Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Explain how HP lives inside you & changes your life

Old April 1st, 2011, 2:26 am
Third Year

Explain how HP lives inside you & changes your life

Some questions you might answer, just one or more, or give your own explanations...

1) Retrospectively, how has the HP books changed your life?

2) How do these characters and families or House groupings live-on in your life?

3) What are the most important ideas or values you learned & now believe-in from the books?

4) What is the most important "thing" about the Harry Potter books to you & your life?

5) What did Harry Potter or another character do to change or inspire your life?

Thanks JKR!

==================

I'll start by answering 4 above:

The World of HP books will live-on inside me, because this is my fantasy family & childhood I would love to have been a part of in the Real World. Its captured my inner-child's imagination. That part of us that will never grow-up, and so that part of us can remain in a fantasy life that can carry-on forever & never die. (I may be depressed & sad that life goes on beyond new HP movies or novels, but I have all the novels to read or listen to again & again. I can watch the HP movies with other HP fans too.)

When someone dies in our real-life family, we keep them alive inside our hearts & minds with cherished memories too. It will be the same for me and Harry Potter too.

So, this is not The End of HP, but a new beginning for my inner-child will never end or die. (Btw, I came into the HP World as an adult beyond my teen years, so I missed that chance as a child to grow-up with HP. I guess that's why my inner-child loves HP's world so very much.)

He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.

Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.

SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!

Last edited by wandrider; April 3rd, 2011 at 2:28 am. Reason: Adding some answers to the questions...
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2011, 3:45 am
Third Year

Re: Does HP Live On & Change Your Life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrider View Post
Some questions you might answer or give your own explanations...

Given me more backaches shelving books at the library where I work? No, it's given me a new mythology to study and dig into and be fascinated by. I'm sort of the queen of analogies, and now I have tons of new examples. a whole world of them--"This is just like that time that Hermione thought that Harry was crazy for agreeing with Ron about..." "He's the kind of guy you're sure would be in Hufflepuff..." "He's got a real Lucius/Draco thing going on with his dad..."

Quote:
2) How do these characters and families or House groupings live-on in your life?
Apart from the above, I consider myself a Ravenclaw, one of my daughters is a moderate Gryffindor, and the other is an avid Hufflepuff. So I often see hats, scarves, t-shirts, ties, and feather pens lying around the house. And again, we use these examples and illustrations all the time.

Quote:
3) What are the most important ideas or values you learned & now believe-in from the books?
Well I was an adult already too, with most of my values in place, when the books came out, but many of the stories do make good little parables to remind me of certain things like judging books by their cover, finding a way when there doesn't seem to be one, that help can come from unexpected places, etc.

Quote:
4) What is the most important "thing" about the Harry Potter books to you & your life?
I guess I love re-reading books I love, and these books are great to re-re-read, and pick up on the little things, which there always seem to be more of to find. "When was the first time anyone saw these two characters with the other one?, hmmm..." "Ah, so that's the same picture Ron saw in book 2!", etc. They are just fun.

Quote:
5) What did Harry Potter or another character do to change or inspire your life?
I guess they remind me of qualities to work toward improving, and being proud of in my life. It's okay to be considered a 'walking encyclopedia' like Hermione; to be different and see life in another way than the crowd, like Luna; to be the mother with inner strengths and abilities no one suspects, and thus rarely appreciates, like Molly, as long as you believe in them yourself; and it's okay if my students sometimes think of me as strict, as long as they know I've got a sense of humor and a sense of justice, like McGonagall. So I know I need to hang on to those qualities.

Old April 1st, 2011, 7:06 am
Second Year

Re: Does HP Live On & Change Your Life?

I think most of us here can say it's a part of our identity. We are all Harry Potter "fans" or "fanatics," or what have you. We're those people who relate everyday things back to a book/movie and it means something to us.

"I sometimes think we sort too soon..." Don't put people in boxes. As fun as the sorting hat is - it doesn't define who anyone truly is on the inside.

Ideas and values: love and friendship. I see my group of friends the same way Luna sees her friends from the DA. My family isn't like the Weasley family or as drastic as the Potter family, but we aren't very close. I see my closest friends as my true family. I can depend on them, and we all accept each other for who we are.

