Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.19

Old May 5th, 2011, 10:24 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Little Questions Answered v.19

This thread is meant for short questions and short discussions related to the Potterverse which are supposed to get a clear answer. In depth discussions can be done in existing threads (especially concerning analysis of characters).

Version 18 can be found here

Questions regarding the movies can be asked in the following thread: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Ask away

Last edited by Hes; August 24th, 2011 at 10:26 am.
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:37 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Little Questions Answered v.19

Cool !, first post I was wondering in OoTP Dumbledore tells Prof Mcgonagall to head off Umbridge and tell her any story to buy time so Dumbledore can send the Weasleys & Harry to #12 G. my question is why would he need such a stall when all he needed to do was lock his office door so she can't get in ?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old May 5th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Cool !, first post I was wondering in OoTP Dumbledore tells Prof Mcgonagall to head off Umbridge and tell her any story to buy time so Dumbledore can send the Weasleys & Harry to #12 G. my question is why would he need such a stall when all he needed to do was lock his office door so she can't get in ?
Well, if he'd locked his door and she'd tried to get in she'd have been suspicious that something was going on. If Minerva headed her off in some innocent fashion she might not have realised that Dumbledore was sending students out of school till much later. I don't think Dumbledore wanted to provoke her more than he could help. That's my take on it anyway.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:39 pm
First Year

Did the Death Eater marks fade once Voldemort was defeated or does the tattoo stay on ex- Death Eaters forever?

Old May 5th, 2011, 11:18 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrick View Post
Did the Death Eater marks fade once Voldemort was defeated or does the tattoo stay on ex- Death Eaters forever?
i would presume forever, but were not sure because when we thought Voldemort has been vanquished he was simply hiding so thats not the best example to use. But knowing Voldemorts mentality he would like to leave a permanent brand so people will remember him even when he is not there. In a way he does get immortality

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old May 5th, 2011, 11:26 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrick View Post
It would fade, but not entirely:

Quote:
Q: Does the dark mark remain on those that voldemort has branded after his death or does the tattoo dissapear now he is gone thanks for considering my question!

J.K. Rowling: The Dark Mark would fade to a scar, not dissimilar to the lightning scar on Harry's forehead.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...bury-chat.html

"You need your Inner Eye tested, if you ask me.
" - Ron Weasley

"I don't know where you learned about right and wrong, but you
seem to have missed a few crucial lessons." - Molly Weasley
Old May 6th, 2011, 2:39 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Alohomora would have unlocked the door in a matter of seconds. If he'd used further magical means, he would have been acting blatantly against Dolores, and he would need to go undercover from the ministry sooner. It seems to me that he was hoping for that not to happen until it absolutely had to.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old May 6th, 2011, 3:21 am
Hogwarts Graduate

So I am rereading the books , nice and slowly not devouring them like I usually do and some questions pop into mind,I can sort of explain them in my head, but I would like to know other people perception to be sure mine is accurate.

1. In OotP why doesnt moody just take Harry side along appariting instead of the order turning up to protect him via broomstick.

2.When the Inquisitional squad get the DA , Malfoy diarms Harry under Umbridge orders, what happened here. Draco did take Harry´s wand against his will, shouldn´t Harry´s wand had changed alligiance?

3. Why are Fred and George able to fly away from school, I thought Hogwarts was protected, did that mean, anyone can get out but not get in? Then why did Ron and Harry get to HOgwarts via flying car?

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old May 6th, 2011, 3:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
1. In OotP why doesnt moody just take Harry side along appariting instead of the order turning up to protect him via broomstick.
I've a feeling Jo answered this but I can't remember what she said! My feeling is that as Harry was still under age, apparating would have shown up as magic at #4 Privet Drive and Harry was already in trouble with the Ministry for the Patronus Charm. Broomsticks wouldn't have shown up as they aren't a spell, if you see what I mean.

Quote:
2.When the Inquisitional squad get the DA , Malfoy diarms Harry under Umbridge orders, what happened here. Draco did take Harry´s wand against his will, shouldn´t Harry´s wand had changed alligiance?
Good point. It should have changed allegiance as Harry didn't win it back, Ron gave it to him - same applies to Hermione's wand. Is it a mistake on Jo's part? Might be worth putting this in the Book Mistakes thread if no-one comes up with an answer.

Quote:
3. Why are Fred and George able to fly away from school, I thought Hogwarts was protected, did that mean, anyone can get out but not get in? Then why did Ron and Harry get to HOgwarts via flying car?
Dumbledore didn't put the protections up until HBP I think when he increased protection on the castle generally. Of course it may be that you could fly out but not in - I don't think there's evidence either way. I think it was only apparating that you couldn't do.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old May 6th, 2011, 3:58 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
That was the criteria for the Elder Wand. Other wands pick their wizards based on other factors, mainly personality and skill set. The wandlore for the Elder Wand is presented separately, though.

Imagine if all wands worked the same way as the Elder one- Severus would never have been able to cast a successful spell on any of the Marauder's, I'd say.

Quote:
3. Why are Fred and George able to fly away from school, I thought Hogwarts was protected, did that mean, anyone can get out but not get in? Then why did Ron and Harry get to Hogwarts via flying car?
I don't think that Hogwarts was given that sort of protection until after Voldemort's return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I've a feeling Jo answered this but I can't remember what she said! My feeling is that as Harry was still under age, apparating would have shown up as magic at #4 Privet Drive and Harry was already in trouble with the Ministry for the Patronus Charm. Broomsticks wouldn't have shown up as they aren't a spell, if you see what I mean.
I don't think that the trace had anything to do with it, as Tonks blatantly uses charms to help Harry pack. It seems that the Ministry knew of the operation.

I think that the only really likely explanation I can think of is that they didn't want to risk splinching, and that it is more common with side-along.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray

Last edited by willfitz; May 6th, 2011 at 4:03 am.
Old May 6th, 2011, 8:14 am
Third Year

Quote:
Maybe it doesn't work that way since Draco took the wand because Umbridge told him to? and he wasn't trying to take it for himself? Wand rules are so complicated

Old May 6th, 2011, 8:56 am
Second Year

Ya it seems like if the wand is won in a legit duel there are different rules... unlike just disarming. In that case, expelliarmus would be a much more difficult, intense spell.

Old May 6th, 2011, 9:00 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
That was the criteria for the Elder Wand. Other wands pick their wizards based on other factors, mainly personality and skill set. The wandlore for the Elder Wand is presented separately, though.
Exactly. The Elder Wand's only criteria is to choose the strongest (which is why it jumps from wizard to wizard, because one who is defeated is no longer the strongest). Other wands have stronger bonds, and thus are not so quick to change allegiance.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalguy View Post
Exactly. The Elder Wand's only criteria is to choose the strongest (which is why it jumps from wizard to wizard, because one who is defeated is no longer the strongest). Other wands have stronger bonds, and thus are not so quick to change allegiance.
When Harry asks Ollivander about Draco's wand, Ollivander says "Subtle laws govern wand ownership, but the conquered wand will usually bend its will to its new master." He also tells Ron of Pettigrew's wand "Yes, if you won it, it is more likely to do your bidding and do it well, than another wand." He doesn't mention what happens if you get your wand back without winning it.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:42 pm
Malum Veneficus

Maybe it didn't switch loyalties, because Harry wsan't fighting back, (i.e it was not a duel)? It wouldn't be fair if his wand switched alleigance when he didn't have a chance to fight back.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old May 6th, 2011, 9:10 pm
Sixth Year

I'm guessing that just because you got disarmed or beaten in a duel doesn't mean that you lose complete ownership of the wand. It probably means that the other person can use it as well.

Old May 6th, 2011, 11:04 pm
Fourth Year

I think it might be a mixture of the two ideas - 'normal' wands having stronger alliances than just the most powerful and defeating a person meaning that the wand switches allegiances. If a wand is taken off it's master then it will switch allegiances to whomever defeated its master, but it doesn't have to be defeated by the original master for it to switch back to them. I don't know if that makes much sense but it makes sense with the example given of Malfoy disarming Harry in OotP: Harry is disarmed by Malfoy so the wand will switch allegiances to Malfoy, but Harry doesn't have to defeat Malfoy for the wand to switch again because it's already loyal to him. If Malfoy were to use Harry's wand before Harry getting it back, then it would work just as well as his own wand. Hope that made a bit of sense.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:18 pm
Second Year

Who was the real owner of the Elder Wand after Dumbledore, before Harry? I might be really slow... but was it really Draco? Because I thought Dumbledore had planned Snape to own it? And how did that happen?

Drarry | Romione | Lupin/Tonks
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:39 pm
Second Year

The Elder Wand was Snape's.
Snape killed Dumbledore, but he didn't take the wand and it was kept with Dumbledore in his coffin. Voldemort got the wand from the coffin, but it wouldn't work as it should for him, because the wand was Snape's. That's why he then killed Snape.

At least, that's what I got from it.

Old May 6th, 2011, 11:48 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
When Harry asks Ollivander about Draco's wand, Ollivander says "Subtle laws govern wand ownership, but the conquered wand will usually bend its will to its new master." He also tells Ron of Pettigrew's wand "Yes, if you won it, it is more likely to do your bidding and do it well, than another wand." He doesn't mention what happens if you get your wand back without winning it.
I thought I remembered something about it being different with underage wizards too.....but I don't know where I got that from. It may just be a figment of my imagination, but I thought I would mention it in case someone else might remember something similar

But in the OotP situation, the wands were taken back by Ron & company from Draco & company by force, after they disabled them with curses. Ron is the one who hands Harry & Hermione their wands back in the forest. Ron, assuming he was the one who retrieved the wands, didn't want the allegiance of Harry & Hermione's wands, he only wanted to get them back for them. The wand never gave allegiance to Ron; it had been force-ably taken from Draco & company, so it no longer had allegiance to them for winning them. The easiest thing for the wand to do was to return to its rightful owner- that was where its allegiance was the strongest still.

I think, going with Ollivander's 'subtle laws' theory, that a typical wand doesn't transfer allegiance easily. The new master would have to use for awhile before the wand would adopt to it new owner like it did its original owner. We see people borrowing or even using other wands after being taken by force, like in POA when Sirius ends up with Snape's wand (and I'm still not sure how Snape ends up with his own or how Lupin got his back-lol....I have my theories though).

Hopefully my babbling makes sense

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References