Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part Two [incl. SPOILERS] v.3

Old April 4th, 2011, 2:45 pm
Third Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part Two [incl. SPOILERS] v.3

Am I the only one disappointed by the fact that Hagrid apparently does not fight at all and only has one line throughout the whole movie?

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2011, 2:55 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne View Post
Am I the only one disappointed by the fact that Hagrid apparently does not fight at all and only has one line throughout the whole movie?
The only Hagrid scene I thought HAD to be in, is. He carries the "dead" Harry, something I really, really wanted to see.

I am trying to remember important dialogue involving Hagrid from the DH book, and drawing a blank. Am I forgetting something?

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 4th, 2011, 2:57 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:

Refresh my memory. Did he fight in the first one? There is the flight from Privet Drive; mostly he is involved in getting Harry out of there. I can't think of his lines in the book, but they weren't many to be sure.

Old April 4th, 2011, 3:10 pm
Third Year

In the 7 Potters chapter he jumps on a Death Eater, and during the battle he throws a DE into a wall. Seems like they have cut every single "action" moment he has had in any of the books.

Never mind that, I still very much look forward to the movie.

Old April 4th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
The only Hagrid scene I thought HAD to be in, is. He carries the "dead" Harry, something I really, really wanted to see.

I am trying to remember important dialogue involving Hagrid from the DH book, and drawing a blank. Am I forgetting something?
Apparently, he is in two. Harry hugs Hagrid after the battle apparently. Someone said that. Maybe I read that wrong....

But yes, I agree with you, arithmancer. The only Hagrid scene I expected was the same you mentioned. Happy it is in.

I wonder if he says "No, Harry, what are you doing?!" Or is silent when Harry comes.

Of course, they would also have to explain why Hagrid got captured by Voldemort...

Old April 4th, 2011, 3:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
apparently having learned to fly by osmosis
This isn't the case, Meesha. As established in OotP, the Death Eaters in "smoke form" can carry others with them (remember when the Death Eaters fly around the group after they enter the room with the Veil and, when the chaos with the smoke stops, they have Harry's friends captured?), but this does not necessarily mean that the other people know how to "fly" themselves. Think about Side-by-Side Apparation in this case: the person who is being taken along doesn't necessarily have to know Apparation themselves.

As for Hermione and Ron apparently letting Harry leave, I think I can understand Ron's reaction. Having just seen his brother die, he knows what the repurcussions will be if he tries to convince Harry to stay behind. It reminds me of his line in the first film about how it can't be him, it can't be Hermione - ultimately, it has to be Harry, even though they can support him along the way. I trust Emma, Rupert and Dan enough as actors to give this moment several layers.

Old April 4th, 2011, 3:58 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
This was what I was worried about, they obviously can't have the audience hearing Harry's inner monologue like the book,
It actually could have been extremely powerful, just as it was in the book. The book and the movies were almost entirely following Harry but in third person voice - some of his feelings, but a bit distanced as well. But the inner monologue was extremely personal, trying to give the sense of someone walking out to sacrifice himself. A voice over by Dan giving Harry's inner thoughts and observations, how his heart raced, how marvelous a body seems, when you are soon to die, the realization of the meaning of 'I open at the close' (followed by Harry, not in voiceover pressing the snitch to his mouth as he says he is about to die), would put the entire audience in Harry's mind, feeling the fear and despair over walking to death.

Prof. Minerva McGonagall had a bit too much celebrating after the Battle and got stuck for several years in her Animagus form

Nonetheless, she made the most of it and had a good time as a cat.

Old April 4th, 2011, 3:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
Nope, I don't think so. Although I read somewhere that we see them getting married, but I can't recall which review that was.
Oh, cool. That could mean TPT, while it mainly concerns Snape's memories, is also a kind of 'flashback time period' scene(s) of the main events that occured in the Prince's Tale timescale. That would explain why we have a scene with Lily telling baby Harry he is loved and possibly a James and Lily wedding scene, as they most likely won't be Snape's proper memories as he wasn't present during these events. Unless they manage to think of a way to include him in these scenes...?

Just my opinion.

Old April 4th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAuthor13 View Post
Oh, cool. That could mean TPT, while it mainly concerns Snape's memories, is also a kind of 'flashback time period' scene(s) of the main events that occured in the Prince's Tale timescale. That would explain why we have a scene with Lily telling baby Harry he is loved and possibly a James and Lily wedding scene, as they most likely won't be Snape's proper memories as he wasn't present during these events. Unless they manage to think of a way to include him in these scenes...?

Just my opinion.
That is exactly what I was thinking too.... I doubt every one of these memories will be in Snape's PoV, since we have this evidence of James/Lily scenes.

Old April 4th, 2011, 4:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I'm just incredibly pleased that his most memorable moment in the book - for me, anyway - has been preserved and apparently adapted very, very well. It's possible that he is seen fighting, but as it occurs mostly in the background, some of the test screeners missed the detail. We do see giants during the final battle, so perhaps Hagrid can be glimpsed nearby in their scenes?

Old April 4th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Quote:

Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking too.... I doubt every one of these memories will be in Snape's PoV, since we have this evidence of James/Lily scenes.
Right ~ I think they are mixing Snape and Harry's memories at that point to give us a bunch of backstory and show how it all intertwines. It's sort of like the scene in OotP during Occlumency when we can visually see Snape watching Harry's memory of hugging Sirius, and then Snape steps into the Mirror of Erised between James and Lily - it's more powerful than the book because it's visual.

And hey - this is a movie, so there's poetic license.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old April 4th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Hagrid, I presume we won't be shown him begging that nobody hurt the poor old giant spiders. Because I found that pretty exasperating (not to say amusing), in the book. It was so ... clueless, on his part.

The moment when he carries Harry is very moving and it's good that's in.

Old April 4th, 2011, 4:55 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
Right ~ I think they are mixing Snape and Harry's memories at that point to give us a bunch of backstory and show how it all intertwines. It's sort of like the scene in OotP during Occlumency when we can visually see Snape watching Harry's memory of hugging Sirius, and then Snape steps into the Mirror of Erised between James and Lily - it's more powerful than the book because it's visual.

And hey - this is a movie, so there's poetic license.
Oh, wow, that's awesome! I really can't wait to watch TPT and see how the different POVs from the memories intertwine and flow with each other.

On another topic, does anyone know if Dumbledore's final line of farewell at Kings Cross ("Of course, it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?") has been confirmed to be in the film or not?

Old April 4th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Re: Hagrid, I presume we won't be shown him begging that nobody hurt the poor old giant spiders. Because I found that pretty exasperating (not to say amusing), in the book. It was so ... clueless, on his part.
Oh yes, that was a good character moment for him in the book. (I think it is ambiguous. He may be asking the spiders not to hurt the kids, an equally clueless action, at any rate.) But yes, I don't think movie comic relief is needed at that juncture.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 4th, 2011, 5:04 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Oh, wow, that's awesome! I really can't wait to watch TPT and see how the different POVs from the memories intertwine and flow with each other.

On another topic, does anyone know if Dumbledore's final line of farewell at Kings Cross ("Of course, it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?") has been confirmed to be in the film or not?
According to a test screener, yes, that parting line is in the movie.

Old April 4th, 2011, 5:11 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisKelpman View Post
According to a test screener, yes, that parting line is in the movie.
Thank you. It's one of my favourite lines, actually, in the whole series; it's a typically Dumbledore-ish kind of thing to say and I also find it very poignant: it's a line that siginifies wonder of the magical world (like young 11 year old Harry experiences) and I love that it's a reflection upon everything the series is simply about.

Just my opinion.

Old April 4th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Quote:

Yes, I think it has! But I can't recall where I saw it. I think I have the link on Livejournal but it seems to be down right now so it will be later.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old April 4th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
I agree ! it would have beenperfect indeed. I am therapyng myself into the changes, but it is not being easy. I have been trying to stay positve all this time and yesterday when we asked about it , it was quite a low blow honestly, specially when I think it is for the cinematic purposes because most people would hate it as was in the book, because they need the action pack of a superhero. sighs... but I am focusing on the positive. It will be interesting to watch it I keep telling myself.
I just don't like that type of drawn out action sequence - the lone hero battling it out for a long period of time - i.e. the 20 minute dragon chase from GOF. They serve no purpose to the story and, quite frankly, they're boring to me. My husband likes action movies like that, but I'm just sitting there wondering what the point is and when will it be over - or laughing because it's so ridiculously contrived. It's kind of funny because even the actors who do those kinds of movies say such scenes are ridiculous and nobody could ever do anything like that in real life. Give me a scene like the ones Steven Seagal does - knock em out with one or two punches and move on please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Some new tibits from Rach:

- Harry figures out the "I open at the close" riddle by taking it out, kissing it and reading it and saying, "I am ready to die" and it opens. The stone floats in midair and he catches it with his other hand but the stone was not in the test-screening. It will be added with CGI later.

-He tries to touch his ghost mother but his hand goes through her.

- Most of the dialog from the ghosts is the same as in the book.

- At the end of their conversation, Harry asks them if anyone else would be able to see them and they say no. It cuts immediately from this to the shot from the trailer of Harry walking to Voldemort. We are seeing it from Voldemort's POV now and assume the ghosts are still with Harry even though we do not see them.

She said this whole scene was very emotional and done very well.
I think this might be my favorite scene - have to see it first to really know, but it's my favorite in the descriptions we have about the film. In the book, I felt that it was clear that Lily, James, Sirius, and Lupin knew that Harry was going to survive in the end. I'm wondering if that will come through for the film as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I really think all they needed to do was have Dumbledore be emphatic in the memories that Harry must be the one to die because he is a horcrux. Say he has to go to Voldemort to die. That that was the important thing. As long as they do that in the memories there is no need for Harry to say anything to Ron and Hermione. Then any other dialogue could be with the ghosts. About his fear and then about his desire to protect the people. He could say that to the ghosts. I just don't think that there is a good reason for them to have them talk to Ron and Hermione. I am not going to say i hate the scene because it might be fine but saying it out loud is not a good enough reason because he could say it somewhere else.
I agree. The audience will already know what Harry is doing because it was explained in Snape's memories. I think it's unnecessary and repetitious for him to explain it to Ron and Hermione as well.

Honestly, I think this would have worked best exactly as it was presented in the book. Harry using the cloak to avoid Ron and Hermione, but then revealing himself to Neville on the grounds. He doesn't need to tell anyone where he's going or what he's doing because the audience will already know that - plus it will be reiterated again when he sees his parents, Sirius, and Lupin. All that's needed here is for Harry to tell Neville that Nagini has to be killed, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisKelpman View Post
This isn't the case, Meesha. As established in OotP, the Death Eaters in "smoke form" can carry others with them (remember when the Death Eaters fly around the group after they enter the room with the Veil and, when the chaos with the smoke stops, they have Harry's friends captured?), but this does not necessarily mean that the other people know how to "fly" themselves. Think about Side-by-Side Apparation in this case: the person who is being taken along doesn't necessarily have to know Apparation themselves.
From what I have read, this sounds like a very confusing sequence. Some reviews say Harry's flying - others say he's being carried - others say it looks like Harry and Voldemort have merged into one being. It just sounds weird to me. And I was never a fan of the whole smoky flying effect anyway - are they supposed to be on fire or something? It's just one of those bizarre decisions they made with these films that I don't get and I don't really like.

As I said above, I simply do not like long, drawn out action sequences like this. I think they are boring and pointless. In this case, it's also completely unbelievable to me because Harry was never a match for Voldemort in a duel. Harry was always going to win on some kind of technicality because nothing else would have been believable, IMO. I wanted to see that in the film as well. I think the "shootout" feel that was in the book would have been much more interesting than this.

Quote:
As for Hermione and Ron apparently letting Harry leave, I think I can understand Ron's reaction. Having just seen his brother die, he knows what the repurcussions will be if he tries to convince Harry to stay behind. It reminds me of his line in the first film about how it can't be him, it can't be Hermione - ultimately, it has to be Harry, even though they can support him along the way. I trust Emma, Rupert and Dan enough as actors to give this moment several layers.
I think the question here is whether or not Ron has any reaction at all. I'm not worried about them not hugging because that wasn't something Ron and Harry did a lot of, but I would expect Ron to have some kind of reaction to hearing his best friend - his surrogate brother - saying he has to die. A supportive hand on the shoulder with an expression of grief and reluctant acceptance - a question as to whether Harry was sure there was no other way - an emotional look exchanged. Something to show an emotional reaction from Ron.

And there may be - Rupert is very talented with expressing himself without saying anything so there might be nothing to worry about with that scene at all. It might be that nobody has mentioned his expression in the reviews. We won't know for sure until we actually see the film ourselves. But I'm not sure how well this scene is going to work regardless because it is going to be repetitious after Snape's memories - particularly with it all being repeated again when he meets the spirits of his parents, Sirius, and Lupin. They could have easily just kept Harry running into Neville and telling him that Nagini had to be killed, IMO.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old April 4th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Thank you. It's one of my favourite lines, actually, in the whole series; it's a typically Dumbledore-ish kind of thing to say and I also find it very poignant: it's a line that siginifies wonder of the magical world (like young 11 year old Harry experiences) and I love that it's a reflection upon everything the series is simply about.

Just my opinion.
I love that line as well (see my sig ) and was happy it made it into the film. I've always imagined Dumbledore sort of fading out in white smoke as he says the line, so I will be interested to see how it goes in the movie.

Has anyone been able to figure out what Lucius' does differently in the film? I remember a past interview with Jason Isaacs that mentioned his character had a redeeming moment or something in the film that differed from the book, but nothing from the test screening has been mentioned about it yet.

Old April 4th, 2011, 5:39 pm
First Year

I read that Narcissa doesn't lie to voldemort about Harry, is that true?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References