Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part Two [incl. SPOILERS] v.3

Old April 2nd, 2011, 3:17 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part Two [incl. SPOILERS] v.3

Welcome to the third version of the DH Part Two thread.
versions 1 & 2

Be aware: The purpose of this thread is to discuss any movie news coming from official sources only. You can discuss the movie plot based on the information we have so far. If you don't want to be spoiled, this isn't the thread for you.

Examples of things you may link to or discuss:
  • official trailers or TV spots, such as those released on WB's official youtube account - NO ILLEGAL LINKS
  • leaked photos, but please no hotlinking
  • leaked scripts, but please take them with a grain of salt as no leaks are guaranteed genuine

Please put big stills/promotional material under expanded tags.
They look like this: [expand=Subject line]Pictures go here.[/expand]

Any questions about the running of the thread, also known as thread logistics, should go via owl to the mods.

Be polite to each other, respect each others opinions and please remember that we do not allow chatting in the thread (chat posts will be deleted).
Chatting can be done here: Pitchside: Halftime Chat v14

Now, this is not a thread to discuss DH1 or say how much you loved it or hated it or whatever it is your feelings may be. This is to discuss the final installment of Harry Potter films and where things will be going from here.

last couple of posts from version 2:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
15. How do feel about Quest for the Hallows as a marketting tool for DH2? Is it very effective?
I do not even know what it is, which sort of answers the second part I haven't been here much lately, but clearly it has not permeated the general public.

At any rate, the only important "marketing tool" here is the prior 7 films. People have driven this car 7 times now: a catchy promo jingle isn't going to register.

16. What did you think of the ABC Family sneak peak at DH2 we got this month? What was your favorite shot from it?
I watched them, but I don't recall any of them off-hand. I remember thinking that they all looked fine as it was.

17. There very likely will be a test-screening for DH2 this weekend. If so, will you read and ask the test-screeners a whole bunch of questions that could spoil the film for you immensely?
Eh, I'll ask "did it tell a story?" and the test-screener probably wont' understand what I asked…

Seriously, it cannot be spoiled as I know the ending. The "changed" parts will only answer my questions about how they changed things that could not work as written in the books, or that are unique issues to the films. For example, how will they remind the audience about Snape? (It will have been 2 years, so they won't remember Prince anymore.)

18. What do you think of the new teaser poster? Do you like the High Noon/final showdown concept? Will it get non-fans intrigued?
What is a "non-fan"? If you mean people who have not been seeing the film, then, no. However, the Voice of God echoing from the Sky saying "GO SEE HARRY POTTER (Potter… potter… potter….) would not do that at this point: again, after 7 films, marketing is irrelevant now: the people who never have seen HP are not coming, and the Columbus Casualties are never coming back.

If a non-fan is the ~70% of the audience who buy tickets but who do not buy the books, then it will not particularly "intrigue" them: the last film (probably) did, so they already are intrigued. People turned off by the last film (which should be a small proportion given the available data) probably will not be re-intrigued: my guess is that they think that this literal and figurative face-off should have happened in November.

19. Do you think since it is confirmed that Snape will go to Godric's Hollow in the Prince's Tale, that we will have a flashback to what happened that night in Godric's Hollow, at the begining of the film?
That scene could just as easily be from A Prince's Tale. I am looking forward to that: it was the high point of the series for me.

Just as long as the film provides a definitive answer to the missing 24 hours (as well as what James and Lily did for jobs), I'll be happy....

20. What scene are you most looking forward to now, based on the new stills and video we have seen from DH2 this month? When do you think we'll get that dratted trailer?
Actually, it's not one scene, but the whole sequence from Snape's Death -> A Prince's Tale -> Harry's Sacrifice -> King's Cross in the Sky. That was the zenith and the climax of the story: the rest almost was denouement and a bit of a let-down, really!

As for the trailer, I thought that one had been issued: but I must be thinking of the clips from ABC. They might not bother with the trailer until the start of the summer movies season in a month. Really, the only important information now is "Harry Potter, 15 July 2011."

21. How do you think the film will showcase Harry and Voldemort's final showdown? Do you like the idea that they greatly expanded it for the film? Will it be a defining showdown in cinema history?
It almost certainly will not be considered any great cinematic moment, but that does not mean that it won't be entertaining for the people who have followed the series. The problem is that the climax of the story comes earlier, when Harry decides to sacrifice himself, but in doing so saves himself. This really represents the tying up of the plot: Voldemort has to be eliminated, after all.

The really tough part will be making the whole Wand issue make sense to the audience. Indeed, I almost wonder if they are just better off skipping it. Tolkien fans claimed that nobody would understand how the Witch King died because Merry did not have a Numenorean sword, which was key to killing the WiKi. On the contrary, audiences didn't seem puzzled at all: having Eowyn cram a sword into the WiKi's head was adequate. It might be the case that an explanation simply won't be necessary OR that they can use the self-sacrifice as the key.

At any rate, I do hope that they don't drag it down with too much exposition: but I might still be too busy puking from "Super Molly" to notice, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranen View Post
15. How do feel about Quest for the Hallows as a marketting tool for DH2? Is it very effective?

Not effective at all.

16. What did you think of the ABC Family sneak peak at DH2 we got this month? What was your favorite shot from it?

It was truly awesome! as for fav i cant decide!

17. There very likely will be a test-screening for DH2 this weekend. If so, will you read and ask the test-screeners a whole bunch of questions that could spoil the film for you immensely?

tenchically we are all already "spoiled" because weve read the bloody thing

18. What do you think of the new teaser poster? Do you like the High Noon/final showdown concept? Will it get non-fans intruiged?

possibly

19. Do you think since it is confirmed that Snape will go to Godric's Hollow in the Prince's Tale, that we will have a flashback to what happened that night in Godric's Hollow, at the begining of the film?

I don't think that this confirms such I thing, but I still would like to see it

20. What scene are you most looking forward to now, based on the new stills and video we have seen from DH2 this month? When do you think we'll get that dratted trailer?

you know that whole point from where the film starts to where it ends?

OMG, I almost forgot about the trailer with all this Sneak Peek/Poster/Test Screening hype

21. How do you think the film will showcase Harry and Voldemort's final showdown? Do you like the idea that they greatly expanded it for the film? Will it be a defining showdown in cinema history?

i like that its expanded a little as long as all the dialouge "severus snape was never yours" etc... remains it'll be fine oh and harry being the elder wand's real master and all that is made clear showdown of the century? well itll be no Luke/Vader/Emperor but it will be worthy of the end of the series
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrider View Post
Given that there has to be more Wand Warfare than just HP & TR-LV...

I suggest forget "Super Molly" for a sec...

AND, don't puke!

Focus on Bellatrix instead. Don't you just love her character throughout the HP movies? She's hot, she's wicked-in-style, portrayed by a Bella-perfect funky actress, I can't wait to watch Bella fight, use her wicked voice, and finally die with some fantastic "death mask" & special effects. A lot of adult-boy males would be very disappointed to miss-out on that scene, and I doubt Molly will be the star attraction ( except for maybe mother HP book fans ). Imho.
Quote:
OK, then have Sybil Trelawney ditch her glasses and mudwrestle Bellatrix to death. It would be just as irrelevant, many times more irreverent AND the middle-aged fan "boys" (well, this one, anyway) would love it..... I suppose that the winner gets Gilderoy Lockhart?

Oh, and my incredibly thorough sampling of 5 women who are both HP fans and mothers (including my wife!) indicates that 100% (yup, 5 out of 5!) HP moms think that either Neville or Hermione should [have] off[ed] Bellatrix. Molly reminds them of their mothers: and thus they'd like to see Neville or Hermione zap Molly, too! I'm sure that's a meaningful result....

Seriously, that is priceless advice....

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2011, 3:28 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part Two [incl. SPOILERS] v.3

Just a small warning to those who don't want spoilers. This thread is going to get very spoilerish in the next couple of days with the Test Screening happening. Reports are going to come out of the woodworks. If you want to be free of spoilers, do not look here! There is a Non-Spoiler thread for that, here:

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....53#post5718753

You've been forewarned!

Last edited by Fury; April 2nd, 2011 at 3:49 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 4:32 pm
First Year

Hey Guys! I've been a long, long time follower and wanted to give it a try.

Now have we got conformation? I checked and for DH1 we got it confirmed by Mugglenet at 11:30 for a 2:00 showing. Any other sources?

Old April 2nd, 2011, 5:20 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
The really tough part will be making the whole Wand issue make sense to the audience. Indeed, I almost wonder if they are just better off skipping it.
I agree. I hope Kloves/Yates simplify the wandlore rules and explain Harry's victory by the fact that he is the true master of death due to his sacrifice. That is a far less contrived explanation than Harry winning because he took a wand from Draco months ago. The outcome will be the same because, surely, the Elder Wand won't kill its master.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 5:27 pm
First Year

My post was deleted, so I'll post again:

To read or not to read, that is the question! We have a number of sources including Gabrielle from Twitter and Eric, Emerson and Andrew from MuggleNet and HPF.

Formerly Third Year Member
Old April 2nd, 2011, 5:37 pm
Registered Animagus

Gabrielle Adelle, who is going to the screening, will answer questions about it here. There is already very long list there. But you are free to comment and ask more...

http://www.theyoungfolks.com/?p=1525

Old April 2nd, 2011, 5:46 pm
Seventh Year

Melissa Anelli from TLC may possibly be there as well

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Old April 2nd, 2011, 5:52 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePuff003 View Post
My post was deleted, so I'll post again
Your post was deleted because it only said 'to read or not to read, that is the question' - in this thread we consider this kind of posts as chat since it doesn't add to the discussion about the film.

No worries, though. You haven't been the only one today. It's just, that it is quite exhausting for members who log in three hours later to read through a few pages saying nothing but impressing excitement. We relate very much, but any information get's lost in there.

So please don't post when your reply consists of chat only. Thanks.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 6:02 pm
Fifth Year

I'm both excited and anxious for this movie. The amount of potential with the Prince's Tale is staggering, especially since they've moved Snape's death to the boathouse. I'm also wondering how they're going to show why Snape's patronus is a doe. I know they could show him casting the spell when he says "Always" but I think it could be even more tragic if he did it WITH Lily as students in Hogwarts (hopefully in the boathouse/lake).

Again, I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but that would be ideal.

~ A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~
Old April 2nd, 2011, 6:10 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred_Memories View Post
I'm both excited and anxious for this movie. The amount of potential with the Prince's Tale is staggering, especially since they've moved Snape's death to the boathouse. I'm also wondering how they're going to show why Snape's patronus is a doe. I know they could show him casting the spell when he says "Always" but I think it could be even more tragic if he did it WITH Lily as students in Hogwarts (hopefully in the boathouse/lake).

Again, I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but that would be ideal.
I'd love that, too, it would be poignantly symbolic. Lily could watch with a kind of amazement but doesn't understand what it truly means, whereas as shocked Snape does. I really think this film will do TPT justice. I also hope we see the scene with James, Sirius, Lily and Snape meeting for the first time on the Hogwarts Express as I feel that the Young Marauders dialouge, character development has been sadly limited due to SWM being quite abrupt in OOTP. But, hopefully, that means there'll be an extended SWM in TPT, so we can see the pivotal 'Mudblood' incident.

Just my opinion.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 6:26 pm
Fifth Year

Exactly, but you know...Steve Kloves has got nothing on me and you, FutureAuthor13. BTW, I also want to be an author! Ok, this isn't a chat!

In how many hours will it start?

~ A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~
Old April 2nd, 2011, 6:49 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I'm also wondering how they're going to show why Snape's patronus is a doe. I know they could show him casting the spell when he says "Always" but I think it could be even more tragic if he did it WITH Lily as students in Hogwarts (hopefully in the boathouse/lake).
And, of course, how will the film remind the audience of the significance of the doe? November is a long time ago already, and July is a long ways away!

One possibility is that Harry will see Snape casting the spell in the forest: that would visually remind the audience of what they saw last year.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 6:58 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
And, of course, how will the film remind the audience of the significance of the doe? November is a long time ago already, and July is a long ways away!

One possibility is that Harry will see Snape casting the spell in the forest: that would visually remind the audience of what they saw last year.
That would be good I'm hoping they keep Harry's explanation of the significance etc during his face off with Voldemort at the end, but given they're extending that then I don't know whether we'll get his speech, or at least the full version.

So I just managed to catch the opening scene, and I really liked it I actually thought Dan was quite good in it, didn't think he seemed wooden at all!

No idea whether I'll be able to keep away from this thread/fansites once the test screening has taken place, I imagine I'll be skim reading everything looking for certain bits that I really want to know and trying my best to avoid other bits I want to avoid.

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Exactly, but you know...Steve Kloves has got nothing on me and you, FutureAuthor13. BTW, I also want to be an author! Ok, this isn't a chat!

In how many hours will it start?
HarryPotterForum said 2:30 or 3:00.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:20 pm
Second Year

In half an hour, an audience will see Part II in a test screening. I couldn't possibly be more nervous - or more excited.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:29 pm
Second Year

So excited!!! One thing I hope someone tells us the runtime of the film.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:31 pm
Second Year

Someone in the theater took a picture of the line for the test screening (thanks HPF - great resource for up-to-date news!):

http://yfrog.com/h03clfdj

Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:40 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisKelpman View Post
In half an hour, an audience will see Part II in a test screening. I couldn't possibly be more nervous - or more excited.
I think your time is a little off--right now it's 1:30pm in Chicago. At least an hour or so to go before it begins.

Things I'm hoping to hear about:
Ron/Hermione kiss
Um, who am I kidding...the whole thing! I want lots of details.

Quote:

I really like that idea.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:42 pm
Second Year

I've heard differently. Someone who is attending said "little less than a half hour now" (is it 1:44 in Chicago?), hence the timing.

If it starts at 2:00, that's sixteen minutes.

EDIT:

Since Heyman is attending, they might talk about the film before the screening. So, even if it starts at around 2:15, they enter at 2:00.

Last edited by BorisKelpman; April 2nd, 2011 at 7:46 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:46 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:

If they show Snape about to leave the office with the true sword then it might be enough. It would be nice to see him placing the sword in the pond and then casting the doe though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisKelpman View Post
I've heard differently. Someone who is attending said "little less than a half hour now" (is it 1:44 in Chicago?), hence the timing.

If it starts at 2:00, that's sixteen minutes.

EDIT:

Since Heyman is attending, they might talk about the film before the screening. So, even if it starts at around 2:15, they enter at 2:00.
Depends on if they are already in there. Usually they let people get into a theater at least a half an hour before. It takes people a while to get settled.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References