Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things that bothered you about the final film

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:50 am
Fifth Year

Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

This isn't about DH2 specifically, but was the fact that Snape told Voldemort about the prophecy revealed at any point? I can't remember. Alan Rickman's Snape, as great as he is, is already quite a bit softened from the book and that exclusion...cements it.

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:55 am
First Year

maybe we see harry repairing the wand in the deleted scenes, and the cheering when voldy died.

Old July 17th, 2011, 5:04 am
Sixth Year

I'd kind of like to hear about scenes we heard or saw about that weren't in the finished film. Asking Harry why he lives is gone. The scene where Bellatrix does her little dance saying they won, is gone, I blink and miss if Percy was there. We see the Bank laid low but not the attack on it, which we had heard about. Any others people noticed that we thought we would get, but didn't,. quite? Also, the scene in Hogsmeade...seems different than the previews we got. Done from a different angle. And when they are still outside and hiding, it doesn't look like the trio are looking up at a light, as it seemed in the publicity still, just looking up.

Old July 17th, 2011, 5:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyEvans13060 View Post
I don't get it either. First, Voldemort would never ever physically touch Harry. We have seen what happens when they touch, and it doesn't turn out well for him. Second, they fell off a tower! Wizards are human! Wouldn't they have died or at least been injured? Harry anyways.
I think that was Harry's intention when he made Voldemort fall off the cliff with him. Voldemort can fly though, and I think Harry must have had a good hold on him. It looked like Voldemort was pulling at his face or something. I didn't like the falling part either though. I did like the battle, but not that part.

Join HOL Virtual Hogwarts. Longest running Virtual Hogwarts
July 22/09- Student sign ups are now open!
Old July 17th, 2011, 5:58 am
Fourth Year

Biggest gripes:

The movie needed Fred's death, and I would have liked to have seen more dueling during the battles. I would have liked to have seen the students fighting for Hogwarts.

My other gripe is that I felt some of the scenes could have been stretched a bit and transitioned better into the next scenes. Maybe a little longer at Shell Cottage (loved the detail of Shell Cottage, by the way! All the shells in the walls in Olivander's room...)

Old July 17th, 2011, 6:04 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
This isn't about DH2 specifically, but was the fact that Snape told Voldemort about the prophecy revealed at any point? I can't remember. Alan Rickman's Snape, as great as he is, is already quite a bit softened from the book and that exclusion...cements it.
No, we do not learn this about Snape in the movies.

We do, on the other hand, learn that he was/is a Death Eater (GoF).

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old July 17th, 2011, 6:09 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
And was I mistaken, or did Harry not have a scar in the King's Cross scene?
No he did not. I think the film wanted us to believe the scar vanished along with the curse. I need to see it again to see if Harry has it at the end of the film before the epilogue.

About the prophecy and Snape. We dont learn he was the one who gave it to Voldy. HOWEVER during the Prince's Tale we hear Dumbledore say: "The prophecy does not speak of a woman...it speaks of a boy..." So it is actually mentioned there. Still, how Voldy knows about it remains unclear.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old July 17th, 2011, 6:21 am
First Year

Quote:
And was I mistaken, or did Harry not have a scar in the King's Cross scene?
It's there, but very faint. I didn't see it until I specifically focused on that spot on Harry's forehead.

Old July 17th, 2011, 6:48 am
Fourth Year

looking at all the comments will definitely make me crack open the book!!!! we potterfolk are perfectionists.....lol! I really wanted more Snape and Lily footage... a true love story, even if one sided....

Old July 17th, 2011, 9:22 am
First Year

Overall I really enjoyed this film, but there were little things that bothered me.

1: James in Snape's memories having a red hair and no glasses.
2: the Death Eaters group laughing was so forced
3: the Dumbledore/ Alberforth / Ariana story not being fully explored.
4: the aftermath of Voldemort's demise the scene sort of fizzled out. I think this would've been better handled if everyone had witnessed Harry defeat Voldemort once and for all and celebrated!
5: the quickness of Harry discovering Remus and Tonks body on the ground.

FINALLY

7: Harry destroying the Elder Wand without even repairing his own!

Check it out.
Pottermore: QueenJinx40, Slytherin, wand: Hawthorn and unicorn hair, 11 and 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:17 am
Zonko's Employee

What bothered me:-

- The inclusion of the ruined part of Voldemort's soul, at King's Cross. I loathe the disturbing image of the 'flayed baby' in the book, and I thought its inclusion in the film was unnecessary - it was gross.

- The ending was weirdly muted. I wanted a more cathartic, triumphant conclusion to a ten year franchise. It was too downbeat.

- If you're not going to include Ariana's backstory, there's no point in including her, period. As nice as her portrait was!

- I dislike how Harry only finds out the truth about Snape through sheer, dumb luck. This is not the fault of the film-makers though - they merely replicated a problem I have with the book. I just think that both Snape and Harry deserved better.

I liked the film, by the way. . But, yep, these things did bother me!

Old July 17th, 2011, 2:33 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
When i saw this I instantly thought: people who really, really hate Snape may end up hating the movie as well. I think the way they did it was fine because the prophecy isn't detailed much in the film series.
I don't like Snape at all and i agree that he came off too much as a saint in the film, but i think i was in the end glad that so little of the memories had to do with Snape/Lily, which i hate, because i thought they would imply that she liked him and i was relieved they didn't and left most of it out.

I think they did do James a great disservice in the memories though by not showing the fact that Snape called Lily a mudblood and that he was a death eater at some point. I mean Snape was a death eater. He was not a good man.

Old July 17th, 2011, 2:53 pm
Second Year

NO Percy
NO Wood.

These 2 really annoyed me, Wood was in the trailers and Percy..did the actor even get cast for this film?!

Old July 17th, 2011, 2:55 pm
First Year

The things that bothered me were Fred, Tonks and Lupin's deaths. I thought they were too quick, and were rushed through. I wanted Fred's one to be like it was in the book, when he'd forgiven Percy as it made it sadder.

Also, the fact that when they were in Bellatrix's vault, the gold was meant to burn them. That didn't happen in the film, or if it did it was so brief I didn't notice.

And, in neither of the Deathly Hallows films was it mentioned that Harry's Invisibility Cloak was the third Deathly Hallow, or that he was related to the Peverell brothers, and I thought that was quite important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willz View Post
NO Percy
NO Wood.

These 2 really annoyed me, Wood was in the trailers and Percy..did the actor even get cast for this film?!
I saw Percy during Neville's speach, he was standing behind Molly. But, I think he should have got a better part, like in the book. Annoyed about Wood though, but I don't remember seeing him in the trailer. Must've missed him.

Fred & George Weasley

Look for me on Pottermore: BladeFeather143

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiisiie_08 View Post
I saw Percy during Neville's speach, he was standing behind Molly. But, I think he should have got a better part, like in the book. Annoyed about Wood though, but I don't remember seeing him in the trailer. Must've missed him.
There's a brief shot on the TV ad of someone riding a broom during the battle and calling people to fly with him. I didn't know who it was, but it could very well have been Wood. That scene wasn't in the film.

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Holeyness View Post
There's a brief shot on the TV ad of someone riding a broom during the battle and calling people to fly with him. I didn't know who it was, but it could very well have been Wood. That scene wasn't in the film.
I saw that bit in the film. I think it was when Harry, Ron and Hermione were going to find Voldemort and Nagini, just before Snape died.

Fred & George Weasley

Look for me on Pottermore: BladeFeather143

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:15 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Holeyness View Post
Yeah this part was in the film. It was the person flying over the entrance courtyard right before they show the trio running down the stairs to enter the courtyard on their way to the boathouse.

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:18 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiisiie_08 View Post
The things that bothered me were Fred, Tonks and Lupin's deaths. I thought they were too quick, and were rushed through. I wanted Fred's one to be like it was in the book, when he'd forgiven Percy as it made it sadder.