Having something to read and enjoy reading. I am notorious for never finishing books - but I've finished this series a number of times. It also inspired me to keep searching for more books to capture my interest.

Luna inspired me to be different.
Hermione inspired me to be bright.
Ginny inspired me to be romantic.

Last edited by improvkari; April 1st, 2011 at 9:06 am.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:33 am
Second Year

Re: Explain How HP Lives Inside You & Changes Your Life

I understand the importance of love, trust and friendship which are lessons that have made me a better person

Everything I discuss can in some way be linked to something that has happened within this series and I have been often known to annoingly interrupt people and say "Oh I understand, it's like in Harry Potter when.."

Nobody is perfect, but we must accept people's differences with an open heart

Escaping into that magical world and, feeling like a part of the greatest story I have ever read. It feels like it was written just for me.

Luna really inspired me to not judge people and Dumbledore inspired me to accept myself and not strive for perfection

Old April 2nd, 2011, 2:12 am
[user title]

I will post later. Looks like an interesting topic.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

the books haven't really changed me. I realise that love and friendship are important. also, perserverance, and not to be too quick to judge a person just because they seem different.
I enjoy escaping into the wizarding world. Also, spending time on a fan site, exploring different ideas about a different world from whcih we live in.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 8:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Retrospectively, how has the HP books changed your life?
Well, for one of the many things I have met amazing people while discussing the books and waiting for the films.People I can call friends, who have been there just like real life friends whenever I have a problem. Who have helped me improve my computer skills and who have been a blessing to a girl who like Luna, barely had friends in real life.

Antoher aspect is that is a shelter when I face trouble. lets face it , my life is not a bliss and whenver I have problems , like all normal people do, visiting the strory, rereading the adventures helps me relax before I can deal with life issues.

It is like someone stated above in a post, part of my identity.People at school sure know that whatever has Potter on it belongs to me.
Quote:
How do these characters and families or House groupings live-on in your life?
Well, I do tend to classify people into houses and think where they might belong. I am a Gryffindor and try my best to stay in the housestereo type. Whenever I feel like chickening out of something I do say to myself. Are you a Grifffyndor or not?
My oldest daughter is a Ravenclaw, she is brainy, smart and quite a nerd. My youngest, she is a slytherin, she loves Bellatrix, she loves mischief... I personally think she is more Gryffindor than Slytherin, but she likes slytherin so , like Harry, she gets to choose.
My hubby is muggle.

As for the characters, I do tend to classify people by their personality and think which character they are similar to. I am a bit Hermione, hard worker, grade focused a bit bossy and I do have bushy hair. I am a lot Like Luna, looner and a bit weird. And a lot like Molly, chubby and with a nasty temper with my kids , but I do love them with all my heart and you better not hurt them or you will have to deal with me.

I am married to a Ronnish Snape vesrion who is fun , and gentle but can be very sour, and not fun, like Snape.

My oldest daughter is a lot like Hermione , and my younges is like Fred and George mixed in one adorable little girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by improvkari View Post
What are the most important ideas or values you learned & now believe-in from the books?

What I love about the story is how I have learned death must be accepted and dealt with as a natural part of life, that people will live forever in our heart and memmories , that holding on to life forever can bring no good.

I also cherish the characters that have set a role model for my life. I have a nasty temper like Harry in book five , I try to handle it remembering in how much trouble he got. I also , read frequently DD quotes that help me become a better person.
I try to imitate what ever attitudes I have loved in the characters in my effort to become a better person every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Bumblebee_X View Post
What is the most important "thing" about the Harry Potter books to you & your life?
Like I stated before , it is a shelter to real life, when I read or discuss the story I get so involved in it, for a few hours I forget about real life and get so involved is like traveling for real to another world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Bumblebee_X View Post
What did Harry Potter or another character do to change or inspire your life?
Harry tought me that love is the greatest power I will always have.As long as I love I will share the same special power Harry had.
Hermione taught me that books always have answers, ( i sort of knew that but she confirmed it) and that knowing stuff other people dont care about might be useful someday.
Ron taught me that things in life should be taken as they come , its good to relax and have fun also. its not only about studying, having fun is very important as well.

Fred and George taught me, you dont have to get top grades to be incredibly smart , you can be a genius and dont really care about school.

Voldemort taught me arrogance and selfishness are the worst characteristics one can have , and that I should try not to be like that cause it was one of the reasons he did not succed.

Dumbledore taught me , choices define what I really am. Love is powerful, we can all make mistakes but we all deserve a second chance.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old April 5th, 2011, 2:37 pm
First Year

Although they haven't really changed me as a person, they sparked a love of reading. Although I am notorious at starting a book and never really finishing it, or finishing it many years later, this is much more than I used to do! It has helped me with my studies as I have learnt to articulate my thoughts and think outside the box, it makes for some excellent essays!

Hmmmm... I'm not exactly sure how to answer this question right now!

I was always a firm believer in the power of love, friendship and family. It was excellent to have a story to go along with my beliefs. It has strengthened my relationship with my family. I feel I appreciate them more. I have also learnt that you should never judge a book by it's cover, that people should not be judged just by looking at their families history etc.

It offers an escape for me. Whether it be by watching a movie, re-reading a book or reading a fanfic online, it helps me to escape the troubles and hardship of life when it all becomes too much. Or sometimes just because I want to escape into fantasy just for fun!

Ron inspired me to overcome my fears and insecurities. Hermione inspired me to harness my intelligence and put it to good use. Luna inspired me to be myself, no matter what people think

R/Hr shipper, forever and always.
Old April 5th, 2011, 9:24 pm
First Year

HP is always in the back of my head, and pop up in random places. For instance, whenever my friends start a sentence with "I wish" A spell always pops into my head and I always have an answer for every problem. HP has also helped me in my creative English work because I can imagine things more clearly.

Its really unfair of me, but mentally I sort my classmates and people I meet into the different houses. Me and my friends are all DA to me.

I believe more strongly in friendship and the values of it.I can think of different ways to solve issues, though when you're a thirteen year old girl that can be quite challenging!

I love the idea of there being another world that I can't fully see, although I can see bits of it. Whenever I see fireworks, I think of the fight scene at the start of DH. And I like spotting bits of HP in mythology and in my History lessons. I think "I know that."

Hermione taught me to use my knowledge, Luna taught me to be indiviual and not care what people say and Narcissa taught me that there is good in evil

"When I was five years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment.
I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

Old April 5th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Second Year

Quote:

I learned to make decisions the way that the trio had to in danger. They have influenced me to think with a much broader mind, seeing all the complicated plots, relationships, etc.

Lightnox167
12 inches, Hawthorn, Unicorn Hair core, unyielding

Old April 6th, 2011, 1:01 am
Second Year

1) Retrospectively, how have the HP books changed your life?
I think they've just given me a sense of imagination, a sense that there's something better out there than the miserable world I feel we live in. I think we should all strive for a little magic and fantasy in our lives before we explode.

They will remain to be some of my favourite characters of all time, even the darker characters. They all represent the wrong and the right choices we should make in life and the consequences we face.

It's made it clearer to me to cherish family and friendship, that you can strive to be good, no matter who your influences are. As long as you allow people to help you, you'll be okay in the end.

It's just really amazing to read, it takes me away from my own life.

I have tremendous respect for Snape. I know what it feels like to love and lose someone, so I feel a lot of things that he does.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart. Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Old April 6th, 2011, 4:54 am
First Year

Well, the books have changed my life in many ways~ When I was younger, I first moved to the United States at the age of nine. It was a big experience for me, specially the language barrier which I still cannot seem to get rid of XD But technically, SS was the first book in english that I ever read and I remember feeling just so.....proud of myself for understanding what was going on~ I still have that copy of SS that I first read in 4th grade, and even though it's kind of falling apart (there's a lot of rain in south florida XD), I still treasure it, because it gave me hope that I could actually adapt to this foreign land to which I now call home

Well, depending on a person's character, I sometimes group my friends into certain Hogwarts houses~ It certainly makes school more fun sometimes XD

I believe in bravery and honesty, which I enforced with the HP books. Before, these values would have just barely crossed my mind, but now I truly treasure them~ ^w^

The fact that Harry, no matter how many times he was thrown down by life, he still managed to stand up. I dont know if it should be considered a 'thing', but if it wasn't for HP, I wouldnt be the person I was today.

