Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Old December 20th, 2010, 9:51 pm
Second Year

Re: Wizarding World of HP... has this happened to anyone else...??

Actually, I think the Lucius Malfoy wand that's inside the cane is made of wood. I may be wrong, but mine is chipped and beech-coloured underneath the black paint..

"A writer who claims to own a character absolutely denies the existence of that character's soul." ~
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2010, 1:36 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_mills View Post
Just curious... Is the wand you purchased from the "Ollivanders" shop in the WWOHP a resin cast wand or is it real wood?

If it's resin, it does this all the time... I also frequent a message board for scale modelers and there are resin casts of different models. The resin will warp and crack a lot of times too...

If it's wood, then I'd have to see the crack...

That's why I use the real wood in my wands... but so many people want the "fancy" designs that they see in the films... Those are all made of resin as of the third film...

Ya mine is resin. Do you know how to fix the crack?? I managed to carefully bend it so that the wand was straight again. It was pretty flexible but there is still a crack in it and it will probably bend back soon.

Old December 21st, 2010, 6:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by captive_lolita
Actually, I think the Lucius Malfoy wand that's inside the cane is made of wood. I may be wrong, but mine is chipped and beech-coloured underneath the black paint...
I would be surprised if a wand from the Noble Collection was made of wood. Not saying it isn't, but I would be surprised if it were. Also, the color of beechwood is pretty much the same as some pines and cottonwood... if it has a heavy grain to it, it might be oak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlaya
Ya mine is resin. Do you know how to fix the crack?? I managed to carefully bend it so that the wand was straight again. It was pretty flexible but there is still a crack in it and it will probably bend back soon.
Resin can be fixed, but not to the same standards it was before the crack. If resin cracked, there were flaws in it when it was cast, plain and simple. It can be heated in real hot water and straightened (not boiling as it will completely melt). I'm talking like tap-water hot hot... Then cool it to harden it with cold water. Two people might be helpful for this... One to straighten (using a wooden ruler or other such straight thing to align the wand properly) and one to control the water temperature. Once the pieces are straightened, it's as simple as supergluing them together.

I have a question... If the wand split and cracked... Did the wand have a core in it? I am also curious to know how much they are selling their wands.

You know, there are members on these boards here *wink wink* that sell handcrafted wands made of wood that actually have cores in them... Just a thought... You can ask around and find out who makes them and contact them...

Hope it works out for you!
CM

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old December 21st, 2010, 6:54 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by captive_lolita View Post
Actually, I think the Lucius Malfoy wand that's inside the cane is made of wood. I may be wrong, but mine is chipped and beech-coloured underneath the black paint..
Yeah, mine's like that too. I think all the Noble wands are made of resin otherwise though.

Proud Ravenclaw!

*No idea who made my avatar, but credit goes to whoever out there on the internet made it!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 2:45 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_mills View Post
I am also curious to know how much they are selling their wands.

WWOHP is selling there wands for $28.99 (I think thats the exact price). And how long do you need to hold it under hot water and cold water? I did it for a few minutes under each and it seems a bit stiffer but i am still able to move the broken part...

Old December 22nd, 2010, 6:56 am
Third Year

Re: Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

I'd run them both under the hot water until they are movable... then, once they can be bent and placed together, turn the water to cold... leave them there for about a minute or so. This should stiffen up the parts. Afterward, use some superglue to mend the parts together.

Again, I'm only guessing that this is going to work. If it doesn't, you're still out a wand, but at least you tried. Also, no one else has mentioned anything but having it replaced. If the wands at the WWOHP are the same as the Noble Collection ones, then I don't think it would be too dishonest to purchase a second identical wand from the Noble Collection and return the broken one... Or, try calling a 1-800 number...

Hope it helps!
CM

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old December 22nd, 2010, 9:14 am
First Year

It's great, absolutely beautiful, I would very like to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlaya View Post
WWOHP is selling there wands for $28.99 (I think thats the exact price). And how long do you need to hold it under hot water and cold water? I did it for a few minutes under each and it seems a bit stiffer but i am still able to move the broken part...
You could wands also buy in London in Hamleys, I bought last summer Hermione's wand, it cost me 25 £. In Hamleys also they have brooms and other wands(Harry's, Ron's, Voldemort's).