Also, the fact that when they were in Bellatrix's vault, the gold was meant to burn them. That didn't happen in the film, or if it did it was so brief I didn't notice.

And, in neither of the Deathly Hallows films was it mentioned that Harry's Invisibility Cloak was the third Deathly Hallow, or that he was related to the Peverell brothers, and I thought that was quite important.

Percy was there? What was the point of bringing him back

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Third Year

Overall, I loved the movie, but here are my quibbles:

Agree with many--I was waiting for Ron to hug Harry too

Teddy as afterthought--all they would have had to do is slip in another line or two in one of the movies, not like they'd have had to have written a whole scene around it.

Percy's just suddenly there--another thing that would have taken 10 seconds to make clear

As a Ravenclaw, would have been nice to see the common room, but that wasn't a biggie for me

Harry not casting a Patronus in Hogsmeade and that whole scene where Aberforth says it was a goat--I mean they had set him up with the goat thing in OotP, why not use it?

It didn't click with me at the time "how did Luna get to the common room and what would she have told them already?" until I read it here, but it is a bit odd--again. Have to go back to the book and read how she really got there, but again, a quick line of dialog during the "Lightning has struck" scene or something like that could have made it clear.

Neville not telling Voldemort to bugger off and killing Nagini, that whole thing, right in front of everyone

Would like to have Molly's emotions and intensity overwhelm even Bella's horrific intensity in one big moment rather than have her look like she was struggling.

Would have liked a little more individual duelling, both in the duels where someone died, and those where they didn't--and more like JKR did it, with sometimes people getting distracted from a duel, or someone helping out with someone else's duel that was going badly, as they ran by on a mission elsewhere, etc.

Kept wondering why Harry's parents and friends were all standing 20 feet back from him in the forest--and agree there should have been more interaction with James

Would have liked to have seen Harry tell Voldemort to try for some remorse, and the whole how/why Voldy dies during the duel was a bit unclear, as well as why Harry's alive, what the thing under the chair was, all that.

I didn't like the "Voldy knows when his Horcruxes die" thing. Also didn't like the "Harry can hear the Horcruxes when he gets near them" but could kind of live with that one. But Voldemort feeling/knowing/getting weaker when they were destroyed seemed like a big canon-breaker to me. And besides, who wants a battle at the climax of a huge series of movies where the hero is fighting a villian who is a fraction of his strongest self? The book version (Jo is brilliant) of this plotline kept Harry from fighting a seriously weakened Voldemort at the end.

Didn't really like the 'take all the Slytherins away' thing, and Slughorn not really saying anything, but recognized that as a sort of movie shorthand and shrugged. Would have been nice to see a couple 'decent' Slytherins refusing to leave, though. Would have added some depth

Would have liked to have seen Harry fix his wand with the Elder Wand. It may not have been on him at the time, but since he broke the Elder Wand during a scene of "wandering around some time afterward", surely they could have had a way to get it, or Hermione having kept it in some pocket or something

Would have been nice to see some of the bit of the trio coming to the conclusion that Harry's cloak was the cloak

Yes, the scar was there, but very faint. Like TheAUnSnitch, I thought to specifically look for it and then could just make it out.

Quote:
Second, they fell off a tower! Wizards are human! Wouldn't they have died or at least been injured? Harry anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulgirl86 View Post
I think that was Harry's intention when he made Voldemort fall off the cliff with him.
Yes, that was clearly the idea, that Harry was willing to go down if he could take Voldemort with him. The moment I saw the ads I knew it was a total steal from Sherlock Holmes at Reichenback Falls, willing to be killed himself if he could take Moriarty out. Steve Kloves is a big Sherlock fan maybe?

Okay, I better stop with the quibbles, before people start thinking I didn't like this movie, which I really did!

Last edited by Rookie_Angel; July 17th, 2011 at 3:28 pm.
Old July 17th, 2011, 3:28 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
Yeah this part was in the film. It was the person flying over the entrance courtyard right before they show the trio running down the stairs to enter the courtyard on their way to the boathouse.
Really? I must have missed that bit somehow.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies