Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old October 8th, 2011, 11:57 am
First Year

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Paper Heart 9/10

A beautiful romantic comedy with a twist. It's a documentary mixed with a fictional storyline in which the actress Charlyne Li (Knocked Up) travels across America with her friend and director Nick trying to understand the meaning of love, which she doesn't understand. She talks with a huge group of people (including Seth Rogan) who all have their own interpretation of love. However, during the filming Charlyne meets fellow actor Michael Cera (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Superbad) at a party and a romance blossoms, turning the documentary on it's head.

I really enjoyed the film, and Charlyne and Michael make an interest, albeit fictional, couple. The only problems I have with it is the end. I didn't particularly enjoy it and feel the film wasn't finished off properly. But it's very funny and awkward, like every other indie film that I know and love

Pottermore:
RookFlight56
Slytherin
12 ½ inches, Dragon heartstring, Hazel, Slightly springy
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Fourth Year

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

This is from the novel by John le Carre ( I believe he has a cameo role in it) and it's brilliant. I have both read the book and seen (repeatedly) the BBC production and this new film compares very well.

George Smiley is brought back to the Circus (British Secret Service) to investigate whether there is a Russian mole.

Amazing cast - Gary Oldman is brilliant as Smiley ( not easy as the original Smiley was Alec Guinness) - he carries it off really well.

The rest of the cast is amazing too - Colin Firth, John Hurt, Roger Lloyd Pack, Ciaran Hinds, Toby Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Strong, Tom Hardy, Kathy Bates and David Dencik - all are brilliant.

There isn't much action - no car chases but it is still gripping.

I'm still struggling to pick out the best acting performance in the film - Cumberbatch is great as is Mark Strong - but everyone is brilliant.

I give it 10 - and i want to see it again!

Old October 10th, 2011, 8:19 pm
First Year

REAL STEEL
I saw it two days ago and was expecting to not like it. I am a girly girl and not really into those sorts of movies, but I really enjoyed it! Hugh Jackman did a great job, but Dakota Goyo stole the show!

I will give it a 8.5/10

Old October 12th, 2011, 10:17 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Sherlock Jr. -- 9/10

Just saw this Buster Keaton film recently and it was worth the watch. The plot isn't the strongest, I'd only give it about a 6/10 on it... but other than that it was well acted and well done.

It has to deal with a young film projectionist who wants to be a detective... and puts his skills to the test in terms of trying to find his girlfriend's watch.

Buster himself did a wonderful job stunt wise and I felt for his character each time that something got in his way. As for the other actors, they did well stunt wise too and were believable in their parts as well.

I gave this film such a high score overall due to what I mentioned above, even though plot wise it wasn't the best.

At the end of the day, the plot didn't matter. All that did, was the fact that I laughed during parts of the film itself and felt great after watching it.

A must see for all comedic movie fans .

My first ship, Perry Mason and Della Street .

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X-Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old October 14th, 2011, 1:44 pm
Fourth Year

Melancholia - It looked interesting from the trailer, it's probably a little above the standard of film I would usually go and see, but I was intrigued. Visually it was amazing, especially the opening sequence, and the music that went with it. I thought "Part 1" of the film dragged on a little too long, and I much preferred the second half of the film. I can see why the first part was necessary but it just made it feel a bit long and tiring to watch. The ending was brilliant though. Definitely glad I saw it, and I thought Kirsten Dunst was brilliant. 7/10

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old October 14th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Eldest Gruff

I loved the trailer of Melancholia, it's interesting to see a review on it - thanks!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 14th, 2011, 3:02 pm
Seventh Year

I watched Thor last night.

Spoiler: show
If characters are important to you - well, I thought that part of the movie was a flop. No character development, and they weren't particularly well written to start with. They hired who they thought was a gorgeous blond guy with muscles and we filled in the blanks. Imagine teenage giggling (it's in the movie as well). 4/10

Plot? Meh. They tired for a good storyline, and dramatic tension, but just wasn't all that interesting. King's oldest son makes mistake, starts war, gets banished, evil younger brother takes over kingdom, makes deal with the bad guys, banished older brother redeems himself, returns, bla bla bla... 6/10

Setting, special effects - RULES. The night sky over the planet, the bridge...breathtaking. If this important to you (and it does make the DVD Netflix rental worthy) then this movie is a must see. 9/10

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown

owlcat207 - first batch - Proud Member of the House of the Dancing Cupcakes
Old October 16th, 2011, 9:43 pm
Fourth Year

I saw Midnight in Paris last week and I really enjoyed it. It's a gentle comedy with an enjoyable twist and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Owen Wilson was brilliant as the main, Woody Allen character. Music and scenery were great, as was the atmosphere of the various eras in the film. i'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

Old October 16th, 2011, 11:00 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post

If characters are important to you - well, I thought that part of the movie was a flop. No character development, and they weren't particularly well written to start with. They hired who they thought was a gorgeous blond guy with muscles and we filled in the blanks. Imagine teenage giggling (it's in the movie as well). 4/10

Plot? Meh. They tired for a good storyline, and dramatic tension, but just wasn't all that interesting. King's oldest son makes mistake, starts war, gets banished, evil younger brother takes over kingdom, makes deal with the bad guys, banished older brother redeems himself, returns, bla bla bla... 6/10

Setting, special effects - RULES. The night sky over the planet, the bridge...breathtaking. If this important to you (and it does make the DVD Netflix rental worthy) then this movie is a must see. 9/10
That was all about the comic book and the setup for The Avengers movie next year.

I have seen Real Steel and it didn't suck. Which surprised me.

The whole emotional bonding between father and son was thrown at you bluntly as a thrown brick, but I wasn't expecting too much from that angle.

The movie was heavy handed, and just as handled. But it was entertaining just the same.

I believe Sugar Ray Leonard helped choreograph the fight scenes.
The big fight at the end was all Rocky (the first one) meets Rock'em Sock'em robots; the little underdog (Atom) vs the big mean (Zeus), and I have to say it was pretty damn cool.

In my opinion, the ending amounted to a real boxer squaring off against a video gamer.The two things that gave the G-2 sparring 'bot, aka "Atom," an edge was it's armor (it could take a good deal of punishment) and an earlier program that was apparently considered obsolete later; "shadowing;" an ability for a 'bot to mimic the others' moves, In this case, our protaganist Charley Kenton (Hugh Jackman) in the end round at that last fight. In the trailer you see the part where that 'bot jumps and lands an awesome looking blow? In the foreground, Charley is doing the same movement, the bot is just mimicking him....but damn it that fight still looked Rocky-esque.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:32 pm
Seventh Year

Drive
I might love this film. It might luxuriate in the silences and pauses too much, there are parts that I would tighten up - but then, how often do thrillers or action movies find so much in silences and pauses, how often are there lines to read in between? Ryan Gosling is terrific here, as are Bryan Cranston and Albert Brooks (why Albert Brooks? I don't know, but I'm so glad someone thought of him for this), with Carey Mulligan not quite as strong, but still good. I love the style and atmosphere, and I love director Nicolas Winding Refn's camerawork/camera placement; I'm eager now to go and take a look at some of Refn's previous work (especially Bronson, which I've been meaning to see for a while anyway).

Quote:

I totally disagree with the latter; Chris Hemsworth is far better than that (although he is an attractive man...). Hemsworth doesn't have the gravitas of, say, Christian Bale's Batman, or the surprising complexity of Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark, but he has charm, confidence, and a fine screen presence as Thor, and carries the film very well, I think. As for character development, there's a great deal of it in our hero...It's just not depicted particularly well. Thor goes from arrogant, entitled, brash, and dangerously reckless to someone far more humble, serious, and nobly courageous, a potentially great leader of Asgard (or defender of Earth, as the case will soon be). These major changes seem to occur largely offscreen, in the course of about a day, though - or a weekend, max. Thor's growth is not portrayed that effectively, and that is where I find the character development really lacking. Loki becomes colder and more alienated, and thus angrier and more menacing, as the film goes, but other than these two brothers, no one else changes. I don't know that Jane Foster is defined as well as she should be, 'though I think Natalie Portman does good work making her a more present, active character than she probably was on the page. Odin is a strong, dynamic presence, but you've seen the character before - that's okay, though; this is a towering, intimidating, demanding father on a near-Shakespearean level, and Anthony Hopkins is great.

Quote:
Well, you've basically said it - there is plot, there is a lot of story here being told, there are things for these characters to do, and they're big, important things, the stakes are very high. Whether you found that plot engaging - and you apparently didn't - is, of course, totally subjective. I certainly did.

Quote:
It is an impressive film visually, for sure. There is enough eye candy for that to be enough reason to check the film out, but obviously I think there are additional reasons. I preferred both Captain America and X-Men: First Class this summer, as far as Marvel movies go, but I liked Thor a lot, too.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; October 16th, 2011 at 11:37 pm.
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:35 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) -- 9/10 -- Saw part of this movie a while back and finally saw the end of it today. Was worth the watch. And still just as timely today as it was when it was first made.

Both Spencer Tracy and Kathrine Hepburn shine in their roles. You can just tell how much they truly loved one another. As for the other actors, they did a good job in their roles too.

I didn't think I'd like the movie as much as I did. It truly showed the differences between generations. How the older generation can forget what it's like to be young, for example.

Overall, it's still worth seeing.

My first ship, Perry Mason and Della Street .

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X-Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old October 22nd, 2011, 3:04 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

The Thing (2011) - 5/10

Pure popcorn entertainment. Decent special effects, although as far as The Thing itself goes, less would have been more.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 3:53 pm
Malum Veneficus

Water for Elephants, 7/10. I recently read the book, so I figured I'd watch the film as well. The adaptation was good, the acting was okay, but not striking. It felt forced and awkward at some points. However, I enjoyed watching Reese Witherspoon's performance - she's really eye-catching. And taking in account that the book was 1st person POV, I'd say that Robert Pattinson did a fine job with body language, conveying the character's emotions very well. My main complain about the film, is the development of the story, it sometimes lingered too long on unimportant scenes, and went on too fast in many plot-related scenes.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 5:53 pm
Seventh Year

Paranormal Activity 3. I went for it alone on a dare, regretted it halfway through the movie. It scared me to bits... glad to be home. I rate it 7/10. Reliable scare fest but follows the same formula of the first two films. (Def scarier than the second one though).

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old October 26th, 2011, 9:52 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Contagion - 5/10

It was ok, realistically scary at places, but very scattered and I felt it tried to do too much at once. Some issues would have benefited from further exploration at the expense of others.

Old October 27th, 2011, 6:28 pm
Seventh Year

I watched Disney's newest Winnie the Pooh last night.

If you love or grew up with Pooh and the gang. you won't be disappointed. The movie follows type, the characters haven't changed, the voices are spot on. It has some truly adorable and endearing moments. I really don't like Zooey Deschanel, but even her singing seems to work in the film.

If you're a Pooh fan or have young children, it's a must-see. Based on the genre - 8/10

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown

owlcat207 - first batch - Proud Member of the House of the Dancing Cupcakes
Old October 28th, 2011, 7:57 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Crazy, Stupid, Love - 6.5/10

That was much better than I expected. I especially like the comedic layer, Steve Carrell's charming and powerful screen presence, and Kevin Bacon's cameo.

It could have done without the ending though - I thought the purposefully farcial scene where all stories converge in a literal bundle when the four men fall on the ground in a tangle was a sufficient and brilliant ending. The rest of the film seems tacked-on, in my opinion.

I also take issue with the takeaway lesson of "never give up" on the woman you've picked. In the real world, that's harassment. And grand romantic gestures are usually just a poor substitute for the daily respect and involvement any serious relationship between equals requires.

Old October 28th, 2011, 6:11 pm
Sixth Year

Johnny English Reborn - 8.5/10

A lot of fun, witty and genuinely funny. Could have been overdone, but the cast pulls it off with aplomb. And I like English humour.

Old October 29th, 2011, 11:31 am
Secret Keeper

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset- 90

That's 2 movies, not 1 but they flow really well together and it's one story really so I figure they should be rated together. A friend at the dance studio recommended Before Sunrise and I'm glad she did. I was so impressed with it I watched the sequel immediately after, which was perhaps even better and I'm not surprised the script was Oscar nominated. The best aspect though was the acting...or rather lack of acting. I mean the interaction between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy felt so real. Now the situations are perhaps a bit romanticized (ie meeting a panhandling poet as you're walking by a canal in Vienna at night) and it's mostly talk but I was so engaged by the story. It might even inspire me to look at life different...to do something crazy like ask a girl I meet on a train to spend the day with me, who knows?

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 29th, 2011 at 11:52 am.
Old November 1st, 2011, 10:25 pm
First Year

I recently watched the movie "Hanna" with Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, and Cate Blanchett. I really loved it! The plot was really good and all of the actors did a great job. I was kind of mad at the end when
Erik Heller (Hanna's dad) got shot by Marissa because then what is Hanna going to do now?? She's never lived in society!

Also, I really liked the music throughout the movie--it felt really cool and added to the action sequences.

sig by DarkLord7

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
~Sirius Black

Pottermore:
CauldronPixie6904
Hufflepuff
Wand-black walnut, phoenix feather core, 10 3/4 inches, hard flexibility
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion