Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Romantic moments & that scene in Deathly Hallows

Old November 29th, 2010, 1:31 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1: Romantic moments & that scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I think that we cannot trust in general Harry Potter fans who do not want to see anything romantic between Harry and Hermione. I think that the reaction of the midnight showers who were almost all in their early twenties is a much better judge of what was happening in that scene. I just cannot agree and do not think it is open to interpretation. I think there was tension as there was meant to be, but i am willing to agree to disagree on the matter.
I'm in my early twenties, but then again, I'm a fan too. I don't, however, ship. The point of my discussing my niece and her friend wasn't to push "fandemonium shipping" status, but rather point out their pubescent hormone riddled take on the scene and their take, along with the rest of the people of all ages laughing hysterically at Dan's dance skillz trying to entertain Hermione, was zero tension/chemistry. BTW, the best friend does ship: Pinkpuppies? Is that even a ship? I dunno.

Basically, then, according to what you posted "we cannot trust in general Harry Potter fans" comes across as "we can trust zero fans of HP as to understand that part of the film, or voice their own opinion based on that scene, irrespective of shipping" and while I respect your opinion I totally, totally disagree with it.

I'm aware of what the actors have had to say on the issue, was aware of the dance scene before I took us all to see the film, but I truly feel the directors failed to convey what their real intent was.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2010, 1:33 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin6 View Post
I don't everything is open to interpretation in books and movies. In fact I think JKR in the books, does a great job, in terms of the couples, of not leaving it open to interpretation.
Oh, You misunderstood me.. Sorry.. When I say that I think everything is open to interpretation I mean that every person can see whatecer she/he wants to see.
Sorry, English is not my first language and I feel I'm getting lost in my own words!

Old November 29th, 2010, 1:39 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Suki View Post
I'm in my early twenties, but then again, I'm a fan too. I don't, however, ship. The point of my discussing my niece and her friend wasn't to push "fandemonium shipping" status, but rather point out their pubescent hormone riddled take on the scene and their take, along with the rest of the people of all ages laughing hysterically at Dan's dance skillz trying to entertain Hermione, was zero tension/chemistry. BTW, the best friend does ship: Pinkpuppies? Is that even a ship? I dunno.

Basically, then, according to what you posted "we cannot trust in general Harry Potter fans" comes across as "we can trust zero fans of HP as to understand that part of the film, or voice their own opinion based on that scene, irrespective of shipping" and while I respect your opinion I totally, totally disagree with it.

I'm aware of what the actors have had to say on the issue, was aware of the dance scene before I took us all to see the film, but I truly feel the directors failed to convey what their real intent was.
Well i don't "ship" either. I don't even particularly know what that means. I am just saying when you know who is going to end up with whom that takes away some of the objectivity when watching a scene. I also think the hormone driven twenty years are much more able to understand and interpret sexual tension then thirteen year olds. Not that there is anything wrong with being thirteen. We all were at one time or another. It is just a different perspective just as being a Harry Potter fan is a different perspective.

Also the dancing was not what i saw as sexual tension it was before that. When Harry sat on the camp chair and looked at Hermione. Then when he held out his hand and pulled her up and took off the locket and pulled her towards the dance floor. That was sexual tension. The dancing was dorky which ended in holding and i think a moment at the end where Harry looked at her, but Hermione did not she just walked away. I think it was much more on Harry's end then on Hermione's and like i said i blame the locket.

PS. Please understand that i also respect your opinion and your right to voice it. I just disagree.

Last edited by decarus; November 29th, 2010 at 1:53 am.
Old November 29th, 2010, 1:45 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I don't everything is open to interpretation in books and movies. In fact I think JKR in the books, does a great job, in terms of the couples, of not leaving it open to interpretation.
No, everything is not open to interpretation, but I feel this scene certainly is. I think this scene, more so than anything.

Considering the hype it's caused and leading to 3 leading main opinions/factions: people who think it's romantic and/or has sexual tension, platonic, or just don't care - I'd think it'd be wrong to say this scene is not open to interpretation since there are people who have interpreted it differently.

Whether it was or wasn't meant for open interpretation is besides the fact since different interpretations have come from it, regardless of intentions

And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Don't Britta it. Watch Community on NBC

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 29th, 2010, 1:45 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Quote:
PS. Please understand that i also respect your opinion and your right to voice it. I just disagree.
No worries decarus!

Actually, I guess what I was trying to get at is that despite what the director intended, the bit in the film was just way to subtle to register. For myself and by my two teen gigglebots. In fact, they were heard to say "sexy" at the H/HR horcrux kiss. So that totally registered.

Er...I do have a confession though. Last April Fool's I may have actually...*cough*...engaged in a silly bit of fan shipping, one totally not ever established in the books and only as a gag. Gag, now there's a perfect descriptive word for that particular ship: "Jape" ... which I still have in my location status in homage to its horribleness.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old November 29th, 2010, 1:59 am
Third Year

Quote:
Actually, she doesn't announce that in the film...though she tries to tell Harry something at #4, it's immediately shushed up and then the 7 Potters take center stage.

As for the book, was she pregnant at the time? They were just announcing their marriage at Privet Drive near the end of July and it wasn't until September at Grimmauld Place that we learn she's pregnant. I suppose it's possible though, I think Teddy was born in April right after Easter holidays. {Because Ginny was safe at home instead of at Hogwarts when the Trio escaped Malfoy Manor, and Bill & Arthur were able to get everyone safely away from the Burrow and into hiding at Auntie Muriel's...then came Remus announcing news of Teddy's birth.} That's approximately 9 months from when Harry left Privet Drive.
Yes, you are right. She didn't announce it in the film. I think it's just because I know she becomes pregnant in the book, I took for granted that that was her announcement, lol. I'm jumping to conclusions. I guess technically she could have been trying to tell Harry anything. She could have just wanted to say her and Remus bought a new house, lol.
Or maybe it was supposed to be an announcement that they had gotten married? Had that been announced yet in the films?

Ok, I do hope her announcement was something else then, and not that she was pregnant, lol.

As for the book, I'll trust your timeline because I certainly can't remember, lol.

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:01 am
Fifth Year

Well, she said something like "my husband, always the joker" before she started saying they had good news. I thought it was pretty obvious to anyone who knows she gets pregnant that she was about to announce such.

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:02 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I agree, people totally see what they want to see. We know what Dan's said in an interview, to me that says the filmmaker's wanted something there, I honestly just don't see that they got what they wanted. Not by my POV or the POV of two teen girls either.

I saw nothing to that scene. I went with two 13 year old Potter fans, my niece and her best friend, and neither picked up on any tension either. They just saw Harry acting goofy trying to cheer up the very depressed Hermione.
My impression is the same as yours and your niece & friend. My thought is that Harry simply wanted to at least momentarily distract Hermione from her sadness, which worked but only for those moments. Granted, I'm an avid HP book reader, but still, I think anyone who was paying attention to the Harry/Ginny kiss in the film should have been able to figure out that's where Harry's real interests lie, and correctly interpret the dance scene.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old November 29th, 2010, 2:02 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
No, everything is not open to interpretation, but I feel this scene certainly is. I think this scene, more so than anything.

Considering the hype it's caused and leading to 3 leading main opinions/factions: people who think it's romantic and/or has sexual tension, platonic, or just don't care - I'd think it'd be wrong to say this scene is not open to interpretation since there are people who have interpreted it differently.

Whether it was or wasn't meant for open interpretation is besides the fact since different interpretations have come from it, regardless of intentions
I do agree that this scene is open to interpretation.

Quote:
I think anyone who was paying attention to the Harry/Ginny kiss in the film should have been able to figure out that's where Harry's real interests lie, and correctly interpret the dance scene

I don't necessarily agree with this. Harry kisses her and then she's not mentioned by him for the rest of the movie, so I think it would be very easy for those who haven't read the books to think well maybe he does like Hermione without even thinking about Ginny.

Last edited by Erin6; November 29th, 2010 at 2:06 am.
Old November 29th, 2010, 2:08 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
My impression is the same as yours and your niece & friend. My thought is that Harry simply wanted to at least momentarily distract Hermione from her sadness, which worked but only for those moments. Granted, I'm an avid HP book reader, but still, I think anyone who was paying attention to the Harry/Ginny kiss in the film should have been able to figure out that's where Harry's real interests lie, and correctly interpret the dance scene.
Correctly interpret as in that there was sexual tension caused by the locket between Harry and Hermione in the dance scene in my opinion. They don't really like each other in that way, but they were on their own and the locket was playing with their heads.

I do think that it is clear in the films that Hermione likes Ron, but it is less clear that Harry wants to be with Ginny.

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:11 am
Third Year

Quote:
Correctly interpret as in that there was sexual tension caused by the locket between Harry and Hermione in the dance scene in my opinion. They don't really like each other in that way, but they were on their own and the locket was playing with their heads.

I do think that it is clear in the films that Hermione likes Ron, but it is less clear that Harry wants to be with Ginny.
I don't think anything was created by the locket. Especially since Harry wasn't wearing it and he then took it off her. I don't think the locket would make Harry want Hermione in that way. That's just not how it worked, at least in the book, and nothing like that was implied in the movie.

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:13 am
First Year

Quote:
I have read few people saying this - that the locket might have been playing with their heads and created this sexual tension. I just have to ask, why? What does the locket gain from their being sexual tension b/w Harry and Hermione. I understand what it gains from making Ron jealous with this supposed tension, but after Ron leaves, as far as the locket knows, he's not coming back and that's it. Why would it want to have something going on between Harry and Hermione at that point? Wouldn't it make them stronger and happier if they did end up getting together after Ron left? Sorry, I'm just confused, and I'd appreciate if someone could explain why the locket would mess with their heads like this. (Unless Voldemort is a secret Harry/Hermione shipper! Lol)

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:20 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly_artemis View Post
I have read few people saying this - that the locket might have been playing with their heads and created this sexual tension. I just have to ask, why? What does the locket gain from their being sexual tension b/w Harry and Hermione. I understand what it gains from making Ron jealous with this supposed tension, but after Ron leaves, as far as the locket knows, he's not coming back and that's it. Why would it want to have something going on between Harry and Hermione at that point? Wouldn't it make them stronger and happier if they did end up getting together after Ron left? Sorry, I'm just confused, and I'd appreciate if someone could explain why the locket would mess with their heads like this. (Unless Voldemort is a secret Harry/Hermione shipper! Lol)
The locket doesn't make people want each other or think about other people romantically. It plays on their insecurities and makes them feel very negative about everything. The locket didn't even have a huge effect on Harry and Hermione. Ron was the one it effected the most, so I don't see how the locket caused the sexual tension at all. Especially since Harry wasn't wearing it, and he took it off Hermione. Nothing about the locket was implied or said in the movie that would be an explanation for that dance.

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:22 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:

Neither Hermione nor Harry was wearing the locket in that scene. Hermione was the last to wear it, but it had the least effect on her of any of them.

I also think the film clearly shows the relationship between Harry & Ginny has deepened since HBP (where Ginny runs to help Harry with nary a thought for her own life & limb). They're very comfortable with each other, no awkwardness, and their kiss has the ease & intimacy of an ongoing relationship.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old November 29th, 2010, 2:24 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Neither Hermione nor Harry was wearing the locket in that scene. Hermione was the last to wear it, but it had the least effect on her of any of them.

I also think the film clearly shows the relationship between Harry & Ginny has deepened since HBP (where Ginny runs to help Harry with nary a thought for her own life & limb). They're very comfortable with each other, no awkwardness, and their kiss has the ease & intimacy of an ongoing relationship.
I think Harry and Ginny were still as awkward as ever. I didn't see any progression with them at all.

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:25 am
Registered Animagus

What i am saying is that the locket could effect them in such a way as they both believe that they will never be with the person they really want and so they give up. I don't think either of them would have been happy about it after if something had happened between the two of them because they are both in love with other people. I think if something would have happened between Harry and Hermione then it would have ruined their friendship completely.

Quote:
I think Harry and Ginny were still as awkward as ever. I didn't see any progression with them at all.
I agree. I also think anyone who has only watched the films would think that Harry was attracted to Ginny, but not that she was the one that he would end up with. I do think it is clear in the films that Ron and Hermione are going to end up together, but Harry and Ginny have never even had a conversation about their feelings or anything.

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I liked the dance. To me, it was a way for Harry to cheer up Hermione. I saw it like Harry was her big brother and he just wanted to cheer her up.

Old November 29th, 2010, 2:28 am
Third Year

Quote:
What i am saying is that the locket could effect them in such a way as they both believe that they will never be with the person they really want and so they give up. I don't think either of them would have been happy about it after if something had happened between the two of them because they are both in love with other people. I think if something would have happened between Harry and Hermione then it would have ruined their friendship completely.

I agree. I also think anyone who has only watched the films would think that Harry was attracted to Ginny, but not that she was the one that he would end up with. I do think it is clear in the films that Ron and Hermione are going to end up together, but Harry and Ginny have never even had a conversation about their feelings or anything.
They weren't wearing the locket though during the dance, and Hermione was very hesitant to dance with Harry even while wearing the locket. I just don't think it had anything to do with it.

Maybe Harry and Ginny will be done a little better in part 2, but if I hadn't read the books, I would be kind of shocked that he ended up with her in the epilogue.

Old November 29th, 2010, 3:21 am
Second Year

On the topic of Tonks' pregnancy, I saw the film for a second time on Thanksgiving morning, and she clearly refers to Remus as her husband, calling him a joker after he reminds Fleur that Bill takes his steaks raw. She's also clearly about to announce that she's pregnant, but Moody cuts her off.

Addressing PotterGurl's comments re: Tonks, it's actually completely in character for her to want to participate in the Seven Potters mission regardless of whether or not she was pregnant; also, the way she starts to announce her pregnancy gives the implication that it (the pregnancy) is a fairly recent development.

Old November 29th, 2010, 3:35 am
Second Year

Yeah, as bad as Harry and Ginny is, it's still better than Hermoine and Ron, imo. I just don't see it, never have. I dread the upcoming scene in DH2, I'll just have to block it out of my mind. Dan, as awkward as he is, was at least trying; much more than I can say for Rupert who just sits there with a silly look on his face.

But all this talk about shippers, love triangle and romance really distract from the movie and I believe it would have been better not to show any of that at all (esp. in HBP). More horcruxes, more supporting actors, less snogging and less dancing, imo.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References