Old December 23rd, 2010, 3:46 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcperrot View Post
I'm going to the Wizarding World in February, and am really excited! I can imagine I'll spend quite a bit of money there. Any advice you can give me? What's the best time of day to go? Is it very busy in February?
February will not be busy at all. Still if there is any kind of crowd it will be right when the park opens. My suggestion is to hit a few other things in the park before running right for harry potter. Also, like i suggested many times before. Make sure you revisit WWOHP at night before close. Hogsmeade looks great and its more fun to shop in the evening anyways because you don;t have to walk around with food and other merchandise while waiting in lines for rides and stuff.

Last edited by Snuffy; December 23rd, 2010 at 3:49 am.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 5:29 am
First Year

Hey everyone, I'm Sam from Australia. New to the CoS forums hehe. Anyway, I am dying to visit the WWOHP. For those who have been, what did you all buy? I absolutely LOVE merchandise, haha, c'mon, who doesn't?

House of Slytherin - Son of Bellatrix Lestrange
Old December 30th, 2010, 3:43 am
Fourth Year

Went yesterday, it was crazy how many people were there. You could barely walk. There were hour long lines just to go into the stores. The Forbidden Journey ride was very cool though. And there was no wait for the dragon challenge ride, which was odd. Butterbeer was alright, takes getting used to. It's really sweet.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old December 30th, 2010, 1:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th_Wonder View Post
Went yesterday, it was crazy how many people were there. You could barely walk. There were hour long lines just to go into the stores. The Forbidden Journey ride was very cool though. And there was no wait for the dragon challenge ride, which was odd. Butterbeer was alright, takes getting used to. It's really sweet.
Ya, the park itself had to close due to compacity this week. It also happened at Disney world a couple times. We avoided the parks for *** most part this week cause of the crowds. Except for Christmas, we went to Epcot.

As for the dragon challenge. Its a redone ride so a lot of locals skips it. But another reason why the ride lines aren't a long is because the trains move so fast. On the busiest of busy days that ride can keep people moving through.

FYI for people who are going to Universal after this week. The crowds should die off and the park should be pretty empty until spring break.

Old December 30th, 2010, 2:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Ya, the park itself had to close due to compacity this week. It also happened at Disney world a couple times. We avoided the parks for *** most part this week cause of the crowds. Except for Christmas, we went to Epcot.

As for the dragon challenge. Its a redone ride so a lot of locals skips it. But another reason why the ride lines aren't a long is because the trains move so fast. On the busiest of busy days that ride can keep people moving through.

FYI for people who are going to Universal after this week. The crowds should die off and the park should be pretty empty until spring break.
This is true. And I will add that this is what theme parks are like on break with new things in them xD. Normally during the holiday season the parks are busy anyway, but with Potter here, it's hugely busy right now. If you go right after New Years it will be very empty. All break times are busy as is, because of vacations. I suggest not going during any vacation season anytime soon. Other parks would probably be alright, but with Potter, I can picture it being very busy again this season...

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.
Old December 30th, 2010, 3:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogki View Post
This is true. And I will add that this is what theme parks are like on break with new things in them xD. Normally during the holiday season the parks are busy anyway, but with Potter here, it's hugely busy right now. If you go right after New Years it will be very empty. All break times are busy as is, because of vacations. I suggest not going during any vacation season anytime soon. Other parks would probably be alright, but with Potter, I can picture it being very busy again this season...
I am dreading going over Spring Break in April because of exactly this. Alas, as a teacher it is the only time my friend and I can both get off work to go. I am already anticipating ridiculous crowds, but I figure Potter with insane holiday crowds is better than not going at all. I'm actually excited to go at a time when Potter mania is probably at it's "last hurrah" in the months preceding the final movie. I'll probably change my tune after standing in a line for hours in the hot sun with screaming kids around, but I think it's neat to go when the mania is at an all time high for both book AND movie fans. 107 days to go!

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old December 30th, 2010, 4:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
I am dreading going over Spring Break in April because of exactly this. Alas, as a teacher it is the only time my friend and I can both get off work to go. I am already anticipating ridiculous crowds, but I figure Potter with insane holiday crowds is better than not going at all. I'm actually excited to go at a time when Potter mania is probably at it's "last hurrah" in the months preceding the final movie. I'll probably change my tune after standing in a line for hours in the hot sun with screaming kids around, but I think it's neat to go when the mania is at an all time high for both book AND movie fans. 107 days to go!
That's definitely a positive way of looking at it xD... My parents say that once we get back on our feet, our next trip will be to Potter (mainly to stop me talking about it xD). I think that Spring Break will be comparable to Summer Break. As long as you don't go first thing, and go back at night when there are no lines, you should be able to experience everything. I do suggest doing Ollivanders first thing because it is, by far, the most popular shop there. Forbidden Journey will tempt you with the castle looming in the distance however, the shops gain great lines too...

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:57 pm
Fourth Year

It was a spontaneous trip to Islands of Adventure for me. I have some cousins visiting and we decided to drive up to Orlando and back in one day (I live in Miami). Looking forward to going again because we didn't have time to go into any of the shops. And the interior of the Dragon Challenge ride is much better than what it was when it was called Dueling Dragons. I was just surprised that there was no wait for it when the place was so packed.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old December 31st, 2010, 4:55 pm
Second Year

Not sure if people read this Orlando Sentinel article, but its about the success of HP at Universal and execs talking expansion.

The very last paragraph has me the most excited becuase not only does it confirm they will be doing something but it will have to include DH movies. Click HERE for the article.

Here's the quote if you dont want to read the article:

Quote:
Although they won't discuss specific plans, Universal executives say additions to Wizarding World will happen at some point. The resort's licensing contract with Warner Bros. requires it to incorporate elements from the final Potter films, the last of which will open in theaters in July.

Old January 5th, 2011, 6:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Not sure if people read this Orlando Sentinel article, but its about the success of HP at Universal and execs talking expansion.
Expansion sounds amazing! I just recently went to the HP theme park last week, and it was quite amazing. I was a little bit disappointed, though, because I felt that they could have done a ton more (lots of the shops were just visible from the outside and you couldn't actually go in), but expanding it would definitely make it a lot better. I would definitely go back a second time if it were expanded!

Also, I really hope that Butterbeer, Honeydukes' candies, and Zonkos' toys are released in actual stores...

"I never really gave up on you.
Not really.
I always hoped..."

Old January 6th, 2011, 5:21 am
Second Year

I went in July, and the place was packed seeing as it had just opened. I loved it, but I can't really see where they could expand unless they took away some of the other parks. Frankly that whole Sinbad section could be toppled over and they could expand there. But even without the expansion it's something that every HP fan should go to.

Just a suggestion though, go at night. Florida is a disgustingly hot state, and the lines only make it seem hotter.

Proud Gryffindor
Old January 7th, 2011, 3:37 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby_26 View Post
I went in July, and the place was packed seeing as it had just opened. I loved it, but I can't really see where they could expand unless they took away some of the other parks. Frankly that whole Sinbad section could be toppled over and they could expand there. But even without the expansion it's something that every HP fan should go to.

Just a suggestion though, go at night. Florida is a disgustingly hot state, and the lines only make it seem hotter.
Welll thats the thing. I am pretty sure if they do expand they will probably take over the rest of the Lost Continent. Other then that, they might try and put something Harry Potter in Universal Studios to even out the crowd. nothing like hogsmeade but maybe another simulator type ride. They are looking to shut down either ET or Jaws or both. both these rides could be converted to a real set Harry potter ride. A flight thru the Forbidden Forest for the ET ride, or a boat ride in the black lake for Jaws. Who knows really.

Old January 9th, 2011, 4:00 pm
First Year

i'm hopefully going for my birthday in may..i was at universal in april for my sr class trip (universal.island of adenture) and saw hogwarts!!! amazing sight!!! it was beautiful!!!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies