Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Romantic moments & that scene in Deathly Hallows

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Second Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1: Romantic moments & that scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin6 View Post
I disagree. Harry is absolutely trying to seduce her IMO. At least at the beginning and at the end.
You mean when he takes the locket off her? Nah, he knows it has a negative effect on her, so he takes it off her. Come on, we know perfectly well that Harry loves Ginny and Hermione loves Ron. The scene on the staircase in HBP makes that perfectly clear, as well as how Harry and Hermione feel about each other.

Last edited by StaceysChain; November 26th, 2010 at 10:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:15 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceysChain View Post
You mean when he takes the locket off her? Nah, he knows it has a negative effect on her, so he takes it off her. Come on, we know perfectly well that Harry loves Ginny and Hermione loves Ron. The scene on the staircase in HBP makes that perfectly clear, as well as Harry and Hermione's feelings towards each other do.
The way he takes it off her is very seductive. I also have zero problems with Hermione in this scene. I also don't know for sure that Harry does love Ginny. I know in the books that he loves her, but he doesn't think about her one bit after the wedding in the movie. He acts like he's totally forgotten about her.

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_elf View Post
Are you referring to the glance-back at the Burrow? I thought that that 'glance-back' was Hermione checking to see which was the real Harry. Once she realised the one behind her was the real one, she felt comfortable enough to run and hug RonHarry. Very telling I think!
No, I understand what that look is! I was saying I don't see an issue with it, but I know some very fervent R/Hr shippers thought it looked like a moment of indecision, which I think is ridiculous.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
No, I understand what that look is! I was saying I don't see an issue with it, but I know some very fervent R/Hr shippers thought it looked like a moment of indecision, which I think is ridiculous.
I think that may be over-interpretation in their behalf.

I think some people are now trying way too hard to find these "romantic" looks and such to confirm their beliefs that Harry has some secret thing for Hermione in the films

And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Don't Britta it. Watch Community on NBC

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Oh yes, don't worry I knew you knew. I was indirectly referring to your reference to those who didn't like it. If that makes sense...I likewise think it's silly!

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:35 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_elf View Post
Oh yes, don't worry I knew you knew. I was indirectly referring to your reference to those who didn't like it. If that makes sense...I likewise think it's silly!
I do wonder if the dance wasn't so open to interpretation if that little glance during the 7 potters would have even been noticed.

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:37 pm
Third Year

This will be fun. My older brother is accompanying me to the movie tonight. He has never seen another Harry Potter film. All he knows is "Voldemort is bad, Dumbledore is dead, and Harry doesn't have a family." This should be interesting....

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:
The way he takes it off her is very seductive. I also have zero problems with Hermione in this scene. I also don't know for sure that Harry does love Ginny. I know in the books that he loves her, but he doesn't think about her one bit after the wedding in the movie. He acts like he's totally forgotten about her.
Well the books are told from Harry's point of view aren't they. And for all we know there could be a deleted scene where Harry looks at Ginny's dot on the map etc. Anyway the H/G kiss before the wedding shows that Harry loves Ginny and look at HBP. There are plenty of scenes that show us Harry loves Ginny. An example: The staircase scene with Hermione. I doubt he's forgetten about her, but the horcruxes are his main focus like it was in the book. Unlike the book, the film just doesn't have time to focus on Harry's feeling for Ginny but they don't need too, because HBP and the kiss at the wedding already established their relationship and their feelings.

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I don't know if I would go as far to say that Harry is a creep, but this dance did not portray him in a good light IMO and it certainly made me look at him differently.
He sounds like a disgusting creep the way the scene has been described to me. I really can see it no other way. I'm dying to finally watch the film to know if I should just end my interest in this movie series or not. I really don't like them so I don't know why I continue to punish myself just because I'm a fan of the books. I've been turned off for a while and moved on but this would literally be the last straw in a movie series that has been consistently disappointing since PoA. I see no need to continue wasting my money on movies that completely spoil the magic of the books for me personally. I know it's late in the day but better late than never. It's not like my $10 is going to hurt anything.

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Third Year

THIS is my INTERPRETATION for the dance scene:

Harry is grateful with Hermione because she did not leave, even if Ron asked her to. He knows she is sad. So, he wants to cheer her up, he takes the horcrux from her, so that wont ruin their only light hearted moment from all the sadness and depression is going on. At first is intense (the way he looks at her, the way he takes her the horcrux) then he starts to dance... and its goofy.. (the three times I went to the theaters, these three times the audience laughed) at first it misleads you, then it makes you laugh. He only wants to cheer his friend, even if he is a terrible dancer. Then IN THE END, he is misleaded, he sort of likes being with her, but Hermione doesnt . I think it is appropiate it, I mean two teenagers being ALONE for weeks, you kinda want some company. I think it makes it a bit more realistic. After that scene, they move on.

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:58 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold View Post
He sounds like a disgusting creep the way the scene has been described to me. I really can see it no other way. I'm dying to finally watch the film to know if I should just end my interest in this movie series or not. I really don't like them so I don't know why I continue to punish myself just because I'm a fan of the books. I've been turned off for a while and moved on but this would literally be the last straw in a movie series that has been consistently disappointing since PoA. I see no need to continue wasting my money on movies that completely spoil the magic of the books for me personally. I know it's late in the day but better late than never. It's not like my $10 is going to hurt anything.
Please, don't be swayed or biased from what you've read here about this dance scene

And believe me - I had low expectations for this film and never believed that an HP movie would impress me as much as PoA. I was wrong. So believe the majority of us here. This movie is worth watching!

Last edited by magic_is_might; November 26th, 2010 at 11:04 pm.
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:00 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Well the books are told from Harry's point of view aren't they. And for all we know there could be a deleted scene where Harry looks at Ginny's dot on the map etc. Anyway the H/G kiss before the wedding shows that Harry loves Ginny and look at HBP. There are plenty of scenes that show us Harry loves Ginny. An example: The staircase scene with Hermione. I doubt he's forgetten about her, but the horcruxes are his main focus like it was in the book. Unlike the book, the film just doesn't have time to focus on Harry's feeling for Ginny but they don't need too, because HBP and the kiss at the wedding already established their relationship and their feelings.

I just disagree. Yeah they kiss before the wedding, and he runs to her at the wedding, but those scenes are empty for me because he doesn't think about her once during the rest of the movie. They showed Harry looking at Snape's dot on the map, it wouldn't have taken more then a couple seconds to show him looking at Ginny's dot as well. Their relationship is just so poorly executed in these movies for me.

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:23 pm
First Year

Ahhh I do enjoy that this scene has caused such a stir that it has had it's own thread created for it!

I have only seen the movie once (hopefully another two times to come yet!) but I really did not enjoy the dance scene, and I am with Erin6 on this, it looked like Harry was trying to seduce Hermione. You could see that Hermione was having none of it though, and I really liked how loyal she was to Ron, but it looked to be another hurdle for poor Ginny This may not be the way the scene was intended, but to me it was the way it was portrayed. It was also very out of character for Harry who never was able to handle an upset Hermione.

Also, You-Know-When, love it!

As for the glance back at the Burrow when Ron arrives. I did not see it as Hermione trying to decide between Harry and Ron, I thought it was just her taking a moment to realise that it was Ron who was back as they all looked like Harry. It was a great moment for R/Hr

Quote:
This will be fun. My older brother is accompanying me to the movie tonight. He has never seen another Harry Potter film. All he knows is "Voldemort is bad, Dumbledore is dead, and Harry doesn't have a family." This should be interesting....
Hahaha yeah, I'm going with a friend from my work who has NO idea about anything Harry Potter! He's still under the impression that it's a little kid's book and is boring. He made a deal with me, he'd see DH if I saw Twilight: Eclipse with him. I followed through with my end of the deal, so it's his turn now

I also went with another friend from work who's seen all the movies with me but has never read the books, and he said he had no idea that Hermione and Ron liked each other... That's a bit sad to me

R/Hr shipper, forever and always.
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:24 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Their relationship is just so poorly executed in these movies for me.
I sorta agree with you here. For me, I think it's because Daniel and Bonnie don't really have great chemistry . Bonnie during the HBP kiss scene... *cringes*

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:25 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorey1 View Post
i'm sick of hearing about this H/H dance scene now.

so many fans on this post have debated about it, analysed and picked at it, that there are probably enough posts to turn this into a book!

i enjoyed the more subtle hints of romance in this movie far more!

the little looks ron gives hermione, most pointedly when he sees her at the wedding and in the piano scene.
it's clever how rupert used the same 'look' in both these scenes, considering they must have been shot months apart.

that, and i loved emma's look at ron when he got splinched. that bit at the end when she looks at him and you can see the worry and the love on her face. you really see her suffering with him in that scene, rather than just see her get hysterical.

the nearly-hand holding scene was handled really well, although it would have been nice if we could have had a reaction from harry here. i know people complain that harry intterupts their more intimate moments, but this was a scene i think that needed a reaction from harry. this would just add more to the fact that ron and hermione could have been holding hands.

not really impressed with the ginny/harry kiss. again, the romance was a bit lacklustre and bonnie just doesn't play ginny the way i imagine her. she's far more bolshy and strong-willed in the books than she is in the movie, whereas they've watered down her character, especially in the last two films.
I loved the looks Ron gave Hermione at the wedding and in the piano scene. I thought it was perfect. The look was full of love. You could tell Ron loved Hermione in those moments. I also loved at the wedding when they ran to each other when the death eaters came.

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:28 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I sorta agree with you here. For me, I think it's because Daniel and Bonnie don't really have great chemistry . Bonnie during the HBP kiss scene... *cringes*
It could be a chemistry thing, but I think they just aren't interested in that relationship or Ginny at all.

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:37 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, I'd agree. The chemistry just isn't there for Dan and Bonnie.

But to be fair, their romance wasn't exactly well-developed in the books either, IMO.

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:38 pm
Second Year

Quote:
It could be a chemistry thing, but I think they just aren't interested in that relationship or Ginny at all.
Maybe *shrugs*. On a curious note, what's your favourite DH R/Hr movie moment?

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
All of them haha but I'd say either the hug after Ron gets back after the Seven Potter Scene or Ron's speech after he returns and kills the horcrux. That speech really showed just how much he loves her, he made it so believable

R/Hr shipper, forever and always.
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:00 am
First Year

Quote:
My favorite moment was all of them! From the hand-holding to the piano to the cheesy yet perfect speech Ron gave when he returned. But I think if i had to pick one, it would be how Ron was holding Hermione at Malfoy Manor, at the beach, and even when they were burying Dobby at the end. It wasn't because she was too weak so someone needed to support her. He was obviously not letting go because he was finally comfortable enough to openly express his love for her. Oh, and this is not clearly a R/Hr moment, but I like to think it is indirectly. When Ron is disguised as Cattermole, he shows such concern for his "wife" telling her to run away with the kids and stuff...he doesn't even know this lady, but is just playing her husband. This shows that in terms of marriage, Ron is very traditional that takes the role of a "husband" seriously. It makes me feel like I wish I was in Hermione's shoes! Maybe I'm stretching with this being a R/Hr moment - I just remember thinking "awww" at Ron when I saw this in the movie.

So..I have a few thoughts on the lack of proper H/G in this movie. I don't think the lack of chemistry is Bonnie's fault. I think she's doing the best she can with the material the writers gave her, and the lack of response from Dan. I knew H/G was going to go downhill ever since that scene in HBP when her and Dean are kissing in the pub. You get Ron's reaction and how he wants to leave because its his sister, but you never get Harry's! (Which IMO should be much more extreme than Ron's - Ron doesn't want to kiss his sister, but Harry does!) You don't even see the camera zoom in on his face while he looks sad or anything! Only later, does Hermione say something like "how does it feel when you see Ginny and Dean?" I can answer that - it feels like nothing! Because we already saw the lack of Harry's reaction and how he feels nothing.

From then on, we get Ginny feeding Harry, tying his shoelace, kissing him while his eyes are closed, running to comfort him after Dumbledore dies, and asking him to zip up her dress. We do see that Ginny is interested in Harry. Even though since they never showed her breaking up with Dean, it looks like Ginny is going around just seducing guys, the fact remains that she is interested in Harry.

However, there are only two scenes when it seems like Harry is pursuing Ginny - when he stands up when she arrives at Slughorn's party in HBP, and when he tries runs to her at the wedding in DH1. So...I blame the writers/director for not giving Harry any scenes that show his interest in Ginny and I blame Dan a little for not having good facial expressions when he sees Bonnie (which I guess could be the "lack of chemistry"). Dan's clearly a good actor that shines in other types of scenes, so I think if he had proper direction and told to look at Ginny in a certain way, he could definitely deliver. Look at the amazing way Rupert looks at Emma several times in this movie! I could definitely see Dan giving the same kind of look to Bonnie if he's told to.

So mostly, I blame the movie makers for lack of proper H/G.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References