Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore

Old June 17th, 2011, 8:27 pm
First Year

Re: Pottermore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerstone View Post

Wouldn't it be so very Jo-like to send (virtual) us on a quest for data through the Hogwarts grounds?
Quite.
One does wonder how many times the site will crash upon opening.

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:53 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocoron View Post
Thats exactly what I think it might be. A sort of combination of roleplaying, with lots of little pieces of information everywhere that people collect as they go along. Along with sections for fanfiction, general forum discussions etc.
That would be really cool. Immersive, interactive, informative - I love the idea of having a game with official storylines connected to the Harry Potter books. Jo does seem to really like using things like riddles, puzzles, treasure hunts, etc... that allow fans to figure things out on their own. A game like that could work very well as a companion to the series and provide a lot of those extra details about the characters, places, subplots, etc... that many fans would so dearly love to have. Myself included.

I had another thought as well. They did say that the announcement was not regarding a new book, but technically the Scottish book would not be a new book in the HP series. It would be a companion book providing more information about the HP series. So I wouldn't rule out this announcement having something to do with the encyclopedia just yet.

All this is making me feel very nostalgic - going over every scrap of information we've been given with a fine tooth comb to analyze and look for clues.... Such good times.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I would love that idea Especially if it's stories like the prequel. It would definitely count as being "JKR's next big project" and it could include information that we want in the encyclopedia as well but it would be short stories instead of just information. The problem is it doesn't seem to fit with what some of the fansites said about the site be "breathtaking"
I can't think of the sources right now, but this is how I understood the encyclopedia WOULD be. In traditional format would be a little dry for Jo. Although she made it work for the schoolbooks. But i recall reading somewhere that it would include little stories too. I don't know, maybe it was a dream.

Chocoron and Meesha: precisely what I was imagining! I think it will be everything we could speculate and more!

Pet: Screech owl named Artemis

"...what is easy is often not right."
with a twist of but CoS says i'm
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Second Year

I think its going to be an MMORPG. Think about it, the owls are gathering. Owls deliver the letter to say youre accepted into hogwarts. The owls are gathering to invite us into hogwarts in the form of the game... im excited!!!

"We dont want any more dobbys, do we? We cant order them to die for us-"

"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"

Sorted!
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:24 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
I had another thought as well. They did say that the announcement was not regarding a new book, but technically the Scottish book would not be a new book in the HP series. It would be a companion book providing more information about the HP series. So I wouldn't rule out this announcement having something to do with the encyclopedia just yet.
I would definitely rule out any encyclopedia that comes in book-form. Everything I have read has made sure to say that there is no new book coming. It could be some interactive encyclopedia, but I think it is pretty definitive that it will not be THE Scottish book that we've been expecting.

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:32 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLiddell View Post
Quite.
One does wonder how many times the site will crash upon opening.
I believe you are refering to a new virtual quest site opening up. But that got me thinking. So many people are waiting for this announcement and, so how many sites are going to crash when the announcement does become available because everyone is trying to get information at once?

Also please note, that another owl has just arrived. That makes seven, eight if you count the one flying in the background, and nine if you count the picture.

Proud Ravenclaw
(Both CoS and Jo agree)

Pottermore: RoseSparks

Wand: Ash with Unicorn; 10 3/4 inches; hard

Finally a Pottermore Beta Tester August 29!
Old June 18th, 2011, 1:22 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLiddell
Thanks! I'm not sure, though that is a good theory. I can't find any way that either date is significant, not on her site nor the MN news archive. The Feb 4 date didn't include a year, so that makes me think it was this past year. But why then...?
My own quick search has also yielded nothing for February 4. From MuggleNet, February 4, 2011 announces nothing incredibly noteworthy, but February 3 mentions "The latest Wizarding World expansion rumors: Diagon Alley and Gringotts to be built, open in 2013?" But a link to the theme park is, I think, stretching speculation.

From MuggleNet archives, February 4, 2008: New JKR interview with XLSemanal, but that was just the electronic release date of the interview.

Harry Potter Wiki claims February 4 is the day "1994: Rolanda Hooch admires Harry Potter's Firebolt and reminisces about her old Silver Arrow." Some facts about the day that they also provide are: "4 February is the 35th day of the year. There are 330 days remaining (331 in leap years) until the end of the year."

But search results on the HP Lexicon and Accio-Quote came up empty for relevance to February 4. I cannot glean any significance from that day, but perhaps it is better hidden than my quick research can reveal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart
(I can't find the text related to the last letter, though... the one from the twitter page)
Oops! I forgot that one:
  • Twitter, @pottermore
    Coordinates: 53.476311,-2.22971
    Letter: M
    Location: Manchester Station - The train line between Manchester and London is where J.K. Rowling first conceived the idea of Harry Potter.
I think that is a fitting final location. I am trying not to look too much into possible clues, but I still feel like there must be a connection between the 10 chosen locations (and accompanying descriptions) and Pottermore.

For instance, 6 of the locations reference a topic from the books (King's Cross, Forest of Dean, Salem Witches' Institute/Quidditch World Cup, Woollong Warriors Quidditch team, Erumpent, Toyohashi Tengu), whereas the other 4 reference JKR's experience in the Muggle world with her books (Toronto Skydome, Phoenix Rising Convention in New Orleans, Brazilian fan site [Potter Heaven?], and Manchester Station). Significance? Connections among these 10 places/Potter references?

As users continue to discuss the gathering of the owls, I wonder what could be the significance of the types of owls. I note 5 barn owls and 2 horned or eagle (or possibly scops or screech - though those are both much smaller than barn, unlike in the pictures) owls.

All of these owls have relevance in the Potter series.

The Longbottoms own a barn owl; the owl in the promotional poster for the first film (bearing Harry's Hogwarts letter) is a Great Horned Owl; the Malfoys have an eagle owl; Scops owls are used by the Hogsmeade post office (and possibly what Pigwidgeon is); and Percy's owl, Hermes, is a screech owl. Thoughts?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 18th, 2011, 1:26 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Harry Potter Wiki claims February 4 is the day "1994: Rolanda Hooch admires Harry Potter's Firebolt and reminisces about her old Silver Arrow." Some facts about the day that they also provide are: "4 February is the 35th day of the year. There are 330 days remaining (331 in leap years) until the end of the year."

But search results on the HP Lexicon and Accio-Quote came up empty for relevance to February 4. I cannot glean any significance from that day, but perhaps it is better hidden than my quick research can reveal.

For instance, 6 of the locations reference a topic from the books (King's Cross, Forest of Dean, Salem Witches' Institute/Quidditch World Cup, Woollong Warriors Quidditch team, Erumpent, Toyohashi Tengu),
I think your own research did answer the February 4th part perhaps. According to that fact about Hooch admiring the firebolt, that technically is another thing to do with Quidditch. So that is 6 locations and one date.

Old June 18th, 2011, 2:18 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I wonder if Pottermore will be a store where we can buy full sized Harry Potter themed brooms. That would be quite cool!

I wonder if Snape and Feb 4 have anything in common.

Peeves wuz here!

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old June 18th, 2011, 2:29 am
First Year

Quote:
I wonder if Snape and Feb 4 have anything in common.
I don't think so. I mean, Snape's birthday is in January, and I can't really think of any other meaningful things that happened in Snape's life around that time...

There seems to be a bunch of things about the WWOHP when you Google "Harry Potter February 4" There's something about the BAFTAs too. I think it might just be a random date that doesn't mean anything.

POTTERMORE BATALLION
Pottermore Username: FireboltShield
Wand: 10 3/4 Inches, Alder and Unicorn Hair, Unyeilding
Signature by GryffSoldier
Old June 18th, 2011, 3:00 am
First Year

I dont think I care what Pottermore is right now ( be a MMO, online encyclopedia). As long as there are extra tidbits and information regarding the universe of Harry Potter, im good.

" Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love."

Old June 18th, 2011, 3:03 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amortentia_13 View Post
I dont think I care what Pottermore is right now ( be a MMO, online encyclopedia). As long as there are extra tidbits and information regarding the universe of Harry Potter, im good.
That's how I feel as well.

Old June 18th, 2011, 3:32 am
Registered Animagus

Maybe it's a mistake?

I think JKR intended to set up a PARAMORE tribute site, but she made a typo.

Old June 18th, 2011, 4:20 am
First Year

I'm so captivated by this whole thing, I can't even start... JEJGTIOFIGT GODANNE ROWLING

Proud to be a ravey Ravenclaw.
Old June 18th, 2011, 4:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
Maybe it's a mistake?

I think JKR intended to set up a PARAMORE tribute site, but she made a typo.
hahaha maybe

Old June 18th, 2011, 4:29 am
Zonko's Employee

It's really bothering me that we have to wait so long! I just wanna know what it is, I'm not into the whole speculating thing. I probably won't get really excited until I find out what it is and like the idea. Right now, I'm just happy and relieved that HP doesn't have to end, that perhaps it will NEVER end. Even so though, it depends on what it is. Considering Jo is behind it, I'm sure it will be worthwhile at the least and freaking amazing at the most!

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old June 18th, 2011, 4:57 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horcri7 View Post
I don't think so. I mean, Snape's birthday is in January, and I can't really think of any other meaningful things that happened in Snape's life around that time...

There seems to be a bunch of things about the WWOHP when you Google "Harry Potter February 4" There's something about the BAFTAs too. I think it might just be a random date that doesn't mean anything.
On Febuaray 4th, 211 - Roman Emperor Septimius Severus dies at Eboracum (modern York, England) while preparing to lead a campaign against the Caledonians.He leaves the empire in the control of his two quarrelling sons.

Interesting reference,no?

Also on Feb 4th is when Facebook was first launched, could it be a reference to an online social media website?

I REALLY Had Always Trusted Severus Snape!!
"Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!" ~ Albus Dumbledore

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=79218
Old June 18th, 2011, 5:13 am
First Year

The number of quidditch references gleamed is quite interesting. I wonder whether an element of the site includes rooting for your favourite quidditch team, and playing games to support your team.
What I'm thinking of is the Altador Cup from Neopets. They have 32 teams, and Neopians play Cup-related games in order to win points for their teams. Then at the end of the cup, the team with the most points wins and then prizes are given out.
Of course, I would guess that this is only a part of the entire MMORPG experience, just like how Neopets has other functions and games, the quidditch teams element would be a tiny aspect of the huge RPG I'm looking forward to. =)

Oh and I have another speculation about the Feb 4th Clue - It's my birthday, so obviously that's a VERY important date which JK Rowling would choose.

Just Saying =D

Old June 18th, 2011, 5:52 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeWayne View Post
The number of quidditch references gleamed is quite interesting. I wonder whether an element of the site includes rooting for your favourite quidditch team, and playing games to support your team.
What I'm thinking of is the Altador Cup from Neopets. They have 32 teams, and Neopians play Cup-related games in order to win points for their teams. Then at the end of the cup, the team with the most points wins and then prizes are given out.
Of course, I would guess that this is only a part of the entire MMORPG experience, just like how Neopets has other functions and games, the quidditch teams element would be a tiny aspect of the huge RPG I'm looking forward to. =)

Oh and I have another speculation about the Feb 4th Clue - It's my birthday, so obviously that's a VERY important date which JK Rowling would choose.

Just Saying =D
There were a lot of Quidditch correlations with those clues. It's also interesting that Feb 4 was the day that Harry first got to ride his new Firebolt in POA - McGonagall gave it back to him the night before.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old June 18th, 2011, 6:26 am
MODLY CREW

I have really no idea what it could be but I'm excited for whatever is coming. It's so great to hear from JKR and start guessing and speculating again. I missed this.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References