I remember thinking while reading cos on how smart Hermione was and I felt...awed~ She is a truly amazing person and she has become my role model ever since. Every single HP character has somehow contributed to the way I think to this day, and I'm proud of that....because I believe that the values taught in this one story is something worth knowing. Hermione definitely made me more studious, that's for sure XD

If I was a Time Lord, I know that I would go to the world's biggest library and just read.
I want to be remembered as the girl who was there when she was needed, and the one who was the nicest of all.

Last edited by TrueRavenclaw; April 6th, 2011 at 4:58 am. Reason: Repeat~
Old April 6th, 2011, 5:23 am
[user title]

The big thing for me was that it gave me an outlet when my kids were younger and then I found this site which has let me talk about books for almost 7 years and make friends with many people from the site.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 1:33 pm
Second Year

Re: Explain how HP lives inside you & changes your life

Well, like some of you mentioned, I met Harry Potter's world in my adult years. It gave (and gives) me a wonderfull place to dive into whenever I need a break. It speaks to my (very loud) inner child and to live this phantasy in my head puts a smile on my face.
It allows me to do fun things like invite friends and their kids to play muggle quidditch on a Sunday afternoon and give a bottle of Skele-gro to the one kid who broke her toe during the game.

The first time my husband saw Hermione on the big screen, he turned to me and smiled because she reminded him of me (know-it-all). So she taught me it's OK to be smart. Luna taught me it's wonderful to be different and my hero Neville taught me it's important to take the time to find your real self and let it bloom.

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old April 22nd, 2011, 5:19 pm
Third Year

My habits are different. I was never a big reader before HP, but now I must read every day to keep myself happy, whether it's HP or not. And I don't know what it is, but the series somehow inspired me to read all kinds different books, in a way nothing else has. Also, before HP, I used to watch a lot of TV. Now, I barely watch any.

It's given everyone something to play around with, I think. For example, you might have a teacher you could classify as a Ravenclaw, or as a "McGonagall". As for myself, I got sorted into Slytherin so I've been having fun with that.

A big thing with me is that I don't like happy endings. I don't know why. But Hp somehow satisfied me with all the deaths and I realized, for pretty much the first time ever, I wanted the protagonist to win. I learned that love conquers evil, the values of friendship, and that you have to make sacrifices to get what you want.

I've really become a different person. My personality changed. And when I'm bored, I don't sit around, I go and read HP, and it doesn't matter how many times I've read it. I love that I found these books and I can read them as many times as I want and they never get old. I have NEVER been able to do that with any other book.

Harry tought me about sacrifices. Fred and George taught me some new jokes. Snape taught me to be awesome.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old April 22nd, 2011, 6:14 pm
First Year

Harry Potter didn't change my life. Harry Potter is and always has been my life. I've loved it for nearly 10 years now, since the first film, and I didn't want to read the book until a year ago. I read the seventh book and realised how amazing it is, to read the book. I also read some other parts and saw that movie can't quite capture the true nature of the plot. The basic things, yes, but not everything. So, it had a big effect on my book reading, I started to read a lot more.

Harry Potter taught me of love, friendship and magic. I'm not the type of a person that will go and cry over something, but Harry Potter really got me. I cried whenever a character died, especially the ones I liked the most, Serius, Snape, Hedwing, Tonks, Lupin, Fred, and such. But if there weren't such deaths, Harry Potter would be a mere copy of Disney, because this book represents life in its fullest, just with a touch of magic.

Each character represents a type of a person we can see in real life, and each one of them has their good and bad sides, something that strengtens them and something that puts them to tears, someone they fall for and someone they hate. Every one of them has something in their past that encouraged them to be what they are, just like we have it too.

Harry Potter will always stay a huge part of my life, tho I have to remember: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
One day, when I have children of my own, I'll always be reading them Harry Potter, and that it becomes a big part of their life too, cause it really should.

Do you need me, like I need you?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 2:47 am
Second Year

It made me believe in magic. Er... it sounds weird, but I don't know how to explain. It made me have hope and it taught me that love and true friendship may conquer everything. Oh, yeah... and my Muggle school sucks. Lol.

Some of them inspire me with their words, or intrigue me. I have to say they're like the friends, family and teachers I never had... or let's just say people that I never met in my life.

A lot. It's hard to count or enumerate, honestly.

It taught to believe that everything can happen with love. Everything about it will alway be a part of my life.

Each of the characters did what they did to inspire me. And I learned a lot of things from all of them.

Drarry | Romione | Lupin/Tonks
Old April 26th, 2011, 3:36 am
Second Year

The books have made me see the world and how it really is, more analytical, made me more involved in issues, and care more about people and life in general. Before the stories I did not think much about issues or what was going on around me but the stories drove me to see what needs to be done and that people need to stand up and do something about it. I also now analyse everything from books to shows to why someone randomly did something.

I am a Hufflepuff and I try to group everyone I meet haha. I have everything I can find (haha) of my house and encourage others to do the same. If I see someone that is like a character I will tell them.

These books opened my mind and thousands of others to a unique experience. The books completely changed my life. The third question I omitted because the books taught me soooo many life lessons that my parents never really taught and if they said one I didnt feel like they meant it. The most important thing is that it was brought into my life. I see life differently now, made half of my friends because of it, and have a job because of HP. It gave me something to do and think about other than school work and gave me a passion other than reading- to make a difference in anyones life. Its so hard to just explain what Harry means and whats important. It is more than a story.

Harry gave me the inspiration to drive on when something is hard. I may question and want to quit but I know that I must continue because the rewards will be great.
Luna made me see that there is more than meets the eye and I need to start believeing in the impossible. I need to be more trustworthy and openminded. I also need to dream. Those dreams may come true if I really go for them.

Old April 26th, 2011, 7:46 pm
First Year

I guess this series hasn't really changed my life in the way most people have already posted, but it certainly has changed my life.

My reaction to these books is similar to Harry's reaction when he enters the Weasley's tent at the Quidditch World Cup, when he says "I love magic". Really, Rowling has created a world so original, so lively, so livable... that I wish so much that it was all real, the life that I would love to have.

I can relate to many of the characters, many of their problems, of course. The mystery that surrounds the entire series, always being propelled forward in the story by trying to solve the unknown. I've had so much fun with these books and I really don't believe that I will enjoy anything else in my life as I have enjoyed this series. Even though I've read the books multiple times, knowing that there won't be an 8th book saddens me quite a bit.

I guess the series has changed my life in a more obscure type of way that I can't really explain. I just love it so much.

Old April 28th, 2011, 11:37 pm
First Year

Retrospectively, how has the HP books changed your life?

They gave me something to believe in. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. Harry Potter goes through so much in his life, he loses family and friends, has all this pressure on him, and well, he is The Boy Who Lived. And if I put myself in Harry's shoes, well it would be really tough. I have so much respect for him and the others. It shows me that no matter what, we all have a chance, no matter where we came from or who we are. And I have so much more respect for people now. I don't know if this makes any sense to ya'll, but it makes sense to me.

Harry Potter is about nobility, loyalty, friendship, respect, responsibility, trust, and many other meaningful things. There is so much HP taught me; the value of friendship, love conquers evil, being brave and honest, facing your fears, and so much more.

A lot of choices made by characters were made out of love. And in the end, Love will always beat Evil. Even if it is not in the way Harry Potter defeated Voldemort, but it will always be stronger than evil.

It's hard to explain why Harry Potter means so much to me, but I did my best. Anyways, Harry Potter will always be in my heart. It gives me an escape from my own insane life. That's why I love Harry Potter.

Last edited by thesevensydneys; April 28th, 2011 at 11:49 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak