Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Cooking & Recipe Exchange

Recipes for Gluten-free meals

Old February 21st, 2011, 9:00 am
Fourth Year

Recipes for Gluten-free meals

My niece has a gluten intolerance and I'm always looking for recipes. I'd love to make some cupcakes with her or cookies, anything really...

So.. cool and yummie recipes that are fun for a 7 yr old girl and grown-ups are more than welcome.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:17 pm
First Year

Re: Recipes for Gluten-free meals

Bisquick and Betty crocker have gluten free products

Old July 25th, 2011, 6:56 am
Sixth Year

I think you have to relook at what you eat. Bread and pasta go out. Carbs become barley, rice, corn. Soups don't have pasta. Thickening agents can be corn starch.

So, Tacos instead of Burritos. Fried Rice instead of noodle stir fry. Oatmeal and cornmeal for hot cereals and rolls. Search for gluten free products to use as substitutes in regular meals.

Old August 12th, 2011, 2:48 am
First Year

Hi Guys.... I really admire all the posts that you have shared with me . I hope that these might be really informative for me . I have learned a lot form your post .

Old August 12th, 2011, 9:06 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyLipGloss View Post
Bisquick and Betty crocker have gluten free products
Iím afraid these products arenít available where we live.

Quote:
I think you have to relook at what you eat. Bread and pasta go out. Carbs become barley, rice, corn. Soups don't have pasta. Thickening agents can be corn starch.

So, Tacos instead of Burritos. Fried Rice instead of noodle stir fry. Oatmeal and cornmeal for hot cereals and rolls. Search for gluten free products to use as substitutes in regular meals.
I know what she is or isnít allowed to eat. Thatís not the point.

The problem is gluten-free meals, desserts, etc often require specific recipeís and I thought it might be nice to have a place to share them. My sister has told me gluten-free cupcakes taste awful so it would be nice if someone has a recipe of good tasting cupcakes. Or cookies we can make.

Unfortunately itís not that easy to find products that taste good to 7 year old girl.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

Old January 7th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Malum Veneficus

I came across this recipe today but I haven't tried it myself. I hope you find it easy to make and find all its ingredients:

Gluten-free pancakes:

Ingredients

1 cup sweet rice flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups soy yogurt
1/4 cup rice milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

1.Sift the rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the beaten eggs, soy yogurt, rice milk, and oil, and pour into the flour mixture. Stir briefly just to combine.
2.Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto the heated griddle, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until the pancake is golden brown on both sides.

Source

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old January 7th, 2012, 2:31 pm
Fourth Year

Great thanks.. I’ll give it a try... It does look good.

Old January 17th, 2012, 3:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusandme View Post
Iím afraid these products arenít available where we live.

I know what she is or isnít allowed to eat. Thatís not the point.

The problem is gluten-free meals, desserts, etc often require specific recipeís and I thought it might be nice to have a place to share them. My sister has told me gluten-free cupcakes taste awful so it would be nice if someone has a recipe of good tasting cupcakes. Or cookies we can make.

Unfortunately itís not that easy to find products that taste good to 7 year old girl.

I'm sorry. I see your point. I thought you said "meals" not desserts per se.

May I suggest this site for ideas:http://www.glutenfreebaking.com/

I understand how frustrating it can be to not be able to get the products you might needs. Perhaps realizing that might make it more attractive to ordering products online from sources or amazon? I know it's difficult to do. Are gluten free products becoming more common where you are?

Here's one recipe from the site for cookies:

Easy Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
Dry Ingredients
2 cups white rice flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup sweet rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened (If you are dairy-free, shortening works well in this recipe.)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
Coarse or colored sanding sugar, sprinkles, or quins about 1/2 cup

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar, butter, and vanilla, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until well combined.
3. Reduce speed to low and add the dry ingredients. Mix for 45 seconds.
4. Chill dough for 15-20 minutes.
5. Roll dough, about 2 tablespoons each, into a ball. Dip the top of the dough ball into the sanding sugar. (To make this step go faster, I use a cookie scoop.) Place coated dough ball onto prepared baking sheet. Be sure to space cookies about 2 inches apart. Flatten cookies very slightly with the palm of your hand.
6. Bake cookies, about 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
7. Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes on the baking sheet. After 3 minutes, transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Store cookies in an airtight container.

Old January 20th, 2012, 5:46 am
Sixth Year

sirusadme, if you ever come back and check this thread again, here's a link for you:http://http://www.bobsredmill.com/re...rd=gluten+free

Old February 21st, 2012, 2:18 pm
Second Year

There are a lot of suitable recipes in Passover cookbooks. Look for the ones that don't call for matzoh meal or matzah cake flour. There are lots of cookie recipes and some cake recipes that use potato starch instead.

I have an acquaintance who uses a cheesecake recipe thickened with cornstarch for her son who can't eat gluten.

here are a couple recipes from a cookbook I have:

Potato and Yoghurt Treats

3 potatoes
3 onions
30 grams of butter
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 tblsp. potato starch
3 eggs
2 individual containers of yogurt or sour cream = about 1 cup I think. The individual containers here are usually 170 ml. apiece.

Cook the potatoes in their skins about 1/2 hour. in the meantime chop the onions and fry in the butter and sugar until they brown.

Peel and mash the potatoes. mix all the ingedients together. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.

Oil a large muffin pan and heat in a hot oven for ten minutes to ensure easy removal of the finished potato treats.

Fill the muffin tins with the potato mixture. Bake for 40 minutes at a medium heat (350 degrees fahrenheight) or until golden brown.

Chocolate and Whipped Cream Roll
base:
200 bittersweet chocolate
2 tsp. instant coffee
2 tblsp. water
7 eggs - separated
3/4 cup sugar
2 tblsp. cocoa powder

filling:
2 cups sweet cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tblsp. powdered sugar

for decoration: chocolate sprinkles

Preheat the oven to a medium heat. Grease a large flat pan and line with baking paper.
In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and add the coffee and the water. Set aside to cool a bit.
Beat the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar. Add the melted chocolate mixture.
Whip the egg whites until firm, gradually adding 1/4 cup of sugar. Continue beating about 5 minutes more until the whites are very stiff. Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture. Transfer to the lined pan and bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cool. cover with a damp towel to keep it from drying out.

Wip the sweet cream withthe vanilla extract and the powdered sugar. Spread part of it on the base, reserving part to ice the exterior of the cake. Roll it up using the damp towel, and cover with the rest of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with chocolate jimmies and store in the refrigerator.

[b]Banana and Nut Cake[/B

100 grams margarine
1 cup sugar
7 eggs - separated
3 ripe bananas mashed
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup potato flour (potato starch)
3/4 tsp. salt
the juice of one lemon
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Beat the margarine together with the sugar until pale. Add the yolks gradually while beating.
Mash the bananas with the lemon juice. Add the bananas and lemon juice, nuts, potato flour and salt. Whip the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the banana mixture. Add the chocolate chips last, or sprinkle them on top after filling the cake tins with the batter. Use one or two loaf pans (depending on size) Bake at medium heat (170 degrees celsius) for about 50 minutes.

Almond Drop Cookies
1 1/2 cupa whole blanched almonds (or whatever other nuts you prefer)
2 egg whites
dash of salt
3/4 cup sugar

Grind nuts finely in grinder or blender. Beat the egg whites with salt until foamy. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Continue to beat until a peak forms when the beater is lifted slowly. Fold in ground nuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls on well greased cookie sheets. Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F) 15 minutes or until lightly browned. remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks. Makes about 3 dozen.

Lacy Wafers
These wafers are very thin and lacy. handle with care.
1/2 cup finely ground blanched almonds or other nuts
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. potato starch
1 cup melted butter or margarine
1 tblsp. milk or water
Use fine blade of a food grinder or a blender to grind the almonds / nuts
Combine them with the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Grease cookie sheets generously. Sprinkle with potato starch.
Drop by 1/2 teaspoonfuls onto the cookie sheets about 3 inches apart. They will spread!
Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F or 170 degrees C) 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on pan about one minute and then carefully remove with a wide spatula to wire racks. makes about 2 dozen.

As far as flavouring things to taste good to a seven year old goes, you can use most of the same flavorings you are used to using in similar proportions to flavour either gluten free cookies or cakes. Have you tried making crustless pies, custards or puddings, or other desserts like Jello or Ice Cream? Whenever I make Pumpkin Pie my family usually leaves the crust, so I started making it crustless.

Jewish families have been making flourless delicacies for Passover for ages. The stricter ones won't use matzoh meal (made from ground up matzahs which are usually made from wheat flour) in cakes so there are plenty of well established tested recipes out there for wheat free cakes and cookies. And fresh potato starch is available in most areas with a Jewish population around March / April. You might find Corn starch more to your liking. It works about the same in recipes as the potato starch.

Last edited by Quickquill; February 21st, 2012 at 2:43 pm.
Old March 25th, 2012, 2:09 pm
Inconceivable!

I make these gluten-free brownies frequently, most often when there is a birthday to celebrate at work. The best thing about the recipe is the fact that you don't have to buy any special flour. And they are delicious and don't taste gluten-free. The people at work love them.

Fudgy Gluten-free Brownies

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips or dark chocolate pieces (see my note about chocolate)
1/2 cup macadamia nuts (optional) (I use walnuts or pecans)

Instructions

1 - Preheat oven to 350 F. and lightly grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan.

2 - In a saucepan over a low heat, melt butter and add cocoa powder. Whisk.

3 - Mix the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla into the butter/cocoa mixture.

4 - Add the cornstarch and salt and mix well.

5 - Stir in chocolate chips or dark chocolate pieces.

6 - Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Your brownies are done when a toothpick stuck into the center of the pan comes out clean.

7 - Allow the brownies ample time to cool and set before serving.

Note:
I have played with different chocolates while perfecting this recipe, and have settled on using the combination below for my one cup of chocolate:
- 1 bar of Hershey's Special Dark candy - the large 4.4 oz bar (Hershey keeps changing the size of this bar)
- 1/2 bar of Hershey's Milk Chocolate - the 4.4 oz bar
- 1 tbs of semi-sweet morsels

You can see why this recipe would be so good. It is mostly candy.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Cooking & Recipe Exchange