Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part Two [incl. SPOILERS]

View Poll Results: What would you like to see in a sneak peek/teaser of the movie?
Part of the duel between Voldemort and Harry 24 28.92%
Neville and Nagini 19 22.89%
Harry and Dumbledore at King's Cross 18 21.69%
The duel between Molly and Bellatrix 28 33.73%
Part of the Prince's Tale 32 38.55%
other (explain in the thread) 16 19.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4th, 2011, 11:53 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part Two [incl. SPOILERS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
In-fact we can even zoom into Harry's famous scar as it's made, echoing the segue to the titles in the first film.
I thought of this too. It would be amazing.

With the Godrics Hollow flashback, I picture the opening of DH2 very similar to the opening of HBP (Harry and Dumbledore at the Ministry) in terms of tone/mood.

Proud Ravenclaw!

*No idea who made my avatar, but credit goes to whoever out there on the internet made it!
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:16 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I'm a supporter of opening part two with a Godric's Hollow flashback. Shall we call ourselves the SOGHS? Supporters of Opening Part 2 with Godric's Hollow Society.
I'll join the SOGHS!

And nicholasmanning, yes, the film would still be ok without it, but I personally am hoping for an artistic opening to the last film instead of just starting at Shell Cottage. I feel the weakest openings to the HP film are ones that go straight into the story (CoS for example). I love openings that convey emotion rather than story (e.g. HBP and DH1 - note they are both Yates films!).

Personally, I think that the Godric's Hollow scene is the best way to 'artistically' open the film.

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:22 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post

And nicholasmanning, yes, the film would still be ok without it, but I personally am hoping for an artistic opening to the last film instead of just starting at Shell Cottage. I feel the weakest openings to the HP film are ones that go straight into the story (CoS for example). I love openings that convey emotion rather than story (e.g. HBP and DH1 - note they are both Yates films!).

Personally, I think that the Godric's Hollow scene is the best way to 'artistically' open the film.
Agreed. They need to try to top Deathly Hallows Part 1 opening, which IMO was the best opening in the movies. I really hope they follow it up with one that is just as good or even better. Godric's Hollow would do that.

Old February 5th, 2011, 1:20 am
First Year

I really like the idea of the Godric's Hollow flashback (I loved the idea given by MasterOfDeath) so Im joining the SOGHS!
I think it makes a lot of sense and non-readers will understand everything better.

Last edited by horcrux_7; February 5th, 2011 at 1:23 am.
Old February 5th, 2011, 2:59 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
It's possible the mirror will be explained in some way and it may be different from the books... still I have a feeling they will deal with it.

It's still possible that the trio will figure out the connection between all the horcruxes and why Voldemort chose them.

However, I think that the Godric's Hollow flashback is more important than the horcrux back story if they leave other elements in. It's important to Harry, Snape, and Voldemort if we're talking about characters. It's also important in that Harry duplicates his mother's sacrifice by choosing to let Voldemort kill him, and as a result everyone else in the WW is protected by Harry's sacrifice. The reason he was protected and became the boy who lived was because Lily was given a choice to stand aside and she did not. She made the choice to sacrifice herself for her son. This is not yet known in the films... nor is the reason she was given the chance to live, obviously because the latter is revealed towards the end of DH.
I have a feeling this level of symbolism won't be emphasized by WB. My guess is it will be much more straight forward minus the meat of the issue.

Old February 5th, 2011, 4:31 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
I have a feeling this level of symbolism won't be emphasized by WB. My guess is it will be much more straight forward minus the meat of the issue.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's cut out or if the other stuff that connects to it is cut out... however, if those other elements stay in then it would benefit the story if the flashback was included.

I would also just like it to be included. I think it would be a very powerful and chilling scene.

Old February 5th, 2011, 9:30 am
First Year

I agree about setting up a nice opening being important and that maybe Chamber of Secrets didn't hit the mark with that (despite it being one of my favourites overall). Although, they couldn't really have started that film with anything else I don't think.
Deathly Hallows Part 1 really succeeded with its opening I think, and it seems Yates isn't a fan of 'jumping straight into the story'. However, this is Part 2 so maybe he will jump right in. Let's hope not - they need to set the mood again and the flashback would be the perfect way of doing so without disrupting the flow of the story. A bit of PS footage could creep in, but we could see more of how it happens - Voldemort walking to the house and killing both James and Lily. Obviously extending the footage may not be possible because the baby used to play Harry (one of the Saunders triplets I imagine) in that scene would now be at least 10. I suppose I'd be happy if they showed exactly the same as they did in PS - it'd still set the mood for the film.
So, I'd love it to start with the flashback but if they do I hope it doesn't cause a continuity error with the first film - that would be very frustrating. Two different versions of their death (a very important scene) just wouldn't be right.

Old February 5th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I agree about setting up a nice opening being important and that maybe Chamber of Secrets didn't hit the mark with that (despite it being one of my favourites overall). Although, they couldn't really have started that film with anything else I don't think.
Deathly Hallows Part 1 really succeeded with its opening I think, and it seems Yates isn't a fan of 'jumping straight into the story'. However, this is Part 2 so maybe he will jump right in. Let's hope not - they need to set the mood again and the flashback would be the perfect way of doing so without disrupting the flow of the story. A bit of PS footage could creep in, but we could see more of how it happens - Voldemort walking to the house and killing both James and Lily. Obviously extending the footage may not be possible because the baby used to play Harry (one of the Saunders triplets I imagine) in that scene would now be at least 10. I suppose I'd be happy if they showed exactly the same as they did in PS - it'd still set the mood for the film.
So, I'd love it to start with the flashback but if they do I hope it doesn't cause a continuity error with the first film - that would be very frustrating. Two different versions of their death (a very important scene) just wouldn't be right.
I agree that they should start the movie with this flashback, but i would be happy if they remade the scene from the PS movie. That scene was so brief, and Voldemort looked kind of short in my opinion They could use some of that footage though and just add some scenes with Voldemorts face etc.

"The stories we love best, do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by
the big screen, Hogwarts will allways be there to welcome you home"

- JK Rowling
Old February 5th, 2011, 3:09 pm
First Year

I do not want that DH2 starts with the Potterīs flashback. At the end DH1 and DH2 are the same movie so if someone want to make only one movie, How will he edit them if after Voldemortīs scene the Potterīs flashback appear from nowhere?

But I like the idea that it will work very well in TPT.

Many of HPF know that I made some script excerpts of DH2, Do you want to read them?

EDIT: Well, after reading the ideas, I change my opinion: It will be great that appear as an introduction and that "another part" appear at TPT.

Last edited by TheBestWizard; February 5th, 2011 at 4:20 pm.
Old February 5th, 2011, 3:24 pm
Banned

yeah i think we can wait a month for a trailer w/o reading fake **

Old February 5th, 2011, 3:26 pm
Registered Animagus

Well they could make it work by having it be a flash memory that Harry has seen through Voldemort's mind. Then like someone else said they could show Harry's scar and then go to Shell Cottage.

Old February 5th, 2011, 3:33 pm
Second Year

Totally a member of SOGHS. Like someone else said, I think, it would be kind of like that opening scene in Return of the King. A great way to draw the audience in and refresh their memories.
Are we talking about an extended version of the one in PS, or a new scene entirely, with different actors?

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old February 5th, 2011, 3:34 pm
Second Year

Right. I can imagine Voldemort reflecting on the memory after he has the Elder Wand because he will be thinking about how it will make him invincible at last.

Old February 5th, 2011, 3:40 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
Totally a member of SOGHS. Like someone else said, I think, it would be kind of like that opening scene in Return of the King. A great way to draw the audience in and refresh their memories.
Are we talking about an extended version of the one in PS, or a new scene entirely, with different actors?
The actors for James and Lily have always been the same. It could be an extended version, or a totally new one. But either I would love some continuity with the same shot of Baby Harry in the crib.

Old February 5th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Sixth Year

Often people are bothered that a scene didn't take place or that unnecessary time was spent on a scene they didn't care for and could have been substituted with a more desirable one. Having a 2 or 3 minute flashback scene will be 2 or 3 minutes instead of something else.

Old February 5th, 2011, 5:22 pm
Fifth Year

I hope it's an entirely new flashback. I wouldn't mind it if they sort of mixed in some of the old shots from PS with a new scene filmed though.

I don't even think it needs to be a vision Harry or Voldemort is having either. I think it could just be there. WB Logo, Godric's Hollow scene, HPDH2 logo.

I'm not worried about the whole "it's one movie in 2 parts so it should start at Shell Cottage" arguement. I've personally always thought they should've tried to make each part stand on their own a bit more.

Proud Ravenclaw!

*No idea who made my avatar, but credit goes to whoever out there on the internet made it!
Old February 5th, 2011, 5:38 pm
First Year

Since we are speaking about the openings of the films (and I, by the way completely agree that Godric's Hollow would be such a fitting way to open DH2), I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were regarding the end of the Movie. I personally would love to see the camera slowly panning out of King's Cross (as the Hogwarts Express departs) with Hedwigs Theme playing. I imagine the screen fading to black, and then we are given Hedwigs Theme in it's entirety to play us into the credits.

I think that would be such a beautiful way to end the series.

Old February 5th, 2011, 6:12 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBestWizard View Post
I do not want that DH2 starts with the Potterīs flashback. At the end DH1 and DH2 are the same movie so if someone want to make only one movie, How will he edit them if after Voldemortīs scene the Potterīs flashback appear from nowhere?

But I like the idea that it will work very well in TPT.

Many of HPF know that I made some script excerpts of DH2, Do you want to read them?

EDIT: Well, after reading the ideas, I change my opinion: It will be great that appear as an introduction and that "another part" appear at TPT.

Yates and Heyman have said many times that DH2 will look very different from part 1, with different style and direction (part 1 emphasizing the trio and the journey, while part 2 is more of a large-scale war movie). Yates want all of his HP films to look and feel different from each other (like how HBP is different from OOTP and DH1 is different from the previous 2). Even with no Godric's Hollow flashback, the 2 films wouldn't fit well if you combine them together anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
Since we are speaking about the openings of the films (and I, by the way completely agree that Godric's Hollow would be such a fitting way to open DH2), I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were regarding the end of the Movie. I personally would love to see the camera slowly panning out of King's Cross (as the Hogwarts Express departs) with Hedwigs Theme playing. I imagine the screen fading to black, and then we are given Hedwigs Theme in it's entirety to play us into the credits.

I think that would be such a beautiful way to end the series.
There was an idea going around about the ending shot being the train arriving at Hogwarts, then we see the castle, fully reconstructed after the war, as the final shot of the film. I love the idea personally.

Last edited by ThaiHPFan; February 5th, 2011 at 6:19 pm.
Old February 5th, 2011, 6:21 pm
First Year

I know same, I only started reading all their books after No. 6 and if i han't read them, No. 7 would have been so confusing in the way that the mirror just appears out of no where, I also hope they explain how he knew where one of the horcruxes were, have you read the books yourself? i don't want to explain in detail what I'm wondering unless you have

Old February 5th, 2011, 8:06 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Often people are bothered that a scene didn't take place or that unnecessary time was spent on a scene they didn't care for and could have been substituted with a more desirable one. Having a 2 or 3 minute flashback scene will be 2 or 3 minutes instead of something else.
No it wouldn't

The film makers don't sit down and say that the film must be 146 minutes and 34 seconds! They just want it to be between 140 and 160 minutes. If they had a 2 minute scene and didn't think it'd work, they'd just remove it - they wouldn't go "We just got rid of 1 minute and 58 seconds, how can we add that back to the film?"

I find it odd that so many people say "they should have got rid of that and put that in instead" cos that's not how film making works.

(If it was for TV though, when they do have to have quite a specific runtime, then that'd be the case)

A true - CoS and Pottermore!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References