Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Cloud Atlas

Old June 19th, 2010, 5:56 pm
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Cloud Atlas

"In development" and with a 2011 date is a movie adaptation of Cloud Atlas. David Mitchell's book is a captivating mixture of science fiction, history and political thriller. Perhaps difficult to get into, but worth the effort.

But will it make a good movie? Is it just too huge a project? People who may be involved include James McAvoy, Ian McKellan, Natalie Portman, Tom Hanks, Halle Berry.

If you've read the book, what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:25 pm
Second Year

Re: Cloud Atlas (May 2012)

I had no idea that there was the possibility that this book would be turned into a film. The book is incredible, one of my favourite of all time but I have no idea how they will fit all six stories into a single film. I would say that with the tightest of scripts, you would still have to allow at least 30 mins for each story so that would be a minimum of 3 hours long. I have to say that this does really interest me, but I'm not convinced they will be able to pull it off.

Old July 31st, 2012, 7:03 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Cloud Atlas (October 2012)

Written by Andy and Lana Wachowski and with a stellar cast (Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving) this could be brilliant or an utter debacle.

Judging from the extended trailer, I'm thinking brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:18 pm

Re: Cloud Atlas (Oct-Nov 2012)

Well, since starting this thread, years ago, I've read the book again, and I still love it. i always worried about the idea of trying to turn it into a movie. It was somehow too personal, I think everyone reads the book differently if that makes any sense. And certainly too 'unique' to be a movie - not a conventional blockbuster.

Having seen the trailer - I'm still worried, but there's a stupid smile on my face. They might just pull it off.

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:37 am

There is a new trailer, just released (IMDB has it) that is pretty good.

Old October 13th, 2012, 7:26 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1 View Post
Well, since starting this thread, years ago, I've read the book again, and I still love it. i always worried about the idea of trying to turn it into a movie. It was somehow too personal, I think everyone reads the book differently if that makes any sense. And certainly too 'unique' to be a movie - not a conventional blockbuster.

Having seen the trailer - I'm still worried, but there's a stupid smile on my face. They might just pull it off.
Roger Ebert did a sort of non-review. Good things to say, but still sorting out what he thinks about it. A good sign, I think, that it's well done.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012..._ive_seen.html

....I miss David Tennant....
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:00 am
First Year

Re: Cloud Atlas

I didn't read the book, but after seeing the movie a few weeks ago I'll definetely do so.

The movie was a bit difficult to follow, especially at the beginning, and I had difficulties to connect the different stories whith each other. Nevertheless, it seemed to carry a very philosophical and in some way important meaning (nah, I can't explain that very well x__X); but this movie somehow moved me, although I didn't fully understand everything.

Old December 18th, 2012, 8:23 am
First Year

I've read the book, but the movie doesn't arrive here until February next year so I haven't seen it yet.

Ravenclaw on CoS
Hufflepuff on Pottermore
Old January 8th, 2014, 3:03 am
Registered Animagus

Saw this not too long ago. It's overlong, but well worth a watch, even though most of the "Island" dialogue that Tom Hanks and Halle Berry say is virtually incomprehensible. It's a flawed movie. I think the idea of using the same actors in different roles doesn't work. But I have to admire the sheer ambition shown.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion