Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore v7

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:45 pm
Second Year

Re: Pottermore v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LornaRose View Post
I thought I had 5 choices. I was half-asleep, though...so it could've been 4! lol!

As for getting a pet - I'll be we'll have to buy those, but I'm sure the option will be there! At least I hope so!
Does anyone know how we will be able to earn money in the game? Will it be one of those things where you can enter in your credit card and buy more money? Or is completely determined by how you do in the game?

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:46 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneAnne View Post
Does anyone know how we will be able to earn money in the game? Will it be one of those things where you can enter in your credit card and buy more money? Or is completely determined by how you do in the game?
No- JKR is adamant that Pottermore is completely free. So, galleons are probably earned by playing games etc.

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix903 View Post
I think by 'shaping the experience', we'll basically be trialling it for them. I think the whole 'early admissions' thing is very clever, because for one it builds up the hype. Also, it means that they can stagger people joining, so that the site does not crash. And it means that if there is a problem or error on the site in the early stages, they can fall back on the fact that it's the trial run. Because, let's face it, 1 million isn't exactly a select few, is it?

I don't know how well I worded that and if anyone will understand it at all, but it made sense in my head
Makes sense to me!

"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."

Sparkswing90 -- Acacia and Dragon, Eleven and a Half inches, Brittle -- Pottermore! -- CoS
Old August 1st, 2011, 8:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
This has probably been asked, but do you guys think that along with wands and everything else....you'll be able to choose an Owl or a Cat or something?
Well from what I've read we go to Diagon Alley can buy things with our in-game galleons. Since there is both Magical Menagerie and Eyelops Owl Emporium in Diagon Alley and the latter was used in a clue I'm sure we'll be able to. It would make sense since we're meant to go through Hogwarts normally.

Love how the books will never get old
Live the lessons that Harry teaches us
Pottermore Username: LumosHazel177-GRYFFINDOR
Old August 1st, 2011, 8:50 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Posting your own Pottermore username
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollysHowler View Post
How is the following off topic?

It is totally on topic! I'm not trying to derail or cause problems but I think that is one to far, even for cos.

Your members are excited and are sharing pottermore information on the pottermore thread, is there a specific thread for the cos members to post their pottermore usernames?
Maybe some folks who haven't made it in yet might get upset that others are, in some way, rubbing their nose in it. Or maybe it's that it's too peripherally related to Pottermore (it is, after all, two words each drawn randomly from a short list plus a number) and doesn't advance the discussion in any way. Hard to say. I'd owl an admin if you're really curious.

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:51 pm
First Year

[staff edit].
I wonder what kind of questions Jk is making. Does anybody know of an example of one somewhere? I'm trying to keep an open mind about which house I'm going to be put in because this is as close as we get to an actual Sorting Hat!
I'm also very curious at the type of wand I'm going to get. Since there are so many wands to get, I wonder what some of the new cores are going to be. Any ideas?

Last edited by Melaszka; August 1st, 2011 at 8:53 pm. Reason: Off-topic
Old August 1st, 2011, 8:51 pm
First Year

I am confused as i got into Pottermore but have not kept up to date on anything to do with it.

So for some items do you use real money?

Too close to being a spoiler....
Old August 1st, 2011, 8:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarauder View Post
For those of you who are in, did you still get a choice of five or were you simply assigned a username? I was just curious if the beta gets the choice. Thanks!
it was a choice of five in a book and you selected one, you will see!!

"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Caesar
"It takes much bravery to stand up to our enemies but we need as much bravery to stand up to our friends."
J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
Proud member of the Badgers!!!
Old August 1st, 2011, 8:53 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorngirl View Post
I am confused as i got into Pottermore but have not kept up to date on anything to do with it.

So for some items do you use real money?
No- everything is free. (Except, obviously, buying the e-books.)

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:53 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix903 View Post
I think by 'shaping the experience', we'll basically be trialling it for them. I think the whole 'early admissions' thing is very clever, because for one it builds up the hype. Also, it means that they can stagger people joining, so that the site does not crash. And it means that if there is a problem or error on the site in the early stages, they can fall back on the fact that it's the trial run. Because, let's face it, 1 million isn't exactly a select few, is it?

I don't know how well I worded that and if anyone will understand it at all, but it made sense in my head
Those are common reasons for any beta. And yes, my guess is that they all apply to Pottermore. One more thing is that the beta population will be, to some extent, self-selecting; they'll be the sort of people most likely to be familiar with the books and therefore more able than average to point out potential inaccuracies (with respect to canon). And of course, they tend to be more passionate about HP, and so will be more likely to test how well Pottermore can handle peak load situations.

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:54 pm
First Year

To answer a lot of those shopping questions:

Spoiler: show
I attended LeakyCon and got to see the sneak-peaks of Pottermore and they showed us Diagon Alley. You get to purchase your animal, wand, school supplies (make sure you do or you won't be able to get house points from school lessons), and etc. You get to do everything Harry Potter did in the book.

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
For those of you who are in, did you still get a choice of five or were you simply assigned a username? I was just curious if the beta gets the choice. Thanks!
I got a choice of 5.

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:56 pm
First Year

Quote:
So I was looking at screencaps from the registration process and I saw the final banner seems to ask what books you've read and what films you've seen. Please confirm if this is correct, those of you who have registered. If that is some sort of filter to protect people from spoilers, that's awesome!
Somehow I doubt it, though it could indeed be, or maybe they'll give you a warning "You told us you hadn't read this book yet" type thing.

I think it's more likely that they're just collecting info about us, to see how much of us are 'diehard' fans, how much of us have only seen the movies etc so that they can develop Pottermore in a certain way. E.g 70% of users have read all the books so we can develop it more this way. I haven't explained it well, but that's what I reckon.

Second Year

Question: are the numbers behind our usernames random or in order? I mean, are there already 26 other people with my name?

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAuthor13 View Post
No- everything is free. (Except, obviously, buying the e-books.)
Thank you as i was starting to get concerned . Just reading the last few pages i am now getting a little excited. It seems like a lot of work has gone into this and it will hopefully pay off.

I just hope i get into gryffindor and not hufflepuff

Too close to being a spoiler....
Old August 1st, 2011, 8:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart View Post
Question: are the numbers behind our usernames random or in order? I mean, are there already 26 other people with my name?
From what i've seen i'm guessing they're randomised. I haven't seen anyone else with a name similar to mine and i'm 112!!

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart View Post
I don't think so. I think it's a completely random formula that puts 2 words from a designated list together and then 2 or 3 random numbers after it.

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:59 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucioYou View Post
To answer a lot of those shopping questions:

Spoiler: show
I attended LeakyCon and got to see the sneak-peaks of Pottermore and they showed us Diagon Alley. You get to purchase your animal, wand, school supplies (make sure you do or you won't be able to get house points from school lessons), and etc. You get to do everything Harry Potter did in the book.
I think the question about wands was about real physical wands. Not wands in Pottermore. Lots of folks would like to purchase a real version of the wand that chooses them in Pottermore. I don't see why it couldn't happen. I understand that Pottermore is intended to be free, but this is not an in-world item; it's a souvenir. So I think it could be offered as a licensed item, just like the e-book.

There is, of course, a technical issue in that the wands are fairly specific. It's rather likely that you won't be able to purchase your exact wand. I heard something to the effect that there are about 33,000 distinct wands. To a math guy, that is a somewhat suggestive number: It's fairly close to 32,768, and maybe they'll have something like four different cores, eight different woods, four different lengths, and various other options, all multiplying out to 32,768. (That's 2 to the 15th power, in case you're wondering.)

Old August 1st, 2011, 9:00 pm
First Year

I didn't know sharing my username was not allowed in my post at all

I've been lurking these threads for a while and earlier I saw a thread someone made to share usernames, but a mod locked it stating they should post here. Now they are saying we can't? Very confused on this.
I would like to share usernames, because I like looking at all the possible combinations.

Old August 1st, 2011, 9:02 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post

Also - do you get to choose your username, or is it assigned to you? I recall hearing that usernames are assigned, not chosen.
You get five choices and you get to pick one.

Pottermore Battalion
Sorted Ravenclaw on Pottermore
Wand: Length-12 1/4 Wood-Yew Core-Unicorn Hair Flexibility-Surprisingly Swishy

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References