no objective evidence whatsoever that this was the case. It's either (imo) a slap in the face to Sirius' assertion, or bad writing on the part of JKR. And I don't think it was bad writing.

At any rate (shameless plug), I've written about this specific narrative POV issue here.

Okay. Back to LS-Snape silence until after Easter.

ETA:

to the Snape thread Ikol!


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
  #16  
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:02 pm
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 3067 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 25
Posts: 4,418
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Welcome, Ikol!

Quote:
Nothing. His imperfections make him perfect.
I like that! He's such a fascinating character.

Quote:
I am not familiar with these interviews, sorry. Where do I find them?
Accio Quote is a good place. Click


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP

Last edited by ignisia; March 31st, 2010 at 11:04 pm.
  #17  
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:08 pm
Ikol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Thank you so much for the links and the welcome.


  #18  
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:37 pm
TheArchive  Female.gif TheArchive is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 1666 days
Age: 17
Posts: 14
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven View Post
How insightful
Insightful?
No. Not really; I was just stating facts.

[staff edit]



Last edited by SusanBones; April 1st, 2010 at 12:47 am. Reason: character bashing - Owl sent
  #19  
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:10 am
weasley9's Avatar
weasley9  Male.gif weasley9 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 1750 days
Posts: 832
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchive View Post
Insightful?
No. Not really; I was just stating facts.

It's a fact that he was mean. It's a fact the he was a bully. It's also a fact that he deserved to die. I don't see where it takes insight to make any of those statements...
I don't think it's entirely in your place to state that your viewpoint is fact. Respect other people's opinions, please.

Why did he deserve to die?



Last edited by weasley9; April 1st, 2010 at 12:15 am.
  #20  
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:14 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 3423 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,018
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14

Okay, you guys, quick drive-by post before I'm off to bed. Let's try to be more welcoming to new members, all right?

.:CoS Forums Rules:.
View full rules here
2a. The goal of CoS Forums is to make sure everyone has a good time and can make friends. Obviously not everyone will agree with one another and we ask that you respect the opinions of others. Making sarcastic, or rude remarks directed at another member, or attacking others for holding views different to your own will not be tolerated.


 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:41 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.